NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

Because, unlike us, not everyone has been waiting for a trailer. Releasing it cold likely wouldn't have the same reward as teasing people that it's coming two days beforehand, and then hitting them with it and giving them more to talk about in the lead up to Christmas. There will be a few more people watching Craig, Malek and De Armas on GMA on Wednesday because of this tease. They'll hear them talking about the film in a positive way, and then they'll see the trailer to seal the deal.

Make no mistake, Wednesday is a big day. This was a wise move.
    Thing is, I haven't been waiting for a trailer. I know the new movie is due out in April, probably like the majority of cinema audiences, and expect to see promotional material closer to the release date. There's only an infinitely small group of members here that are clamouring almost daily for a teaser or trailer, like an eager child wanting to unwrap their Christmas present early and spoil their moment. Some here are even avoiding it all together as not to mar the overall movie experience. Some will view it, some will not. Which brings me back to my point: Why does it matter that we all watch the teaser collectively on Wednesday? What's the purpose of building it up for that day? Perhaps it's a form of marketing to gauge the public's enthusiasm for the new Bond movie, and how much money they're willing to throw at their marketing campaign closer to the release date? Apart from that, I really don't see the point of a 15-second teaser for a teaser. It's rather trite IMHO.
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Great post, CraigMoore. ^:)^
    You're such a sycophant. 8-|
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2019 Posts: 5,869
    bondsum wrote: »
    Because, unlike us, not everyone has been waiting for a trailer. Releasing it cold likely wouldn't have the same reward as teasing people that it's coming two days beforehand, and then hitting them with it and giving them more to talk about in the lead up to Christmas. There will be a few more people watching Craig, Malek and De Armas on GMA on Wednesday because of this tease. They'll hear them talking about the film in a positive way, and then they'll see the trailer to seal the deal.

Thing is, I haven't been waiting for a trailer. I know the new movie is due out in April, probably like the majority of cinema audiences, and expect to see promotional material closer to the release date. There's only an infinitely small group of members here that are clamouring almost daily for a teaser or trailer, like an eager child wanting to unwrap their Christmas present early and spoil their moment. Some here are even avoiding it all together as not to mar the overall movie experience. Some will view it, some will not. Which brings me back to my point: Why does it matter that we all watch the teaser collectively on Wednesday? What's the purpose of building it up for that day? Perhaps it's a form of marketing to gauge the public's enthusiasm for the new Bond movie, and how much money they're willing to throw at their marketing campaign closer to the release date? Apart from that, I really don't see the point of a 15-second teaser for a teaser. It's rather trite IMHO.
    Well if you actually do some research, you'll know that the success of a trailers release can do wonders for a film's success. For example, the first IT trailer set record for the most online views in a single day, and that film ended up becoming the highest-grossing horror film at the worldwide box office. So if this is achievable in today's marketing, why shouldn't other marketing campaigns do everything they can to get its properties more attention to possibly lend itself to the success of the film's release...

... and yes, there are people who don't want to see trailers to not ruin the movie for themselves, but that's their choice as it is the marketing's choice to make more people aware of the trailers arrival to help the success of the project, and it's also our choice to watch it and appreciate it for what it is. You don't like them, cool, but there's no point in getting into a debate about whether they should've released it all.
    ...or he agrees and has the same opinion...?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Whether or not fans here watch it or not is irrelevant to the point I made, because they're already sold on the film as Bond fans and members of this forum. The general public are not. They need to be hit hard with certain materials because we live in times of media oversaturation (which yes, is a tad ironic given the context of the conversation here), and most people will watch it on Wednesday because it is fresh. You're right, it's all about the public, and getting them enthused again. There are a great many people out there who won't be 100% aware of the release date, because their only exposure is the teaser poster and they may or may not remember the April across the bottom. So, the fact that a lot of people are talking about the trailer today, before it has even been released, is a smart (albeit cheap, admittedly) marketing ploy to attract the attention of Joe Soap. Everything feels a bit more special when it is made feel like an event. It's worked. It's all over social media today. And that means the trailer will likely be everywhere too, and positive buzz about the film will be through the roof.

• DenbighDenbigh UK

Whether or not fans here watch it or not is irrelevant to the point I made, because they're already sold on the film as Bond fans and members of this forum. The general public are not. They need to be hit hard with certain materials because we live in times of media oversaturation (which yes, is a tad ironic given the context of the conversation here), and most people will watch it on Wednesday because it is fresh. You're right, it's all about the public, and getting them enthused again. There are a great many people out there who won't be 100% aware of the release date, because their only exposure is the teaser poster and they may or may not remember the April across the bottom. So, the fact that a lot of people are talking about the trailer today, before it has even been released, is a smart (albeit cheap, admittedly) marketing ploy to attract the attention of Joe Soap. Everything feels a bit more special when it is made feel like an event. It's worked. It's all over social media today. And that means the trailer will likely be everywhere too, and positive buzz about the film will be through the roof.
    ...and with character posters tomorrow, the film is gonna be all over social media for most of the week :D
  • skropper13skropper13 United States
    Ana d Armas just shared the teaser on her instagram with the caption “first teaser” so this would lead me to believe the trailer on Wednesday will only be a teaser as well. Kind of disappointing but at least we’re getting something finally!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Denbigh wrote: »

...and with character posters tomorrow, the film is gonna be all over social media for most of the week :D

Exactly.

I'm not a fan of trailer teasers myself, because they are not exactly satisfying. But that's the point and in this case it was extremely effective, evidently.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

Well if you actually do some research, you'll know that the success of a trailers release can do wonders for a film's success. For example, the first IT trailer set record for the most online views in a single day, and that film ended up becoming the highest-grossing horror film at the worldwide box office. So if this is achievable in today's marketing, why shouldn't other marketing campaigns do everything they can to get its properties more attention to possibly lend itself to the success of the film's release...

... and yes, there are people who don't want to see trailers to not ruin the movie for themselves, but that's their choice as it is the marketing's choice to make more people aware of the trailers arrival to help the success of the project, and it's also our choice to watch it and appreciate it for what it is. You don't like them, cool, but there's no point in getting into a debate about whether they should've released it all.
    ...or he agrees and has the same opinion...?

I think it's the latter, but I'm not sure.

:-?
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    skropper13 wrote: »
    Ana d Armas just shared the teaser on her instagram with the caption “first teaser” so this would lead me to believe the trailer on Wednesday will only be a teaser as well. Kind of disappointing but at least we’re getting something finally!
    Honestly, that’s what I’d prefer. The SF and SP teasers are perfect, while the trailers gave just a bit too much away for my tastes.
    Minion wrote: »
    Honestly, that’s what I’d prefer. The SF and SP teasers are perfect, while the trailers gave just a bit too much away for my tastes.

IMHO the SP teaser was already too revealing.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I love how old-school the shot of the guy in the mask is. Looks what happens when you put it in black and white. It could a shot from any film from the old days of Cold War espionage films...

bqhW1G1.jpg
    Minion wrote: »

IMHO the SP teaser was already too revealing.
    ...it makes a huge difference when your villain reveal isn't so bloody obvious.

If anyone hadn't known before, the Spectre teaser trailer told everyone that Waltz was Blofeld.
    The image has more of a horror vibe
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    TV Ratings: 'Sunday Night Football' Rules Again
    https://hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/sunday-night-football-ncis-la-tv-ratings-sunday-dec-1-2019-1258647

Good news for the tv spot that aired during Sunday Night Football.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I wonder if we'll get another James Bond themed episode of The Graham Norton? We had it with the last two films :) If so, I wonder who'd be on it... my predictions would be Daniel Craig, Rami Malek and either Lea Seydoux or Lashana Lynch
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,677
    I wonder if we'll get another James Bond themed episode of The Graham Norton? We had it with the last two films :) If so, I wonder who'd be on it... my predictions would be Daniel Craig, Rami Malek and either Lea Seydoux or Lashana Lynch

Oh I hope so, and In hope Craig brings his newfound fun self along :)

And on that note, how did he come from KO looking fat, red and puffy and became mean and lean for NTTD? He looks brilliant. And looks like Cary finally figured out that he looks better in profile or from slightly angled perspectives rather than front and centre and close ups. All I see are wide shots and that gives it a sense of epic scale and context.

Can’t wait for Wednesday
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Univex wrote: »

Oh I hope so, and In hope Craig brings his newfound fun self along :)
    To be fair he's always been a great guest on The Graham Norton Show :)
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    So excited for this film, it's finally happening. Hopefully they keep the hype going from Wednesday to April consistently
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm very interested to see the style of these character posters we'll be getting tomorrow :)
    I'm very interested to see the style of these character posters we'll be getting tomorrow :)

I always hate character posters. Well, besides Bond’s, that is. But I’m ready to be impressed ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I always hate character posters. Well, besides Bond’s, that is. But I’m ready to be impressed ;)
    I don't mind them, but I'm biased considering I enjoy making my own haha, but I will be interested to see if Rami Malek gets one... considering his character been kept under wraps so much.
    If there are going to be character posters, I hope they will be better than the teaser poster... [-O<

I don't mind them, but I'm biased considering I enjoy making my own haha, but I will be interested to see if Rami Malek gets one... considering his character been kept under wraps so much.

Problem is, yours are always better than the official ones ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Problem is, yours are always better than the official ones ;)
    Ah thanks haha, but we'll just have to wait and see tomorrow. They might be brilliant :)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If there are going to be character posters, I hope they will be better than the teaser poster... [-O<
    It can't possibly be any worse, so we're good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not a lot to glean from a 15 second teaser for a teaser. Not sure what the point of a teaser for a teaser is? What are MGM hoping to achieve with this? Why not just drop the actual bloody teaser in its entirety?

Well it’s got us all talking and excited, so I guess it’s done its job! :)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mtm wrote: »
    Not a lot to glean from a 15 second teaser for a teaser. Not sure what the point of a teaser for a teaser is? What are MGM hoping to achieve with this? Why not just drop the actual bloody teaser in its entirety?

Precisely. It's a new and effective marketing strategy. You don't have to like it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    jake24 wrote: »

Precisely. It's a new and effective marketing strategy. You don't have to like it.
    It's strange considering how people were saying just a month or two ago that EON needs to up their game, and deliver better marketing strategies, but now they're actually doing it, it's still bad??

Even though we can all see how overwhelmingly excited and positive most people are online.
    jake24 wrote: »

It's strange considering how people were saying just a month or two ago that EON needs to up their game, and deliver better marketing strategies, but now they're actually doing it, it's still bad??

The sum of all fears.
    Will it be attached to SW?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Possibly, although I thought it would go into cinemas closer to it's actual release on Wednesday. Ngl, I'm a tiny bit annoyed, it won't be with my Knives Out screening tomorrow but it's fine haha :D
    Possibly, although I thought it would go into cinemas closer to it's actual release on Wednesday. Ngl, I'm a tiny bit annoyed, it won't be with my Knives Out screening tomorrow but it's fine haha :D

Oh, you’ll love KO. I did. Way to spend your birthday!