Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Dr. Tanner. That's why he tried to warn Bond in the hallway "Look, i knew you two have a past, but i love her."
  • 2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    There was a rumor that Bond & Madeleine were going to get married in this film. I was wondering if Madeleine did marry, but to someone else. So when Bond and Madeleine meet again as you see in the trailer, Bond is surprised because Madeleine no longer goes by Dr Swann but a different last name.

I like this.....but aren't you just describing this exact situation:
    DwldA4JU8AAOOy6.jpg
    Though I do think it makes sense that in 4 years that Madeleine has moved on. Just as much sense as it makes for Bond to move on. But if they are pegging this film as a 'love story' - I imagine Bond will only flirt with Nomi and Paloma. Nothing consummated.

Though I do expect that Paloma/Bond scenes will be riddled with sexual banter. Especially with the ever-so filthy PWB writing the script.

giphy.gif

Also, speaking of Lea at the Oscars....Lashana was also at the Vanity Fair party:

Lashana+Lynch+2020+Vanity+Fair+Oscar+Party+uLmdHxMcqxUl.jpg

EQiqw8GWkAoP-xB.jpg
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Vanity Fair makes Ana De Armas their cover star. The profile contains new information on Paloma and NTTD

202003-ana-de-armas-embed02.jpg
    202003-ana-de-armas-embed03.jpg
    202003-ana-de-armas-embed04.jpg
  • Daniel316Daniel316 United States
    Ana De Armas is dang fine I tell ya. I have high hopes for her in NTTD, I just hope she won't get the Severine Treatment.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Don't expect more than 10-15 minutes of screen time for De Armas. Her role is basically an extended cameo based on comments from everyone involved.
  • Daniel316Daniel316 United States
    I feared that, then again we've only seen her in 1 outfit so I guess I shouldn't be surprised
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah, whether she survives or not is another story. But she definitely won't appear into the second act.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I actually kinda like that she's only in one sequence with one outfit. It kinda reminds me of the Bond girls of old who would have small scenes but make a huge impact :)

And a bonus is that Paloma is gonna badass. I feel like she'll be the most redeemed secondary Bond girl. Solange, Fields and Severine while enjoyable in their sequences ended up dead, Lucia gave informaton, slept with Bond and then was never seen again.

Paloma it seems will actually be involved in the action with Bond, with some comedic banter here and there. Love it. So while her role may be small, I still think she'll be a Bond girl to remember :)
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,185
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I actually kinda like that she's only in one sequence with one outfit. It kinda reminds me of the Bond girls of old who would have small scenes but make a huge impact :)

And a bonus is that Paloma is gonna badass. I feel like she'll be the most redeemed secondary Bond girl. Solange, Fields and Severine while enjoyable in their sequences ended up dead, Lucia gave informaton, slept with Bond and then was never seen again.

Paloma it seems will actually be involved in the action with Bond, with some comedic banter here and there. Love it. So while her role may be small, I still think she'll be a Bond girl to remember :)

She and Bond need to have a flirt at some point. When they go their separate ways, the audience should be thinking "they could have, and they would have, and they should have." Anything else would be a waste.
  • leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    Ana and Léa are the new ambassadors of Chopard more photos on the Polish Vogue website

chopard-ana-de-armas5.jpg

chopard-lea-seydoux.jpg

chopard-ana-de-armas4_1600.jpg

chopard-lea-seydoux5_1600.jpg

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    00Agent wrote: »

She and Bond need to have a flirt at some point. When they go their separate ways, the audience should be thinking "they could have, and they would have, and they should have." Anything else would be a waste.

I wouldn't mind if they don't flirt. It would be more in line with Paula in THUNDERBALL, as there was no flirtation, just a bit of banter.
  • If the movie is 165 minutes - I suspect that whilst Ana De Armas's role will be the smallest of the 3 ladies, she will still get more screentime than both Severine and Lucia. There is just more movie to fill.

Plus we know something of Paloma's arc - she's a new CIA recruit who Bond underestimates as being a bit ditzy. But, in fact, she's a bloody grade-A assassin.

By the looks of the trailer, she has a proper action sequence (something you can't say about Severine or Lucia). I'd bet money that she plays a bigger role than we think. I reckon Ana's name was left out of the credits as her agents couldn't negotiate a better billing for her.

Maybe if Paloma works, we get her in Bond 26? If they continue this continuity of course.

EPEiv5AWsAUIKsT.jpg
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    If the movie is 165 minutes - I suspect that whilst Ana De Armas's role will be the smallest of the 3 ladies, she will still get more screentime than both Severine and Lucia. There is just more movie to fill.

Plus we know something of Paloma's arc - she's a new CIA recruit who Bond underestimates as being a bit ditzy. But, in fact, she's a bloody grade-A assassin.

By the looks of the trailer, she has a proper action sequence (something you can't say about Severine or Lucia). I'd bet money that she plays a bigger role than we think. I reckon Ana's name was left out of the credits as her agents couldn't negotiate a better billing for her.

Maybe if Paloma works, we get her in Bond 26? If they continue this continuity of course.

EPEiv5AWsAUIKsT.jpg

I didn't know that about her character, where did you here that mate?

I must admit I'm mixed on this, I was really happy to hear that Ana was cast because she is a fantastic actress, loved her in Hands Of Stone, Blade Runner and she stole the show in Knives Out, but I fear you're right and she will be similar to Severine in Skyfall. A small but crucial part of the film instead of being a major character throughout the film. Hopefully we don't feel disappointed she wasn't in it longer

I personally feel it's disappointing that they would cast a brilliant actress like Ana, who is a rising star, and give her a minor role when compared to Lea and Lashana.
    On the whole, I'm remaining positive, I'm really pleased she's been cast in Bond and can't wait to see her in the film. She looks beautiful in that dress and by the looks of the trailer she'll prove to be deadly
  • Jordo007 wrote: »
    If the movie is 165 minutes - I suspect that whilst Ana De Armas's role will be the smallest of the 3 ladies, she will still get more screentime than both Severine and Lucia. There is just more movie to fill.

EPEiv5AWsAUIKsT.jpg

I didn't know that about her character, where did you here that mate?

I must admit I'm mixed on this, I was really happy to hear that Ana was cast because she is a fantastic actress, loved her in Hands Of Stone, Blade Runner and she stole the show in Knives Out, but I fear you're right and she will be similar to Severine in Skyfall. A small but crucial part of the film instead of being a major character throughout the film. Hopefully we don't feel disappointed she wasn't in it longer

I personally feel it's disappointing that they would cast a brilliant actress like Ana, who is a rising star, and give her a minor role when compared to Lea and Lashana.
    On the whole, I'm remaining positive, I'm really pleased she's been cast in Bond and can't wait to see her in the film. She looks beautiful in that dress and by the looks of the trailer she'll prove to be deadly

Ana said it herself….essentially the story appears to be that Cary is friends with Ana and had her in mind for another project that didn’t work out. Subsequently, when he got the Bond job, he called her and said that he was going to write the role of Paloma specially for her. In the end, Phoebe wrote all of Paloma’s scenes……

It’s pretty much confirmed to not be a big role. In his interview with GamesRadar, Cary calls Ana’s role a ‘cameo’. I’m just glad she’s in it! After all, Monica Bellucci did a lot with her cameo in SP!

Meanwhile….Ana is not missing a beat and is very much on the press circuit for NTTD!!! It’s happening, people! Starting to feel very very real.

w300_q65.jpeg

w600_q65.jpeg
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @Pierce2Daniel thanks for clearing that up for me mate. I'm glad she's in it too

I can't wait for the press tour, it really starts to feel like it's happening when the interviews begin
    New photos of the new 007....

dims?resize=2000%2C2000%2Cshrink&image_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fos%2Fcreatr-uploaded-images%2F2020-03%2F5d20ca90-5ef5-11ea-affb-e8e7abb9575a&client=a1acac3e1b3290917d92&signature=7302574518616fd5eda1f0a1acfb91df00cdd5f3

EDnomi-20200304113730408.jpg

0G9A0683.jpg

New photos of the new 007....

dims?resize=2000%2C2000%2Cshrink&image_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fos%2Fcreatr-uploaded-images%2F2020-03%2F5d20ca90-5ef5-11ea-affb-e8e7abb9575a&client=a1acac3e1b3290917d92&signature=7302574518616fd5eda1f0a1acfb91df00cdd5f3

EDnomi-20200304113730408.jpg

0G9A0683.jpg

Sorry.I just dont find her attractive at all.And before anyone calls me racist,i thought Halle Berry was smoking hot in DAD.Im also still worried her role in the film will be a pure woke fest,especially with Phoebe waller i dont want to write any good roles for MEN Bridge on scrpting duties.
    She’s attractive in a cute way, but I don’t think EON was casting her for supermodel looks.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Univex wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I got an easy solution. Eon must have seen the online and general media reaction to this 'news'. Why not just rewrite Nomi's character and have her as 005 or some other 00. Bond returns to the service and his 007 code name is reinstated.

Problem solved. No controversy. No accusations of pandering to neo-feminist #metoo anti-men lesbians! ;) This is a Bond film - who cares about gender equality. If you want gender equality go watch another film.

Eon should scrap the female 007 angle from the plot. No big deal. Rewrites are common. Scrap female 007 and everyone (bar a few feminists that are just pretending to like the franchise but in reality don't give a hoot!) will be happy. Bond is 007. PERIOD. Don't waste your time trying to convince us 007 is someone else. He's not. He's Bond. =D>

Or...

...not.

This ongoing "debate" alone is why I hate the postponing of NTTD... /:)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,869
    You're right @fanbond123, we should just pander to close-minded, traditionalists who have no idea what progressive change is, and have no real idea on how attitudes towards to female characters in film needs to change because the way women have been written in the past in some cases has been unrealistic and is just a stupid fantasy for people who wouldn't no real women if they kicked them up the arse with a blade-tipped shoe.

From my own experience of what I've seen, I think some men just like their women dumbed down because it makes them seem easier to sleep with.

That's probably why people didn't like Nomi's line, because she's "too aggressive" and it's really "unattractive", although they'll happily watch Daniel Craig unattractively and aggressively beat the crap out of someone.

It does bother me sometimes that some people seem more concerned about whether Bond gets his dick wet than cool interesting characters :)

AND if you don't find Lashana Lynch attractive, it really doesn't matter. I'm sure you don't think every single Bond girl you've seen is your type, and also her attractiveness shouldn't be the reason you like her character... this is exactly what is trying to be changed.

Either way, they're not reshooting, and maybe just bump the breaks on your over the top, chicken little comments until you actually see the film :D
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,185
    You're right @fanbond123, we should just pander to close-minded, traditionalists who have no idea what progressive change is, and have no real idea on how attitudes towards to female characters in film needs to change because the way women have been written in the past in some cases has been unrealistic and is just a stupid fantasy for people who wouldn't no real women if they kicked them up the arse with a blade-tipped shoe.

From my own experience of what I've seen, I think some men just like their women dumbed down because it makes them seem easier to sleep with.

That's probably why people didn't like Nomi's line, because she's "too aggressive" and it's really "unattractive", although they'll happily watch Daniel Craig unattractively and aggressively beat the crap out of someone.

It does bother me sometimes that some people seem more concerned about whether Bond gets his dick wet than cool interesting characters :)

AND if you don't find Lashana Lynch attractive, it really doesn't matter. I'm sure you don't think every single Bond girl you've seen is your type, and also her attractiveness shouldn't be the reason you like her character... this is exactly what is trying to be changed.

Either way, they're not reshooting, and maybe just bump the breaks on your over the top, chicken little comments until you actually see the film :D

Sorry @Denbigh, i grew to like you but we do have our differences, and as far as your opinion goes i could not disagree more with you on this.

First of all i'm effing tired of going over this again and again, James Bond is a sexist mysoginist dinosaur and... - don't get your panties in a bunch just yet - there is nothing wrong with that.

He always has been, and he always will be, he is a stone cold killer, a drinker, a bit of a douchbag, and a chauvinist. The biggest lie we are telling ourselves is that there was any point in time that his attituds were "accepted". No they never really were, but back then people had less of a stick up their ass (or a social media platform to whine about "movies"). Even Fleming was called out by some critics for being a sexist, long before the movies even existed, just based off of his books (i partly agree, but that's not the point). I remember seeing a b&w interview clip with Connery from the 60's where a women asked him why Bond is so sexist, and he answered with a routine "it's just movies", that he must have practiced a lot at that time.

So since he always had been what he has been, not being consistent and true to his roots would be a death sentence to his integrity.

No one needs a save, politically correct Bond. If you can't live with that then just leave it be.

As for female characters being portrayed as dumb or weak, THAT was partly to blame on the 70's and the general tone these films had. Especially the Moore and later Connery films were full of dumb caricatures of people, like Pepper, Jaws in MR, and many many others... so naturally you would have some dumb caricatures of female characters as well, like Plenty or Goodnight, these actresses also never complained and are still proud of their parts and vocal ambassadors for Bond, so who are we trying to protect exactly?

EoN have looooong changed all that by fleshing the female characters out more and making the films more grounded and serious in tone, as far back as the 80's, we should stop talking about it, enough is enough. People need to stop jumping on the same media bandwagon that keeps on rolling into town every time a Bond film is about to be released.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,025
    @00Agent I’m not sure where you’re getting the idea that anyone is advocating for a “safer” Bond that’s kinder and gentler. Nobody has. At least not in this forum. Even Phoebe Waller-Bridge made it explicitly clear in an interview that she doesn’t want the Bond character to change and does not want to be made PC.

Fans are really griping about nonexistent issues.
    @00Agent I’m not sure where you’re getting the idea that anyone is advocating for a “safer” Bond that’s kinder and gentler. Nobody has. At least not in this forum. Even Phoebe Waller-Bridge made it explicitly clear in an interview that she doesn’t want the Bond character to change and does not want to be made PC.

Fans are really griping about nonexistent issues.

Ok so if you think that i am missing the point that @Denbigh was trying to make, please explain his point to me in your own words. Enlighten me with your bottomless wisdom about my intellectual shortcomings. I can't wait.
    Perhaps you should fix your attitude first. There’s no need to be antagonistic, we’re all fans here. The only people asking for a kinder gentler Bond are people who aren’t even Bond fans, people that don’t bother posting here.
    Perhaps you should fix your attitude first. There’s no need to be antagonistic, we’re all fans here. The only people asking for a kinder gentler Bond are people who aren’t even Bond fans, people that don’t bother posting here.

Ok, fine by me and i agree on your last point.

Also my response to Denbigh was not just about "a kinder, gentler Bond" but also about antiquated female representations from the past and why that was, because that's what he was talking about. Not sure you even read that part.

Anyway, bottom line is EoN has always been progressive. They don't get credit for it, instead SJW twitter is just constantly demanding more. Something that will not get any less no matter what EoN does, so they should never fall into the trap of pandering.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @00Agent None of what I said means Bond has to change, that doesn't mean the writers and the filmmakers shouldn't treat the women they write with respect either...

...and again giving Nomi the 007 number for this one film has no effect on his stance in that department. Bond is still going to sleep with women, and come off as a misogynist (as much as I don't really need my Bond to be a misogynist, I don't watch it for that) or whatever going forward, but the days of poorly written sacrificial lambs and unfortunately uncomfortable interactions (Severine, Fields, Lucia Sciarra) are no more, and they're gonna treat these characters with more respect, and have them represent the world we actually live in...

...and this stance doesn't have to be against Bond girls of the past, because they're definitely a lot of badass Bond women int the franchise, but those unfortunate traps the franchise has always fallen into are still there with more modern Bond girls, and now they're just gonna make a more active effort to make sure that doesn't happen.

While it may come across as a big revolutionary change because that's how the media presents things, it's genuinely just small things people can do to make their characters more interesting. Again, we liked Severine, Fields and Lucia Sciarra for some good reasons, but we also felt they were treated poorly by the script, and they fell into classic Bond girl traps that no longer feel relevant and comes across as bad representation.

Sorry I probably repeated myself a lot but yeah -
    @00Agent None of what I said means Bond has to change, that doesn't mean the writers and the filmmakers shouldn't treat the women they write with respect either...

...and again giving Nomi the 007 number for this one film has no effect on his stance in that department. Bond is still going to sleep with women, and come off as a misogynist (as much as I don't really need my Bond to be a misogynist, I don't watch it for that) or whatever going forward, but the days of poorly written sacrificial lambs and unfortunately uncomfortable interactions(Severine, Fields, Lucia Sciarra) are no more, and they're gonna treat these characters with more respect, and have them represent the world we actually live in...

...and this stance doesn't have to be against Bond girls of the past, because they're definitely a lot of badass Bond women int the franchise, but those unfortunate traps the franchise has always fallen into are still there with more modern Bond girls, and now they're just gonna make a more active effort to make sure that doesn't happen.

That is purely your personal opinion, which i again don't agree with.
    You must have skipped the part where Phoebe Waller Bridge said that EoN was doing a very good job on the Craig era female characters so far and she purely wants to add to that, instead of drastically changing anything. She will give these characters more depth (maybe) but people will have sex, and people will die.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

...and again giving Nomi the 007 number for this one film has no effect on his stance in that department. Bond is still going to sleep with women, and come off as a misogynist (as much as I don't really need my Bond to be a misogynist, I don't watch it for that) or whatever going forward, but the days of poorly written sacrificial lambs and unfortunately uncomfortable interactions(Severine, Fields, Lucia Sciarra) are no more, and they're gonna treat these characters with more respect, and have them represent the world we actually live in...

You must have skipped the part where Phoebe Waller Bridge said that EoN was doing a very good job on the Craig era female characters so far and she purely wants to add to that, instead of changing anything.
    Read the rest of what I wrote.

...and it may be my personal opinion, but it's obviously a real one for a lot of people, because we've had many discussions about the problems with these characters, and again we have had good Bond girls in the Craig-era - doesn't mean they're beyond problems that needed to be fixed and should be fixed going forward with future Bond girls.

It's not about being political correct, that's the media representation of it. It's just people wanted to create more interesting characters for these women, and to make sure they are not done disservice in the script, like many many Bond girls have, whether you liked them to a certain degree or not.

Again, Vesper Lynd, a great female character for the franchise. Severine was also great, but was done a disservice by the script as it went forward with certain scenes, and Fields was really done a disservice and is an obvious case of bad female character/writing

You must have skipped the part where Phoebe Waller Bridge said that EoN was doing a very good job on the Craig era female characters so far and she purely wants to add to that, instead of changing anything.
    Read the rest of what I wrote.

...and it may be my personal opinion, but it's obviously a real one for a lot of people, because we've had many discussions about the problems with these characters, and again we have had good Bond girls in the Craig-era - doesn't mean they're beyond problems that needed to be fixed and should be fixed going forward with future Bond girls.

It's not about being political correct, that's the media representation of it. It's just people wanted to create more interesting characters for these women, and to make sure they are not done disservice in the script, like many many Bond girls have, whether you liked them to a certain degree or not.

Again, Vesper Lynd, a great female character for the franchise. Severine was also great, but was done a disservice by the script as it went forward with certain scenes, and Fields was really done a disservice and is an obvious case of bad female character/writing

The one part i don't understand about this, and that always bugs me in more ways that i can count is, that even when people complain about "badly written female characters" in Bond films, no one ever even attempts to complain about badly written characters in Bond films period... as there are plenty of others to defend or complain about.

Bond is not Shakespear, characters get cut short, people get the short end of the stick, people die. Bond is the only suviving constant.

Reality is, this argument is mostly about pushing some sexism agenda.
    If the females don't die, it will be other characters to drive the plot forward (which People will complain less about because they have a penis, i guess)
    Sacrificial lambs will always be part of Bond. Spectre actually didn't have a female sacrificial lamb so you could say problem = fixed.

Anyway, it is actually pretty pointless to argue this point now before any of us have seen NTTD. I don't know what Phoebe will do that is so "revolutionairy", that we had to hear about it for month in the media as if nothing else matters about this film, but i can't wait to see.