If there was a man...he would vote for If There Was a Man
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    If There Was A Man.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    If There Was A Man
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Surrender
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Votes are coming fast and furious and we still have a virtual tie. Only one vote separates the 2 songs so the sudden death is going to stay open! What a dogfight this is turning out to be.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If There Was a Man.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Surrender
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    If There Was a Man
    Pretenders
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 13,198
    Ooh. ""If There Was a Man". (Who Asked Me To)
  • thedove wrote: »
    Votes are coming fast and furious and we still have a virtual tie. Only one vote separates the 2 songs so the sudden death is going to stay open! What a dogfight this is turning out to be.

If there was a dog(fight)...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Hmm, neither are great. I guess I'll got for Surrender as it has a bit of energy about it.

Plus I can understand all of the lyrics! What's that bit in If There Was A Man where she sings "I'd put all my fantasies and hopes of love behind me, so mamoments oohbaddoo mat" ? :D
    mtm wrote: »
    Hmm, neither are great. I guess I'll got for Surrender as it has a bit of energy about it.

Plus I can understand all of the lyrics! What's that bit in If There Was A Man where she sings "I'd put all my fantasies and hopes of love behind me, so mamoments oohbaddoo mat" ? :D
    (from "The Living Daylights" Soundtrack)

If there was a man I could dream of
    I'd dream about a dream come true
    If there was a man I could ever love
    I'd wait a million years for someone just like you

All my life I have been waiting
    Never taking any chances, always hesitating
    Where's the prayer, where's the glory
    Where's the one I'm holding out for
    When's he walking through the door
    The one that you walked through
    If he isn't you

If there was a man I could dream of
    I'd dream about a dream come true
    If there was a man I could ever love
    I'd wait a million years for someone just like you

Happy endings never find me
    I put all my fantasies and hopes of love behind me
    Saw my moments overdoomed
    but
    If there was a man out there for me
    I wish it would be
    Someone who could love me too
    If someone was you
    If there was a man I could dream of,
    I'd dream about a dream come true.
    If there was a man I could ever love,
    I'd wait a million years for someone just like you.
    All my life I've been belated.
    Never taking any chances...always hesitating.
    Where's the payoff? Where's the glory?
    Where's the one I'm holding out for?
    Was he walking through the door,
    The one that you walked through...if it isn`t you?
    If there was a man I could dream of,
    I'd dream about a dream come true.
    If there was a man I could ever love,
    I'd wait a million years for someone just like you.
    Happy endings never find me!
    I'd put all my fantasies and hopes of love behind me.
    All my moments overdue but...

If there was a man out there for me
    I wish it would be someone who could love me true
    If someone was you.

I agree some of the words get muddled! :) To be fair here are the lyrics for Surrender

Your life is a story
    I've already written
    The news is that I am in control

And I have the power
    To make you surrender
    Not only your body but your soul

Tomorrow never dies, surrender
    Tomorrow will arrive on time
    I'll tease and tantalize with every line
    Till you are mine
    Tomorrow never dies

Whatever you're after
    Trust me, I'll deliver
    You'll relish the world that I create

Till you are mine
    Tomorrow never dies

The truth is now what I say
    I've taken care of yesterday

Till you are mine
    Tomorrow never dies
    Tomorrow never dies
    Tomorrow never dies
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Ugh but Surrender is so pastiche! It sounds like it belongs in a Bond spoof.
  • mtm wrote: »

Rock & roll lyrics are SUPPOSED to be occasionally unintelligible. That way they can be whatever you want them to. Are they dirty? Maybe. Why don't you buy the record & listen to it over & over again to find out? "A fine little girl, she waits for me... I sail the ship ah-cross the sea... On the ship I dream she's there... I smell the rose tied in her hair... Ah Louie, Lou-ay, oh baby now, me gotta go. Ai-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi..."

Most Bond songs could easily fit in a Bond spoof.
    Pastiche? Why? Ok...

Regardless, I would rather have a Bond/Barry pastiche than a mediocre Eurovision Song Contest pastiche which ITWAM is...

My vote will always be with Surrender on this one.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Probably why I don’t like any that attempt to replicate the 60s sound past its original decade. I get that Arnold is a big fanboy of that old sound, I just don’t think it has any place for Bond anymore. “Surrender” was rightfully rejected by EON. Even though I’m not a fan of the Sheryl Crow song, it at least sounds like a proper song of its time rather than trying to be a throwback.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    'If there was a man.'
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,055

Probably why I don’t like any that attempt to replicate the 60s sound past its original decade. I get that Arnold is a big fanboy of that old sound, I just don’t think it has any place for Bond anymore. “Surrender” was rightfully rejected by EON. Even though I’m not a fan of the Sheryl Crow song, it at least sounds like a proper song of its time rather than trying to be a throwback.

Wasn't it pretty much solely rejected because K.D. Lang wasn't well known, rather than anything to do with the style and sound of the song?

Fair enough, though - if it's not to your taste, it's not to your taste. I think it's pretty rousing and exciting and Lang's performance is pretty good.

I'm a big fan of both songs in this sudden death round, I'll be quite happy with whichever wins!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Surrender
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I like Sheryl Crow's song as well, but honestly i think EON rejected K.D lang's song, not because of the quality, but because Crow was the Bigger star. Saint Etienne and Pulp also submitted songs, and Saint Etienne said Brosnan liked and kept the master tape of their song....so it was just a case of EON going for the bigger artist and not necessarily the song's quality.
    There was also rumours of the attractiveness of Ms. Lang and that she didn't "fit" the mold. I would also wonder if her being a lesbian factored in. This was before Ellen came out and the world was still different place for those non-heterosexual people.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

Rock & roll lyrics are SUPPOSED to be occasionally unintelligible. That way they can be whatever you want them to. Are they dirty? Maybe. Why don't you buy the record & listen to it over & over again to find out? "A fine little girl, she waits for me... I sail the ship ah-cross the sea... On the ship I dream she's there... I smell the rose tied in her hair... Ah Louie, Lou-ay, oh baby now, me gotta go. Ai-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi..."

Sure, but after thirty years you'd think I'd have had an inkling by now! :)

'Overdoomed'? That's not even a word, Gerard! :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah I do agree completely: it's like a joke Bond song and feels creatively moribund, the real ones are rarely so on the nose. But it is fun to listen to.
    Crow's TND is an actual original song so I find it a bit more creatively worthwhile.
    'If there was a man'
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    If There Was A Man.