And the Bondie for best real life setting featured in a climax is....page 139

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,053
    Not surprised at the love for If There Was A Man, as it was my close second. I am a bit more surprised at the love for If You Asked Me To!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Surrender by K.D. Lang from TND
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Another end title song that I like is "Adrenaline", which is a play on "Shanghai Drive" in Skyfall. A version that's slightly more fun to drive around to, IMO.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Another end title song that I like is "Adrenaline", which is a play on "Shanghai Drive" in Skyfall. A version that's slightly more fun to drive around to, IMO.

True, 'Shanghai Drive' is one of Newman's better Bond tracks....was good to get a Variation of it in 'Adrenaline'.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,886
    Not surprised at the love for If There Was A Man, as it was my close second. I am a bit more surprised at the love for If You Asked Me To!

That song would be my second choice. Love it!
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 1,009
    vzok wrote: »
    Surrender is the most bondian of the lot, but being a soul-funk addict, I'll go for If You Asked Me To.
    Does Only Myself To Blame appear in TWINE? I remember Moby's version of Monty Norman's theme, but not that sappy, terrible, cacophonous so-called song Scott Walker did. I'd rather listen to LTK's Wedding Party, for Bond's sake!

No it doesn’t.

Thank to all stars of film firmament for that.

• edited June 2020 Posts: 1,009
    Double post. Sorry.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,226
    I think it might be ‘If You Asked Me To’ for me. It strikes me as the only one that really stands apart from the film as a decent song in its own right.
    Runner up would be ‘If There Was A Man’, but it works better as love theme and ends up as a little bit of a damp squib as a song.

Surrender is fun but just a Bond song pastiche, like it’s Austin Powers or the opening of Life of Brian or something; Experience of Love I’m quite fond of but it’s easily forgotten; Only Myself To Blame is pretty poor I think and very dreary, and the film is best off without it.
    None of them are particularly stunning bits of work though.
    I think Only Myself To Blame can be heard in Elektra's Theme....and it works better as an instrumental piece.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    It sort of fits in here, but I think that the end credits versions for both TMWTGG and MR are better than the title songs.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    echo wrote: »
    It sort of fits in here, but I think that the end credits versions for both TMWTGG and MR are better than the title songs.

Ooh good point. Love that Disco Bassey :)
    It’s the little cymbal hits!

And Lulu still holds the distinction of being the only artist to sing James Bond’s name in an Eon movie! :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Few good choices here, but I'll go with

If there was a man
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think Only Myself To Blame can be heard in Elektra's Theme....and it works better as an instrumental piece.

Yes, it most certainly does. I understand Arnold wanted a love ballad for Bond and Elektra's relationship, but the lyrics and Walker's performance of them are very underwhelming.

Yes, it most certainly does. I understand Arnold wanted a love ballad for Bond and Elektra's relationship, but the lyrics and Walker's performance of them are very underwhelming.

True, I can't help but think it was Arnold's attempt at creating his own style of FRWL by Lionel Bart and Matt Monro....and the result obviously didn't turn out well, as Walker isn't Monro. That type of music doesn't quite suit Arnold, no wonder Apted rejected it as the End Credits song, So Arnold did a Techno-Style remix of The James Bond theme.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    If You Asked Me To / LTK.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Both are top-notch imo. I think if I had to make a top 10 of favourite Bond songs, three end title songs would feature in it.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    “If There Was a Man” is easily the best as far as end titles go. Beautiful melody.

Frankly, I think EON was correct to reject “Surrender” (not that the Sheryl Crow song was any good either). It’s just overproduced pastiche BS. But I get it, it has “the Bond sound” which I think fans put way too much value in. Just because it’s “Bondian” doesn’t make it good.

"If There Was A Man" is great music to end a movie with--reflective, lilting, dreamy--the sort of thing that makes you linger in your seat to enjoy the credits. Ms. Hyde gives the very appropriate lyrics a yearning, seductive charge. It's a rarity: a romance song that's truly romantic.

"If You Asked Me To" is obviously a very effective composition, judging from the success of its covers, but has too much of that soft 80s "Adult Contemporary" vibe for my ears.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

True, I can't help but think it was Arnold's attempt at creating his own style of FRWL by Lionel Bart and Matt Monro....and the result obviously didn't turn out well, as Walker isn't Monro.

Scott Walker was brilliant, the song just isn’t up to him really. I was always a bit surprised he did it as his style had diverged from the mainstream by then.

A lot of his older songs had that big Bond feel, from his Jacques Brel stuff to something like ‘The Old Man’s Back Again’.
    As a complete aside, this cover by Susanne Sundfør of one of his from the BBC Scott Walker celebration concert a few years ago is amazing:
    Revelator wrote: »
    "If There Was A Man" is great music to end a movie with--reflective, lilting, dreamy--the sort of thing that makes you linger in your seat to enjoy the credits. Ms. Hyde gives the very appropriate lyrics a yearning, seductive charge. It's a rarity: a romance song that's truly romantic.

"If You Asked Me To" is obviously a very effective composition, judging from the success of its covers, but has too much of that soft 80s "Adult Contemporary" vibe for my ears.

I remember one of the old members from KTBEU The White Tuxedo used to describe “If You Asked Me To” as the kind of song you’d hear at a radio in Wal-Mart while waiting in line behind an impatient obese woman yelling at the cashier about not accepting expired coupons while her bratty kids scream and run everywhere.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I remember one of the old members from KTBEU The White Tuxedo used to describe “If You Asked Me To” as the kind of song you’d hear at a radio in Wal-Mart while waiting in line behind an impatient obese woman yelling at the cashier about not accepting expired coupons while her bratty kids scream and run everywhere.

You wouldn’t hear any of the others on a radio station at all though! :)
    “Die Another Day” remains the only Bond song I’ve ever heard on a store radio. Adele’s music comes up, but never “Skyfall”.
    “Die Another Day” remains the only Bond song I’ve ever heard on a store radio. Adele’s music comes up, but never “Skyfall”.

I have heard You Know my Name on the radio quite a lot
    mtm wrote: »

True, I can't help but think it was Arnold's attempt at creating his own style of FRWL by Lionel Bart and Matt Monro....and the result obviously didn't turn out well, as Walker isn't Monro.

Scott Walker was brilliant, the song just isn’t up to him really. I was always a bit surprised he did it as his style had diverged from the mainstream by then.

A lot of his older songs had that big Bond feel, from his Jacques Brel stuff to something like ‘The Old Man’s Back Again’.
    As a complete aside, this cover by Susanne Sundfør of one of his from the BBC Scott Walker celebration concert a few years ago is amazing:

Yeah, You're so right....'The Old Man's Back Again' is really Bondian, as well as this Susanne's Cover.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 2,897

I'm relatively sure I had that exact experience in a Wal-Mart. Or K-mart. Or if not those, Big Lots or the Dollar Store. The song isn't elevator music--it's what they play when you step out of the elevator. Sonic wallpaper.

Double Post.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

I'm relatively sure I had that exact experience in a Wal-Mart. Or K-mart. Or if not those, Big Lots or the Dollar Store. The song isn't elevator music--it's what they play when you step out of the elevator. Sonic wallpaper.

All of the songs on this list are to some extent though: they’re background accompaniment playing as you make your way out of the cinema. It’s just a case of pick which wallpaper you prefer (and that’s something we all do at some point! :) ).
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Both are top-notch imo. I think if I had to make a top 10 of favourite Bond songs, three end title songs would feature in it.

If You Asked Me To is cheesy and a bit dull, imo. I usually skip it.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    If You Asked Me To. Great song, great performance.

Surrender is such a pastiche.
    It could well be that If You Asked Me To was chosen to ease the audience, maybe because Licence To Kill was the first Bond film that took us into Bond's Dark World portrayed effectively by Dalton....I think EON could have easily reprised Gladys Knight's Licence To Kill, maybe they wanted a happy ending song.