The Cinematography of NTTD - Linus Sandgren

167891012»

Comments

• edited January 2023 Posts: 2,869
    I would say the mise en scene is too typical and simple. Spielberg always has extremely elaborate blocking for even simple scenes.

Yes, I was about to say that Spielberg's blocking (and of course how that works with the cinematography/editing decisions) is a lot more nuanced than what we get in NTTD. Otherwise I can definitely see where the other poster is coming from about NTTD feeling very Spielberg-esque purely from the cinematography itself.
    Univex wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    As much as I enjoyed a lot of NTTD's cinematography, I don't think anything will ever top Skyfall. The shot of Bond in silhouette running across the ice with his home in flames behind him will forever be iconic

Bond 26 will have a hard time matching Linus though
    matt_u wrote: »
    I agree, even tho I prefer the film better over digital. But Deakins is too good.

I wholeheartedly agree. They should get Deakins back. Maybe lure him back with Nolan. I’d love to see that combo for a new Bond. one thing is for certain, it would look amazing.

I think the issue is that Nolan and Deakins feel like different artists. The most obvious difference is their views on digital and film cinematography (Nolan being very much set in his ways about the latter, while Deakins has been famously open and accomplished in the former, usually preferring to work with it). Nolan is also a director more focused on ideas but often makes technical decisions that can take the viewer out of the film (ie. the sound design decisions of Tenet and a few of his other films) while Deakins is very much a technically accomplished cinematographer whose main focus is engaging the viewer emotionally. I'm really not sure if they'd work together all that well.

That said, I'm all for Deakins coming back. Wonderful cinematographer. Just as long as it's with the right director.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Nolan would prefer working with Hoyte van Hoytema, so you’d all have to brace for more browns and beige!
    Nolan would prefer working with Hoyte van Hoytema, so you’d all have to brace for more browns and beige!

Hoyte sometimes gets it right. Dunkirk and Interstellar were far better in that regard. Saw him once, btw, in Prague. Relevant? Nop ;) I prefer Wally Pfiser work on the Nolan films. The Prestige and Inception had far, far better cinematography, IMO.
  • Univex wrote: »

Hoyte sometimes gets it right. Dunkirk and Interstellar were far better in that regard. Saw him once, btw, in Prague. Relevant? Nop ;) I prefer Wally Pfiser work on the Nolan films. The Prestige and Inception had far, far better cinematography, IMO.

Maybe with the exception of Interstellar I’ve found the rest of his work with Nolan to be pretty monochromatic. I think the Amalfi Coast portions of Tenet is probably the most Bondian feeling thing he’s shot, possibly including Spectre.
    What I love about this movie’s cinematography is how kinetic the camera is. As good as skyfall looks, it can be a bit dry and reserved on repeat viewings because everything is on a tripod. NTTD just feels more exciting.

Maybe with the exception of Interstellar I’ve found the rest of his work with Nolan to be pretty monochromatic. I think the Amalfi Coast portions of Tenet is probably the most Bondian feeling thing he’s shot, possibly including Spectre.

I have to rewatch Tenet. It's interesting, I have almost no will to rewatch Tenet and NTTD. Really. They both hurt me a bit, enough to keep me away. I still haven't revisited NTTD since I saw it in the theatre. First time that happened was with DAD. And I've tried to come back to that one over the years and failed continuously. I'll watch the Amalfi scenes in Tenet. And NTTD's first third. At some point, that is.
    What I love about this movie’s cinematography is how kinetic the camera is. As good as skyfall looks, it can be a bit dry and reserved on repeat viewings because everything is on a tripod. NTTD just feels more exciting.

One of the issues I actually have with NTTD is that it can too kinetic at times which gives off the wrong type of feeling for many scenes. The staircase shootout during the finale is an example. It just doesn't feel like Bond is in danger because everything from the choreography to the long take/ the camerawork looks too polished. It's very stylised but not in a way that works for the story. It's almost cartoonish I'd argue (which is fine for certain films, Kingsmen and Atomic Blonde did it very well, but for this particular scene there needed to be more tension).

SF is a very stylised film as well in terms of cinematography, don't get me wrong. But even the fight between Bond and Patrice in Shanghai has a lot of tension to it which the more subtle camera movement and long take enhances. Whenever I watch it I still find myself leaning forward with the expectation of one of them falling over the ledge.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @007HallY It’s a great shot for sure, the camera moving in quickly at the end, moving upwards whilst tilting downwards over them and the ledge.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 2,869
    Mallory wrote: »
    @007HallY It’s a great shot for sure, the camera moving in quickly at the end, moving upwards whilst tilting downwards over them and the ledge.

It's great. It's still a long take, but it's so subtle that it just lets the fight play out with the two silhouetted. That whole section of the film feels very Vertigo-esque to me, and I can imagine that was the visual reference Deakins and Mendes went from when planning those scenes.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    007HallY wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »

It's great. It's still a long take, but it's so subtle that it just lets the fight play out with the two silhouetted. That whole section of the film feels very Vertigo-esque to me, and I can imagine that was the visual reference Deakins and Mendes went from when planning those scenes.

Appreciate we are going off topic, but the whole “Jellyfish” sequence is amazingly put together. I’d also add Newman’s score and the sound mix (the whirring of the glass cutter) really add to the tension of the scene.
  • StarkStark France
    As much as I enjoyed a lot of NTTD's cinematography, I don't think anything will ever top Skyfall. The shot of Bond in silhouette running across the ice with his home in flames behind him will forever be iconic

I agree, even tho I prefer the film better over digital. But Deakins is too good.

I wholeheartedly agree. They should get Deakins back. Maybe lure him back with Nolan. I’d love to see that combo for a new Bond. one thing is for certain, it would look amazing.

Deakins has already said he doesn't want to do a Bond movie again.
    Stark wrote: »

Deakins has already said he doesn't want to do a Bond movie again.

Damn it! :(
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Yeah it’s the whole “I don’t want to repeat myself” thing.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,921
    007HallY wrote: »
    The staircase shootout during the finale is an example. It just doesn't feel like Bond is in danger because everything from the choreography to the long take/ the camerawork looks too polished. It's very stylised but not in a way that works for the story. It's almost cartoonish I'd argue (which is fine for certain films, Kingsmen and Atomic Blonde did it very well, but for this particular scene there needed to be more tension).
    Agreed. It's almost as if it was done that way so that Fukunaga could play his greatest hit (the long take in True Detective) one more time. It's distinctive and it's really well done but, yes, the stairwell shootout does seem a bit cartoonish and it does lack tension.
    All action scenes in NTTD, bar the opening one, seem staged and are as empty as the narrative of Craig’s last pair of films. IMO, of course.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That same complaint is one of my issues with SF - it all feels overly staged, over-produced, to the point that nothing feels natural or fluid or spontaneous.

The worst offender of this for me is the shootout sequence in the street in Cuba in NTTD. It's way too mechanical.

I personally love that final tracking shot but I can see where some of these complaints are coming from.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I really enjoyed the first fight between Bond and Ash on the boat during my last rewatch. I actually wish it ran a bit longer as it was very crunchy.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,921
    Yes, Cuba just went a bit daft once the shooting started. Drinking games and 'May I cut in?', indeed. Worth it for Paloma's squeal and her face when she's crashed the car, though! Gad, what a woman...
    My only gripe with the fight on the boat is that I'm not buying CraigBond being fought to a standstill by the Book of Mormon. I know he's been out of the game for five years, but come on - he's the guy, etc!