PASSING CORONA TIMES: any suggestions for creative hobbies?

Comments

• edited March 2020 Posts: 4,600
    Just ordered one of these - you can guess why

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03966-c-45f-expeditor--966998
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Quite the patient man you are, @patb. I tried one of those once; I lacked the patience and, even more so, the skill. I admire yours, sir.
    Well, I do have lots of time on my hands, it will be a car crash. Have not built a kit for 30 years, it's not like riding a bike. But low expectations are good. How do I match the colours? https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/Beechcraft_C-45H_Expeditor
    Seinfeld - 1 down, 177 to go
    A friend of mine suggested It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia to me. I think I'm going to start with Bojack Horseman, all six seasons, though.

But only after I've finished watching Cowboy Bebop for the umptieth time.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    patb wrote: »
    Well, I do have lots of time on my hands, it will be a car crash. Have not built a kit for 30 years, it's not like riding a bike. But low expectations are good. How do I match the colours? https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/Beechcraft_C-45H_Expeditor

I have no idea! But you can buy special paper to print your own decals.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just started The Office (US). Never seen any of it before now.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I’ve always enjoyed aquarium keeping. And everything you need you can get delivered; yes even the fish. It usually costs more to mail order fish but they’re almost always in better health and more colorful than local fish stores (I’d recommend liveaquaria.com for fish, and Amazon has everything else).

This was a nano-reef tank I had years ago;
    7hL0tJU_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Under blue night lights;
    TxfT38n_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Wow you own an aquarium?@BMW_with_missiles

Yeah I’ve had tanks for years.
    @BMW_with_missiles you should get a little Octopussy

Haha I’ve thought about it actually but they’re escape artists and they have ridiculously short lifespans for their price.

@BMW_with_missiles really? That is so cool what kind of fish you got how many tanks?

Right now just one 55 gallon saltwater tank with a velvet damselfish and some hermit crabs. I’m still deciding what else to put in.

ok wow @BMW_with_missiles maybe you could have a sea turtle or sea horse.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I’ve always enjoyed aquarium keeping. And everything you need you can get delivered; yes even the fish. It usually costs more to mail order fish but they’re almost always in better health and more colorful than local fish stores (I’d recommend liveaquaria.com for fish, and Amazon has everything else).

This was a nano-reef tank I had years ago;
    7hL0tJU_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Under blue night lights;
    TxfT38n_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Wow you own an aquarium?@BMW_with_missiles

Yeah I’ve had tanks for years.
    @BMW_with_missiles you should get a little Octopussy

Haha I’ve thought about it actually but they’re escape artists and they have ridiculously short lifespans for their price.

@BMW_with_missiles really? That is so cool what kind of fish you got how many tanks?

Right now just one 55 gallon saltwater tank with a velvet damselfish and some hermit crabs. I’m still deciding what else to put in.

ok wow @BMW_with_missiles maybe you could have a sea turtle or sea horse.

I had a sea horse years ago. They’re actually really boring because they hardly move and they are so much work to keep alive.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I found a sea horse skeleton on the beach back in 1991. It's only 5cm in length, maybe a tad longer if you could uncurl the tail. I still have it, in an old Log Cabin tobacco tin with tissue paper.
    Just ordered one of these - you can guess why

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03966-c-45f-expeditor--966998
    Very cool @patb! Maybe go with a Tamiya Flat Blue acrylic. I haven't made any scale models since I was a kid, but a while back I bought these two kits:

1:72 scale L-39 Aero Albatros from TND - an old kit, but I got it cheap because the decals (most of which I don't need) were water damaged:
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49684806543_6551ac22e3_o.jpg

1:144 scale Boeing 747 and shuttle from MR. An ambitious project that I will need to make space for in the Bond room!
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49685342091_0fbe60e7d4_c.jpg

As usual, prop making keeps me busy. When I learned of the film's delay, I was, of course, disappointed, but it gives me more time to finish some of the more intricate projects which require modelling parts in a CAD program then 3D printing them. Some work-in-progress images here of a NTTD project I'm quite close to finishing:
    49685723447_11d11249d6_o.png
    49684890453_eb85818578_o.png
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just started The Office (US). Never seen any of it before now.

Likewise I started watching a few days back on Amazon Prime, it is just as funny as the UK version. Never watched it previously either.
    @QBranch Flat blue looks perfect, thank you so much, will put that in the basket
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    QBranch wrote: »
    1:72 scale L-39 Aero Albatros from TND - an old kit, but I got it cheap because the decals (most of which I don't need) were water damaged:
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49684806543_6551ac22e3_o.jpg

This is on my list to do! I've already acquired a Huey kit so I can have a crack at the fake Red Cross helicopter from TLD.
    wow - the L39 is a great idea,

I was looking at the Airfix 1/48 little Nellie but I would want to do a couple of Bell choppers aswell and you cant seem to get these in 1/48 (my favourite scale - or was 40 years ago),

this would look great with a 1/48 PB clinging to the side?

https://www.emodels.co.uk/roden-1-48-pilatus-pc-6-b2-h4-turbo-porter-449-plastic-model-kit.html

or one of these:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/ms/kit_ms_7201.shtml

with this in the back?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Italeri-Model-i1028-Aviation-OH-6-Cayuse/dp/B000BMX7AC

getting carried away now
    edited March 2020 Posts: 13,929
    @QBranch Flat blue looks perfect, thank you so much, will put that in the basket
    My pleasure! Looking forward to seeing the finished model, maybe with a cliff face for a display stand?
    steady there, one step at a time , meanwhile, so much potential for Bond models..

https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/airplanes-james-bond-180957171/
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,526
    071019_MT_poker-ai_feat.jpg

For quarantined Poker players out there; would anyone be interested in joining a Poker club online?

I've set one up on Pokerstars.com, it's very simple, and maybe if we have a few people into it, we could schedule some games while we're all stuck inside?

@DarthDimi maybe we could create a thread about it, if there's enough interest?
    That would be awesome, and even better if we are able to alter the card backs and chips to match what's on screen. I have most of the designs to do it.
    QBranch wrote: »
    That would be awesome, and even better if we are able to alter the card backs and chips to match what's on screen. I have most of the designs to do it.

Awesome! Would you be able to do that through Pokerstars?
    edited March 2020 Posts: 13,929
    I doubt it, but it's something I've always wanted to do. I used to play Hearts on PC and give the other three players Bond character names.
    @NickTwentyTwo
    Go ahead, sir.
    Well, the 1/48 C-45 Expeditor has arrived but no pilot. I need a 1/48 Khan!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 13,014
    Well, the 1/48 C-45 Expeditor has arrived but no pilot. I need a 1/48 Khan!
    1/48 Khan is indeed a very rare breed.
    Between DIY and gardening and still working out in the community? I do not think I will be at a loose end anytime soon!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Between DIY and gardening and still working out in the community? I do not think I will be at a loose end anytime soon!

I am still working myself thankfully, it's great to get out of home and keeping busy is making time go considerably quicker.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I am still working myself thankfully, it's great to get out of home and keeping busy is making time go considerably quicker.

Working on my round is very bizarre? It is like working in a ghost town! Which is good as it is what we need to do to beat this thing quicker!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I’m reading all Fleming novels in chronological order. Back in January I bought the first 8 books (the only ones available in a brand new series of re-releases revisiting the first edition covers of the 50s) and I just started Goldfinger. Already downloaded a pdf version of the other 4 plus the short stories.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,526
    matt_u wrote: »
    I’m reading all Fleming novels in chronological order. Back in January I bought the first 8 books (the only ones available in a brand new series of re-releases revisiting the first edition covers of the 50s) and I just started Goldfinger. Already downloaded a pdf version of the other 4 plus the short stories.

Will you read TM after? Or just sticking with Fleming?

My next read through will be Fleming novels in release order, with FAAD and TM before CR and after GF respectively.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    matt_u wrote: »

Will you read TM after? Or just sticking with Fleming?

My next read through will be Fleming novels in release order, with FAAD and TM before CR and after GF respectively.

I think I will stick to Fleming even tho I didn’t even thought about your approach to be honest which is cool. I’m also kind of intrigued by Col. Sun...