NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

1235750

Comments

  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Posts: 1,180
    Risico007 wrote: »
    gt007 wrote: »
    It's OK. Not great, but OK. Although the more I listen to it it's slightly growing on me. I think it'll benefit by Kleinman's visuals in the film.

    It's interesting that the orchestral arrangement was by Zimmer and Matt Dunkley. Perhaps giving us a tiny taste of what the film's score will sound like.

    Also, the guitar was played by Johnny Marr.

    How did you know

    Posted on Instagram by the song's co-writer/co-producer:
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython "I want you looking FABULOUS."
    Posts: 4,651
    Risico007 wrote: »
    gt007 wrote: »
    It's OK. Not great, but OK. Although the more I listen to it it's slightly growing on me. I think it'll benefit by Kleinman's visuals in the film.

    It's interesting that the orchestral arrangement was by Zimmer and Matt Dunkley. Perhaps giving us a tiny taste of what the film's score will sound like.

    Also, the guitar was played by Johnny Marr.

    How did you know

    It's been confirmed that Zimmer and Eilish worked together on the song.
  • The orchestra is once again the best part of the song. Beautiful
  • robcope wrote: »
    I try to not speak in hyperbole, but damn, this is terrible. Just dreadful.Three straight unBondian songs. I suppose this is our punishment for AWTD, but the series is clearly descending away from any tempo whatsoever that we're now just at emotional, sad piano music. I don't like it one bit. Bond songs have brass, some tempo, mostly fun. This is the third time in 5 outings that Daniel Craig's James Bond will be crying over a woman. Enough already.

    Much like Fleming's Bond then.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython "I want you looking FABULOUS."
    Posts: 4,651
    robcope wrote: »
    I try to not speak in hyperbole, but damn, this is terrible. Just dreadful.Three straight unBondian songs. I suppose this is our punishment for AWTD, but the series is clearly descending away from any tempo whatsoever that we're now just at emotional, sad piano music. I don't like it one bit. Bond songs have brass, some tempo, mostly fun. This is the third time in 5 outings that Daniel Craig's James Bond will be crying over a woman. Enough already.

    Much like Fleming's Bond then.

    Ha!

    But really, he was such a softy in the novels.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Posts: 1,180
    Lyrics:
    I should've known,
    I'd leave alone,
    Just goes to show,
    That the blood you bleed is just the blood you own.

    We were a pair,
    But I saw you there,
    Too much to bear,
    You were my life but life is far away from fair.

    Was I stupid to love you? Was I reckless to help?
    What is obvious to everybody else?

    But I've fallen for a lie,
    You and I were on my side,
    Fool me once, fool me twice,
    Higher than the paradise,
    Now you'll never see me cry,
    There's just no time to die.

    I let it burn,
    You're no longer my concern,
    Faces from my past return,
    Another lesson to learn,

    But I've fallen for a lie,
    You and I were on my side,
    Fool me once, fool me twice,
    Higher than the paradise,
    Now you'll never see me cry,
    There's just no time to die.

    No time to die.

    No time to die.

    Fool me once, fool me twice,
    Higher than the paradise,
    Now you'll never see me cry,
    There's just no time to die.

    This is just from listening to it, and the "Higher than the paradise" line is definitely wrong (probably a "Him" or a "You" in there somewhere...) but I can't hack it.

    The line is “how you dare the paradise”.

    Thank you!

    Are we sure it's not "Are you death or paradise"?
  • robcoperobcope St. Petersburg, FL
    edited February 2020 Posts: 58
    Much like Fleming's Bond then.

    Fleming's Bond was notably more non-emotional than this. This is Craig wanting to show his range as an actor to make Bond suffer and cry.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Posts: 1,499
    I like it but can we please get a less depressing theme for at least the next few films?
  • robcope wrote: »
    Much like Fleming's Bond then.

    Fleming's Bond was notably more non-emotional than this. This is Craig wanting to show his range as an actor to make Bond suffer and cry.

    He was strongly affected by some of his relationships with women.
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    Posts: 114
    lyrics:

    I should have known
    I'd leave alone
    Just goes to show
    That the blood you bleed
    Is just the blood you own

    We were a pair
    But I saw you there
    Too much to bear
    You were my life,
    but life is far away from fair

    Was I stupid to love you?
    Was I reckless to help?
    Was it obvious to everybody else?

    That I'd fallen for a lie
    You were never on my side
    Fool me once, fool me twice
    Are you death or paradise?
    Now you'll never see me cry
    There's just no time to die

    I let it burn
    You're no longer my concern
    Faces from my past return
    Another lesson yet to learn

    That I'd fallen for a lie
    You were never on my side
    Fool me once, fool me twice
    Are you death or paradise?
    Now you'll never see me cry
    There's just no time to die

    No time to die
    No, no time to die

    Fool me once, fool me twice
    Are you death or paradise?
    Now you'll never see me cry
    There's just no time to die
  • 'You were never on my side' potential spoiler?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,033
    So, AWTD was a Bondian song? Seriously? Everyone to his/her own taste. But Alicia Key's moaning, shouting and grunting IMO is worse than SF and WOTW. And the Sam Smith falsetto sobbing IS dreadful, the tune as such was fine. But then some people still belive, that Carig's Bond is a complete disastrer, preferring DAD over CR, which to me is a mystery.
  • Loque72Loque72 Swindon
    Posts: 3
    Didn't like the last three bond songs, this is much better. Eilish vocals need to grow on me, but the tune is proper Bond. 2nd best song of the Craig era after Chris Cornell.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 6,457
    robcope wrote: »
    I try to not speak in hyperbole, but damn, this is terrible. Just dreadful.Three straight unBondian songs. I suppose this is our punishment for AWTD, but the series is clearly descending away from any tempo whatsoever that we're now just at emotional, sad piano music. I don't like it one bit. Bond songs have brass, some tempo, mostly fun. This is the third time in 5 outings that Daniel Craig's James Bond will be crying over a woman. Enough already.

    Skyfall is about as Bondian as it gets, musically.
  • Posts: 5,595
    I...like it. Much better than what I was expecting. Contained, yet Bondian. Miles better than Smith's falsetto crap. Nowhere near as good as SF or YKMN, though. But, I...really like it.
  • robcoperobcope St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts: 58
    He was strongly affected by some of his relationships with women.

    I don't remember Bond crying in every other book. Bottom line is that we've seen Bond crying over Vesper and M's bodies. Do we really need to have another movie where Bond is heart broken over a woman? Shouldn't that have been covered by CR and, at worst, SF?
  • robcope wrote: »
    He was strongly affected by some of his relationships with women.

    I don't remember Bond crying in every other book. Bottom line is that we've seen Bond crying over Vesper and M's bodies. Do we really need to have another movie where Bond is heart broken over a woman? Shouldn't that have been covered by CR and, at worst, SF?

    Not literally, no.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Posts: 1,180
    Is it just me, or does she say "there's just more time to die" in the second chorus? To be fair, her articulation isn't the best...
  • robcoperobcope St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts: 58
    So, AWTD was a Bondian song? Seriously? Everyone to his/her own taste. But Alicia Key's moaning, shouting and grunting IMO is worse than SF and WOTW. And the Sam Smith falsetto sobbing IS dreadful, the tune as such was fine. But then some people still belive, that Carig's Bond is a complete disastrer, preferring DAD over CR, which to me is a mystery.

    I personally like AWTD, but I agree that it's not a particularly Bondian sound. And yes, Skyfall does have some great orchestral points. But it seems that after AWTD, they seem to be intent on slowing down and depressing the themes, and I hope this is the low point.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython "I want you looking FABULOUS."
    Posts: 4,651
    'You were never on my side' potential spoiler?

    Depends on the point of view. Is it Bond's or Madeleine's? Last song was Bond's, and before release I assumed it would be Madeleine's.

    If indeed her's then she's very much an important part of this movie more than many suspected.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,573
    gt007 wrote: »
    Lyrics:
    I should've known,
    I'd leave alone,
    Just goes to show,
    That the blood you bleed is just the blood you own.

    We were a pair,
    But I saw you there,
    Too much to bear,
    You were my life but life is far away from fair.

    Was I stupid to love you? Was I reckless to help?
    What is obvious to everybody else?

    But I've fallen for a lie,
    You and I were on my side,
    Fool me once, fool me twice,
    Higher than the paradise,
    Now you'll never see me cry,
    There's just no time to die.

    I let it burn,
    You're no longer my concern,
    Faces from my past return,
    Another lesson to learn,

    But I've fallen for a lie,
    You and I were on my side,
    Fool me once, fool me twice,
    Higher than the paradise,
    Now you'll never see me cry,
    There's just no time to die.

    No time to die.

    No time to die.

    Fool me once, fool me twice,
    Higher than the paradise,
    Now you'll never see me cry,
    There's just no time to die.

    This is just from listening to it, and the "Higher than the paradise" line is definitely wrong (probably a "Him" or a "You" in there somewhere...) but I can't hack it.

    The line is “how you dare the paradise”.

    Thank you!

    Are we sure it's not "Are you death or paradise"?

    Apple Music has it down as “How you dare the paradise”.

    8JIanvF.jpg
  • Posts: 306
    I need to give it a few more listens. However, I don't not like it. Anyone have an idea when the score is supposed to be released?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,304
    lyrics:

    I should have known
    I'd leave alone
    Just goes to show
    That the blood you bleed
    Is just the blood you own

    We were a pair
    But I saw you there
    Too much to bear
    You were my life,
    but life is far away from fair

    Was I stupid to love you?
    Was I reckless to help?
    Was it obvious to everybody else?

    That I'd fallen for a lie
    You were never on my side
    Fool me once, fool me twice
    Are you death or paradise?
    Now you'll never see me cry
    There's just no time to die

    I let it burn
    You're no longer my concern
    Faces from my past return
    Another lesson yet to learn

    That I'd fallen for a lie
    You were never on my side
    Fool me once, fool me twice
    Are you death or paradise?
    Now you'll never see me cry
    There's just no time to die

    No time to die
    No, no time to die

    Fool me once, fool me twice
    Are you death or paradise?
    Now you'll never see me cry
    There's just no time to die

    Got this already, page 4.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Posts: 3,157
    Gettler wrote: »
    I need to give it a few more listens. However, I don't not like it. Anyone have an idea when the score is supposed to be released?

    Probably the end of March.
  • First impression: I like it, but not love. I so badly wanted this one to go bombastic, kickin in with the guitar and drums, but it never does.

    It is better than I was expecting and miles better than the last one, even though it's quite similar in mood. Lyrics are one of the best for a Bond song.
  • General consensus seems to be that it's good but definitely not great or one that will go down as a classic.
  • ShakenNotStirredShakenNotStirred James Bond Will Return
    Posts: 1,170
    I like it! I was ready for it to go full 'Adele' by the 2nd chorus, but didn't quite reach that height. I also liked Sam Smith's tune, but this one sounds more Bondian. I could just see Kleinman's titles while it was playing. Good stuff and will grow on me more I think.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 4,304
    I like it! I was ready for it to go full 'Adele' by the 2nd chorus, but didn't quite reach that height. I also liked Sam Smith's tune, but this one sounds more Bondian. I could just see Kleinman's titles while it was playing. Good stuff and will grow on me more I think.

    Definitely made me think about Kleinman's titles and what they'll be like. Very intrigued.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,030
    JamesStock wrote: »
    First impression: I like it, but not love. I so badly wanted this one to go bombastic, kickin in with the guitar and drums, but it never does.

    It is better than I was expecting and miles better than the last one, even though it's quite similar in mood. Lyrics are one of the best for a Bond song.

    +1 you saved me some typing; I definitely wanted it to kick into a higher gear .

  • I don't really get why people hated WOTW and seem to give this one a free pass. Maybe it's because I love WOTW, but I find that these two songs have a lot in common.
Sign In or Register to comment.