And the Klebbie for worst/most illogical gadget used by James Bond....page 140

Comments

The slide whistle deserves the stink-eye. Of all the stunts listed, it's the greatest feat and still astonishing to watch. So its desecration with an incredibly stupid and obvious comedic effect is all the more unforgivable.

"California Girls" in AVTAK comes second, but the snowboarding is a less impressive stunt to ruin. The same goes for the Tarzan yell in OP.

I don't mind the fourth wall break in OHMSS, and in any case it arrives after the action has concluded, not in the middle of it. The same goes for "three more ticks" in GF. After the action has concluded you can wink at the audience, not before.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Well, the interruption of a perfect John Barry track, for one thing.

For me, I have to go with the majority and choose the slide whistle. There again, a perfect stunt, ruined by a sound effect that made it look fake. And again, interrupting a perfect John Barry track. Second place goes, of course, to the Tarzan Yell : Come on, 007, when you're being chased by mooks, the first thing to do is to stay discreet. Didn't they teach you anything in spy school ?

It’s part of the track. John Barry made the call and included it. He interrupted himself.

I’ll go California Girls. So dumb. At least the others are over in seconds. It looks like surfing so we’ll pick a Beach Boys surfing song. Surfing USA? No. Surf City? No. Then it isn’t even the Beach Boys. Horrible.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    vzok wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »
    Well, the interruption of a perfect John Barry track, for one thing.

For me, I have to go with the majority and choose the slide whistle. There again, a perfect stunt, ruined by a sound effect that made it look fake. And again, interrupting a perfect John Barry track. Second place goes, of course, to the Tarzan Yell : Come on, 007, when you're being chased by mooks, the first thing to do is to stay discreet. Didn't they teach you anything in spy school ?

It’s part of the track. John Barry made the call and included it. He interrupted himself.

It doesn't really matter who decided to put it there. It still ruins an otherwise good track.
    Slide whistle. Of the scenes mention the slide whistle does the most damage to the scene. I personally think the Tarzan yell is the most painful to bear through (by quite a bit), but it doesn't degrade the scene as much as the slide while does.

The GF is no worse than other moments like the DAF car flip or the cameraman in TMWTGG.

I also don't mind the fourth wall in OHMSS. What makes it weird though is the references to the previous films.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I love OP, but the Tarzan yell is the one thing I don't like about it.
    Tarzan yell through the jungle from OP.

Imagine any other Bond doing it. I think Brosnan could pull it off with a pain face though.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I guess it's the Tarzan yell for me...the slide whistle effect was (AFAIK) dreamed up by the infallible master (John Barry), and so who am I to criticise it...
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    My problem with the Tarzan Yell is, it's from a character you wouldn't want to associate with Bond. At least in TSWLM, Maurice Jarre's 'Lawrence Of Arabia' theme is from a quality film, as well as Elmer Bernstein's 'Magnificent Seven' theme heard in MR, with Moore's Bond even dressing in full Cowboy Costume like Clint Eastwood. Of course I don't like Bond borrowing from other films, but at least these elements are from great films, not Tarzan.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 13,199
    Most undermined? Bond snowboards to California Girls from AVTAK.

[The Tarzan yell is silly and unwelcome but I can't say it undercuts the already silly swinging through the treetops on vines.]
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    The tarzen yell is stupid but it is easily topped (or "klebbed") by the moment we see him in the ape suit.
    The moments doesn't bother me too much in OHMSS and GF but the timer of the bomb is generally a bit ridiculous (it should explode much, much earlier and the other guys wouldn't have had enough time to run downstairs).
    However, the Klebbie should go to the bad music decision in the AVTAK PTS or the awful slide whistle. I like the PTS ski action and the rest of the music is awesome.
    Well, I go mainstream here and vote for the bloody whistle.
    Who had this bad idea??? Apart from the whistle, I always think that they should have edited a bit different. Maybe more camera angles??? It looks too simple and almost unspectacular. It is fascnintating that they managed to do this jump but we don't feel the danger and it is over too quick.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    You are correct @mtm I did have some trouble coming up with the nominees. I had 4 and was looking for a fifth, was tempted to do a write in vote and then thought of GF and the whole 3 ticks. It always bothered me and so in it went.

Which reminds me if anyone has a category suggestion feel free to PM. I'm always looking for new categories. Our next category will be another Klebbie!
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Isn't the Tarzan yell a soundtrack addition rather than Bond himself?

Either way it is an alarming sequence. In the space of about a minute and a half he gets attacked by tarantulas, leeches, and a crocodile, tells a snake to iss off, and tames a tiger (who knew Bond was a fan of Barbara Woodhouse? Do international fans even get the 'joke'?). The Tarzan yell is the least of it, really.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Isn't the Tarzan yell a soundtrack addition rather than Bond himself?

Either way it is an alarming sequence. In the space of about a minute and a half he gets attacked by tarantulas, leeches, and a crocodile, tells a snake to iss off, and tames a tiger (who knew Bond was a fan of Barbara Woodhouse? Do international fans even get the 'joke'?).

I quite like that there's such a niche joke in a massive global film. A bit like that guy from the 'Clampers' docusoap appearing in TWINE.

Mind you, I never understood why that showjumper guy gets a cameo in DAD. That was just bizarre.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Revelator wrote: »
    "California Girls" in AVTAK comes second, but the snowboarding is a less impressive stunt to ruin.

Not in 1985! I remember being astounded by it.

But I also vote for TMWTGG. The slide whistle plus the side of Pepper ruins an impressive stew.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,912
    I'm of the same opinion as @BeatlesSansEarmuffs with the slide whistle. It's never really bothered me that much. Would I prefer if it wasn't there. Yes!
    But the actual stunt as so spectacular, that I enjoy it, more than a quick sound effect.
    I'm going to go with AVTAK and the California Girls rip off. The sequence till this point is tense and exciting. However the inclusion of California Girls ruins any sense of danger till that point. And then we return to John Barry's wonderful score, for the climax of the pts.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Benny wrote: »
    I'm of the same opinion as @BeatlesSansEarmuffs with the slide whistle. It's never really bothered me that much. Would I prefer if it wasn't there. Yes!
    But the actual stunt as so spectacular, that I enjoy it, more than a quick sound effect.
    I'm going to go with AVTAK and the California Girls rip off. The sequence till this point is tense and exciting. However the inclusion of California Girls ruins any sense of danger till that point. And then we return to John Barry's wonderful score, for the climax of the pts.

Exactly. The slide whistle is 3 seconds. California Girls ruins what could be a much better and longer scene without it.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Definitely Bond surfs to California Girls from AVTAK. It gets AVTAK totally started on the wrong foot and the film never recovers from it. The other candidates have never bothered me.

Benny wrote: »

+1
    The only other terrible one (in my opinion) is the Beach Boys. When I saw that in the cinema my heart sank, it absolutely sank.

I had a similar experience.
    thedove wrote: »
    The Bondie for best outro song is...If There was a Man by the Pretenders from the film The Living Daylights it received 18 votes in the tie breaker.

Always happy for a win by TLD or by anything composed by John Barry.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Has to be California Girls. The other's bother me, but not as much as that naff, ill judged 'joke'
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    echo wrote: »
    Revelator wrote: »
    "California Girls" in AVTAK comes second, but the snowboarding is a less impressive stunt to ruin.

Not in 1985! I remember being astounded by it.

Yeah it was almost like he was inventing snowboarding! :) I think that impression still comes across when you watch it, and in fact the music actually helps you remember that surfing on snow was a very unusual thing to be watching.
    If it were just the Bond theme playing I think we'd actually have forgotten that and the stunt would be, conversely, less impressive nowadays. So in that way, the music actually helps the stunt! :)

• edited June 2020 Posts: 7,506
    I always find it confusing when people blame the slide whistle alone for ruining the stunt in TMWTGG and at the same seem to ignore the fact that the scene begins with J. W. Pepper spouting some awful, childish lines and ends with an even more childish slapstick moment of him rolling around the back seat floor! The tone of that clip was destined. It could never have been saved even if you remove the slide whistle. In fact you could argue the slide whistle fitted perfectly with the overall tone of the scene; an awesome stunt turned into a J. W. Pepper joke.

Based on this the Tarzan yell gets my vote. It signifies the moment when a potentialy tense scene turns into complete farce and I can tolerate it less than "the girls" and the breaking of the 4th wall.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited June 2020 Posts: 2,033
    Surprised no one mentioned Jaws' arm flailing in Moonraker's PTS.
    Personally it never really bothered me but I know a lot of Bond fans feel differently, considering it comes at the end of a spectacular stunt sequence.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    jobo wrote: »
    I always find it confusing when people blame the slide whistle alone for ruining the stunt in TMWTGG and at the same seem to ignore the fact that the scene begins with J. W. Pepper spouting some awful, childish lines and ends with an even more childish slapstick moment of him rolling around the back seat floor! The tone of that clip was destined. It could never have been saved even if you remove the slide whistle. In fact you could argue the slide whistle fitted perfectly with the overall tone of the scene; an awesome stunt turned into a J. W. Pepper joke.

JW Pepper himself could very easily have been included as an option in this round!
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    I know not everyone agrees, but to me the spectacular car chase at the start of QOS is rendered almost unwatchable by the style of editing. I had almost no idea what was going on when I saw it in the cinema, only by rewatching several times did I actually manage to follow the action. It's a mess.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Slide whistle.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    I know not everyone agrees, but to me the spectacular car chase at the start of QOS is rendered almost unwatchable by the style of editing. I had almost no idea what was going on when I saw it in the cinema, only by rewatching several times did I actually manage to follow the action. It's a mess.

I, for one, fully agree. I've hated that car chase mess ever since first seeing it at the cinema.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

It's funny but i love it. And the more you watch it the more it becomes evident just how skillfully edited it actually is. (Perhaps thats for the 'controversial opinions' discussion... ;) )
    jobo wrote: »
    I actually mentioned that in my comments. Add in the goofy comments from Bond himself: "I sure am, boy. Ever heard of Evel Knievel?" and it makes it even worse. Bottom line: the precedent was set for being less serious. We think along the same lines here.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    As we do a synchronised 360 degree corkscrew on our perches, the DRP would like to give their vote to Karaoke California Girls
    The slide whistle ruins the stunt, not the already ruined characters.

It's funny but i love it. And the more you watch it the more it becomes evident just how skillfully edited it actually is. (Perhaps thats for the 'controversial opinions' discussion... ;) )

Agree fully my friend! I still see new moments when I watch it! Very well put together sequence. Wish second unit guy Dan Bradley would be brought back. Only recently discovered he did the action on Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, reason why its the only MI film I really like!