New interview with Logan

Comments

LeChiffre wrote:
    I agree with Shark that DAF is probably the greatest script in the entire series. It's just a fantastic script, one of the most quotable Bond film. And I also agree that Moore in TMWTGG was closer to Fleming's Bond than Craig in either his movies.

Sorry, just split my sides laughing. I accept your dislike for Mr Craig (totally disagree but each to their own) but to say that DAF is the greatest script is surely inviting ridicule.

That's his way - he tried that on CBN and they voted him out. Might happen here, too. We'll see...its up to the people here...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,691
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Sorry, just split my sides laughing. I accept your dislike for Mr Craig (totally disagree but each to their own) but to say that DAF is the greatest script is surely inviting ridicule.

But DAF HAS a fantastic script... It's one of the most quotable Bond films, it's got the most memorable and colourful gallery of secondary characters... Yes there may be holes in the plot, but you have to understand that, as Shark said, DAF is marvelously entertaining farce. Maybe you don't like farce in Bond films, but IMO this farce is just so well written, much more well written than CR and QOS... since DAF fulfills a basic point of Bond films - be entertaining, funny, fun epic, witty.

You can laugh all you want, but you won't change my opinion that DAF is probably the best script in the franchise. I always have a good time when remembering the fantastic witty lines in my head.
  • LeChiffre wrote:

But DAF HAS a fantastic script... It's one of the most quotable Bond films, it's got the most memorable and colourful gallery of secondary characters... Yes there may be holes in the plot, but you have to understand that, as Shark said, DAF is marvelously entertaining farce. Maybe you don't like farce in Bond films, but IMO this farce is just so well written, much more well written than CR and QOS... since DAF fulfills a basic point of Bond films - be entertaining, funny, fun epic, witty.

You can laugh all you want, but you won't change my opinion that DAF is probably the best script in the franchise. I always have a good time when remembering the fantastic witty lines in my head.

They surely had lots of fun on set too. I mean, putting Charles Gray in drag clothes must have caused some big laughter on set. Not to mention the gay couple I would like to be (Love putting a scorpion in Jose Barrosso's neck =)) )
    At least Connery is in it I suppose. You obviously prefer the light hearted approach which is obviously totally different to the literary version or the more realistic and Fleming-based cinematic entries like Daylights, CR and QOS(not as good admittedly). The thing is Austin Powers has parodied Bond to death now so humour (if there has to be any)has to be a lot more sophisticated and subtle ie the Craig remark to the barman in CR or the balls-scratching putdown to Le Chiffre.
  • SharkShark Banned
    LeChiffre wrote:
    [. . .] to say that DAF is the greatest script is surely inviting ridicule.

Only from fools.
  • SharkShark Banned
    LeChiffre wrote:
    has to be a lot more sophisticated and subtle ie the Craig remark to the barman in CR or the balls-scratching putdown to Le Chiffre.

I hope you're joking. How is "the whole world's going to know you died scratching my balls!!!!" more sophisticated than "Well, I'm afraid you've caught me with more than my hands up?"
    Shark wrote:
    LeChiffre wrote:
    has to be a lot more sophisticated and subtle ie the Craig remark to the barman in CR or the balls-scratching putdown to Le Chiffre.

I hope you're joking. How is "the whole world's going to know you died scratching my balls!!!!" more sophisticated than "Well, I'm afraid you've caught me with more than my hands up?"

maybe something to so with the fact that Bond is facing a more perilous situation than just an American goon in Diamonds with a gun and can still laugh it off. Id rather be shot than be whacked in the family jewels with a huge ball of rope! And it's true to the book (albeit rope substituted for carpet beater as torture instrument). Dont think the film version of DAF has much in common with Fleming's version.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    *Oh look, a fire. And here's a can of oil. hmm. what should I do?*

Anyone who thinks slapstick DAF has anything to do with Bond, or is even a good Bond-movie, has another thing coming. The ' humour' is so spelled out you actually have to stop thinking before you understand it's meant as humour: "I have a brother too.""Small world."
    The gave the film so much attention they got cars sliding from one side of the alley to the other. I wonder what tht alley looks like. And which moonbuggy lost that wheel again?
    The only good thing about that movie is its soundtrack.

Now QoS on the other hand has just what it takes to be a Bond-film. It's humour is subtle and very British. "be carefull, she might have handcuffs." "I sincerely hope so!"
    And the film is flooded with it. Sure, some action sequences have some plotholes, but they're not so bad you can walk your rat through them.
    No, DAF is about the worst film. It was the worst until DAD came along. QoS however is excellent.

*humming " and it burns burns burns" and expecting personal attacks in 3...2....1...*
  • SharkShark Banned
    edited November 2011 Posts: 348
    LeChiffre wrote:
    [maybe something to so with the fact that Bond is facing a more perilous situation than just an American goon in Diamonds with a gun and can still laugh it off.

That's not wit, that's just desperation. Standard Special Forces trick for when under torture. It's dramatically more interesting I guess, but no where near as clever as the one liner in DIAMONDS.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Dont think the film version of DAF has much in common with Fleming's version.

Neither does the 2006 version of CR, aside from the bare bones of the plot. It's as if the screenwriters only read the Wikipedia synopsis of the novel, and went from there.

*Oh look, a fire. And here's a can of oil. hmm. what should I do?*

Anyone who thinks slapstick DAF has anything to do with Bond, or is even a good Bond-movie, has another thing coming. The ' humour' is so spelled out you actually have to stop thinking before you understand it's meant as humour: "I have a brother too.""Small world."
    The gave the film so much attention they got cars sliding from one side of the alley to the other. I wonder what tht alley looks like. And which moonbuggy lost that wheel again?
    The only good thing about that movie is its soundtrack.

Now QoS on the other hand has just what it takes to be a Bond-film. It's humour is subtle and very British. "be carefull, she might have handcuffs." "I sincerely hope so!"
    And the film is flooded with it. Sure, some action sequences have some plotholes, but they're not so bad you can walk your rat through them.
    No, DAF is about the worst film. It was the worst until DAD came along. QoS however is excellent.

*humming " and it burns burns burns" and expecting personal attacks in 3...2....1...*

Could not agree more my friend

• SharkShark Banned
    The ' humour' is so spelled out you actually have to stop thinking before you understand it's meant as humour: "I have a brother too.""Small world."

Not here I don't, though since IIRC you're Dutch (correct me if I'm wrong here) I can understand why it would take longer for the joke to register.

It's funny because of its irony. That's what the Craig lines lack. Sure, it's a very American humour, but so effing what? Bond films have also been a part American enterprise from the start.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Anyone who thinks slapstick DAF has anything to do with Bond, or is even a good Bond-movie, has another thing coming.

DAF has everything to do with Bond. Actually it's in my top 3 Bond films. QOS on the hand IMO has nothing to do with Bond, and is the worst film in the franchise by a fair margin.

For me DAF has fantastic script, one of the best in the franchise, and all your attacks won't stop me from having this opinion.
    Shark wrote:
    LeChiffre wrote:
    [maybe something to so with the fact that Bond is facing a more perilous situation than just an American goon in Diamonds with a gun and can still laugh it off.

That's not wit, that's just desperation. Standard Special Forces trick for when under torture. It's dramatically more interesting I guess, but no where near as clever as the one liner in DIAMONDS.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Dont think the film version of DAF has much in common with Fleming's version.

Neither does the 2006 version of CR, aside from the bare bones of the plot. It's as if the screenwriters only read the Wikipedia synopsis of the novel, and went from there.

Obviously the 2006 version couldn't mirror the novel 100% as Le Chiffre was a Smersh agent (hello, cold war is now over). Terrorism is clearly the biggest threat in the modern world but the basic narrative is pretty similar. "The job's done, the bitch is dead" is obviously lifted straight from the novel and delivered as coldy and effectively as Fleming would have envisioned. Having said all that, I still dont think DAF is the worst of the series. That "honour" has to go to AVTAK.

• SharkShark Banned
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Obviously the 2006 version couldn't mirror the novel 100%

Obviously, but I'm not asking for 100%, just something a bit better than a complete and utter bastardisation of Fleming.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I still dont think DAF is the worst of the series. That "honour" has to go to AVTAK.

Nah, I'd say it goes to TWINE or QOS.

Bond should be fun.

At least DAF and AVTAK have John Barry, which is more than what can be said for THE WORLD HAS HAD ENOUGH.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @shark and @DaltonCraig007 thanks for playing along!

sure there's some humour in DAF, I was just overstating to get reactions like the ones you both gave. But perhaps you failed to see yourself the humour in QoS, which indeed was far less obvious then you might expect (and far more British, and @Shark, yes I'm Dutch and the Dutch have more or less a similar sense of humour like the Brits, only often more vulgar. Yes, it can be).

I still believe what I wrote above though, QoS is far better made, has less plotholes and has far more British humour, which you might expect from a film about a British agent.
  • SharkShark Banned
    This is what I consider classic British humour.

If QOS was more like that, then I might actually watch again.
    I like TWINE cos its the most Fleming-esque of the Brosnan era. The title alone for one but also the villains motivation and parts of the soundtrack echo John Barry ie the Electra's theme. Anyway its good we all have a favourites and least favourites. I sincerely hope EON are reading all this for future improvements!

Shark wrote:
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Obviously the 2006 version couldn't mirror the novel 100%

Obviously, but I'm not asking for 100%, just something a bit better than a complete and utter bastardisation of Fleming.

LeChiffre wrote:
    I still dont think DAF is the worst of the series. That "honour" has to go to AVTAK.

Nah, I'd say it goes to TWINE or QOS.

Bond should be fun.

At least DAF and AVTAK have John Barry, which is more than what can be said for THE WORLD HAS HAD ENOUGH.

• SharkShark Banned
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I like TWINE cos its the most Fleming-esque of the Brosnan era.

I'd say GOLDENEYE is, but still, DIAMONDS is far closer in its embrace of the benign bizarre, oddball colourful characters, and sense of macabre. It also successfully recreates Fleming's take on post-war America.

On the other had TWINE is a miserable 2 n a half long lifetime channel drama, with inconsistent characterisation, visually drab, derivative wallpaper score (with a few decent tracks), piss poor acting, a lame M subplot (only needs the EastEnders theme to chime in) and tedious action setpieces. Bond at an all time low.

What I love about DAD, is that it's basically a great big middle finger to the maudlin pretensions of the previous film. It does what it says on the tin, and only seeks to entertain.
    @Shark I must admit, I prefer the Two Ronnies. Or Blackadder, or The Fast Show, or Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister, or Monthy Python...or........

but admittedly, the Brits can get as vulgar as the Dutch.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,399
    HASEROT wrote:
    If you read carefully, I didn't say anything basically. I just highlighted a quote from John Logan. So I do not understand why I am 'grasping at straws'. And to be honest, isn't it infectious to see a nerdy screenplay writer like John Logan working on 'Skyfall'? I actually like it. I can recall an interview with Michael G. Wilson from 1999, released shortly after TWINE. In that interview he admitted: "You actually have to be a fanatic, a nerd, to create the uttermost best Bond film."

don't play dumb with me sir.....

you were the one making a big deal about Blofeld returning.. and your little "AHA!" comment again gave you out that you were trying to prove that point - unless of course you had an 80s flashback which i highly doubt...

Blofeld isn't returning - let me say that again, so it can sink in a little...

Blofeld...

Who's rights still belong to McClory's estate...

...which means they cannot be used without consent or purchase, upon threat of legal rammifcations..

...IS NOT COMING BACK!

the end

First of all: You are wrong about the rights EON have. According to my post in here, http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/48009#Comment_48009 , EON officially possesses now rights to ALL Bond and Fleming related characters. I suggest you read this post carefully.

Secondly, don't call me....sir. I am a normal bloke. And there is no reason to patronize me like that.

No I am not wrong....

Videogame rights, based off preexisting Bond material might be, and are totally different than film rights, licensed to new creative properties or content.... of course past Blofeld and SPECTRE material are usable - if they weren't, then he would have to stricken from the previous films - wiped clean if you will - unless a huge royalties payment was to be made...

as I myself stated before, but you probably conveniently glossed over - using the likeness of a character, and playable option - strictly in a multiplayer shooter, is a lot different than using the character as the main enemy of the story (which is why the 2005 game FRWL had to use OCTOPUS instead of SPECTRE) - enough was changed with the story and content that it was quite possible it could've been looked at as new creative entity - not based 100% off the film, which would mean that EON and EA could not legally use those copyrighted names..

the lawsuit wasn't filed - and the won by McClory, until after DAF... once he won the rights to the character, name, and to (essentially) the script of Thunderball - thats when he began in haste to work on what would eventually become NSNA... by winning that lawsuit, Blofeld and SPECTRE are no longer considered Fleming property, or related characters - they are in sole possession of McClory - and now his estate

i've tried to look it up sir, and found nothing - i suggest you do the same........ the filming rights and properties to Blofeld and SPECTRE still reside with the McClory estate
    considering this thread is about john logan? you guys have made me laugh with your passionate views. i for one am just grateful that we have a new film to look forward too and discuss. However? The Bond films reflect the times that they are made in. So in a way you are all right. I have enjoyed all the films and could easily point out this and that about any of the movies but i don't. They are first class movie escapism in the best sense of espionage. All i hope for is a good story full of drama which compliments the action we can always expect.
  • tqbtqb
    RogueAgent wrote:
    considering this thread is about john logan? you guys have made me laugh with your passionate views. i for one am just grateful that we have a new film to look forward too and discuss. However? The Bond films reflect the times that they are made in. So in a way you are all right. I have enjoyed all the films and could easily point out this and that about any of the movies but i don't. They are first class movie escapism in the best sense of espionage. All i hope for is a good story full of drama which compliments the action we can always expect.

well said
    Germanlady wrote:
    That's his way - he tried that on CBN and they voted him out. Might happen here, too. We'll see...its up to the people here...

Stop sprouting crap about me. I am not a member of CBN.net. Who are you to say untrue sh*t on others ? Take your false accusations elsewhere and stop posting utter rubbish.
  • SharkShark Banned
    Germanlady wrote:

Stop sprouting crap about me. I am not a member of CBN.net. Who are you to say untrue sh*t on others ? Take your false accusations elsewhere and stop posting utter rubbish.

Germanlady thinks you're a user called Gravity's Silhouette.
    Yes well she/he can drop this stupid and untrue rubbish about me. I don't have time for rubbish and crap claims. A simple IP check from mods of this site and CBN would prove her rubbish claims are just unfounded bullsh*t.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Does Diamonds Are Forever's great humour mean the film as a whole suffered? Is it possible to have both great lines and plot in the same film or just one or the other, if so, who could deliver that script? It seems not many are backing Logan...
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Does Diamonds Are Forever's great humour mean the film as a whole suffered? Is it possible to have both great lines and plot in the same film or just one or the other, if so, who could deliver that script? It seems not many are backing Logan...

OP has great lines and plot... But often people like only one of these aspects of OP... Very hard to please everyone...

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    It's a shame India will not be part of Skyfall then, as modeling the new film after Octopussy may not have been such a bad idea. Octopussy was a very well rounded film and above average at that.
    Yes Samuel. But one problem with OP is that the film is cut in half. First half is pure Moore humour, and the second part is more tense and darker/serious... So fans of Moore fun may find part 2 too serious, and fans of more tense plot may find the first part too camp and comical... I love OP but I think the 2 parts could have been more even and more combined.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 1,497
    Shark wrote:
    Hopefully John Logan can prove you wrong.

I'm pretty sure Logan wrote an amazing screenplay and I'm also pretty sure it's nothing like DAF.
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think it's been done with GF and TB. And I think it can be done again with a deep understanding of the Fleming source material, the earlier films, and strong craft of writing.
    My concern for balancing drama and wit doesn't come from Logan though, but more so from Mendes. His film "Away We Go" to me was an akward mix of comedy and drama. But that's just one example, and I think his enthusiasm for the project speaks for itself...and that's another topic anyways...

As far as the script being "nothing like DAF" or QOS or TWINE or any past Bond film for that matter, well I'd like to see that crystal ball. If you don't care for the camp tone of DAF, LALD or TMWTGG, that's fine, but it doesn't mean everything about those films is a dud. What enthuses me about Logan's mention of past Bond films in the interview including DAF is that perhaps he has an understanding of the essence of what made those films entertaining. DAF, for all it's idiosyncrasies, does have clever dialogue such as the "Vintage Sherry" scene, or the "Provided the collars and cuffs match" or the "Morton Rothschild is a claret" line: there's a certain snobbery in those lines that are definitive of Bond's character. So no, Logan doesn't need to mirror the plot necessarily (i.e.: satellite lasers, moonbuggies, gay hitmen, villains in drags)--I don't think this is what is being argued here, but it would be nice if was able to inject the script with the spirit of wit found in those earlier films.