And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actor...page 134

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Would the Bond-006 fight in the antenna room count. I'd change my vote for that in a heartbeat
    I agree with this, all things considered.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd go with Bond vs. Slate but that's in a room, and then I'd instantly go with Bond vs. Trevelyan but that also seems not as "confined" as the parameters allow, so if neither of those would count, I'd have to go with Bond vs. Franks in the elevator in DAF. That's about as confined as it gets and it's a surprisingly thrilling, gritty fight for such a ridiculous installment.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Agree with you about the Franks fight in the elevator.

I wonder if Bond vs. Necros on the net would count, for a Dalton entry? Obviously it's the opposite of a confined space, but they're sort of "confined" to the net? :P
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I wonder if Bond vs. Necros on the net would count, for a Dalton entry? Obviously it's the opposite of a confined space, but they're sort of "confined" to the net? :P

It's an interesting thought, they're definitely confined in a way. Or could I even toss in something like Green Four vs. Necros? Doesn't include Bond and it's not as closed in as some of the others but I've always loved that fight. The former's one of my favorite minor characters in the series.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,956
    SaintMark wrote: »
    for me it was not a fight in close confinement in a train were suddenly nobody else but 007, Hinx were and even the kitchen was totally empty, like all action scenes from SP there were empty streets and empty train, it is like the movie took place outside of any world. Sp was a piss poor action movie as the action-scenes lacked any tension.
    Except the PTS which felt like CGI in the chopper.

I agree with you, that it was weirdly empty in both the train fight, and the car chase in Rome. I'd still say there was tension in the Hinx fight though.

Yeah I think the Hinx fight is pretty good- I especially like how Bond starts to tire out and is losing at the end. I totally see why thedove didn't include it though as it's not really 'confined' as such.

I watched the two fights linked to on the previous page and for me the OHMSS one is the better of the two. The DAF one actually started to bore me after a while, it does go on a bit, doesn't it?
    It's still FRWL on top for me.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It's an interesting thought, they're definitely confined in a way. Or could I even toss in something like Green Four vs. Necros? Doesn't include Bond and it's not as closed in as some of the others but I've always loved that fight. The former's one of my favorite minor characters in the series.

Ooh that is a cracker.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Great thoughts guys! Yes there were many that might have qualified. I had given thought to all those mentioned. Then also thought of Bond versus Tee Hee from LALD. The net fight from TLD is going to come up in a future category.

Great stuff from the academy! I will tabulate the results soon and announce a winner!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,979
    I vote for DAF. I am as surprised as anyone.
    The academy has voted and the Bondie for best fight in a confined space goes to Red Grant vs James Bond in From Russia with Love!

Grant versus Bond FRWL 14 votes
    Che Che vs Bond OHMSS 6 votes
    Franks vs Bond DAF 3 votes
    Jaws vs Bond TSWLM 0 votes
    Slate vs Bond QOS 0 votes

Now it's time to award a Klebbie! This will be awarded to worst song. The nominees are:

Madonna...Die Another Day from Die Another Day
    Sheryl Crow...Tomorrow Never Dies from Tomorrow Never Dies
    Lulu...The Man with The Golden Gun from The Man with the Golden Gun
    Jack White and Alicia Keys Another Way to Die from Quantum of Solace
    Sam Smith The Writing on the Wall from Spectre

Time to hear from the academy, which is the worst title song from a Bond movie?
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    It's a close race between TMWTGG and AWTD, but I'll give the edge to the former.
    Lulu...The Man with The Golden Gun from The Man with the Golden Gun
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SaintMark wrote: »
    for me it was not a fight in close confinement in a train were suddenly nobody else but 007, Hinx were and even the kitchen was totally empty, like all action scenes from SP there were empty streets and empty train, it is like the movie took place outside of any world. Sp was a piss poor action movie as the action-scenes lacked any tension.
    Except the PTS which felt like CGI in the chopper.

I agree with you, that it was weirdly empty in both the train fight, and the car chase in Rome. I'd still say there was tension in the Hinx fight though.

I have taken that train, and those luxury compartments were pretty empty. They aren t for the regular passengers.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    There's never been a worse Bond title song than Madonna's. Even AWTD is pure gold in comparison. And why TND is included escapes me. It's considerably worse than what is now called "Surrender" and therefore its use was regrettable, but it's a far better song than quite a few others, included all four here.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TWOTW.

The opening bars are amazing, but then Sam starts whining.
  • This is actually a tough topic in which to choose a "winner." I agree with @j_w_pepper, TND doesn't really belong in here. It's not great, but it's not THAT bad. I'd also suggest that as bad as Madonna's DAD is (and it's pretty bad) it is at least appropriate for its placement in this particular film: while Bond is being tortured by the North Koreans, Madge is torturing the audience. TMWTGG has some of the most insanely insipid lyrics of any song ever but it's at least somehow listenable. For me this comes down to a battle between the two songs that have the least discernible connection with their films: Another Way to Die (from QoS) and The Writing's on the Wall (from Spectre.) Here I guess I just have to say that Sam's whining is far more annoying to me than Jack & Alicia's pointless meandering. So I'll have to place my vote for TWOTW.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Die another day
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    The actual worst song is FYEO, but if those are the options, it's obviously Madonna.

I like Another Way to Die anyway, but you all should give it a break just because of the brilliant opening riff. It's like a new version of "Bond Back in Action", and they should have made a regular cue out of it....
    The controversial topics continue! Yes I debated on a few different songs to place on here. Actually I wouldn't have put Sam's effort on the list but figured the hue and cry would be too large to handle. But there you have it.

Like all awards shows even the Klebbie's have their controversy!
    All Time High.

Oh, sorry, Die Another Day.
  • Controversy is a fine thing. It gives us something to talk about!

I can't imagine why @ProfJoeButcher considers FYEO to be the worst Bond theme song of all...it's a middling offering to my ears, neither particularly wonderful nor particularly awful. But to each their own...
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The actual worst song is FYEO, but if those are the options, it's obviously Madonna.

I like Another Way to Die anyway, but you all should give it a break just because of the brilliant opening riff. It's like a new version of "Bond Back in Action", and they should have made a regular cue out of it....

@ProfJoeButcher
    I definitely agree about FYEO. I absolutely despise that song as well as the film's score from Conti. It's a main factor on why I have it last in my overall film rankings.
    Controversy is a fine thing. It gives us something to talk about!

I can't imagine why @ProfJoeButcher considers FYEO to be the worst Bond theme song of all...it's a middling offering to my ears, neither particularly wonderful nor particularly awful. But to each their own...

These are my feelings as well, I didn’t know FYEO was so controversial.
    No contest here : the worst song in the entire franchise (including the non-official movies) is "Another Way to Die".
  • All Time High.

Oh, sorry, Die Another Day.

"All Time High" is one of the weaker theme songs to my mind as well. Although we don't seem to have any objective criteria to judge this particular topic, here's one of mine... I like a theme song that at least mentions that movie's title somewhere in the song's lyrics. They don't all have to be "GOLLLD-Fingah! (Bwah-BWAAAH-Bwah...)" ...but even "Nobody Does it Better" does mention that "the Spy Who Loved Me...is keeping all my secrets safe tonight." I'm sorry, but I don't think "All Time High" has any lyrics pertaining to Octopussy...or "AWTD" mentions anything about a Quantum of Solace. So these songs just plain lose points own my own internal scorecard.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I have to go with AWTD. What were they thinking?
    echo wrote: »

That's the problem right there : they didn't think at all.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    NTTD is by far the worst title song.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

I like FYEO...as possibly the only part of the soundtrack for that movie. Nothing great or exciting, but ok. It's in the same range as All Time High, though not quite as bland.
    echo wrote: »

Chaotic song for a chaotically-edited movie. How can you go wrong?
    I actually like AWTD as a song, but not so much as a Bond theme.
    I actually like AWTD as a song, but not so much as a Bond theme.
    I may have said so before, but when I first saw a video of it before the film came out (i.e. NOT the movie credits) I thought it was awful and atrocious. But in context my judgment has changed to "it's okay". Not so bad as a Bond theme, though nowhere near the "might be a favourite" zone. Just different. And better than DAD.