And the Klebbie for worst model work in a film....page 137

Comments

“Die Another Day” remains the only Bond song I’ve ever heard on a store radio. Adele’s music comes up, but never “Skyfall”.

I would concur with you, with one major exception. I hear "Live and Let Die" played often...maybe not so much in a chain department store, but it's around. A coworker plays the oldies and I swear that song is played daily.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    JamesStock wrote: »
    “Die Another Day” remains the only Bond song I’ve ever heard on a store radio. Adele’s music comes up, but never “Skyfall”.

I would concur with you, with one major exception. I hear "Live and Let Die" played often...maybe not so much in a chain department store, but it's around. A coworker plays the oldies and I swear that song is played daily.

The strangest place I ever heard a Bond track was in a nightclub. It was GoldenEye.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,093
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    It could well be that If You Asked Me To was chosen to ease the audience, maybe because Licence To Kill was the first Bond film that took us into Bond's Dark World portrayed effectively by Dalton....I think EON could have easily reprised Gladys Knight's Licence To Kill, maybe they wanted a happy ending song.

Yeah it's just a romantic song to go with the tone of the ending I guess.

Of course we forgot the rugby club version of Nobody Does It Better! :)
    JamesStock wrote: »

The strangest place I ever heard a Bond track was in a nightclub. It was GoldenEye.

That's a really weird place for GoldenEye! :D
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    “If There Was a Man” is easily the best as far as end titles go. Beautiful melody.

Frankly, I think EON was correct to reject “Surrender” (not that the Sheryl Crow song was any good either). It’s just overproduced pastiche BS. But I get it, it has “the Bond sound” which I think fans put way too much value in. Just because it’s “Bondian” doesn’t make it good.

I agree with “If There Was a Man”; it's a great song.

I actually like "Tomorrow Never Dies" but wish that a stronger vocalist, possibly Whitney Houston or Ann Wilson, had performed it.
    mtm wrote: »
    That's a really weird place for GoldenEye! :D

I actually enjoyed it more in that moment than I did before and have done since. The liquor possibly had something to do with it! ;)
    I had a lot of Bond music at my wedding a few years ago. The instrumental version of If There was a Man by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra was played as guests were entering the ceremony hall, so I have a definite soft spot for this one.
  • Revelator wrote: »
    Ms. Hyde gives the very appropriate lyrics a yearning, seductive charge.

I don't usually comment on typos but can't resist this one: Chrissie's last name is spelled Hynde. I would be interested in seeing her performance of Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde, though...
  • Revelator wrote: »
    I remember one of the old members from KTBEU The White Tuxedo used to describe “If You Asked Me To” as the kind of song you’d hear at a radio in Wal-Mart while waiting in line behind an impatient obese woman yelling at the cashier about not accepting expired coupons while her bratty kids scream and run everywhere.

I'm relatively sure I had that exact experience in a Wal-Mart. Or K-mart. Or if not those, Big Lots or the Dollar Store. The song isn't elevator music--it's what they play when you step out of the elevator. Sonic wallpaper.

I could probably comment all day long on the topic of "Where have you heard Bond Theme songs? Radio, stores, other movies?" My best memory of hearing a theme as muzak in a store was sometime in the mid-seventies, in my local grocery store. The descending instrumental line from "You Only Live Twice" caught my attention. "Oh, that's pretty," I thought. "I recognize that...what is it? Some kind of Bond theme, I think...." Took me a minute to identify it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1 Surrender
    2 Only Myself To Blame
    3 If There Was A Man
    4 If You Asked Me To
    5 The Experience Of Love
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    A tight contest between If There Was a Man and If You Asked Me To, though I really do love all outro songs and wish so badly they brought them back.

The Bondie for me goes to If You Asked Me To in possibly the tightest contest so far.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Do big movies still get 'various artists' soundtracks like they used to? All the blockbusters in the 90s seemed to have various big songs attached to them, but I feel like that doesn't happen so much any more..? I know Black Panther had a big 'inspired by' album, but I can't think of many more.
    Do big movies still get 'various artists' soundtracks like they used to? All the blockbusters in the 90s seemed to have various big songs attached to them, but I feel like that doesn't happen so much any more..? I know Black Panther had a big 'inspired by' album, but I can't think of many more.

Suicide Squad had a very popular one; but before that, the last series to have really had a popular soundtrack compilation with every release, that I can remember, was Twilight.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,093

Suicide Squad had a very popular one; but before that, the last series to have really had a popular soundtrack compilation with every release, that I can remember, was Twilight.

Yeah that sounds right. I'm sure there must be a few we've missed but it does seem much rarer now. For instance the first two Mission Impossibles had pretty well known hit songs that went along with them, and although the series is still running (and probably making even more money) that ended a while ago.
    I remember Batman Forever had two massive songs.

I remember being pleasantly surprised that Star Trek Beyond had an end titles song by Rihanna: it actually felt like a bit of a throwback! It was quite good as well as I recall.

Guardians Of the Galaxy?
    I remember Batman Forever had two massive songs.

One by U2 and the other by Seal! Glorious stuff. I actually still quite like those songs, too! :P

Guardians Of the Galaxy?

That's a good shout, @Thunderfinger! I hadn't thought of those films - they both had big albums with them.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Not sure that GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY counts as that was mostly comprised of songs from the 70s. That's different from soundtracks like BATMAN FOREVER and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II which not only featured brand new recorded songs by contemporary artists but that the songs were actually big hits. In fact, plenty of songs in those albums wouldn't even be featured in the film! It was just a big publicity machine to promote artists, especially if they were under the same company as the movie studio. That said, it's been awhile since we've had a big blockbuster with soundtracks like that.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I think Mortal Kombat(1995) might be the first film to take the 'Various Artists' style to another level. As it featured Metallic bands like Fear Factory and Type O Negative, Plus George S. Clinton's score.

And Yeah along with Radiohead and Coldplay, I love U2....Love their 'Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill me' song from Batman Forever.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I always thought it was quite funny that half of U2 made the GoldenEye song, so the other half went away and made the Mission: Impossible theme single the year after! :D
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I always thought it was quite funny that half of U2 made the GoldenEye song, so the other half went away and made the Mission: Impossible theme single the year after! :D

:D True....I love Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr's take on the Mission Impossible Theme, so modern and futuristic.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    If There Was a Man from LTK
    Octopussy wrote: »

*TLD

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    jobo wrote: »
    Octopussy wrote: »

*TLD

That's what I meant to say... ha!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,013
    As The Dove flies to the centre of the stage humming "Only Myself to Blame". He clears his throat and for the second category in a row we have a TIE!!! The audience is all a titter and now awaits for the sudden death vote.

My dearest academy members we now need to reset the votes and only vote for either one of these songs:
    • Surrender by kd Lang from Tomorrow Never Dies 12 votes
    • If there was a Man by the Pretenders from The Living Daylights 12 votes

Which is the best outro, or end title song of the series?
    Surrender
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Surrender
    Surrender
    Surrender
  • If There Was a Man
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Surrender
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    “If There Was a Man” was the last John Barry piece to ever be heard in a Bond film, and deserves the win more than “Surrender”.