NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

13468950

Comments

  • Posts: 10,706
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I don't really get why people hated WOTW and seem to give this one a free pass. Maybe it's because I love WOTW, but I find that these two songs have a lot in common.

    For me more than anything else, because I immensely prefer Eilish’s vocals over Smith’s.
  • Posts: 10,706

    Certainly shouldn’t be ruled out given we got this in SP too.
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    Posts: 78
    Initial impression was average. It felt it was building upto something yet it never seemed to happen in my opinion............. however, the version we get in the titles for the movie and the live version with Zimmer and co may step it up a notch.

    I won’t deny it sounds very Bond though so no fault in that sense and with the visuals released on the 007 social accounts it works and the words are clever in terms of how the film with play out etc so it’s woven well in terms of context at face value.

    It may well be a grower for me but I’m not in a mad hurry to listen again but happy to give it time and chance teamed with the full orchestra in toe and as mentioned in the titles as the movie version along with a good titles sequence it’ll be fine.

    How it’ll do in the charts I don’t know, Billie is hot talent right now but is this something I can imagine her target audience and demographic listening to?... Not so sure but time will tell, after all there’s, no time to die

    🍸
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,568
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I don't really get why people hated WOTW and seem to give this one a free pass. Maybe it's because I love WOTW, but I find that these two songs have a lot in common.
    I agree with this. Lyrically, this is slightly better. But they are very similar songs.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 16,099
    Not my cup of tea honestly. It's rather melodramatic and as bad as Smith's song. I'm half expecting Bond to become goth.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Posts: 349
    I've listened to it once. Her enunciation is quite garbled. I was waiting for it to crescendo, but it just seemed to meander. Maybe it's a grower. Third best of the Craig era. A few more listens might change my opinion.
  • Posts: 790
    jake24 wrote: »
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I don't really get why people hated WOTW and seem to give this one a free pass. Maybe it's because I love WOTW, but I find that these two songs have a lot in common.
    I agree with this. Lyrically, this is slightly better. But they are very similar songs.

    It feels like this is their second attempt to get this "kind" of song right for Craig, and with some conscious effort to avoid the traps that a lot of people consistently will say sink the Smith song.

    Also, it feels like everyone's been bemoaning for years that they didn't use Radiohead's song instead -- and this is very much in that vein. So, rejoice!

  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,854
    I can't really form an opinion until I see the visuals on the credits, but I'll say it's definitely a Bond song.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,172
    And the Oscar goes to...

    I loved it.
    Got more or less what i was expecting from Billie after listening to her music for weeks, but what i really loved about it were all the bits and pieces that Zimmer and Mazzaro added. That gave me a lot more confidence for their Score.
  • BMWTREKPSEBMWTREKPSE Colorado
    Posts: 103
    My thoughts: It was honestly better an I anticipate. I had very low expectations after watching some of her music videos (that seemed like horror videos). It grew on me after a few listens, but I still don't love it. It's too slow for me. I kept waiting for the climax of the song but it kind of never came. I did like the horns though! The lyrics are interesting and I like the direction they took. I can't wait to see the title sequence. I almost never REALLY like a Bond song until I see the title sequence and the movie.

    First listen: 4/10. Current 6/10.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,156
    jake24 wrote: »
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I don't really get why people hated WOTW and seem to give this one a free pass. Maybe it's because I love WOTW, but I find that these two songs have a lot in common.
    I agree with this. Lyrically, this is slightly better. But they are very similar songs.
    Because WOTW is a song that is lyrically from Bonds perspective but it whiny, needy, pleading and generally weak; it is the antithesis of Bond.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited February 2020 Posts: 416
    1. YKMN
    2. Skyfall
    3. NTTD (a close 3rd... I feel NTTD is a stronger song/more Bondian than SF, however Adele’s vocals elevate it slightly above. If Adele had done vocals on this track it could be the best of the Craig era. Zimmer and Marr’s contributions elevate the song immeasurably - it’s got brass and guitar twang!)
    4. AWTD
    5. WOTW
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,172
    You can also hear some of Zimmer's signature staccato violins in the background from 2:20 onwards. Very Inception or Dark Knight like.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython The Black Lodge
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,174
    talos7 wrote: »
    JamesStock wrote: »
    First impression: I like it, but not love. I so badly wanted this one to go bombastic, kickin in with the guitar and drums, but it never does.

    It is better than I was expecting and miles better than the last one, even though it's quite similar in mood. Lyrics are one of the best for a Bond song.

    +1 you saved me some typing; I definitely wanted it to kick into a higher gear .

    It wouldn't have been appropriate for this song. It's a somber break up song, not something that makes you pump your fist in the air as it plays.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Posts: 924
    Nicely sung by Billie Eilish. Can't wait to see how it goes with the opening credits sequence. Really liking it. Powerful lyrics too. Currently on repeat in my Spotify.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,568
    talos7 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I don't really get why people hated WOTW and seem to give this one a free pass. Maybe it's because I love WOTW, but I find that these two songs have a lot in common.
    I agree with this. Lyrically, this is slightly better. But they are very similar songs.
    Because WOTW is a song that is lyrically from Bonds perspective but it whiny, needy, pleading and generally weak; it is the antithesis of Bond.
    Is this not in the same vein?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython The Black Lodge
    Posts: 5,174
    jake24 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I don't really get why people hated WOTW and seem to give this one a free pass. Maybe it's because I love WOTW, but I find that these two songs have a lot in common.
    I agree with this. Lyrically, this is slightly better. But they are very similar songs.
    Because WOTW is a song that is lyrically from Bonds perspective but it whiny, needy, pleading and generally weak; it is the antithesis of Bond.
    Is this not in the same vein?

    I'm wondering if it's from Madeleine's POV.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,333
    320,000+ views in just two hours on Eilish's You Tube channel.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,568
    jake24 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I don't really get why people hated WOTW and seem to give this one a free pass. Maybe it's because I love WOTW, but I find that these two songs have a lot in common.
    I agree with this. Lyrically, this is slightly better. But they are very similar songs.
    Because WOTW is a song that is lyrically from Bonds perspective but it whiny, needy, pleading and generally weak; it is the antithesis of Bond.
    Is this not in the same vein?

    I'm wondering if it's from Madeleine's POV.
    Had that thought too. Could be.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2020 Posts: 6,156
    talos7 wrote: »
    JamesStock wrote: »
    First impression: I like it, but not love. I so badly wanted this one to go bombastic, kickin in with the guitar and drums, but it never does.

    It is better than I was expecting and miles better than the last one, even though it's quite similar in mood. Lyrics are one of the best for a Bond song.

    +1 you saved me some typing; I definitely wanted it to kick into a higher gear .

    It wouldn't have been appropriate for this song. It's a somber break up song, not something that makes you pump your fist in the air as it plays.
    jake24 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I don't really get why people hated WOTW and seem to give this one a free pass. Maybe it's because I love WOTW, but I find that these two songs have a lot in common.
    I agree with this. Lyrically, this is slightly better. But they are very similar songs.
    Because WOTW is a song that is lyrically from Bonds perspective but it whiny, needy, pleading and generally weak; it is the antithesis of Bond.
    Is this not in the same vein?
    This is not from Bond’s perspective, big difference. I see this as being from Swan.
    Either way there’s a difference between a a melancholy, possibility tragic lyric and whiny and weak song.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Posts: 970
    Minimalistic and fitting are two words to spring to mind, after listening. It's basically a better version of WOTW and it complements the previous two songs. Sure, it's not one of my all time faves but I didn't expect that, so all good. 7/10 for now. It might become a 7.5/7.8 depending on the intro. Eilish her whispering tickles my ASMR bone. Not that one.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Posts: 4,333
    At the :20 mark, we get a Pink Floyd "Breathe" sort of vibe, eh?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Posts: 5,172
    Zimmer confirms he will be at the brit awards
  • sabrinasabrina florida usa
    Posts: 6
    Ranks right up there with QOS and MWTGG as one of the worst ever. Was hoping for a blowout hit for DC last film but not here. The classics themes seems dead as this is a attempt to invoke SkyFall. It may be accurate to what we know of the plot that Maddy decieves Bond but other than that very dull. Hans Zimmer must not have had much time to input here. If you want pizzazz listen to the Wonder Women 1984 trailer with Hans Zimmer music and imagine what could have been here :)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,156
    It's basically a better version of WOTW

    It’s interesting that you say this, my daughters reaction to the song was , “ this is what Sam Smith was trying to do. “



  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Posts: 4,333
    talos7 wrote: »
    It's basically a better version of WOTW

    It’s interesting that you say this, my daughters reaction to the song was , “ this is what Sam Smith was trying to do. “



    I think it is closer to what Radiohead was trying to do, heavy on keyboards.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 6,591
    sabrina wrote: »
    Ranks right up there with QOS and MWTGG as one of the worst ever. Was hoping for a blowout hit for DC last film but not here. The classics themes seems dead as this is a attempt to invoke SkyFall. It may be accurate to what we know of the plot that Maddy decieves Bond but other than that very dull. Hans Zimmer must not have had much time to input here. If you want pizzazz listen to the Wonder Women 1984 trailer with Hans Zimmer music and imagine what could have been here :)

    There's no Hans Zimmer music in the Wonder Woman trailer.
  • sabrinasabrina florida usa
    Posts: 6
    You are wrong do more research
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited February 2020 Posts: 970
    talos7 wrote: »
    It's basically a better version of WOTW

    It’s interesting that you say this, my daughters reaction to the song was , “ this is what Sam Smith was trying to do. “



    Your daughter is a genius, dear @talos7 . Simple as that.
Sign In or Register to comment.