NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Members' Reviews and Discussions (SPOILERS)

Comments

• I do have a lot of enthusiasm for the movie like many of us on here. I also thank you for not saying it in a snarky way 🙄. Anyway, thank you for enjoying my rambling review.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited October 2021 Posts: 972
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Watching SP for the first time since NTTD, I had a rare positive thought in regard to Craig’s penultimate Bond film; At least they didn’t kill him.

The perfect ending for Craig's Bond. Him and Madeleine driving off into the sunrise of London in the DB5. Should've ended it there. Sometimes I wish No Time To Die didn't exist because of that depressing ending. A waste of a good movie.
    Personally, I’ve become more and more in favor of the ending since learning of it. While I feel like maybe it could have been done better than straight up killing him off, my brother put it nicely: Bond was dead before the missiles hit him, between the gunshots and more importantly, him losing the chance to ever be with his lover and daughter again. More logical for his Bond to have an unhappy end IMO.
    Watching SP for the first time since NTTD, I had a rare positive thought in regard to Craig’s penultimate Bond film; At least they didn’t kill him.

I haven't watched SP again, but I may enjoy it more than I did because of NTTD now.

CR was on TV the other night and I caught the last part, from when Bond rolls the Aston. My wife said exactly the same thing I was thinking as we watched the end of the movie. `Now THAT is a Bond film!'

EON hit the right jackpot formula with CR, the same way they did back in 1964. That is what they need to emulate again to keep all fans and critics happy.
    JazzyBond wrote: »
    Let me start by saying I was so pumped to see this movie that I did read some spoilers going in and knew the ending and I’m happy I did because I was able to process it beforehand and be okay with it once I actually saw it. In any Bond movie there is always some slight plot holes and strange motivations etc. (Blofeld being able to see the meetings from his cell etc) I just chalk that up to Mr White’s line from QOS….”We have people everywhere, they could be in the same room with you” or something like that. Spectre has ways of infiltrating and making things happen ESPECIALLY for their leader. So that doesn’t bother me. Also, people here have asked what Safin’s motivations were etc. It’s a Bond movie! They explain enough for me. He wants revenge on Spectre for murdering his family and disfiguring him. Once he achieves that it is explained albeit briefly that he wants to be an Invisible God to the people, they unknowingly want to be controlled and he can control who lives and dies now. He also has buyers coming that I’m sure he has okayed and approved to sell them the bioweapon (they too believe in some new world order agenda etc). Again it’s a Bond movie. TSWLM had Stromberg’s water world paradise, Moonraker had Drax’s Adam and Eve Utopia. It’s along the same lines as those. Also I’ve read a lot about the screen time of Safin. Hell he’s in it a lot more than Dr. No, Stromberg, Green (QOS), Whittaker (TLD), Blofeld in YOLT). He’s in it in the beginning in an awesome horror fashion, he’s in the middle at Madeleine’s office (again creepy) and of course at the end. So after saying all of that and rambling I will now give a condensed review:
    Gunbarrel: Had no issue except Craig walking a tad too fast (not as good as Spectre’s but I liked the foreshadowing of him incinerating into the background and I really liked going thru the gunbarrel and seeing the reflection from the snow.
    PTS- One of it not the best PTS in the series. The horror opening (really well done and creepy as Hell) my wife was clenching my hand thru it all. The Bond and Madeleine connection felt genuine and sweet. The touching moment at Vesper’s grave the explosion and chaos that followed was excellent and you could really feel Bond’s betrayal and his past demons coming back to haunt him. The scene where Primo is shooting at the DB5 and Madeleine is imploring Bond is one of the highlights of the entire series you could feel the tension like you were really there and then he says “Okay” and opens fire!! Classic and epic!!
    The Title Sequence: loved the Dr No dots in the beginning and the ladies hands on the ice and yes I loved the reference to Britannia but after that it was a real muddled mess. It looked like plaster casts of Bond was used and the falling DB5 made no sense. Too bad because I loved the song but didn’t know why they cut out the very end of the song when Eilish goes back to the line “fool me once fool me twice” part. I guess they preferred to end it with her belting out the No Time to Die line. Anyway not a horrible Title sequence but in my opinion Kleinmann’s weakest effort.
    The opening: Loved the GE Boris feel of Valdo and the brutality of the Spectre agents breaking in. You could really feel the tension.
    Bond in Jamaica: Absolutely loved this part and wish they showed more of his home there. Just a couple more shots. The meeting with Felix and Ash was great too and the meeting with Nomi was done very well. Liked the exchange between the new and the old guard. It’s really what spurs him to take the job with Felix. Seeing if he can beat out Nomi and maybe put her in her place.
    Cuba: Now don’t get me wrong I loved Paloma and get her character came across cute and a little timid (needing liquid courage etc) then she kicks complete ass, but I didn’t understand or maybe I missed it but how was it so easy to infiltrate the Spectre party? Seems like they just walked in! Did she have contacts or something? The whole eyeball on the pillow was horrific and awesome and gave me an Eyes Wide Shut feel with the party/orgy going on. Loved the smoke coming down and all of Spectre surrounding Bond. Again creepy and cool! The shootout on the street didn’t really work for me, seemed like it was a set (which of course it was) but it didn’t feel authentic still it was good enough. Bond meeting back up with Felix and Ash with Valdo was great and I loved the tension when Valdo kicks the gun over to Ash. Hate that Felix died. Felt a little unnecessary especially with all of the other deaths to come in this move but oh well it was a touching moment between comrades. Bond going back and getting the Vantage and going to MI6 was fantastic and I loved that he was giving it to M. He’s not his boss anymore so good for him to put him in his place a little. Loved him flinging the guest pass into the trash! Meeting up with Q was fantastic as well and them getting to understand what they are dealing with was a little hard to understand but I feel an additional viewing with subtitles might clear this up for me. Safin and Madeleines meeting again was done very well and you can see he’s infatuated with her and feels a sense of ownership towards her.
    The meeting with Blofeld: I feel this had a lot of Silence of the Lambs feel to it which I loved. Felt Waltz was his usual creepy self here and it was going well until Bond kind of broke character and went with the YOLT line of Die Blofeld Die! It seemed clunky but at least they were trying something Fleming-ish.
    Norway: I personally loved this portion of the film! You could see the regret of the couple after having lost time together. The introduction of Mathilde was touching and sweet as well. Bond trying to figure out if the child was his was done very well too. The chase in the woods was gripping and tension filled because now Bond is not just trying to save himself he has something to lose now. He’s pissed and that shot from the trailer where the truck flips and he still fires at it is a classic scene now! The FYEO reference in killing Ash was a favorite of mine too!
    The final act: that Q-plane or whatever it is called was done a lot better than it looked on the trailers. I know it was CGI but it was very good CGI! Seeing more of Safin here was great too and seeing him walking around the poison garden was again creepy. I also mentioned in an earlier post that Primo was a great henchman in this movie! I loved how he was in Matera, Jamaica (to grab the toothbrush used to get Bond’s DNA) in Cuba and now here on Safin/Spectre Island. I for one totally caught what Safin’s endgame was. He was planning on making this island his new home with Madeleine and Mathilde and be an Invisible God while the earth culled itself into a more peaceful utopia. He will also make a load of money selling the bio weapon to the people he deems worthy of it. The staircase fight with Bond and the henchmen including Primo was epic and another highlight! “It blew his mind” 👏🏼!
    The finale: Even though I knew it was coming I didn’t know how and to see Bond get shot 4-5 times and then when we realize he has been injected with the “insurance” he had mentioned earlier in the form of Madeleine’s DNA makes for a heart wrenching ending. You can see him trying to work out the details in his mind and also with Q. Trying to see if their is a way this ends well and knowing it’s not going to. The conversation with Madeline was beyond heartbreaking but it gives Craig’s Bond a definite peace at the end knowing he finally did achieve real love with someone who did not betray him and he has a daughter to carry his legacy. Plus he died a hero because he HAD to reopen the silo doors again or the missiles would “bounce off like a trampoline” The ending afterwards was a tad rushed but I love the Jack London quote by M! The mother daughter moment was touching as well and ended in an unconventional “Bond. James Bond.” Overall I give it a 9/10 and it will probably always be a top 10 Bond movie! Too early to see how far up in the top 10 but more toward top 5 I would say at this point! Looking forward to the next version of James Bond because as always, some version of Bond will return!!

What a great review! I enjoyed reading this so much. I'll have to read it again, but I think I agree with everything you said. B-)

What 4EverBonded said.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 328
    The biggest issue I have with NTTD
    is that the film makes the whole Craig era tenure feel like it's not just Bond's arc but the legacy of Mr White's if not equal to then almost in measure. I've stated that I don't know where the love between Madeleine and Bond legitimately stems from but Bond's arc is inextricably linked to Mr White's.
    Bond's initial anguish from heart break and emotional trauma (Vesper) that has invariably played a role and is alluded to in all 5 Craig Bond films is because of Mr White.
    Bond and Mr White's daughter meet and inexplicably fall in love and we find out that Madeleine's own personal trauma comes back in to her life and effectively ruins it and facilitates Bond's demise as vengeance because of...Mr White.

And it's Mr White's daughter and granddaughter who not only survive but close out the Craig era, driving into the sunset.

It's certainly an interesting juxtaposition but I can't say I fully appreciate the closeness of the link between Mr White and Bond. Lastly, out of all this, Mr White ended up being a better Blofeld than Blofeld himself.
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    is that the film makes the whole Craig era tenure feel like it's not just Bond's arc but the legacy of Mr White's if not equal to then almost in measure. I've stated that I don't know where the love between Madeleine and Bond legitimately stems from but Bond's arc is inextricably linked to Mr White's.
    Bond's initial anguish from heart break and emotional trauma (Vesper) that has invariably played a role and is alluded to in all 5 Craig Bond films is because of Mr White.
    Bond and Mr White's daughter meet and inexplicably fall in love and we find out that Madeleine's own personal trauma comes back in to her life and effectively ruins it and facilitates Bond's demise as vengeance because of...Mr White.

And it's Mr White's daughter and granddaughter who not only survive but close out the Craig era, driving into the sunset.

It's certainly an interesting juxtaposition but I can't say I fully appreciate the closeness of the link between Mr White and Bond. Lastly, out of all this, Mr White ended up being a better Blofeld than Blofeld himself.

Maybe Mr. White was really
    Blofeld
    all along ;)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Funny no one had an issue with Tracy’s father being a mob boss. I guess he was one of the “nice” ones?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

How do people explicably fall in love?
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    mtm wrote: »

:))
  • mtm wrote: »

It helps when identifiable qualities of chemistry and attraction are involved? I take it you've never been in a relationship before.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861

It helps when identifiable qualities of chemistry and attraction are involved? I take it you've never been in a relationship before.

Ha! Unnecessary ad hominem stuff already? You'll fit in well around here.
    I like the idea that there's some sort of chemical formula for attraction and chemistry. It doesn't really work like that: it just happens.
    Or
    Jesus.

:D lol

Ha! Unnecessary ad hominem stuff already? You'll fit in well around here.

:))
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited October 2021 Posts: 292
    'From double helixes to treble Felixes, Jamaican Ama girls to a Cuban Ana girl, Greek gods and strident tridents on Her Majesty's Secret and Cinematic Service, and a wholly fitting Swann song... The Sunset Bullet that is NO TIME TO DIE is a bravura, bold and brave piece of Bond cinema. Daniel Craig used his time.'
    - Mark O'Connell

SPOILERS!

THE SUNSET BULLET - Catching Daniel Craig's Swann song, NO TIME TO DIE

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Can you have an ama girl outside of Japan? I thought that was part of the definition :)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,378
    Primo had a good amount of screen time but he never really *did* anything. Batista at least had a memorable entrance and a terrific fight scene, whereas Primo got his ass beat immediately by Bond twice and couldn’t even keep Madeline locked down. He was a jobber henchman like Vargas.

Plus his eye actually meant they could find Ash... or did it? Did that actually lead anywhere apart from getting Nomi nearby to give Bond a lift?

It was quite odd that Bond beat him in pretty much the same way both times.

Yes, that was a bit odd and not creative enough to have two (almost similar) brief fights with Primo and Bond. Primo is okay but far away from the best and iconic henchmen and I definitely prefer Hinx. He is useless in the car chase in Rome but the train fight is intense in the best possible way and his introduction sticks in mind, too.
    It's crazy how colourless the henchmen are in the Brosnan and Craig era! (Imo, Hinx is solid, Xenia is top and... the rest isn't memorable enough.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it is only really Hinx isn't it? I like his wry smiles in the snow chase, and he is scary in the train fight.
    I quite like Patrice's intense quality but I suppose you can't really call him a henchman as such.
  • Patrice is sort of a henchman, no? He does Silva’s bidding anyway. He just got taken out before we even knew Silva. I found it hilarious how they showed his photo in the Spectre cadre of past villains as if audiences would remember him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    'From double helixes to treble Felixes, Jamaican Ama girls to a Cuban Ana girl, Greek gods and strident tridents on Her Majesty's Secret and Cinematic Service, and a wholly fitting Swann song... The Sunset Bullet that is NO TIME TO DIE is a bravura, bold and brave piece of Bond cinema. Daniel Craig used his time.'
    - Mark O'Connell

SPOILERS!

That was a great read. Nice job.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    - Mark O'Connell

SPOILERS!

That was a hell of a review. So many sharp observations, Tunnels as bookends - yes, that seems to be a fitting image. But the costumes citing the older films? I doubt that was intentional. If anything, it seems that Bond prefers suspenders over belts. This film is a classic already.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, I am printing out Mark's review. It is amazing! So many insights, explanations of symbolism, tone, references beyond references. Wonderful, brilliant review. I don't think he has posted it here yet. TONS OF SPOILERS! Please do NOT read it unless you have seen NTTD. If you have, go savor Mark's review because it is more than just a review, trust me.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    - Mark O'Connell

SPOILERS!

Top Job, a bravura read, indeed Daniel Craig used his time, thank you.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,727
    I haven't posted on here for ages (I started on this board long before the whole marriage, kids & mortgage - a point to which I will refer to, as did @Univex, I believe...), but here goes as I finally got a trip to the cinema into my schedule last Sunday:

NTTD - screening in Laser 4K Ultra

The rather jumpy black dots seguing into the gunbarrel and then onto a sheet of white snow for the PTS make it very clear - this is not going to be another SkyFall or even another Spectre. We are getting a traditionalist's 007 adventure, or so we are to believe...

Well, despite the fairly old-school structure and final confrontation, it... isn't.
    Therefore I'll go straight ahead and say it - I don't particularly like NTTD, and went away wanting more. More 'Bond', and less ' 'The Dark Knight Rises'... more Ian Fleming and less Greek tragedy.

NTTD made me believe in the real 007 again for about an hour (only to cruelly tear it away from me in the latter stages of the film - SPECTRE, anyone..?) - though through no fault of Daniel Craig himself - the man is class and saved this film for me. He completely delivers on the promise he showed in Casino Royale and does his interpretation of the character utter justice.

It is the writers who continually manage to shoot themselves in the foot by trying to turn James Bond into something he cannot be and was never designed to be...

Craig is not to blame for the fact that 007 and Maddy Swann have absolutely nothing going on on screen - they are in dire need of some of that chemistry out of the secret MI6 bioweapon facility that was so cooly infiltrated early on.

But, hold on - it isn't a bad film. Not at all.

What immediately struck me here is the Direction - it's a complete 360° from the two Mendes' films - Fukunaga's direction is vibrant, uncomplicated, colourful almost to a fault - and doesn't linger about. Fukunaga himself lists CR and OHMSS as his two main inspirations for this, and it shows - in a good way.

NTTD feels and looks dynamic - which after the auteurish-bondfilms of Sam 'hold that shot' Mendes; where I often felt the director was more concerned with framing than storytelling, feels fresh and is quite honestly a relief.

CJF knows how to build a Bond film, and how to deliver crisp and energetic action sequences. He doesn't force stylistic elements that don't work for 007 - he heightens reality, and it is in EXACTLY this heightened reality where James Bond should exist.

The tone of the film is haphazard but manages to hold together thanks to CJF's skill - it's blatantly obvious that there were several writers involved - some of which know NOTHING about Ian Fleming's James Bond.
    There is a scene in which 007 mocks M in his office that very nearly made me dismiss the whole thing as utter garbage - Bond's relationship with M is so far off the source material that it makes you wonder if Babs proof read the script at all (I maintain my less than popular opinion that Barbara Broccoli is not fit to be calling the creative shots in the Bond series, she is a business woman, not a filmmaker...)

Furthermore I'm not in the camp that thinks Phoebe Waller-Bridgerton is the next coming, and find her less than subtle writing a bit too in your face - this shows in NTTD as we are routinely force-fed the notion that Bond is past it and no longer relevant because he is a middle-aged white male who likes to sleep with women and doesn't wear make up or paint his toenails. For Christian Bale's sake...

The first three-quarters of an hour fly by and really show off what this well-oiled EoN crew is capable of - it has been said plenty but bears repeating: Daniel Craig puts his soul and very best work into this film - he is magnificent and tops even Dalton in the acting stakes, to my mind at least.

The supporting cast is excellent and makes the whole thing feel 'large' and alive - something I sorely missed since Casino Royale. Ana de Armas and Ralph Fiennes in particular bring their A-game and lift the film at key moments giving it both gravitas and lightheartedness when needed.

The score is mostly a triumph, although someone does need to point out to Hans Zimmer that the classic Bond-theme is a CULMINATION cue - not something to be used in every 2nd scene whilst driving along or buttoning up one's suit jacket. But still, he breathes life into the film in a way only Arnold and Barry have done before him.

There is a discinct lull after the 2nd act and the film does plod a little by the 2h.15m mark, but this is a minor gripe that could be directed at many other Bond outings.

One thing I still don't care for is the (always forced) ever-present melodrama that Babs & EoN insist in giving Craig's 007 universe - as Univex pointed out - I don't particularly want to see Bond on fatherhood duty as I have plenty of that going on in my own, distinctly non-cinematic, life as it is, thanks v much.

Whichever way you look at it - this was always the most likely way that Craig's 007 arc was going to end.
    And whether or not it was the Bond film that I or you, the fans, wanted or not - that is up for serious debate. But it was the Bond film that Daniel Craig's tenure needed...

• edited October 2021 Posts: 6,665
    Thank you, thank you @AceHole, for writing exactly what I felt. Your review is spot on, on all accounts. There isn't a single point I don't agree with and reading it, I felt as if I had written it myself.

I'll just reiterate these passages, which I found to be wonderfully put:

"NTTD made me believe in the real 007 again for about an hour (only to cruelly tear it away from me in the latter stages of the film - SPECTRE, anyone..?) - though through no fault of Daniel Craig himself - the man is class and saved this film for me. He completely delivers on the promise he showed in Casino Royale and does his interpretation of the character utter justice"

"One thing I still don't care for is the (always forced) ever-present melodrama that Babs & EoN insist in giving Craig's 007 universe. I don't particularly want to see Bond on fatherhood duty as I have plenty of that going on in my own, distinctly non-cinematic, life as it is, thanks v much"

"Whichever way you look at it - this was always the most likely way that Craig's 007 arc was going to end.
    And whether or not it was the Bond film that I or you, the fans, wanted or not - that is up for serious debate. But it was the Bond film that Daniel Craig's tenure needed..."

My friend, @AceHole, it's good to see you again in the forums, it really is. Thank you for your wonderful, honest, faithful and just review.

Cheers

PS: The principal thing to do for Bond26 is to get new and apt writers who have a full understanding of Ian Fleming's James Bond, IMO. Not doing this is the equivalent of shooting the proverbial foot again and again, until there is no foot to shoot upon.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @AceHole brilliant review mate. You've put my thoughts into words better than I have so far.

I still don't have any fondness for the ending and I feel conflicted with it, and I don't want to write a full review yet with it clouding my judgement.

The first third of NTTD is so good and exactly what I wanted, Bond a ruthless killer, wounded animal and struggling with retirement. NTTD is worth watching just because of Daniel's fantastic performance, especially in the first half.

You nailed it on the M scenes by the way, nearly every review I've read or heard, praised it and I really hate it. I thought I was alone in that to be honest, but I could never picture Bond being so rude and childish to M. I didn't think the jokes nor the delivery of them worked personally
    That was a very good read @AceHole. I found myself nodding along in total agreement over some of your finer points, especially about the final third of the movie.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I disagree about the M scenes, because Mallory is not the M of previous iterations, and because Bond has been retired for five years he does not necessarily have the same reverential relationship that Bond does with Bernard Lee or Judi Dench. That paternal quality is also not there because they’re much closer in age. If this M had been more similar to Lee’s or Dench’s and that Craig had as long a history with them, I would agree it’s out of character for Bond to call out M so freely and with a measure of contempt.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    You nailed it on the M scenes by the way, nearly every review I've read or heard, praised it and I really hate it. I thought I was alone in that to be honest, but I could never picture Bond being so rude and childish to M. I didn't think the jokes nor the delivery of them worked personally

Oh I liked that scene: I liked the idea that as he was no longer working for SIS we had a totally new dynamic between the two of them- we've never seen Bond and M talking outside of the structure of respect for rank and M's status as his boss, and Bond was being totally frank as a result.
    What I wasn't keen on was M being such a fool to commission that weapon, and it was out of step with what we knew about Mallory from the previous films. Much less keen on that.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Oh I liked that scene: I liked the idea that as he was no longer working for SIS we had a totally new dynamic between the two of them- we've never seen Bond and M talking outside of the structure of respect for rank and M's status as his boss, and Bond was being totally frank as a result.
    What I wasn't keen on was M being such a fool to commission that weapon, and it was out of step with what we knew about Mallory from the previous films. Much less keen on that.

I agree with this. As much as I love the film, M's involvement in the first place seems out of character for Mallory. We could have done with a bit more insight I thought. Otherwise I liked the taste of the casual M/Bond dynamic and it got a good laugh at the cinema.