And the Bondie for best model work in a film....page 137

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 28 Posts: 15,036
    Yes I'm not sure I'd call Lenya underrated as her performance and character have been seen as fairly iconic for decades.
    I might nominate Luciana Paluzzi's turn as Fiona in Thunderball though; as Peter mentions with regard to Marlohe, perhaps not underrated around these parts, but I'm not sure she gets the wider recognition for a pretty scene-stealing turn, certainly way more engaging and charismatic than the actual main villains of the film and easily holds her own against Connery, and if it were down to me I'd have replaced Largo with her.
    I think all of the female actors in the Craig films were incredibly strong, not a duff performance in there.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes I'm not sure I'd call Lenya underrated as her performance and character have been seen as fairly iconic for decades.
    I might nominate Luciana Paluzzi's turn as Fiona in Thunderball though; as Peter mentions with regard to Marlohe, perhaps not underrated around these parts, but I'm not sure she gets the wider recognition for a pretty scene-stealing turn, certainly way more engaging and charismatic than the actual main villains of the film and easily holds her own against Connery, and if it were down to me I'd have replaced Largo with her.
    I think all of the female actors in the Craig films were incredibly strong, not a duff performance in there.

Not to derail the discussion, but Fiona is, afak (but I'm biased) often rightfully seen as the hotter than a rockets' exhaust after launch, and that has a lot to do with her chemistry with Connery. I love the fact that she commands Largo, whom himself is quite threatening and imposing. I think the mixture of Largo, Claudine and FIona is what made the Thunderball phenomenon in the first place. The film has even more going for it, from story to locales, and to my mind is about the ultimate Bond-film. So no dropping Largo, and definately loads of praise to Fiona (and Claudine), but nothing underrated there.

So, Olga gets the prize I think. She's definately giving an ambsolute stellar performance, giving more background to the character with (comparitively) very few words.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    +1. I think it's Olga's best performance I've seen.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Underrated in the sense that she did a great job but doesn't seem to get much praise or recognition for it? Olga.
    Olga is underrated. She deserves a better career.

did you watch Hitman? She stole the movie.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'd go with Olga, too.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Was Camille the only Bond girl to have a scar?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    QBranch wrote: »

Not if you count elektra a bondgirl
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    QBranch wrote: »

Not if you count elektra a bondgirl

Lupe Lamora too at the back.
    Put me down for Lotte Lenya as Klebb. I like the comment she made about people always looking down at her shoes upon first meeting her. Besides Klebb and Frau Bunt, most of the female villains are on the desirable side and these two are all about business and scary.

Kurylenko and Marlohe are almost like the same character. Exotic women who have been scarred by the villains, though one ends up better than the other. Andress became an icon and symbol of the series after she rose out of the sea in that bikini so I'm not sure she was underrated.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Olga is definitely the best actress of the bunch and gave the best performance, so I'm going with her. She is quite underrated.

I'd actually say Lenya is a bit overrated: kind of hammy, going a bit OTT on the "scary bitch" side, and equally so on the "I'm terribly frightened" side.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Time for me to flap my wings and head to the stage and give some Bondie love to a lovely actress.

The Bondie for best female performance is Olga Kurylenko as Camille in Quantum of Solace.

Time to kick the shins with a Klebbie. Over the years the Bond films have featured romance and love. There have been wonderful pairings that have clicked and allowed the audience to believe Bond had feelings for his female lead. But there have been times when the chemistry between the leads is just...off. Lets look at the worst screen combo.

The nominees are:
    • Carole Bouquet and Roger Moore For Your Eyes Only this film was a return to the roots of the series. The action was grounded and the romance was supposed to be back. But did anyone buy Melina and James falling in love? They are seen strolling in picturesque settings. They bicker like a couple and share some harrowing adventures together, but yet...the ending of their skinny dip seems out of character.
    • Léa Seydoux and Daniel Craig SPECTRE We are meant to think Bond develops deep feelings and connection with Madeline Swann. But the actors don't seem to share any chemistry or sparks. From a forced train dalliance to an ending of riding off into the sunset it doesn't ring true and the film suffers as a result.
    • Terri Hatcher and Pierce Brosnan Tomorrow Never Dies these two are supposed to have a past relationship yet they seem like strangers. There is precious little chemistry between these two and what should be a poignant death falls flat. While not the main relationship at the heart of the film it was set up to increase the personal stakes for Bond. The lack of chemistry negates the emotion.
    • Tanya Roberts and Roger Moore A View To A Kill is it the age difference between the leads? Is it a lazy script? Whatever it is the lack of chemistry between Moore and Roberts negates any romantic vibes that we may have felt for these two. The dropped the soap line induces a cringe at the end of this film.
    • Diana Rigg and George Lazenby On Her Majesty's Secret Service does the novice actor hurt this chemistry? It isn't the script which gives plenty of time for the romance between these two. But does it ever feel like Bond has fallen for Tracy? I am not sure these two ever really clicked on screen. We mourn at the end not for a love that is no more, but rather because Rigg made Tracy such a dynamic character. Credit to George for the tears at the end but the chemistry in the film is lacking.

There you have it a list of 5 nominees for worst screen combo. Which one do you think deserves the Klebbie? Which screen combo should be awarded to the worst on-screen pairing of actors in a film?

Feel free to write in your own vote, keep it to the main, or secondary female lead when writing in your own vote.
    Terri Hatcher and Pierce Brosnan Tomorrow Never Dies these two are supposed to have a past relationship yet they seem like strangers. There is precious little chemistry between these two and what should be a poignant death falls flat. While not the main relationship at the heart of the film it was set up to increase the personal stakes for Bond. The lack of chemistry negates the emotion.

I never bought the story. Teri's just terrible. Lea and Dan make up for it in the enxt film, Lazenby and Diana works fine for me, as do Carole and Roger. Tanya nad Roger perhaps less so, but at least the story sort of makes sense.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited May 5 Posts: 2,029
    I’d say Moore and Bouquet. Moore is trying his best but it just doesn’t click with his much younger costar.

I also think Lazenby and Rigg do not belong on that list, I find their chemistry pretty excellent despite all the rumors about their off screen relationship.

I’d replace them with Connery and Hama.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Of these choices, Carole Bouquet. I sense zero chemistry at all there.

Lea/Daniel is not great in SP but they redeemed themselves in NTTD.

Hatcher and Brosnan have I-hate-you, undeniable sexual chemistry.

I kind of buy Tanya Roberts and Moore...she reads a bit more worldly than most (minus the cringe-inducing tuck-you-into-bed scene).

Rigg has chemistry with everyone...I half-expected her to get it on with Blofeld as well.

I would add Mie Hama and Connery to this list. Zero.
  • edited May 6 Posts: 6,854
    Terri Hatcher and Pierce Brosnan Tomorrow Never Dies these two are supposed to have a past relationship yet they seem like strangers. There is precious little chemistry between these two and what should be a poignant death falls flat. While not the main relationship at the heart of the film it was set up to increase the personal stakes for Bond. The lack of chemistry negates the emotion.

I never bought the story. Teri's just terrible. Lea and Dan make up for it in the enxt film, Lazenby and Diana works fine for me, as do Carole and Roger. Tanya nad Roger perhaps less so, but at least the story sort of makes sense.

+1
    The fact is, Hatcher and Brossa didn't get on, I believe she was pregnant, and suffering from morning sickness, and was constantly late to the shooting, thus annoying Brosnan. Despite this, the writing didnt help. After Paris death, a few minutes later Bond is smiling and enjoying his ride in his remote control car ". ...did I get too close?"
    "Yes!"
    Yeh, right!
    I also agree with @R1s1ngs0n , Lazenby and Rigg most certainly do not belong in this list!
    I would add Brossa and Wai Lin from TND, or in fact Brossa with any of his leading ladies 😁
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It's usually a difficult one for me to decide on, since in real life there can be more chemistry between two people than what you see visibly in third person...

I'll go with Bouquet & Moore. They didn't need to have romantic chemistry for most of the film. They were two strangers working together to achieve a similar goal. At the end, the two of them getting together was both inevitable and jarring because there was no clear build-up to it. Maybe if they kissed on the mountain top, that could've been a great moment to watch and transition nicely.

I'm fine with the other pairings listed.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited May 6 Posts: 3,349
    I’m going to have to do a write in for Sean Connery and Mie Hama.

Might not be fair due to the language barrier, but at the same time I think Akiko Wakabayashi and Sean have wonderful chemistry and Aki is among my favorite Bond girls. I enjoy Mie in King Kong vs Godzilla, but the ability for me to believe the marriage set up and compatibility is really compromised by their lack of chemistry.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 6 Posts: 8,044
    I'd go with Bouquet and Moore of the listed options, as well. It works if you focus in on the mentorship side of their relationship (Moore's experience and dare I say "weariness" means he sells that aspect extremely well despite Bouquet's limited acting ability), but the fact they had to make it romantic by the end was a big mistake for me. It would have been a far more interesting dynamic without it, just as Bond and Stacey would have been in AVTAK, and Bond and Wai Lin in TND.

Edit: @MooseWithFleas makes a compelling case so I'd actually like to support his write in of Sean and Mie with my vote instead.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I tried to pick pairings where the script plays up the romance. Bond and Lin really don't hint at romance and really only share one look that might suggest something. So I went with Bond and Paris because that was played up on a romance or the fact that one existed.

In terms of Connery and Mie I was tempted to put them on the list. However the script doesn't really give them much to do in terms of romantic scenes. Bond to me comes off as a horn dog here and while it's a product of its time, the formula of Bond must bed three women is painfully obvious here. However I can accept this being a good write in choice.

I think I put Rigg and Laz on the list because of Laz and his rather wooden acting. I don't really buy that he's fallen deeply, madly in love. Maybe the script does him dirty by having him bed the Angels while he's apparently in love with Tracy. However the scenes with Laz and Rigg to me lack a chemistry.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I have to write in Michelle Yeoh and Pierce Brosnan.
    thedove wrote: »
    I tried to pick pairings where the script plays up the romance. Bond and Lin really don't hint at romance and really only share one look that might suggest something. So I went with Bond and Paris because that was played up on a romance or the fact that one existed.

In terms of Connery and Mie I was tempted to put them on the list. However the script doesn't really give them much to do in terms of romantic scenes. Bond to me comes off as a horn dog here and while it's a product of its time, the formula of Bond must bed three women is painfully obvious here. However I can accept this being a good write in choice.

I think I put Rigg and Laz on the list because of Laz and his rather wooden acting. I don't really buy that he's fallen deeply, madly in love. Maybe the script does him dirty by having him bed the Angels while he's apparently in love with Tracy. However the scenes with Laz and Rigg to me lack a chemistry.

Disagree entirely with that last line! The scene in the barn where he proposes to Tracy I thought Lazenby was very convincing! Despite his lack of acting skills, I think George did quite well as Bond!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    thedove wrote: »

Disagree entirely with that last line! The scene in the barn where he proposes to Tracy I thought Lazenby was very convincing! Despite his lack of acting skills, I think George did quite well as Bond!

yep, that was my reading as well. He's keeping a distance from her at the start, hence easily bedding the angels. he said he might be interested if she first got herself back on track. When they meet at the ice rink, he's definately falling for her. tbh I find it one of the most convincing love stories in a Bond film, probably the best. Lazenby is described as wooden, but I don't think that's entirely fair. OK, he sometimes seems slightly lost, but that's his lack of experience. Diana's definately guiding him in their scenes together. And I think she raises his game considerably. I think their 'hampered relationship' off screen is way overblown. He was probably just messing about a bit, which Diana probably didn't like, considering her professionalism. Still, I think Lazenby did a good job, beeing the novice he was.

The problem with these things is that we put our own norms on the characters we love, but Bond isn't as pius as many would want him to be. Lazenby's reading I think is close to him personally, but also corresponds to the Bond from the books if you ask me. The wish of settling down is constantly hampered by the excitement of his life, and the fact that he lives in the moment (as, btw, did Lazenby himself).

• peterpeter Toronto
    edited May 6 Posts: 8,577
    I was so deeply disappointed in Craig and Seydoux in SP. They had a terrible first meeting, with an interview which barely did anything other than to tell us how close Bond was to White (would White have answered the questionaire too differently)?

Then Bond saves her, and they have a screaming match.

I do like what starts to happen at L'American; threats, but a thawing, and then, all of that gets tossed out the window after the Hinx fight where they're magically head over heels and in love.

The return of Swann in NTTD wasn't something I was looking forward to (and thankfully they knocked my socks off.

So I will vote for Craig and Seydoux in SP.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited May 6 Posts: 4,400
    Moore and Bouquet. I don't see any convincing acting from the model. They aren't believable as a lover combo. I like the close up to her eyes after the murder of her parents, at least.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Moore and Bouquet. I don't see any convincing acting from the model. They aren't believable as a lover combo. I like the close up to her eyes after the murder of her parents, at least.

What makes it worse is the relationship between them was meant to be paternal, yet made it romantic in the end, the age gap doesn't help.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

What makes it worse is the relationship between them was meant to be paternal, yet made it romantic in the end, the age gap doesn't help.

Yes, the end feels forced and it somehow even works worse than in AVTAK.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I don't think any of them are too bad.
    Lazenby and Rigg I'd even say have superb chemistry. I put them with Craig/Green and Dalton/d'Abo amongst the very best in the series.

Also think Léa is underrated, loved her in SP, and she was one of the few things that kept NTTD watchable for me.

I'd write in Yeoh and Brosnan. Probably the worst on-screen couple in terms of chemistry in the entire series.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I don't think any of them are too bad.
    Lazenby and Rigg I'd even say have superb chemistry. I put them with Craig/Green and Dalton/d'Abo amongst the very best in the series.

Also think Léa is underrated, loved her in SP, and she was one of the few things that kept NTTD watchable for me.

I'd write in Yeoh and Brosnan. Probably the worst on-screen couple in terms of chemistry in the entire series.

+1
  • edited May 7 Posts: 2,981
    I agree that the Lazenby/Rigg addition is odd. For all of the film’s and even Lazenby’s faults I think the onscreen pairing makes that film work. It helps that Rigg was an accomplished actress/seemingly helps share the screen with him rather than outshine him.

I’d actually say that Brosnan and Hatcher are fine too, at least if you keep in mind they share a complicated history. They lean into the idea of being a bit awkward/cold around each other initially. Even Craig and Seydoux aren’t too bad (Swan’s an icy character anyway, and by NTTD they seem believable as a couple).

None of these are bad as such, but I suppose for me it’s Moore and Bouquet. Given the age difference I think Moore leaned into it as more paternal/with more a sense of romance rather than outright sexual attraction. Which is actually the best thing to do under the circumstances and works, but they don’t quite have that spark that the best Bond/Bond girl pairings have.