The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Jay Breaks a World Record in a Tesla Plaid, 9.2 second, 151MPH 1/4 mile time

Too bad about the awful yoke steering, average looks ,white interior.
    Jay probably wants a denim interior ? ;))

Tesla is overpriced crap.

Most of their models are cheaply made (and some are rather ugly) and I'm sick of the press drooling about everything Tesla/Musk says or does.

True.
    American cars are all crap.

No.

Well maybe not all of them but most of them.
    Mercedes-AMG One
    mercedes-benz_amg-project-2.jpg
    2022 Ferrari BR20 Preview Reveal
    $3.5 million DB5 in LA
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The Land Rover which Bond’s plane crashed into in Spectre has been fully restored (which must’ve been quite a job: cost £46,000 to do!) and is for sale at the NEC today.

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/sa077-lot-17302-2015-landrover-defender-svx-spectre-jb24?el=17302&pn=1&pp=100

31db79519c51a42dc6d47dfb0083e0f9.jpeg
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    mtm wrote: »
    Everybody's free to spend his money as he pleases, even if it is for nonsensical gadgets.
    Sunday, I saw a Saab 900 I parked near a local DIY store :

Saab-900-Classic-05.jpg

I'm not quite sure about the boot. I really prefer the one on the Saab 900 Turbo, but of course, i'm a Bond fan.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Gerard wrote: »

Saab-900-Classic-05.jpg

I'm not quite sure about the boot. I really prefer the one on the Saab 900 Turbo, but of course, i'm a Bond fan.

I'll always be a Saab fan. :-*
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2021 Posts: 14,956

Saab-900-Classic-05.jpg

I had two of that model, both Turbos. One was a two-door saloon model with that sort of boot, and then I got the hatchback Aero, just like this one:

rztgqt003vw41.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=2adcc7abdccebb3ebcadf87d124629edfa691b4f

It was a lovely car.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I know this is in a way useless speculation/fan wishes, but what do you think are the chances we will see a Bond film set partially at an actual, honest to God F1 Grand Prix in the future?

I feel like F1 have become a bit more flexible in their marketing approach with the Netflix show (although that connection might be a hindrance, once half of Bond is owned by Amazon), there is of course the Aston Martin connection and the car connection in general and the international glamour circus of it all just seems to fit Bond perfectly. It's almost too much of a trope, to be honest.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    No chance in my opinion for that to happen. Movies set in motor racing have a rather narrow fan base, for many it is simply not interesting enough. It definitively would need to be glamorus, like when it 's a city course (say Monte Carlo or Singapore), but even then I don't see the point. I even could not get excited by the race scenes in Trigger Mortis or the use of F1 racing in the Persuaders episode where Brett Sinclair competes in the British GP.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2021 Posts: 14,956
    Yeah I've always thought it would suit Bond, but it's kind of hard to see how it could be staged as they're on for such short times and both Bond and F1 are very complex productions; plus I imagine F1 themselves might charge so much for it that it could be uneconomic.
    I wouldn't really want to see Bond getting out on the circuit or anything as that would just be silly.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Saab-900-Classic-05.jpg

Me too. My great-grandfather had the exact same model, it was built in 1982 I think. My grandmother kept driving it well into the early 2000’s.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Saab-900-Classic-05.jpg

Me too. My great-grandfather had the exact same model, it was built in 1982 I think. My grandmother kept driving it well into the early 2000’s.

My father has only ever driven used Saabs as far back as I can remember. A white 900 Turbo is what I remember as our family car when I was a small child. A 9000 and then various 9-3 and 9-5 followed. I think he is currently in a 9-3 Aero, but it's honestly hard for me to keep all these late-period Saabs seperated.
    He was really broken up when the company went bust and I actually have no idea what he will do next. I guess for the time being there are a number of used ones floating around, but I guess at some point that becomes less and less feasible.

Saab-900-Classic-05.jpg

My father has only ever driven used Saabs as far back as I can remember. A white 900 Turbo is what I remember as our family car when I was a small child. A 9000 and then various 9-3 and 9-5 followed. I think he is currently in a 9-3 Aero, but it's honestly hard for me to keep all these late-period Saabs seperated.
    He was really broken up when the company went bust and I actually have no idea what he will do next. I guess for the time being there are a number of used ones floating around, but I guess at some point that becomes less and less feasible.

I was a bit heartbroken myself. Saab has always produced cars that only they would make, there is an identity to them that I don’t find in the BMW/Audi overload of today’s car industry. A shame really.
    Today, while going to buy some groceries, I saw a Renault 4CV :

ob_8e5b0e_renault-4cv-1957-101.jpg
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,353
    Ferrari Daytona SP3
    Daytona_SP3_03.jpg
    FEppVWIXsAk7MKw?format=jpg&name=large
    FEtFQyGWYAIw-Ip?format=jpg&name=medium
    2022 Kia Stinger
    2022-kia-stinger-25t-gt-line-112.jpg?auto=webp&width=1092
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Yeah I've always thought it would suit Bond, but it's kind of hard to see how it could be staged as they're on for such short times and both Bond and F1 are very complex productions; plus I imagine F1 themselves might charge so much for it that it could be uneconomic.
    I wouldn't really want to see Bond getting out on the circuit or anything as that would just be silly.

I don't see that work: Bond ending up in a car wouldn't work, and a chace during the race would be stopped by F1 lest any fans get crazy ideas.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited November 2021 Posts: 3,497

Saab-900-Classic-05.jpg

B-) That's cool to hear.

And to think that the new 9-3 was ready to go right before Saab's bankruptcy...... :|

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1082476_first-photo-of-the-phoenix-based-saab-9-3-that-never-was

Saab-900-Classic-05.jpg

B-) That's cool to hear.

And to think that the new 9-3 was ready to go right before Saab's bankruptcy...... :|

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1082476_first-photo-of-the-phoenix-based-saab-9-3-that-never-was

True. Sad story. Always liked the 9-3 models. Saab will always be missed. :(

Luckily Lancia is due to make a comeback.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/lancias-grand-comeback-involves-cars-jointly-developed-with-alfa-romeo/

Of all the still-alive and not ridiculously-expensive brands I’d say Alfa, Lancia and DS are my three favourites.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Saab-900-Classic-05.jpg

I had two of that model, both Turbos. One was a two-door saloon model with that sort of boot, and then I got the hatchback Aero, just like this one:

rztgqt003vw41.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=2adcc7abdccebb3ebcadf87d124629edfa691b4f

It was a lovely car.

I know this is not going to be popular, but in spite of all the raves about their performance I always found Saabs rather ugly (and I mean every generation of them), including the much-revered convertibles. This has only lessened with their final models, but that didn't help either. They're gone.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's fair enough, but it's maybe a bit unnecessary to quote someone saying they had two of them in order to announce you don't like them! :D
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Some cars were defined by their shapes, so much so, that they are instantly recognizable, like the Saab 900 and the Citroen DS. It is a car-designer's dream come true.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Some cars were defined by their shapes, so much so, that they are instantly recognizable, like the Saab 900 and the Citroen DS. It is a car-designer's dream come true.

Most cars were recognizable a few decades ago. Now they all look the same.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's what people were saying a couple of decades ago! :D

Honestly, if you look at most normal everyday cars from the 50s or 60s from one country they're quite hard to tell apart.
    That's what people were saying a couple of decades ago! :D

Honestly, if you look at most normal everyday cars from the 50s or 60s from one country they're quite hard to tell apart.

Agreed. If I'm allowed to quote you just for this remark.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Eh?
    Eh?

Just kidding, because you found my last quote "maybe a bit unnecessary". No hard feelings, of course.