NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,928
    I took it as a moment where Bond considered letting himself with Madeline get killed. At that moment he’s at his lowest, and it’s only when he looks into her eyes as she’s appealing to him that he decides to spare themselves but cut her off as soon as they’re safe.
    Yes, that's how I saw it too. Thinking about it, Madeleine was lucky she knew an older Bond - he tried to kill Vesper himself when he thought she'd played him.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I thought the same @MakeshiftPython and @Venutius .... And Venutius: he was also ready to put a bullet into Camille's head so she wouldn't suffer an agonizing death, being eaten by fire as almost happened when she was a child....(!)
    Good posts, and I agree. There are some very “real” moments, so to speak, with Craig’s era we hadn’t seen anything like before. Not doing anything in the car in NTTD and about to mercy kill Camille in QOS are big ones.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Venutius wrote: »
    I took it as a moment where Bond considered letting himself with Madeline get killed. At that moment he’s at his lowest, and it’s only when he looks into her eyes as she’s appealing to him that he decides to spare themselves but cut her off as soon as they’re safe.
    Yes, that's how I saw it too. Thinking about it, Madeleine was lucky she knew an older Bond - he tried to kill Vesper himself when he thought she'd played him.

How do you figure that? Because he said "Allow me"?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

That's how I interpreted it. Unless he meant that for Gettler.

That's how I interpreted it. Unless he meant that for Gettler.

I think he was talking about Vesper, but to me that's a lot different than actually trying to kill her. He tried to save her from drowning in the elevator. I think to say Bond actually tried to kill Vesper in Venice is a bit of a stretch.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    He was just kinda sarcastic and very angry.
    Heat of the moment for sure.
    Yes yes and yes.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited November 2021 Posts: 8,025
    I always interpreted that he wanted to kill Vesper in the heat of the moment, but he probably wouldn’t go through with it when he has her in his sights because he still loves her. It’s the same thing with Madeleine. He was ready to let her die with him in the car, but that part of him that still loves her made him reconsider. That’s why he says he never stopped loving her, and it’s the same with Vesper as we see at the grave site.
    Totally.
    I think to say Bond actually tried to kill Vesper in Venice is a bit of a stretch.
    Oh, I dunno.
    Gettler: 'I'll kill her!'
    Bond: 'Allow me.' And he starts to come out from behind the column in order to shoot, but Gettler's henchman shoots at Bond first, so he can't get a shot off. That's pretty unambiguous, I'd've thought, no? Like MakeshiftPython said, it's a heat-of-the-moment reaction and not something he wanted to do even five minutes later when, like you say, he's actually trying to save her. As with Madeleine when he gets back to the hotel in Matera - his blood's up, he's angry. He's not reasoning things through, he's reverted to his instincts. Other interpretations are available, though, obvs! ;)
    I think to say Bond actually tried to kill Vesper in Venice is a bit of a stretch.
    Oh, I dunno.
    Bond: 'Allow me.' And he starts to come out from behind the column in order to shoot, but Gettler's henchman shoots at Bond first, so he can't get a shot off. That's pretty unambiguous, I'd've thought, no? Like MakeshiftPython said, it's a heat-of-the-moment reaction and not something he wanted to do even five minutes later when, like you say, he's actually trying to save her. As with Madeleine when he gets back to the hotel in Matera - his blood's up, he's angry. He's not reasoning things through, he's reverted to his instincts. Other interpretations are available, though, obvs! ;)

The thing is would Bond have actually gone through with it? If he looked her in the eyes while holding up his gun would he have taken the shot? I doubt it, but we never get that moment so it’s left to interpretation.

Interestingly, we do get such a moment with Silva when he’s about to kill M, and he couldn’t do it!
    Oh, I dunno.

The thing is would Bond have actually gone through with it? If he looked her in the eyes while holding up his gun would he have taken the shot? I doubt it, but we never get that moment so it’s left to interpretation.

Interestingly, we do get such a moment with Silva when he’s about to kill M, and he couldn’t do it!

Agreed. Different interpretations!
    It's funny, but remember in QOS, there is that moment when Bond and Camille are trapped into the fire, and Bond gets his gun, and for a while he considers killing her then him.
    It looks to me that the thematics of NTTD were there from the get go.
    Goes way back to the novels when he plans how to drown himself and Solitaire in LALD
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Stamper wrote: »
    It's funny, but remember in QOS, there is that moment when Bond and Camille are trapped into the fire, and Bond gets his gun, and for a while he considers killing her then him.
    It looks to me that the thematics of NTTD were there from the get go.

I *LOVED* that in QOS!! That moment of resignation, then back to defiance in the face of no real chance! Then he MADE his chance!
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom

He decides it’s no time to die
    Stamper wrote: »
    Yes, brilliant. 'Not this way, not this way' - 'Close your eyes...' Excellent.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2021 Posts: 5,979
    Double post. Sorry.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2021 Posts: 5,979
    This might also be why he wrote "Forgive me" in NTTD. Because he did try to kill Vesper.

I love the OHMSS callback to the gunshots on the DB5 most of all.

echo wrote: »
    This might also be why he wrote "Forgive me" in NTTD. Because he did try to kill Vesper.

I think part of why he asked for forgiveness from her was also because it took a long time for him to forgive her. Remember in QOS, Mathis implored him to forgive her AND forgive himself for staying angry at her.
  • retrovertigoretrovertigo Australia
    edited November 2021 Posts: 11
    Don't forget that in the Aston DB5 window shooting scene, one of the first shots that Primo takes is directly at Madeline. I'm pretty sure Bond sees this.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Not the first time Bond has had a daughter, remember. I prefer Mata. Probably my favorite bit in the film. Come to think of it, Bond dies in this one as well.

In QOS, I thought Mathis wanted Bond to forgive himself for not being able to save Vesper. In NTTD, I thought Bond wanted Vesper to forgive him for finally loving someone else. I like to see all these other interpretations, though - it's good to look at things from different angles and consider stuff that hadn't occurred to you.
    So, in movie time, Craig's Bond has spent a total of about seven months with these two women over a span of 15 years, yet they dominate the narrative of four of his five entries. He certainly becomes far more attached than the other five guys did.
    Yeah, but one of em looked like Eva Green, so...😉
    Birdleson wrote: »
    So, in movie time, Craig's Bond has spent a total of about seven months with these two women over a span of 15 years, yet they dominate the narrative of four of his five entries. He certainly becomes far more attached than the other five guys did.

To be fair, Fleming’s Bond was visiting Vesper’s grave annually. 10 years after the first novel.

Get over it, pal!

And to be fair, I believe Vesper is mention twice by Fleming post CR. Never more than a side note.
    That was directed at Fleming’s Bond to get over Vesper. Not you. :P