1. NTTD
    2. CR
    (big gap)
    3. SF
    4. SP
    5. QoS
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Minion wrote: »
    I have a Bond playlist on Spotify and the tunes for TWINE/DAD/CR all run together for me. TND and QoS aren't there for whatever reason. A few cues stick out, like I recognize the overdramatic Icarus motif and when it gets a little tribal I know it's the opening chase of CR, but other than that... Arnold is very samey.

Nice! I've got a Spotify list as well; it had Surrender rather than the TND theme, but in Canada that song isn't on Spotify anymore. I've also got No Good About Goodbye for QoS, as well as Another Way To Die. Don't love it as a Bond theme but I do love it as a song on my Bond playlist. I actually don't have TWINE or DAD on my playlist at all.

There should be a thread where we can post and discuss our Spotify Bond playlists.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 252
    My Soundtrack-Ranking

1. NTTD
    2. SF
    3. QOS
    4. SP
    5. CR

Yes i know, CR on the 5th Place, there's the beautiful Vespers Theme and so on, but most of the score ist too much electronic, i prefer QOS more.

And i like Newmans work on SF
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Listening to Cuba Chase again, what an outstanding track
    That moment at 1:27 in I'll Be Right Back is very Batman. In fact I think the first few chords were heard verbatim in some Batman film.
    I don't know if this has been discussed before in this thread, but as you know, they usually edit the title song for the film, to make it run a little shorter. For this film, what they did was to remove the quiet part at the end of the song, and have the ending of the large orchestral part (heard at 3:34) lead directly into the guitar chord that closes the song.
  • The film version of the song was quite terrible and the title sequence was surprisingly weak.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    The film version of the song was quite terrible and the title sequence was surprisingly weak.

I agree with the opposite of these statements.
    So do I.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    I have a Bond playlist on Spotify and the tunes for TWINE/DAD/CR all run together for me. TND and QoS aren't there for whatever reason. A few cues stick out, like I recognize the overdramatic Icarus motif and when it gets a little tribal I know it's the opening chase of CR, but other than that... Arnold is very samey.

Nice! I've got a Spotify list as well; it had Surrender rather than the TND theme, but in Canada that song isn't on Spotify anymore. I've also got No Good About Goodbye for QoS, as well as Another Way To Die. Don't love it as a Bond theme but I do love it as a song on my Bond playlist. I actually don't have TWINE or DAD on my playlist at all.

There should be a thread where we can post and discuss our Spotify Bond playlists.
    Surrender, what an amazing song. Slated to be at the start of the movie til marketing and the label got involved, then they put that dreck by Crow in front.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I hate the Crow song, but it’s better than “Surrender”, which just sounds like a bad attempt at a throwback big band number.
  • I hate the Crow song, but it’s better than “Surrender”, which just sounds like a bad attempt at a throwback big band number.
    You’re literally the only one who thinks that. Or at least I’ve never come across anyone who prefers Crow’s song. And I actually don’t mind her song. It’s just that “Surrender” is pure 100% Bond!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The film version of the song was quite terrible and the title sequence was surprisingly weak.

I actually agree with this. But only because I fear my theatre had bad sound and deflated the music in favour of Eilish's vocals.
    I hate the Crow song, but it’s better than “Surrender”, which just sounds like a bad attempt at a throwback big band number.
    You’re literally the only one who thinks that. Or at least I’ve never come across anyone who prefers Crow’s song. And I actually don’t mind her song. It’s just that “Surrender” is pure 100% Bond!

I can’t be the only one, after all, EON rejected “Surrender” in favor of a new song. It’s one of the few decisions I think they got right on that film.

I can’t be the only one, after all, EON rejected “Surrender” in favor of a new song. It’s one of the few decisions I think they got right on that film.

Nah, I think most of my friend group prefers the song we got. I still prefer Surrender though.
  • I hate the Crow song, but it’s better than “Surrender”, which just sounds like a bad attempt at a throwback big band number.

They all wanted and preferred “Surrender” for the title song except that Sheryl Crow just happened to be the flavor of the month at the time and hence would be a better sell. So they went with her. Also k.d. Lang was a lesbian so that worked against them too. Plus she just didn’t have the name recognition that Sheryl had.

But clearly “Surrender” was too good of a song to just discard. So they tacked it on the end. I’m glad they did!
    I don’t care, it’s just a boring “throwback” song to a bygone era. It was the 90s, not the 60s. They were right to pick a more contemporary pop song.
  • I don’t care, it’s just a boring “throwback” song to a bygone era. It was the 90s, not the 60s. They were right to pick a more contemporary pop song.
    Yeah but that’s the problem. The contemporary stuff is crap. Especially today. In fact you seem to hate the Crow song more than I do so I don’t understand how you say they made the right choice. Yes, I’d rather have a throwback to a bygone era if the alternative is contemporary crap. In fact even when it’s not crap I still prefer stuff from the bygone era.
    Interestingly, Surrender doesn’t remind me of the 60s at all.
    Because it’s a terrible attempt. There’s so many obnoxious choices like that electronic buzzing sound effect that Arnold seemed happy to punch (first heard just before Lang starts singing her verse), even all the way up to that “No Good About Goodbye” with Shirley Bassey he still applied that sound. As Mr. Kidd would say “most annoying”.

I’m just not beholden to the 60s sound. Even John Barry himself was abandoning it in favor of more contemporary sounds because playing the same sound was just dreadfully boring to him.
    Ok.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 735

Oh, that's interesting ...

I've got a couple of Bond or Bond-related playlists on Spotify:

1. "John Barry - James Bond Soundtracks of the '60s & '70s":
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5hNpl4vyIDH25mmy01EH7R?si=oP26T8GQS3S-xZiYrIVkkQ&utm_source=copy-link

2. "007 Style":
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6CqMFhEVmJdNuLmIDUmEyK?si=wIFf8hGLSCiyvktfsBQFcQ&utm_source=copy-link

I also live in Canada where (and maybe elsewhere) the only STs available after MR are GE; DAD; CR: the two Newmans; and NTTD - and there's also no LALD. Any idea why this would be so?

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Sera's score for GE is the only flaw in that great film, in my opinion. I really do not like it. I'm happy for Arnold to return, especially for the next one. Then get in some new composers.

I have not listened to Zimmer's soundtrack separately from the film. Just from watching the movie, I think it serves the film well. I like it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Feyador wrote: »

Oh, that's interesting ...

I've got a couple of Bond or Bond-related playlists on Spotify:

1. "John Barry - James Bond Soundtracks of the '60s & '70s":
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5hNpl4vyIDH25mmy01EH7R?si=oP26T8GQS3S-xZiYrIVkkQ&utm_source=copy-link

2. "007 Style":
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6CqMFhEVmJdNuLmIDUmEyK?si=wIFf8hGLSCiyvktfsBQFcQ&utm_source=copy-link

I also live in Canada where (and maybe elsewhere) the only STs available after MR are GE; DAD; CR: the two Newmans; and NTTD - and there's also no LALD. Any idea why this would be so?

I think it s more or less the same here.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited October 2021 Posts: 8,026
    Ok.

:))

I much prefer 'Surrender', too. It's a great track and I love Lang's performance. It's just one of those songs that never fails to make me feel good by the end. Really good fun.
    I get nothing out of Arnold’s efforts. His scores are part of why the latter three films blend together as something generic. That’s why his music is pastiche. I don’t get much elation out of that.

That’s why I rank the scores by Hamlisch, Conti, Kamen, Serra, Newman, and now Zimmer higher. They use the Bond sound but not at the expense of their own distinctive sound. It’s the Bond sound done their way, as opposed to Arnold trying to preserve the Barry sound.

This. QOS was surprisingly decent as it drew on some local flavour and CR had a few moments but his Brosnan soundtracks are all a blur to me.

I always felt like Arnold was trying to sound like Barry but without ever actually approaching the soundtracks like Barry would. Although Hamlisch and Conti both didn't sound typically Barry they still gave us distinctive action themes and slowed down romantic versions of the title theme and they hold their own with Barry's soundtracks.

I bloody hate 'Surrender' too. As great as the 60s title themes were we didn't need lame imitations of them in the nineties.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,709

I actually agree with this. But only because I fear my theatre had bad sound and deflated the music in favour of Eilish's vocals.

I presume Jimjambond was complaining about the same thing (the sound), because as far as I can remember, that one edit aside, the film version of the song is pretty much the same as the album version? I'll give it a close listen in my next watch.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria

without a doubt. Surrender ranks up there for me at the very top. "Backseat Driver" is also fantastic- I wanted to hear something like that in NTTD, just insane brass- but no.
    I'll take "Surrender" over almost anything they've come up with since 1997. It's my number one feel good Bond song.