The Cinematography of NTTD - Linus Sandgren

Comments

Is it safe to say we can expect a long tracking shot somewhere in this film?

I'd be shocked if there wasn't, Fukunaga loves them.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,006

Very safe. I’m guessing possibly the Jamaica nightclub or the Norway action sequence.

I highly recommend checking out the long tracking shot from Cary’s Beasts of No Nation. Quite impressive (and disturbing)! Runs from about 78-81mins into the film.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 4,400

The answer - sadly - looks to be a 'no.'

Cary recently gave an interview where he was asked that question here:
    https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/qa-james-bond-director-cary-fukunaga-time-die-79896905

Basically, it sounds as though there wasn't the time to prepare for it. Though he doesn't emphatically say there won't be a long take in NTTD, it seems unlikely. At least not a True Detective action sequence.

I really thought there would be - especially as Linus Sandgren shot a lot of long single takes in La La Land during the dance sequences.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    That's okay. You don't need a long tracking shot in every film.
  • fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/qa-james-bond-director-cary-fukunaga-time-die-79896905

Basically, it sounds as though there wasn't the time to prepare for it. Though he doesn't emphatically say there won't be a long take in NTTD, it seems unlikely. At least not a True Detective action sequence.

I really thought there would be - especially as Linus Sandgren shot a lot of long single takes in La La Land during the dance sequences.

Thanks for the info!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

That's a shame, I was really hoping to see a sequence like the one in True Detective, that was fantastic. Thanks for the info mate
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2021 Posts: 10,588
    3cz2wkph4yfc.png

918u4gntd3d2.png
    0xf7gx03ttwt.png

New shots revealed in a Korean TV Spot. These might be throwaway shots to some but there is something so beautiful and classical about them.
  • StarkStark France
    jake24 wrote: »
    3cz2wkph4yfc.png

918u4gntd3d2.png
    0xf7gx03ttwt.png

New shots revealed in a Korean TV Spot. These might be throwaway shots to some but there is something so beautiful and classical about them.

Like the omega spot it's not the cinematography of the film, the colors are less dark in the trailers.
    antovolk wrote: »

Really hope the home media release maintains the aspect ratio a la the recent BVS re-release. Or at least what Nolan films do and adjust to 16:9.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I'm late to the conversation but pretty bummed to hear that there wasn't enough time to do one, as Fukunaga is a genius when it comes to crafting them.
  • matt_u wrote: »

For those who loved the one shot in True Detective....Despite his previous comments, Cary has a little surprise in store for you here 😉

I really think Daniel Craig owes Linus Sandgren a drink. He looks beautiful throughout this film. So rugged.

VWOILOP.png
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    matt_u wrote: »

For those who loved the one shot in True Detective....Despite his previous comments, Cary has a little surprise in store for you here 😉

I really think Daniel Craig owes Linus Sandgren a drink. He looks beautiful throughout this film. So rugged.

VWOILOP.png

Serious?? That's awesome news, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled now. I might've missed it had you not mentioned it, since I was under the impression he hadn't done one.

VWOILOP.png

I think part of it is that he's been allowed to age while playing Bond. I LOVE that we get to see a Bond with a touch of grey in his hair, it helps reinforce the idea that we HAVE spent a decade and a half on missions with the same guy.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    The film certainly looked good, a vast improvement on Spectre just in colour alone. But I dont think Deakins has been dethroned in terms of Craig era cinematography. Comes real close though.

Also its disappointing the IMAX shot sequences are at the front of the film, I dont think there was any expanded ratio stuff beyond the Cuba sequence.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Mallory wrote: »
    The film certainly looked good, a vast improvement on Spectre just in colour alone. But I dont think Deakins has been dethroned in terms of Craig era cinematography. Comes real close though.

Also its disappointing the IMAX shot sequences are at the front of the film, I dont think there was any expanded ratio stuff beyond the Cuba sequence.

Think some of the Norway sequences were although I can't say I noticed I was too engrossed in the film. Seems like I was one of few who enjoyed the film after Cuba lol.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    In terms of cinematography it's a close second behind Deakins' SKYFALL for me. But NTT looked awesome and Craig way better than in SKYFALL and SPECTRE. Well done!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    So brilliant! I think this is outstanding cinematography. This and Deakins' Skyfall, just tremendous. Both serve the story superbly and have stunning shots, great action sequences, truly beautiful films. I had high expectations for Sandgren after viewing an early trailer. He did not disappoint!
  • Fukunaga and Sandgren really add shocks of excitement by employing a rough and tumble, one-camera guerilla-style. For example, in Bond and Primo's fight in Matera. However, it is most noticeable during that missile silo scene imbues the typically slick Bond with a dirty, visceral edge. It also matches Craig’s brawling style better than any other director he has had in the series. I love that Bond gets roughed up and struggles his way through that sequence. He barely comes out of it alive. Also great that it ends in a corny Bond gag that Craig nails the delivery on.

However, do we think it really was one take? There is a moment where Primo's back covers the whole screen for a split second. Though, in this interview, Fukunaga seemingly hints at the sequence and (perhaps I'm reading into it) is saying it was done as a oner.....

edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Shit happens and I won’t be able to watch it in IMAX.
    Listen @antovolk since you watched it in its full IMAX glory can you tell me which scenes were shot in that format?
    We know the PTS and the opening credits are in imax. What about the other roughly 20 minutes?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think Cary had some long takes but wasn't trying to push it on purpose beyond what served the story. I mean it is now a "signature trait" of his, but I didn't discern a really extra long tracking shot. I have seen it twice. I love the cinematography in this film; the colors, the choices made, all of it. But I was so engrossed, I may not have noticed a very long one take. I think the camera work was so excellent. No shaky cam thankfully; but putting you right in the scene.
    Listen @antovolk since you watched it in full imax can you tell me which scenes were shot in that format?
    We know the PTS and the opening credits are in imax. What about the other roughly 20 minutes?

So I have seen it twice in IMAX. Once in local digital and once at BFI.

IMAX scenes are:
    • The entire pre-titles sequence, Norway and Matera. Whole thing.
    • The titles sequence.
    • Bond arriving at his home on his boat.
    • The second half of the Cuba sequence (the action sequence, the whole thing).

At a guess, 30 mins up to the end of the titles and 10 mins of the boat and then Cuba.
    Listen @antovolk since you watched it in full imax can you tell me which scenes were shot in that format?

IMAX scenes are:
    • The titles sequence.

At a guess, 30 mins up to the end of the titles and 10 mins of the boat and then Cuba.

Thanks a lot!

IMAX scenes are:
    • The titles sequence.

Thanks a lot!

Hopefully when the 4k and blu-ray come out, those scenes will retain the larger aspect ratio.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 38
    However, do we think it really was one take? There is a moment where Primo's back covers the whole screen for a split second. Though, in this interview, Fukunaga seemingly hints at the sequence and (perhaps I'm reading into it) is saying it was done as a oner.....
    He could be talking about that staircase scene but I'm not sure, it was definitely not shot in one take but a series of stitches. When you shoot those kind of scenes (funnily was doing one yesterday) you do a lot of takes and the video playback operator is busy stitching the select of the previous shot with the one you're currently doing together as you go making sure it'll work. Eventually often after several takes you've got something that looks seamless. I don't know if you get the feeling he was describing though when it works, it's more a technicality and it takes time.

I guess you do have to wait to find out if it's worked after a take the director likes and it's not just a quick "moving on", so maybe there is a bit of excitement about it, but often it's just tedious and slow.
    The sweeping shots of Matera were exquisite, I wish we could have stayed there longer and drunk in the place more
    I plan to take my girlfriend on a holiday there next year because of NTTD
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    The sweeping shots of Matera were exquisite, I wish we could have stayed there longer and drunk in the place more

Great idea, @Jordo007! :-)

I was planning on doing a "Craig Bond" trip through Italy with my wife: Venice, Rome, Lake Como and Sienna, Tuscany and Matera.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Great idea, @Jordo007! :-)

I was planning on doing a "Craig Bond" trip through Italy with my wife: Venice, Rome, Lake Como and Sienna, Tuscany and Matera.

That's sounds perfect. The Craig has really showed off how beautiful Italy is
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I live in Italy and I feel ashamed that I never been able to visit Matera. My hometown Verona is like 30 mins by car from the Gardesana road where they shot the QoS chase back in 2007.
  • Mallory wrote: »

IMAX scenes are:
    • The titles sequence.

This was the first time I've seen a film in IMAX. If I'm honest I didn't really see what the fuss is about IMAX. The trailer for the new Top Gun was quite impressive in it though for the dogfights.