The 007 furniture and interior thread

Comments

Revelator wrote: »
    I'm glad to see this thread return. Someone needs to make an Avant-Garde super-cut of the Bond series but with only furniture, no humans.

Imagine all those empty Ken Adam sets. Whoa!
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Revelator wrote: »
    I'm glad to see this thread return. Someone needs to make an Avant-Garde super-cut of the Bond series but with only furniture, no humans.

I'd be all for that too. Your reference to it only featuring furniture and not humans brings to mind the following review of Octopussy and The Living Daylights by Anthony Burgess in The Listener:

"Two stories which, in their fascinated poring on things - guns, techniques, foodstuffs - remind us that it is the mastery of the world things rather than people that gives Fleming his peculiar literary niche."

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with Burgess there, although I would add the coda that Fleming is also a masterful writer of the underwater world too, as Kingsley Amis pointed out. Fleming was indeed a masterfully descriptive writer and that's something I really miss in the work of other authors of genre fiction, such as Agatha Christie who focuses far more on plot and dialogue than descriptive passages. It's also largely missing in most of the work of the Bond continuation authors that followed Kingsley Amis. In fact I'd say the closest equivalence to Fleming is more with writers of literary fiction than the spy fiction genre generally throws up, some notable exceptions aside.

Fleming's qualities as a descriptive writer is actually what I like best with his works. The stories and characters are of course top notch, but the descriptive passages is what separates him from the rest.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Great assessment there, @Dragonpol. You certainly know what you're talking about.

As for this thread, I would've participated sooner but I thought it was a generic thread for everyday furniture, which I can't say I'm keenly interested in.

Haha, maybe I should update the thread name to something like The 007 furniture and interior thread!
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 17,280
    Had a second look through some of the screenshots I took from NTTD, and I think this might be a Kaiser Idell table lamp – maybe the 6556-T. Difficult to tell for sure though.

The Kaiser Idell 6556-T table lamp was designed by Kaiser Idell all the way back in 1931, and has been manufactured by Fritz Hansen since 2010.

IB5FIcS.png
    5702370000882_Kaiser-idell-6556-T-EasyGrey_1.jpg?v=110993123
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 13,013
    Came across this available interior product, Tivoli Audio Model One. Didn't see it mentioned earlier.

Movie locations embellished, I note the bluetooth model available.

ei.png
    IT_Logo_background_WEB.png
    Tivoli Releases James Bond’s Radio from
    “No Time to Die”
    Need to feel a little more like James Bond? Well, I can’t help you with that. But if you want his radio…

The Tivoli Audio Model One is a great gift for 007 fans, as it is styled and seen in James Bond’s spiritual home, GoldenEye, for “No Time To Die” (2021).

The retro-inspired room is a natural home for the classic Tivoli Audio Model One tabletop radio. The AM/FM radio was designed 21-years ago by renowned audio engineer Henry Kloss and has gone on to inspire other models in the Tivoli Audio collection.

The craftsmanship results in a natural replication of sound and is a simple piece of technology. With three knobs and a handmade wood cabinet, this mono speaker delivers the true art form of analog audio.

So you can get the James Bond look!

And for those wanting an upgrade to include Bluetooth, The Model One BT ($199.99) is for you. The design is the same but the technology inside allows for Bluetooth connection.
    g582M1BTCS-o_front-1.jpeg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Got Moneypenny's Stelton Cylinder (it's the 2 litre jug) and the Tivoli radio. Don't think mine has Bluetooth though.
    Nice find on all the furniture guys. I could do with a new lamp.
    Came across this available interior product, Tivoli Audio Model One. Didn't see it mentioned earlier.

Movie locations embellished, I note the bluetooth model available.

ei.png
    IT_Logo_background_WEB.png
    Tivoli Releases James Bond’s Radio from
    “No Time to Die”
    Need to feel a little more like James Bond? Well, I can’t help you with that. But if you want his radio…

The Tivoli Audio Model One is a great gift for 007 fans, as it is styled and seen in James Bond’s spiritual home, GoldenEye, for “No Time To Die” (2021).

The retro-inspired room is a natural home for the classic Tivoli Audio Model One tabletop radio. The AM/FM radio was designed 21-years ago by renowned audio engineer Henry Kloss and has gone on to inspire other models in the Tivoli Audio collection.

The craftsmanship results in a natural replication of sound and is a simple piece of technology. With three knobs and a handmade wood cabinet, this mono speaker delivers the true art form of analog audio.

So you can get the James Bond look!

And for those wanting an upgrade to include Bluetooth, The Model One BT ($199.99) is for you. The design is the same but the technology inside allows for Bluetooth connection.
    g582M1BTCS-o_front-1.jpeg

Good find @RichardTheBruce! From what I've heard of others, this is a quality radio – but expensive. If I was in the market for a radio, this one would be high up on my list.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Got Moneypenny's Stelton Cylinder (it's the 2 litre jug) and the Tivoli radio. Don't think mine has Bluetooth though.
    Nice find on all the furniture guys. I could do with a new lamp.

How is the quality of the jug @QBranch? I'm tempted to get the French press from the same series.
    How is the quality of the jug @QBranch? I'm tempted to get the French press from the same series.
    It's solid and it has the ice lip welded inside the top. I rate it 3 out of 3 jugs!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRru0S44nqMne4zTjNAFKPOpcI4nKAO-3azPssYGqBWDWPNYlUVKxJvmKfs5B8HtQ4LeA&usqp=CAU
    It's solid and it has the ice lip welded inside the top. I rate it 3 out of 3 jugs!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRru0S44nqMne4zTjNAFKPOpcI4nKAO-3azPssYGqBWDWPNYlUVKxJvmKfs5B8HtQ4LeA&usqp=CAU

Haha, that's all the confirmation I need – thanks! :D
    Some older pics of the Stelton jug and Tivoli radio (non Bluetooth model):

51362390128_f6f9cf6375_o.png
    51426235280_9e9903407a_o.png
    51725637141_c7167ea7d7_o.png

I think the only Bond furniture I have is a bathmat, which I bought back around 2010 and didn't even realize it was a Bond prop until maybe last year. Same style and colour as seen in the San Moniquan hotel room, when Roger burns the snake on it with his makeshift flamethrower.

Luckily, I haven't had to reenact that scene. Yet.
    Really cool @QBranch! Funny enough, I've spent time these last couple of days looking at rugs and bathmats, and it did cross my mind trying to find one similar to the one from the San Moniquan hotel room. Imagine it would be very easy to get stains on it though!

Really like the woodwork on the Tivoli radio as well. One of these would be a good fit alongside my vintage audio gear.
    I've managed to keep the bathmat in good condition - it still comes up looking new after washing. I think I might buy another, and retire this one to the collection room.

I, too, love the wood paneling on electronic equipment. It could be fun to make a list of such Bond items that feature this style: Blofeld's voice changer; M's intercom etc.
    I've managed to keep the bathmat in good condition - it still comes up looking new after washing. I think I might buy another, and retire this one to the collection room.

I, too, love the wood paneling on electronic equipment. It could be fun to make a list of such Bond items that feature this style: Blofeld's voice changer; M's intercom etc.

A quality bathmat, no doubt!

Indeed! There's a lot of equipment to include – probably going all the way through the 80's. Expect there will be less to include from the tech-y Brosnan- and Craig eras though.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    After going through some of the earlier films lately, I was reminded how great some of the huge control panels and monitors they have are. It's a stupid, minor thing, but something like the big control board in the crematorium in DAF is just cinematically more interesting and useful to the director than a bank of monitors and a keyboard or an iPad or whatever you would have today. And they just immediatly structure a room differently, don't they. Nowadays, most tech is so homogenized that Bond's set designers have to do some weird stuff to make it more cinematic. Silva's server room doesn't make any technical sense; Safin's meeting room is incredibly impractical; Blofeld's torture chamber is just a dentist's office and the less said about ice palaces the better.
    Maybe this is just the difference between me knowing modern interior design and technology and not knowing older stuff and just taking the things I see in old films as normal, when people at the time would have the same reaction: looks cool, doesn't work like that.
    Those huge control panels, massive computers etc. made for some great set design in the older films (just look at Dr. No's lair!). Although very dated today, it must have looked quite impressive back in the day, even if it seemed realistic at all or not. Modern technology simply doesn't translate as well to the big screen, and gives an additional challenge to both interior designers who need to make the tech look – if not futuristic, then at least as technologically advanced as possible – and screenwriters, who need to write a script where all this tech is implemented in a believable way. What we often end up is stuff just like the examples you mention above @ImpertinentGoon.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    These chairs look great.
    Eames Replica
    furgle-mid-century-lounge-chair-and-ottoman-modern-chair-classic-design-3024523_00.jpg?v=637910969775674513&imgclass=dealpageimage
    These chairs look great.
    Eames Replica
    furgle-mid-century-lounge-chair-and-ottoman-modern-chair-classic-design-3024523_00.jpg?v=637910969775674513&imgclass=dealpageimage

A former classmate of mine set up a bank account where he set aside money each month saving for an Eames Lounge Chair and ottoman. Haven't spoken to him in years, so I don't know if he's been able to get one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's been a while since I sat in one, but I do remember the arms being slightly uncomfortably low :D
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    When searching out detail on the Tivoli Audio Model One radio I also saw more on this one.

1200px-Bang_and_Olufsen_logo.svg.png
    The Bang & Olufsen BeoSound Ouverture / 4000 CD Tape Player.
    1fa970ba3fed5f9fd66283d0f15b58e8e0f47279.pnj
    82a375197dfb4477509f3694690064cabfecbf2b.gifv

Bang & Olufsen BeoSound Ouverture CD Demo

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    These chairs look great.
    Eames Replica

A former classmate of mine set up a bank account where he set aside money each month saving for an Eames Lounge Chair and ottoman. Haven't spoken to him in years, so I don't know if he's been able to get one.

These come with the ottoman as well and they have good reviews comfort wise.
    Eames Lounge Chair vs Replica Eames Lounge Chairs! | ULTIMATE Guide

These chairs look great.
    Eames Replica

These come with the ottoman as well and they have good reviews comfort wise.
    Eames Lounge Chair vs Replica Eames Lounge Chairs! | ULTIMATE Guide

There are no doubt good Eames Lounge Chair replicas out there, and quite similar chairs at affordable prices. I expect the original will outlast them all though!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Those huge control panels, massive computers etc. made for some great set design in the older films (just look at Dr. No's lair!). Although very dated today, it must have looked quite impressive back in the day, even if it seemed realistic at all or not. Modern technology simply doesn't translate as well to the big screen, and gives an additional challenge to both interior designers who need to make the tech look – if not futuristic, then at least as technologically advanced as possible – and screenwriters, who need to write a script where all this tech is implemented in a believable way. What we often end up is stuff just like the examples you mention above @ImpertinentGoon.

I especially love the thoughtfulness of Dr. No to label his panels and servers with what each section did! LOL! Always loved the danger level on the wheel that Bond spins to set things to self destruct mode. Great touch for the audience and you buy it because everyone is playing it straight.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 17,280
    thedove wrote: »

I especially love the thoughtfulness of Dr. No to label his panels and servers with what each section did! LOL! Always loved the danger level on the wheel that Bond spins to set things to self destruct mode. Great touch for the audience and you buy it because everyone is playing it straight.

Haha, yes! The villains of the early films certainly took labelling, signage and health and safety serious. I'm a fan of this sign from DAF – "If in doubt – ask"

EXYZN5-XYAE2xvT.png
    The metal control panels seen in Kananga's lair (near the cavern entrance under the cemetary) looked so cool, that they were used in a couple of Doctor Who episodes in the late 70s.
    Is there something like Llewella Chapman's Fashioning James Bond for the interior design and architecture of the films? I wonder whether a lot of these factory-like settings were built after at-the-time current modern factories that were changing rapidly towards more professional and kind of sterile workplaces. The signs do seem like they were taken straight from an existing factory. Again, the modern factory (or even the five-years futuristic factory) is visually kind of played out, isn't it? Spinning robot arms in white, sterile environments. We've seen that a hundred times.

I really am stumped how it is that I just go along with some of the weird tech in the films made before I was born, but when it comes to some of the Brosnan-era things, my mind immediatly goes "nah, that's not how that works". I kind of want Bond films to just imagine a near-future and have some outragous tech, but then I fear it will look silly 2 years later. And most likely it's all a visually boring app anyway.

Maybe one way to go for a film is to take a bit from the Deaver book Carte Blanche where a waste management/recycling business plays a large role. There you still have a lot of heavy presses and bulldozers and huge control panels and stuff, but also more modern settings with rare earth recycling and stuff like that.
    The metal control panels seen in Kananga's lair (near the cavern entrance under the cemetary) looked so cool, that they were used in a couple of Doctor Who episodes in the late 70s.

Fun piece of trivia, @QBranch! It doesn't have the grand scale of the YOLT volcano for example, but Kananga's lair is actually really cool.
    Is there something like Llewella Chapman's Fashioning James Bond for the interior design and architecture of the films? I wonder whether a lot of these factory-like settings were built after at-the-time current modern factories that were changing rapidly towards more professional and kind of sterile workplaces. The signs do seem like they were taken straight from an existing factory. Again, the modern factory (or even the five-years futuristic factory) is visually kind of played out, isn't it? Spinning robot arms in white, sterile environments. We've seen that a hundred times.

I really am stumped how it is that I just go along with some of the weird tech in the films made before I was born, but when it comes to some of the Brosnan-era things, my mind immediatly goes "nah, that's not how that works". I kind of want Bond films to just imagine a near-future and have some outragous tech, but then I fear it will look silly 2 years later. And most likely it's all a visually boring app anyway.

Maybe one way to go for a film is to take a bit from the Deaver book Carte Blanche where a waste management/recycling business plays a large role. There you still have a lot of heavy presses and bulldozers and huge control panels and stuff, but also more modern settings with rare earth recycling and stuff like that.

I'd definitely buy a Bond interior book equivalent to the Llewella Chapman one. It's actually really strange that we haven't got more books on the subject.

Good point re. factory/workplace settings, @ImpertinentGoon. Haven't really thought about this myself, but you're absolutely right. I guess the reason why it's easier to get along with the weirder pieces of early era tech, is that we who weren't born at the time didn't experience the then modern tech ourselves, whereas we have so with the Brosnan era stuff.

The challenge of the Bond films are definitely to be current and to some extent ahead of the current technology – just enough for it to be sort of believable. If the balance the tech-y elements with more "grounded elements", (in lack of a better way to put it) the films won't look so silly just a few years later. I think CR struck a good balance there – even though you certainly feel that the film is made in a pre smartphone world.
    The Craig era is very interesting in that regard. I'd have to have a proper think about it to make my thoughts more cohesive, but they seem to have purposefully stepped back from technology and used pre-digital technology a lot. It's very noticable in CR - especially if watched as a double feature with DAD - and is kind of the point of SF (apart from Q's huge screen) but the other films also never let Craig-Bond have that many really modern, digital things. In NTTD they even decided against the LED numberplates on the DB5 as far as I can recall. The stuff that they have - smart blood or the Q-dar in NTTD - is still very industrial in a way. The smart blood or the chip in CR are administered with these huge injection guns. The Q-Dar is a massive piece of tech. If Brosnan had one of those, it probably would have fit inside his Brioni coat pocket. And in the end those are still mainly there to have Bond (and Nomi) appear as points on a map on a screen for other characters to look at. They barely do anything.
    And Bond's (or the Bond franchise's) relationship to smartphones would probably make for a good little essay. Of the top of my head I can't remember him using one for more than calling and maps. And that's in a franchise in which Brosnan conducted an entire car chase from an Ericsson mobile phone...

The outlier in the Craig era - and here we kind of get back to interior design - are the various touch panel walls and tables they have in QoS. In a way this is all very 2010s TV procedural (I think the Hawaii five-0 remake had almost the exact same thing), but I still think it's cooler than Ben Whishaw typing away on a laptop and a slideshow running on a big screen. That all got scuppered in the re-set that was Skyfall and it is of course a grand Bond tradition that MI6 has fantastic tech one year and either never uses it again or has an objectively worse version later.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    That table is an oddity even in the film it's in, the rest of Quantum goes for the gritty realism tone and then MI6 looks like Starfleet HQ. But it was a small extrapolation of the Microsoft Surface table that was released the same year that history has quite rightly chosen to ignore.

MI6 is a British government agency though, I expect it to be run-down and ancient. The massive walls of screens but in an austere underground bunker was a good compromise in Skyfall.
    That table is an oddity even in the film it's in, the rest of Quantum goes for the gritty realism tone and then MI6 looks like Starfleet HQ. But it was a small extrapolation of the Microsoft Surface table that was released the same year that history has quite rightly chosen to ignore.

MI6 is a British government agency though, I expect it to be run-down and ancient. The massive walls of screens but in an austere underground bunker was a good compromise in Skyfall.

I have been thinking about that. On the one hand, it would be a fun turn to have MI6 look aggressively like the run-down government agency it would be. But then, why would I want realism in a Bond film, when it makes everything less stylish? Maybe they could do that as a front. A bit like YOLT or SPECTRE HQ in TB. Bond walks into your standard ugly public sector office and through a hidden door we step into the luxurious wonderland that is the 00 section. Quick one liner and off we go.

And I really wanted one of those Surface tables back then. No way to afford that or any actual use for it), but I thought that was the coolest stuff.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Same, I thought it looked so cool as a kid but now even the UI in Quantum is starting to look dated. I think the problem is it draws attention to itself too much, especially the way it's overlayed so it's non-diagetic and diagetic.

Back to interior design though I agree that it should be stylish but not too unrealistic, like the Brosnan-era MI6 is fine if a little too bland for my tastes whereas I think the set they made for Spectre/NTTD is tastefully old-fashioned and the bog-standard monitors keep it grounded.
    Can't remember even having seen the Microsoft Surface table until you mentioned it here @CharmianBond!

And it's a good point re. the QOS tables, @ImpertinentGoon. It certainly stands out, and I remember it feeling a bit out of place, even though touch screens were a thing back then.

I really like the MI6 sets for SP and NTTD as well. I think it makes for a nice contrast to have the MI6 HQ and M's office tastefully old fashioned when you have stories where they're up against villains with all the tech of the world at their disposal. As much as Bond was an "old dog" in SF, MI6 is too in a certain way over the course of the last three films.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld

I have been thinking about that. On the one hand, it would be a fun turn to have MI6 look aggressively like the run-down government agency it would be. But then, why would I want realism in a Bond film, when it makes everything less stylish? Maybe they could do that as a front. A bit like YOLT or SPECTRE HQ in TB. Bond walks into your standard ugly public sector office and through a hidden door we step into the luxurious wonderland that is the 00 section. Quick one liner and off we go.

And I really wanted one of those Surface tables back then. No way to afford that or any actual use for it), but I thought that was the coolest stuff.

One of my fav parts of TB is early in the film when Largo walks through a humanitarian aid office and the SPECTRE meeting space is directly behind a secret door. Course the industrial look and secret doors was used as the opening credits of Get Smart a wonderful spy spoof show of the 60's. As a kid I loved all the secret doors and the theme music!