And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    I even go as far as saying that another song in SP would have elevated the film.

Nothing could have elevated SP a complete rewrite of the script and a different director might help, blaming the title-song is like blaming Trump for being a human, we both know that is not right.

While you are 100% right, the inhuman dreadfulness of WTOW doesn't do it much good either :))
    I even go as far as saying that another song in SP would have elevated the film.

Nothing could have elevated SP a complete rewrite of the script and a different director might help, blaming the title-song is like blaming Trump for being a human, we both know that is not right.

I do understand. But I must say that I never rewatch SP because I dread being exposed to that song. I hate the piss filter, I hate the script, but most of all, I hate that song. Not that we should make this a I-hate-SP thread (there's always that danger lurking about), but I do believe a different song like The Man who built the Moon, by Gallagher, would've made me less hateful of that film. That, a refreshed colour grading, and a different third act with no brothergate. What a killer film that would've been.

So yeah, back on topic, TWOTW is clearly the winner here.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I do understand. But I must say that I never rewatch SP because I dread being exposed to that song. I hate the piss filter, I hate the script, but most of all, I hate that song. Not that we should make this a I-hate-SP thread (there's always that danger lurking about), but I do believe a different song like The Man who built the Moon, by Gallagher, would've made me less hateful of that film. That, a refreshed colour grading, and a different third act with no brothergate. What a killer film that would've been.

So yeah, back on topic, TWOTW is clearly the winner here.

I don't generally bother with fanedits, but I do wish I had a version of Spectre with the fanmade gunbarrel sequence that's out there on YouTube, and the version of the titles that uses the Radiohead song. Silly little things but they would make watching it more bearable I think.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Sam Smith The Writing on the Wall from Spectre

The only Bond track I can't listen to, I always fast forward the title sequence when watching SP.
  • I'm sensing an emerging consensus here....
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The only time I watch the SP title sequence is when I listen to this...

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

So much better. When Arnold was announced as the new Bond composer, I was pretty excited about it as I knew him from that soundtrack.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,407

So much better. When Arnold was announced as the new Bond composer, I was pretty excited about it as I knew him from that soundtrack.

It's a great piece of music and very Bondian pre Arnold's Bond involment. Play Dead remarkably fits very well thematically with the SP title sequence .
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Well it's time for us to find out who is taking home the Klebbie. (opens envelope) and the worst song in a Bond movie is...

The Writing is On the Wall from Spectre by Sam Smith! It had 9 total votes

Another Way to Die from QOS received 6 votes
    The Man with the Golden Gun received 1 vote
    Die Another Day received 3 votes
    Tomorrow Never Dies received 0 votes!

We are going to give another Klebbie, this one for worst title sequence. The nominees are:

MK12 for Quantum of Solace
    Maurice Binder for Licence to Kill
    Maurice Binder for A View to a Kill
    Daniel Kleinman for Spectre

Just four nominations for your consideration. So my dear academy members who will take home the Klebbie!
    Daniel Kleinman for Spectre worst for me, I think QoS is much better and the other two win out through nostalgia alone.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I pass on this. I'd have to watch each of them again to even remember them. It's similar to the gunbarrel. As I said before, it's like comparing several Mercedes in a parking lot to decide which one has the nicest star on the hood. And for me about as relevant.
    QoS has one of the best title sequences in the series.

Of the candidates here, it is between AVTAK and LTK. I am giving it to AVTAK. It has a couple of good ideas like the crosshairs, but the tacky skiing girl looks dreadful. I am not talking about the model, mind you. Just the whole esthetics of the thing.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Licence to Kill for me. Everything feels off, like what's the deal with the camera theme?
    Licence to Kill for me. Everything feels off, like what's the deal with the camera theme?

Maybe Binder saw a rough cut of the film, slept through most of it, but saw the x-ray camera and figured it would have a prominent role.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited May 2020 Posts: 1,692
    When Diamonds are Forever, Octopussy and The Living Daylights exist, these are ridiculous nominations.

So I have no vote, but I look forward to whatever nitpicking will be directed at Quantum of Solace...! :D
  • Too similar to the Klebbie we just awarded & I've still got a bad taste in my mind from even thinking about TWOTW. Spectre gets my (lack of) sympathy vote here.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    Binder for LTK. In fact, all of his 80s title sequences are pretty crap.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,020
    I cannot in a clear conscience award a Klebbie to any work done by Binder if pitted against other artists, no matter how average it is.
    Spectre gets my vote.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I have no ideia, just like @j_w_pepper said, I'd have to rewatch them all.

But I just wanted to say I do love what Mk12 did for QOS. Not a fan of naked Craig for SP, though. But many sequences in the 70s and 80s were poor, if you ask me.
    I rewatched them all, and I'd like to change my vote to A View To A Kill.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited May 2020 Posts: 1,692
    I'm surprised that two people so far can't recall or distinguish long sequences from films they've likely seen loads of times! These title sequences are longer than most fights are.
    I didn't think MK12's work was bad. And I think Binder's AVTAK is thematically strong--the ice dummies are spooky, the neon effects on the girls are unforgettable, and the sequence matches the energy of the music.
    Binder's LTK is sadly diminished and lacks strong imagery, though the killing motif is presented with the target sights, women getting gunned down, and the lady at the end firing the pistol.

Weak as LTK's sequence was, it never made me laugh, which is what the audience and I did when the CGi octopus began perving on Craig's shirtless chest. So the Klebbie goes to Spectre, which shows that Klenman has been over-relying on CGI and dodgy ideas, though his previous work was excellent.
    FRWL is my least favourite Bond song, as I think it's the least interesting. But from those nominated I'd go with Lulu's TMWTGG. I don't think it's a bad song, I think it's the least interesting out of those nominated, and I will defend TND, DAD, & WOTW.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Finally, a use for that “special feature” on the BOND 50 Bonus Disk!

Process of elimination:
    Binder/LTK. As mentioned by @Last_Rat_Standing, I’ve never understood the “camera motif” used here. Perhaps Binder was simply running out of ideas at this point. It does, however, feature the lovely Diana Lee (Playboy’s POTM for May 1988 😊), so I’m certainly not going to vote for this one. It’s hard to believe that Ms. Lee turned 59 years of age, just a few days ago!

Binder/AVTAK. A strange one. At the time I thought that this was Binder’s attempt to do “new-wave.” If so, it only underscored the advancing age of Moore, Maxwell, etc. all). Still, I like it, especially as a back-drop to the Duran-Duran’s song. In fact, upon the release of AVTAK in 1985, I actually left a second screening of the movie immediately after the titles, stating that the movie was all downhill from here!

MK12/QoS. It certainly is different and the “sand” motif is appropriate given the story. That means, the winner (loser) is….

Daniel Kleinman for Spectre. When viewed with Sam Smith’s underwhelming vocals, this just doesn’t do anything for me. And even on mute, it doesn’t work for me. And the call backs to CR, QoS, and Skyfall actually start here. Oddly, I thought Kleinman’s titles for Skyfall were among the best in the series, so I was very disappointed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,991
    thedove wrote: »
    We are going to give another Klebbie, this one for worst title sequence. The nominees are:

Maurice Binder for Licence to Kill
    Maurice Binder for A View to a Kill
    Daniel Kleinman for Spectre

Just four nominations for your consideration. So my dear academy members who will take home the Klebbie!

Oh Licence To Kill easily. He had no ideas and it shows. They ended up using a camera theme because one of the product tie-ins with the film was with a camera manufacturer. No joke! Absolutely dreadful.
    And one of the shots was of a gambling table with two chips arranged so they almost spell out 007. Unbelievable.

Quantum of Solace's is hugely uninspired (guns, bullets, women, guns, bullets, women) but it's professional enough and does the job. Although that weird bit where it suddenly turns into a zoetrope is very odd. What's that got to do with anything?
    It is rather dated-looking next to the other Craig title sequences which have left the slightly leery treatment of women behind, this one hasn't.

AVTAK's isn't great (the Rogers are lovely but conspicuously from TSWLM) but it rattles along well enough and the ski theme at least fits with what we've just seen.
    And everyone loves this bit, surely? :)
    giphy.gif

And Spectre's is fine isn't it? It doesn't stick in the mind quite as well as the other Kleinmans I guess but there's not much wrong with it. I rather like all of the eyes looking at Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Maybe Binder saw a rough cut of the film, slept through most of it, but saw the x-ray camera and figured it would have a prominent role.

Apparently it's because he saw some cameras at the wedding scene (were there?) and that a sponsor of the film was Kodak or someone. Shocking.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I included QOS as someone on the watch-along on James Bond and Friends said you could interchange any of the sequences and it wouldn't make a difference to the sequence. That caused me to think it deserved at least a nom.

Binder's work in the 80's did start to run out of steam. Though I enjoy both FYEO and OP. The remaining 3 aren't up to snuff.
    I always enjoy the list of nominations you put up, the comparisons are always interesting to think about.

May I suggest at some point; best villain monologue?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    QoS is the worst of these. Just muddy.

LTK is a close runner-up, in that it is so random. Is it a camera to take a picture of the license to kill?