NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    ertert wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @ertert

Please avoid double, triple, ... posting by using the edit button. (Move the cursor to the upper right corner and click the wheel when it appears.) Thank you.

Got it Sorry!

Thanks, friend! :-)
    Where does Craig's Bond go after the end of NTTD?

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    CraterGuns wrote: »

This is so, so, so good... I could watch three hours of it.

And it even has a @barryt007 tribute at 1:07.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

This was fantastic.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    He really was the shortest Bond...
    In NTTD, did Bond have a fling with Valdo Obruchev? Because when Nomi asks where's Obruchev, Bond says Valdo left him for somebody else, as if their relationship had ended. And earlier, as they are getting on the plane in Cuba, Bond playfully slaps Valdo on the bum, which suggests a growing physical attraction. Then, Bond says they're going somewhere safe. Maybe they went to a hotel to spend some private time together before arriving on Felix's boat?

A follow up question: In NTTD, did Bond have a fling with Q? Because Q is likely gay, seeing as he was expecting a male companion for dinner, and wanted to look his best for him. And M says he knows Bond has been staying with Q. If Bond is gay, and Q is gay, and they stayed together... well, maybe.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mattjoes wrote: »
    In NTTD, did Bond have a fling with Valdo Obruchev? Because when Nomi asks where's Obruchev, Bond says Valdo left him for somebody else, as if their relationship had ended. And earlier, as they are getting on the plane in Cuba, Bond playfully slaps Valdo on the bum, which suggests a growing physical attraction. Then, Bond says they're going somewhere safe. Maybe they went to a hotel to spend some private time together before arriving on Felix's boat?

A follow up question: In NTTD, did Bond have a fling with Q? Because Q is likely gay, seeing as he was expecting a male companion for dinner, and wanted to look his best for him. And M says he knows Bond has been staying with Q. If Bond is gay, and Q is gay, and they stayed together... well, maybe.

Now that you point it out, it all seems pretty obvious. That s what you get for having women involved as producers and scriptwriters, I suppose. Plus an actor with a Napoleon complex, and a director who is more engaged with video games and little girls than doing his job. Now I do hope these cut scenes make it to the 60th anniversary special edition.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Now that you point it out, it all seems pretty obvious. That s what you get for having women involved as producers and scriptwriters, I suppose. Plus an actor with a Napoleon complex, and a director who is more engaged with video games and little girls than doing his job. Now I do hope these cut scenes make it to the 60th anniversary special edition.

I see things so clearly now! Whoa.... 😂
  • CraterGuns wrote: »

I don’t know that I've repeatedly laughed that hard at a video in a long, long time.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Like Dickens.
  • Yes, except without a moral.
  • donnydracodonnydraco America
    007HallY wrote: »
    Like I hinted at before, I do think the idea of a weedy little villain who would not otherwise be a threat to the hero was done better in The Batman. You actually sort of get where Riddler is coming from. The film goes to great lengths to show how corrupt Gotham is/the uncomfortable similarities between Batman and Riddler's vigilantism. Of course, at the end of the film Batman decides to do the 'right thing', shift his priorities from anger/vengeance and ultimately protect the innocent.

There was potential to do that with Safin and Bond in NTTD. Both men have had their lives ruined by SPECTRE in some way. Both have even gone 'rouge' at various points to accomplish what they need to. Again, change the climax and you have something less straightforward and in the mould of 'Bond has to save the day'. Bond instead chooses to try and stop Safin because he could kill innocent people. It would have made the ending more meaningful.

I concur. It's so strange that, with their 25th film, the creative team finally had the opportunity to present us with the first truly sympathetic villain of the franchise, but instead opted to retreat back into megalomania-cliches. This is the sort of cold-feet cowardice emblematic of the Brosnan-era; I expected better from the thematically-rich and courageous Craig run. (For a glimpse into what-could-have-been, note the trace of pity Bond extends to Safin in the early part of their first exchange. He doesn't want to hate this man; rather, it's almost as if he's trying to talk the poor loon out of whatever he's plotting.)

In a sense, I wish NTTD had been a mere "bad" movie, like its predecessor SPECTRE. But it's worse: half-parts brilliance, half-parts bungled. The elegant direction and finely-tuned performances are trapped alongside a needlessly convoluted narrative, warring tonalities, and videogame-styled bombast. It's impossible for me to reconcile the good with the bad.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Wasn't LeChiffre a weedy little villain? At any rate, he felt different than most.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

All I can say is thank you so much for posting this @CraterGuns. I'm going to share this at work first thing on Monday!!!!! ^:)^
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    From the clip, a British buddy cop film starring Dalton & Craig would be entertaining. Maybe directed by Edgar Wright or Danny Boyle.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 6,718
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    From the clip, a British buddy cop film starring Dalton & Craig would be entertaining. Maybe directed by Edgar Wright or Danny Boyle.

They could even call it Dalton & Craig, as the phrase sounds so catchy. Timothy Dalton would play Detective Sergeant Peter Craig, and Daniel Craig would play Detective Sergeant David Dalton, often referred to as DeeDee, a nickname he doesn't care for.

Tagline: They will have to develop a bond if they ever hope to catch the bad guys!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »

They could even call it Dalton & Craig, as the phrase sounds so catchy. Timothy Dalton would play Detective Sergeant Peter Craig, and Daniel Craig would play Detective Sergeant David Dalton, often referred to as DeeDee, a nickname he doesn't care for.

Tagline: They will have to develop a bond if they ever hope to catch the bad guys!

Hahaha. Great! I really think the film would be a hit.
  • redherringredherring Netherlands
    edited August 2022 Posts: 15
    Wish they hadn't used We Have All the Time in the World during the credits. It was the perfect ending of course, but now I can't enjoy the song without feeling melancholy.

Watching The Hero die and leave behind a fatherless family felt like a slap in the face and the print it left has only just stopped stinging.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Hmm. Wouldn't the opposite be true.

OHMSS ends in outright tragedy. NTTD ends in triumph with Bond protecting the ones he loves. If anything the film reclaims it as a love song.

• redherringredherring Netherlands
    edited October 2022 Posts: 15

OHMSS ends in outright tragedy. NTTD ends in triumph with Bond protecting the ones he loves. If anything the film reclaims it as a love song.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

That depends on whether you feel it wasn't still a love song after OHMSS. It never lost that vibe for me. I found it's use in NTTD far more melancholic than in OHMSS, as I'm more attached to Bond than I am to Tracey as a character.

An interesting idea, but it just didn't really work for me.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

That depends on whether you feel it wasn't still a love song after OHMSS. It never lost that vibe for me. I found it's use in NTTD far more melancholic than in OHMSS, as I'm more attached to Bond than I am to Tracey as a character.

An interesting idea, but it just didn't really work for me.

It's still a love song to me in both cases. Specific to Bond, I'm seeing him as having an unusually long career as a 00. Then 5 years after retirement he's caught up in events where he's shown a sliver of family experience and something that will endure, something he might never have had at all. To a glorious end in sacrifice to loved ones.

Also very Flemingesque to me. Retirement would equate to the boredom of the office MI6, and the death watch beetle of the soul comments. That's not what Bond aspired to in the books or films. So he overcame that as well.

• edited August 2022 Posts: 3,279
    redherring wrote: »
    Wish they hadn't used We Have All the Time in the World during the credits. It was the perfect ending of course, but now I can't enjoy the song without feeling melancholy.

Watching The Hero die and leave behind a fatherless family felt like a slap in the face and the print it left has only just stopped stinging.

The one thing I would not describe NTTD having is the perfect ending. Far from it.

As for the use of the song, that felt more like a slap in the face. How dare they tie in a Bond classic like OHMSS and lump it with this trash. Even the phrase - WHATTITW, should only be applied to that one film.

Again, retconning it, trying to attach that meaning from when Bond says it to Tracey should have stayed there. It didn't belong anywhere else, other than in reference to Tracey. Trying to give it a new meaning with this garbage was just wrong, and symbolic of everything that went wrong in the Craig era. I know it was well intentioned, but it didn't work (for me, anyway).
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters

The one thing I would not describe NTTD having is the perfect ending. Far from it.

As for the use of the song, that felt more like a slap in the face. How dare they tie in a Bond classic like OHMSS and lump it with this trash. Even the phrase - WHATTITW, should only be applied to that one film.

Again, retconning it, trying to attach that meaning from when Bond says it to Tracey should have stayed there. It didn't belong anywhere else, other than in reference to Tracey. Trying to give it a new meaning with this garbage was just wrong, and symbolic of everything that went wrong in the Craig era. I know it was well intentioned, but it didn't work (for me, anyway).

True, the same for me, it's unearned and undeserved, like what I've said, I didn't even bought the Bond-Madeleine relationship.
    Wished they just crafted a new theme for them, not reusing a theme from another relationship.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

You don't say.
    echo wrote: »

You don't say.

In the words of Stan Laurel - `I certainly do'.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    echo wrote: »

You don't say.

In the words of Stan Laurel - `I certainly do'.

Yes.....
    Random thought about NTTD's ending / the Craig arc: it probably would have looked awkward with the way things end up playing out as they do, but for a really interesting full circle theme, I would have found it really cool if they found a way to make the ending of NTTD all black-and-white a la CR's PTS.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    They probably could have made the small memorial scene and Madeleine driving black and white. Could have been cool.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Rather than Madeleine speaking the famous line, the easiest way to come full circle at the end of NTTD would've been for Mathilde to ask what the man's name was and Madeleine to reply 'You know his name...'.