The 007 furniture and interior thread

1235»

Comments

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Shamefully, I've only ever seen the Steve Carell Get Smart film and not the original series, but I recall the doors also being in that.
    Now that I think about it, the secret headquarters hidden behind a door or even more common, an elevator, is probably too much of a spy film cliché, isn't it?
    I have been thinking about whether the opening of the TMWTGG novel - Bond calls to get a meeting with M after having been missing and MI6 has to figure out whether he is the real guy - would be a good PTS for the next Bond actor. Very meta, with all the "we thought you were dead", but I think it could be fun. And I've always loved how that sequence shows the outer shells of the MI6 cover operation. You'd have to change quite a few things, but I still think they could pull that off.
    But I'm veering away from furniture and interior again...

Does anyone know whether the hotel room in Matera in the PTS of NTTD is an actual room with (close to) the original furnishings or completely self-built by the production?
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    edited August 2022 Posts: 534
    Built by production, along with, it seems, like all the others. There's some nice pictures in this AD article. And Tim Browning did this concept art for it timbrowning-6156bbb9281de08.jpg
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    That table is an oddity even in the film it's in, the rest of Quantum goes for the gritty realism tone and then MI6 looks like Starfleet HQ. But it was a small extrapolation of the Microsoft Surface table that was released the same year that history has quite rightly chosen to ignore.

I love the very particular way Bond films date, and how sometimes they pick the wrong piece of technology to back! I remember the YouTube footage of the Surface Table and how futuristic it looked.

Craig-era Bond's old-fashioned gear, and quality, old-school furniture, feels quite true to Fleming. The book Bond likes hanging on to old stuff, has an old car (as does Craig), objects to his faithful old gun being taken off him.
    thedove wrote: »
    One of my fav parts of TB is early in the film when Largo walks through a humanitarian aid office and the SPECTRE meeting space is directly behind a secret door. Course the industrial look and secret doors was used as the opening credits of Get Smart a wonderful spy spoof show of the 60's. As a kid I loved all the secret doors and the theme music!

A great favourite of mine too, hence the username - Get Smart was the gateway drug that led me to Bond, UNCLE and a general appreciation of 1960s style, TV, film and music!
    This needs to be in the next Bond film:

314897208_2388352248009890_2713313586942251296_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=ElP68nJYsLoAX9tzmUg&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=00_AfDjGMgjJFijKE3jjFN-HYv782l1sr4tZdHBE668ZYv3-g&oe=636E9403

314805914_2388352364676545_666505849630938476_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=9lxyWHllWBIAX-Wx4r2&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=00_AfCzx1EXPyQyFGTWdyvOo-aPjvj40zQjvhRh6bU2VAquSw&oe=636F573D
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I could easily see Moore poking around that thing after noticing it while dialoguing with the main villain in his lair... "Now's not the time to be... sheepish..."
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Dolly got optional extras installed, unlike in MR.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    g2nwluxiduc81.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=4f5112f023e3fef3e0aab5916c205428edcbe0c3
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Lol is that how M tells Bond to get killing these days?