NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• 9IW9IW
    JamesK wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    My Daughter, who is a moderate Bond fan and knew nothing about the plot or outcome, left the theater in tears and said,”I didn’t sign up for this”. Lol, but she loved it.

My wife is in the same boat, and didn't speak for a few minutes after the movie; but loved it.

My wife was part of the 'that was terrible' crowd. But her favorite Craig film is Spectre. Just proves these movies appeal to a wide variety of people in a variety of ways.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    RC7 wrote: »
    I love the fact Bond took a hailstorm of missiles to the face, yet there are still fans suggesting he’s alive. I would say I’m surprised but it seems symptomatic of today’s society where a fair portion seem incapable of accepting reality.
    I’m not surprised members of the public are confused Bond ‘died’ but will return.

As Peter Sellers once said "Bain't no use argufying with 'Ee"
  • RC7RC7
    Seve wrote: »
    I love the fact Bond took a hailstorm of missiles to the face, yet there are still fans suggesting he’s alive. I would say I’m surprised but it seems symptomatic of today’s society where a fair portion seem incapable of accepting reality.
    I’m not surprised members of the public are confused Bond ‘died’ but will return.

As Peter Sellers once said "Bain't no use argufying with 'Ee"

The first point is in reference to ‘fans’ (who should know better). The second, ‘members of the public’. Quite clear. Can we move on before I die of boredom?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My lifelong friend who's pretty detached from Bond but enjoys the Craig era saw the film on Saturday and cried his eyes out, as well, said it was a perfect film and has kickstarted his love of film yet again. I was very happy to hear that!

As for me, I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to see what my local theater's plans are, but I'll either be seeing it for the second time (finally) this Wednesday, if they're planning to yank the film already, or on Saturday. I can't wait.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Univex wrote: »
    No Time To Die needs to be seen more than once..

What an interesting experience that I've had with this film; my first viewing left me flat and I left the theater not knowing how I felt.
    Last night I had my second viewing ( IMAX) and it was a completely different experience; I loved it. It is a great way to end Craig's run as 007.

Now, with that said, I do have some major problems with a few things and it's critics are not off the mark , specifically the sequence with Blofeld, and the muddy, underdevelopment of the main Villain, Safin. His plot and motivations are very weak and this detracts from the power of the finale.

No Time to Die is beautifully directed: I would love to see what Cary Fukunaga could do with a clean slate.

I haven’t seen it a second time, but I feel like this mirrors how I would feel. I was pretty mixed/negative on the film the first time (I loved it entirely up until Bond got back to London) but stewing on it in the week since I’ve seen it it’s been growing in appreciation in my mind. I still take issue with the same stuff that bothered me in the theater, like you mainly the Blofeld stuff and Safin’s underdevelopment, but I think I let that cloud my enjoyment of all the terrific stuff that runs all the way through the film. I think I’ll be much more favorable to it on a rewatch.

I agree, Up until Bond's return to London, it was close to perfection; from that point on the weakness of Safin's overall development, including his plot, detract from a beautifully directed and photographed film

AS of now, this sums up perfectly my views on the film. And I think it will stick. I just need to watch it again. Any news on when the blu ray will be available? (as my local cinema sucks)

My cinema does too. Looking forward to seeing the film again properly. On Bluray.

Reading all the divided comments on here I'm still not sure how I feel about the film. But time will tell.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I ask again, apparently pointlessly, why do you guys care so much about what other people think? Why do you guys get so caught up in the semantics of each other’ posts. I come in here and relate my views of the movie, I have no desire or need to focus on what other people are saying except read it and go “hum”. I feel no need to respond to someone that comes to a conclusion other than mine except maybe to say that’s interesting. There’s no need to get angry or sad or accusatory about somebody who looks at this differently than you do. I don’t even get the enjoyment in that. This wanting to try to analyze why people like or don’t like some thing, either as individuals or as a group, when no one really has a clue. It’s meaningless. But I’ve said it too many times. There really should be a threat just for people that are like that, they are malcontent, and like to argue, and tear down what other people have to say. Then the rest of us could just breeze through these threads easily without having to trudge through a conflict between two, three or four people.

If only it was so easy for others! I feel like people need to come to a consensus. Either the film is 'good' or it's 'bad'. And when there is very strong opposing viewpoints, it becomes a tug of war in the forums.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

What an interesting experience that I've had with this film; my first viewing left me flat and I left the theater not knowing how I felt.
    Last night I had my second viewing ( IMAX) and it was a completely different experience; I loved it. It is a great way to end Craig's run as 007.

Now, with that said, I do have some major problems with a few things and it's critics are not off the mark , specifically the sequence with Blofeld, and the muddy, underdevelopment of the main Villain, Safin. His plot and motivations are very weak and this detracts from the power of the finale.

No Time to Die is beautifully directed: I would love to see what Cary Fukunaga could do with a clean slate.

Nice to read this, @talos7 . I want Cary to direct the next one, too. Because he sure did so beautifully with NTTD and (which is key) because he is versatile, likes to stretch himself and take on challenges, and I think he could do a fine job bringing in a new 007 and not copying the overall tone of the Craig era.
  • RC7RC7

Nice to read this, @talos7 . I want Cary to direct the next one, too. Because he sure did so beautifully with NTTD and (which is key) because he is versatile, likes to stretch himself and take on challenges, and I think he could do a fine job bringing in a new 007 and not copying the overall tone of the Craig era.

I feel like he pulled off an amazing balancing act. Parts of the film sit uniquely in the canon, whilst others feel like old school Bond. But it works.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

I feel like he pulled off an amazing balancing act. Parts of the film sit uniquely in the canon, whilst others feel like old school Bond. But it works.

For this movie to contain both the Norway "home" scenes as well as repeated references to hacking a bionic eyeball, and having it hang together so well... It's truly something. I hope to see Cary on the next film.
    I think one thing that helped me during my very first viewing, was that I instinctively reacted to hearing Bond say very early on to Madeleine, "We have all the time in the world". Hit me over the head like lightning, and I actually said out loud (softly): "Oh sh`t"- because I felt right then that I knew either Bond or Madeleine would die at the end of this movie. And I could not see EON having Madeleine die, not after what Bond went through with Vesper. It took me several minutes to force myself back into focusing entirely on what was happening on the screen. So the rest of the foreshadowing, including Felix's death ... were all so touching to me, but helped prepare me for that ending. Even on first viewing, I felt that this was a fitting, and noble end for this Bond and that they chose the right actor's story arc to do that. And that it never needed to be done again. I really value NTTD. But I was stunned and sad the first time I got through it, even though appreciating the story they gave us at the same time.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,554
    JamesK wrote: »
    My Daughter, who is a moderate Bond fan and knew nothing about the plot or outcome, left the theater in tears and said,”I didn’t sign up for this”. Lol, but she loved it.

My wife is in the same boat, and didn't speak for a few minutes after the movie; but loved it.

FWIW: my wife loved this film more than Craig's others.

Someone in this thread mentioned the influence of PWB; I would guess that her writing had something to do with my wife liking this film so much. But that little speech Bond gave, when he sees Madeleine again, back home, was what really got her--it was the romantic in her. Yes, it was corny and all, but HZ and PWB and DC and CJF all got that moment right. It was powerful cinema.

For this movie to contain both the Norway "home" scenes as well as repeated references to hacking a bionic eyeball, and having it hang together so well... It's truly something. I hope to see Cary on the next film.

Yes, to both of your points. I think the balance in the film is spot on and we do have an inkling of how hard that is to do. I personally enjoy all the nods and symbolism, etc. (that is now my most enjoyable thread here).
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I ask again, apparently pointlessly, why do you guys care so much about what other people think? Why do you guys get so caught up in the semantics of each other’ posts. I come in here and relate my views of the movie, I have no desire or need to focus on what other people are saying except read it and go “hum”. I feel no need to respond to someone that comes to a conclusion other than mine except maybe to say that’s interesting. There’s no need to get angry or sad or accusatory about somebody who looks at this differently than you do. I don’t even get the enjoyment in that. This wanting to try to analyze why people like or don’t like some thing, either as individuals or as a group, when no one really has a clue. It’s meaningless. But I’ve said it too many times. There really should be a threat just for people that are like that, they are malcontent, and like to argue, and tear down what other people have to say. Then the rest of us could just breeze through these threads easily without having to trudge through a conflict between two, three or four people.
    I agree with you. I hum along here trying to get everybody else's perspectives and views, often they may give me a glimpse of something I had not thought of. But I can do without the near constant tit for tat arguing, seeming to try to convince others to change their mind by slamming on and on about how they are right and others just do not "see the light" the way they should and have misinterpreted their own words.

Now, about that "threat" you want to give to those who argue in a mean way back and forth too much ... that's interesting! I say create a separate thread just for them, like you mentioned, and give the mods the magical power to whoosh them over into it like a vacuum. There they could go back on and forth like an endless ping pong match and the rest of us could enjoy reading everything else. Only those types of chat go there. Whoosh! B-) Unless you meant something like forcing them to watch Dr No, TMWTGG, OHMSS, YOLT, DAD, Spectre and NTTD on an endless loop. Just curious what kind of other "threat" you had in mind. ;) :)>-
  • BenjaminBenjamin usa
    I think one thing that helped me during my very first viewing, was that I instinctively reacted to hearing Bond say very early on to Madeleine, "We have all the time in the world". Hit me over the head like lightning, and I actually said out loud (softly): "Oh sh`t"- because I felt right then that I knew either Bond or Madeleine would die at the end of this movie. And I could not see EON having Madeleine die, not after what Bond went through with Vesper....

Yeah, I had a similar moment. The music really added to that moment too.
  • RC7RC7
    I think one thing that helped me during my very first viewing, was that I instinctively reacted to hearing Bond say very early on to Madeleine, "We have all the time in the world". Hit me over the head like lightning, and I actually said out loud (softly): "Oh sh`t"- because I felt right then that I knew either Bond or Madeleine would die at the end of this movie. And I could not see EON having Madeleine die, not after what Bond went through with Vesper. It took me several minutes to force myself back into focusing entirely on what was happening on the screen. So the rest of the foreshadowing, including Felix's death ... were all so touching to me, but helped prepare me for that ending. Even on first viewing, I felt that this was a fitting, and noble end for this Bond and that they chose the right actor's story arc to do that. And that it never needed to be done again. I really value NTTD. But I was stunned and sad the first time I got through it, even though appreciating the story they gave us at the same time.

My friend (film fan/not hardcore Bond) had the same reaction. He said he was annoyed they used WHATTITW because when Madeleine survived the PTS he knew Bond would be a goner.
    Yes, and that helped me. I hope your friend could get past the annoyance. I think for plenty of people it takes a second viewing to at least get to that point.
    Univex wrote: »

I haven’t seen it a second time, but I feel like this mirrors how I would feel. I was pretty mixed/negative on the film the first time (I loved it entirely up until Bond got back to London) but stewing on it in the week since I’ve seen it it’s been growing in appreciation in my mind. I still take issue with the same stuff that bothered me in the theater, like you mainly the Blofeld stuff and Safin’s underdevelopment, but I think I let that cloud my enjoyment of all the terrific stuff that runs all the way through the film. I think I’ll be much more favorable to it on a rewatch.

I agree, Up until Bond's return to London, it was close to perfection; from that point on the weakness of Safin's overall development, including his plot, detract from a beautifully directed and photographed film

AS of now, this sums up perfectly my views on the film. And I think it will stick. I just need to watch it again. Any news on when the blu ray will be available? (as my local cinema sucks)

My cinema does too. Looking forward to seeing the film again properly. On Bluray.

Reading all the divided comments on here I'm still not sure how I feel about the film. But time will tell.

Yep, I feel the same way.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 7,500

I am gonna play devil's advocate here: The "ideal" site you are describing honestly sounds... quite boring. This is a community of passionate people with different viewpoints on everything Bond. I agree we shouldn't be rude or mean to each other, but as long as the discussion remains civil, I welcome passionate and slightly heated arguments or disagreements. Controversial opinions that are not responded to or simply answered with "hum, interesting" is not my definition of a thriving community.

I would rather have hefty, passionate debates that risk occationaly getting out of hand than a community were people awoid any kind of disagreement at all...
    I want all viewpoints expressed, criticize any film, applaud our own favorite bits, all of that. Just the extra step of tit for tat, petty arguing, and trying to convince others using words that are a bit extreme or goading; that I can do without. But full discussions otherwise, yes. I am here because I get different info from others and that is sometimes very helpful and fun for me.

Passionate debates, in extreme, are not for me, no. Civil debates, without the anger and bruhaha of stamping one's opinion over others because there supposedly is only one "right" way to interpret or feel about a Bond film .. without that crap, yes.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 7,500
    Double post
  • Birdleson wrote: »

How dare you not see things exactly the way I see them? ;)
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,564
    It's an argument. No it isn't.

Oh, and BTW: that was Q up there arguing. No it wasn't; it was R.
  • JamesKJamesK Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 35
    @Birdleson I didn't see a lot of abusive responses to my initial longer post on pg. 139 - maybe some were a bit dismissive and sarcastic, but hey - its the internet, and I was wading into a thread that's long without reading every previous post, so the points I made might be old-hat by now. In any event, you've got to expect a certain amount of that when posting on any forum - best thing to do is just ignore it, keep it civil and measured and the vitriol tends to exhaust itself. I'm enjoying being a part of this forum thus far though. Reading through some of the popular threads there's a lot of knowledge. Seems like a good community generally speaking.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    I ask again, apparently pointlessly, why do you guys care so much about what other people think? Why do you guys get so caught up in the semantics of each other’ posts. I come in here and relate my views of the movie, I have no desire or need to focus on what other people are saying except read it and go “hum”. I feel no need to respond to someone that comes to a conclusion other than mine except maybe to say that’s interesting. There’s no need to get angry or sad or accusatory about somebody who looks at this differently than you do. I don’t even get the enjoyment in that. This wanting to try to analyze why people like or don’t like some thing, either as individuals or as a group, when no one really has a clue. It’s meaningless. But I’ve said it too many times. There really should be a thread just for people that are like that, they are malcontent, and like to argue, and tear down what other people have to say. Then the rest of us could just breeze through these threads easily without having to trudge through a conflict between two, three or four people.

Different strokes for different folks

Me, I like a little healthy debate, provided it doesn't get out of hand

Particularly when someone makes a comment like

"...symptomatic of today’s society where a fair portion seem incapable of accepting reality."

To me that's insulting someone who has a different view and makes me feel like coming after them
    jobo wrote: »

I am gonna play devil's advocate here: The "ideal" site you are describing honestly sounds... quite boring. This is a community of passionate people with different viewpoints on everything Bond. I agree we shouldn't be rude or mean to each other, but as long as the discussion remains civil, I welcome passionate and slightly heated arguments or disagreements. Controversial opinions that are not responded to or simply answered with "hum, interesting" is not my definition of a thriving community.

I would rather have hefty, passionate debates that risk occationaly getting out of hand than a community were people awoid any kind of disagreement at all...

Right On The Money

I agree with @Birdleson on this.

Healthy, civil debate is great, encouraged, keep it respectful and fun and passionate within that civil framework. Enjoy your discussions of the film. Analyze away, state what you like or don't like. But without the other bit, where people go too far in many ways. People get upset at tone, goad each other, start pitting fans against each other ... just so many ways discussion gets an angry, hurt, back and forth tit for tat mess. Too easily. I'm all for people saying in detail why they like or don't like a film, and debate on many aspects, but not the annoying attitude that flares up too often here.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Did @Dragonpol leave his review here yet, or still in shock? ;)
    I believe he went in mostly spoiler free, and I find those reviews the most interesting.
    I saw it with @Revelator the other day, and he had no clue as to what was coming. Wwe had a good after film discussion (with his brother and @Some_Kind_Of_Hero ), but I'm still hoping he gets his thoughts up here soon as well.

What was his initial impression? Did he enjoy it?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    "And 'all the time in the world' being a very purposeful piece of dialogue in that opening car ride [with Bond and Madeline] — [it's] also meant a bit to be a red herring. I think for big Bond fans, they're gonna expect a different outcome than what happens.

"So when we were coming up with the ending and we're trying to figure out, 'How big do you make this?' And, Daniel was like, 'I don't want to make a big fanfare about it. I'd rather just it's a fact and then we have Louis' song play at the end.' I'm like, 'Yeah, why not?' Who cares if it's been in another Bond film, let's put it on our credits. It's the right feeling to have there going out. It's bittersweet, it's poignant, but it's epic at the same time."

Fukunaga speaking to the LA Times.
  • RC7RC7
    Seve wrote: »
    I ask again, apparently pointlessly, why do you guys care so much about what other people think? Why do you guys get so caught up in the semantics of each other’ posts. I come in here and relate my views of the movie, I have no desire or need to focus on what other people are saying except read it and go “hum”. I feel no need to respond to someone that comes to a conclusion other than mine except maybe to say that’s interesting. There’s no need to get angry or sad or accusatory about somebody who looks at this differently than you do. I don’t even get the enjoyment in that. This wanting to try to analyze why people like or don’t like some thing, either as individuals or as a group, when no one really has a clue. It’s meaningless. But I’ve said it too many times. There really should be a thread just for people that are like that, they are malcontent, and like to argue, and tear down what other people have to say. Then the rest of us could just breeze through these threads easily without having to trudge through a conflict between two, three or four people.

Different strokes for different folks

Me, I like a little healthy debate, provided it doesn't get out of hand

Particularly when someone makes a comment like

"...symptomatic of today’s society where a fair portion seem incapable of accepting reality."

To me that's insulting someone who has a different view and makes me feel like coming after them

jobo wrote: »

Right On The Money

It was an observation (albeit flippant) on the post-truth world we seem to live in, not a pointed dig at anyone in particular. No need for a fight.
    I saw it with @Revelator the other day, and he had no clue as to what was coming. Wwe had a good after film discussion (with his brother and @Some_Kind_Of_Hero ), but I'm still hoping he gets his thoughts up here soon as well.

What was his initial impression? Did he enjoy it?

That's why I'd like him to get in here, I don't feel comfortable trying to represent his initial impressions in any way.

Fair enough. I'm looking forward to his review, as I know he's a massive Fleming fan like me.