And the Klebbie for worst/most illogical gadget used by James Bond....page 140

Comments

• edited June 2020 Posts: 7,506
    To be honest, except for the big brazz riff, I don't think Surrender is that much of a trip off of Barry's style. And it definitely has modern qualities to it in terms of the beat and sound texture.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    If there was a man
    If You Asked Me To
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    If You Asked Me To

It's sudden death. We can only vote for Surrender or If There was a Man.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    jobo wrote: »
    To be honest, except for the big brazz riff, I don't think Surrender is that much of a trip off of Barry's style. And it definitely has modern qualities to it in terms of the beat and sound texture.

Indeed, a great deal of Bond fans like Surrender....I don't know many who don't. I really don't get this rip-off thing though, isn't Barry's Sound the Bond Sound, I've not even heard Zimmer's Score, but it's looking like Zimmer would add Barry's style to his score, that's respecting the Bond sound which is Barry's sound and not ripping-off Barry.
    thedove wrote: »
    If You Asked Me To

It's sudden death. We can only vote for Surrender or If There was a Man.

I stand corrected: It's Surrender, then.

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    If There Was A Man
    Wow it's a neck and neck race! I will check on the category tomorrow morning and declare a winner. (morning in Canada) :)
    If You Asked Me To

Correct answer
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    If There Was a Man
    ITWAM
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    ITWAM
    Wow it's a neck and neck race! I will check on the category tomorrow morning and declare a winner. (morning in Canada) :)

Eh, unless my calculations are wrong so far its
    12 to 5 in favour of ITWAM.Hardly neck and neck!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Eh, unless my calculations are wrong so far its
    12 to 5 in favour of ITWAM.Hardly neck and neck!

I think your calculations are a bit wrong! It's 18-12 to If There Was A Man by my tallying, so it does look like it's going to be The Pretenders for the win!
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,050
    Thanks to the accounting firm of @CraigMooreOHMSS who has verified the results. The Bondie for best outro song is...If There was a Man by the Pretenders from the film The Living Daylights it received 18 votes in the tie breaker. Surrender received 12 votes.

From our previous round If You Asked Me To by Patti Labelle received 9 votes and Eric Serra with Experience of Love received 1 vote

It's time to switch back to the Klebbie side. For this one is a unique category.

Over the years the Bond films have pushed the envelope with great stunts and sequences. Most times they have a satisfying conclusion, but occasionally a clunker of a quip or a sound effect or music choice has undermined the whole sequence or stunt. It's time to look at those scenes/stunts that have been undermined! The nominees are:
    • A flip of a car is undermined by a slide whistle from TMWTGG. It should have been a jaw dropping moment and yet now it's derided for the silly sound effect. Whose decision was this???
    • Tarzan yell through the jungle from OP. We have a tense sequence where Bond is being hunted in a jungle. It all comes undone by the sound of a Tarzan yell and removes all tension from the hunt. It also doesn't make sense that Bond would yell out his location in the vines to the hunting party!
    • Bond surfs to California Girls from AVTAK. Snowboarding wasn't a popular sport and Bond was one of the first to feature it. However having a Beach Boys knock off band playing during the sequence makes it a punchline!
    • George quips on the beach from OHMSS. Bond had never broke the fourth wall and in this serious Bond movie the inexcusable happens. Bond quips "This never happened to the other fella." A shame because the fight on the beach was done so well!
    • "Three more ticks" become 7 in GF. The result of the tense final countdown is a jumbled mess! Bond looks like he can't count and the audience is deprived of any tension! All because the producers thought it was cute to have the timer stop at 007 instead of 3 seconds!

So there you have the nominees! What does our esteemed academy think. Which was the worst undermining of a scene/stunt?
  • I know I'm in the minority here....but I never really hated the slide whistle as much as some people seem to. The Tarzan yell gets the vote from me.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I can live with the rest....but to this day, I really can't stand the Tarzan Yell.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    The whistle from TMWTGG because it takes away from a sequence I really like and from a great stunt.

These 5 are all to be regretted, IMO, but the Tarzan yell somehow fits into the sequence, in AVTAK it does less harm and it's only a PTS, the 'this never happened' quip also has a little funny side to it, and the sequence in GF still is quite tense and well done.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I am going to go with OHMSS because it is out of step, breaks the forth wall, and gives ammunition to the ridiculous codename theory.

The other examples are daft. But they don't undermine the actual series itself.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tarzan yell. The California Girls song is pretty bad as welll.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,455
    California Girls. I was tempted to go for the slide whistle but the fact that they put this song in the snowboarding scene like it was nobody's business was just appalling. What business does it have being there? The scene itself is fine.

I would love to see the conversations in 1974 and 1983 behind the scenes in which they deemed it appropriate to add the slide whistle and Tarzan yell.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    A flip of a car is undermined by a slide whistle from TMWTGG. It should have been a jaw dropping moment and yet now it's derided for the silly sound effect. Whose decision was this???

This wins for me basically because its an incredible stunt that is turned into a cartoonish joke.
    Slide Whistle, hands down. Why, John? WHY?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,474
    TMWTGG.

GF was the 3th movie and i don't mind it there whant to remember 007 is a trademark like the gunbarrel.

Possible poster creater was disapointed with Skyfall and Spectre not having atleast one O in it and are very happy with No Time To Die. Stil it look like not be enough from them with using big 007 on background on posters and sliding on screen in Game Day tv Spot.
    Slide whistle for me please.

The only other terrible one (in my opinion) is the Beach Boys. When I saw that in the cinema my heart sank, it absolutely sank. But the slide whistle is worse.

I’m not fussed about OP’s Tarzan yell, and I’ve seen GF and OHMSS too many times for me to imagine these scenes done any differently anyway, so I’m happy with them.

The slide whistle, though, is a cinematic crime
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yes, it's got to be the slide whistle for me.

It really irks me that it's included on the soundtrack as well, as "Lets Go Get Em" is a pretty great cue otherwise.

I actually quite like "This never happened to the other fella", myself.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Tarzan yell, no contest.
    I'm guessing slide whistle will be the preferred choice. It's never bothered me. The scene is already leaning toward comedy with Pepper along for the ride. I knew Tarzan yell would also get some play, but that's a throwaway moment anyway and not a great or memorable stunt to begin with. I can't think of the OHMSS teaser without that line and GF is fine.

That leaves me with the choice of California Girls from AVTAK. I go right back to my first viewing in the cinema, May 25, 1985. It was a twin cinema and when the song came up, I was wondering if the soundtrack to another film was played by accident over AVTAK. No, to my horror, John Barry was being replaced by a cheap cover of California Girls. They couldn't have at least paid for the Beach Boys or the David Lee Roth cover that was a huge hit earlier that year?

It sets the tone early, though, that AVTAK was going to be an uneven mix of graphic and realistic scenes with silly comedy that makes it a hard watch to this day.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There's only the slide whistle for me.

The only other real options are Tarzan and California Girls (I suspect thedove had to think quite hard to come up with any other candidates! :) ) and those two are both quite fun I think. I've never understood why folks get so upset about California Girls in particular.
    Well, the interruption of a perfect John Barry track, for one thing.

For me, I have to go with the majority and choose the slide whistle. There again, a perfect stunt, ruined by a sound effect that made it look fake. And again, interrupting a perfect John Barry track. Second place goes, of course, to the Tarzan Yell : Come on, 007, when you're being chased by mooks, the first thing to do is to stay discreet. Didn't they teach you anything in spy school ?