Favourite moment of humour in Craig's films?

edited November 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,370
Something that always surprises me is when people comment on the Craig films being dour or humourless. To me there are many great instances of humour in his films. What's your favourite?

Mine would have to be in the cab in Montenegro in CR, when Bond deadpans that Vesper's cover name is Stephanie Broadchest. Works great due to the idea of it (taking the piss out of the more ludicrous names), Craig's delivery (totally deadpan at first), and then Vesper's reaction. Even better is when Craig laughs and says "You're going to have to trust me on this!" as he hides the paper from her. Again, very funny, but it also shows the first cracks in the ice between them and also has character importance (the first mention of how importance trust is).

<b><font color=darkblue>This isn't News. Moved to Bond Movies /Disco</font></b>

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I have watched CR and QOS several times, and I have not found any bits of humour in either film... Perhaps the 'That last hand... nearly killed me' can pass as humour but I find it terribly unfunny.
  • Craig is a serious, more deadpan 007 than his immediate predecessors and moments of humor were few and far between from what I can remember in his two features

I've said it before but, one moment that clearly sticks out is when Craig is having his testicles violated by LeChiffre, and such nonsense as 'I have a little itch', and 'Now the whole world's gonna know that you died scratching my balls'

@-) This Is Not James Bond

I wouldn't call it humor, but it was genuinely unintentionally amusing and there were a few giggles from (probably some teenage girls) ,the audience sitting in close proximity to us at time of release when first watched

Fleming would of been spinning like a top..
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Yes the torture scene in CR was a farce. I find it difficult to see any humour in that scene. And yes @Baltimore_007, the lines Craig says in that scene are totally un-Bond.
  • Some said at the time that when you include such nonsense in a James Bond movie then you jeopardize the whole integrity of what the franchise stands for, which may have been lost on a younger audience or those not old enough to remember when Bond was stricty no nonsense (Connery pre Diamonds for the most part as the best example), and scenes such as what we have here would never have been included

Even Moore, for all his clowning around, particularly in his latter pictures, would never of had anything to do with it, and they would never have entertained the idea either
  • SharkShark Banned
    edited November 2011 Posts: 348
    The finger sucking scene in CR, and Bond's "little finger" dialogue later on. Hilariously inept.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think there are several humorous moments. One of my favourites is the way Craig takes care of the Germans' car and the 'guten Abend' later on.

Also, with Solange on top of him, asking him if she can ask a personal question, I love they way Craig responds that this might be an appropriate time.

These two came of the top of my head for now.
  • @Shark -heh, forgot about that. It's a pity that Craig, who sometimes gave us a real indentification with Flemings original character, was involved in such silly bits.

I said before he reminds me of Dalton sometimes, but you'd never see or hear Tim in such instances

Hopefully with the caliber of people involved in the next project they will keep it more faithful next time around and divert away from some of the nonsense bits as seen above
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited November 2011 Posts: 543
    I always found funny that after he goes into cardiac arrest and Vesper revives him, he says to her "Are you ok?"

Although, QoS seems like more of a serious film, I thought his line "I do hope so" when Mathis states Fields may have handcuffs was funny as well.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,422
    "The last hand..."

"Are you alright?" after Vesper saves him

Bond and Vesper take a taxi

and from QOS

"I dont have any friends"

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't understand the smashing of the whole CR torture scene. I found the dialogue to be very intense. Bond knows he may well die and spouts out what he does to either stall or to be a smart you-know-what at his last moments, we don't know for sure. I thought the dialogue in this scene showed Dan's acting prowess more than anything. He seemed genuinely insane.

As for other funny moments(which there are tons of by the way), I love when Bond is getting a tracer put into his wrist. The man there shoots it in his arm, and Bond turns and just mutters out "Ow". I find it very funny considering all the beating he had gotten before hand.

I also enjoy the scene with Bond and M in her flat. Bond has M on his burner about getting caught on camera in the Embassy and M throws the paper near Bond. Without any further dialogue between the two he says "I'll shoot the cameras first next time".

That's it for me until I next return. There are a ton of funny moments in Craig's Bond films.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    There is a lot of humor in Craig's films - but its so dry that people don't get it... or they have it out for the man and choose not to acknowledge it..

One of my favorite bits was in QOS, when M brings up that she got Mitchell an ashtray, and Bond replies "I don't think he smoked." - which makes M smash it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    HASEROT wrote:
    There is a lot of humor in Craig's films - but its so dry that people don't get it... or they have it out for the man and choose not to acknowledge it..

OW!!! Oh sorry, that was you hitting the nail on the head. #-o That is the issue with many anti-Craig fans.
    HASEROT wrote:
    One of my favorite bits was in QOS, when M brings up that she got Mitchell an ashtray, and Bond replies "I don't think he smoked." - which makes M smash it.

Great choice! Easily one of the funniest moments in QoS. The way Craig sneaks it in so slightly and how raged M is after is brilliant.
  • His I don't give a duck attitude is his funny. Throwing keys away, chucking his mate in the dumpster, and probably his finest funny - 'It's time to get out' and that's it really.

'Can you help me look for the stationery' is not funny ever.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited November 2011 Posts: 543
    I don't understand the smashing of the whole CR torture scene. I found the dialogue to be very intense. Bond knows he may well die and spouts out what he does to either stall or to be a smart you-know-what at his last moments, we don't know for sure. I thought the dialogue in this scene showed Dan's acting prowess more than anything. He seemed genuinely insane.
    It's like what everyone said that it doesn't seem like James Bond to say those things. I certainly get that feeling when watching that scene despite how great Craig was in it.
    HASEROT wrote:
    Good one. Forgot about that one.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 1,817
    Mathis to the Bolivian taxi driver: "cállate!"
    That makes me laugh, and also:
    "My friends call me Dominic"
    "I'm sure they do"
    which I think is the best one liner in the movie (an easy challenge anyway)
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    edited November 2011 Posts: 642
    @haserot Absolutely, everyone I have sat with watching QOS always looks at me gone out when I chortle at that bit. It's drier than Rivita but I love it.

Also revving the bike from between the riders legs "Well I missed!"
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The whole 'Bond upgrades his hotel' from Quantum Of Solace got a good laugh in the cinema. I really like that, quite funny too.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The whole 'Bond upgrades his hotel' from Quantum Of Solace got a good laugh in the cinema. I really like that, quite funny too.

Ah! The teachers on sabbatical turning into teachers on sabbatical who just won the lottery is one to always give me a crack. Great scene that I couldn't believe was in a Bond film. Bond could stay in operation in some of the dreariest places in the world but he couldn't stand a less than average Bolivian hotel? Anyway, great pick and great moment in QoS.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    His simple delivery of "no." When M questioned if he knew anything about Greene being found shot dead with motor oil in his lungs - always gets a chuckle out of me.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,442
    A very good humor scene in QOS be at the theater, when there making a subtil joke about DC his body from CR. The only humor scene CR have is the scene with the car.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,399
    What about in CR when the German man mistakes Bond for a vallet - and Bond throttles his suv into a railing - which smashes a bunch of cars and causes their car alarms to go off... the times I saw it in theater that always got a roar from the audience.
  • I always found the vodka martini line to be really funny. "Do I look like I give a damn?" Got a chuckle in the theatre from the audience when I was there.
    I liked in CR when he told M he knew what her first name was and she threatened his life if he ever spoke it out loud....

There the scene in CR where the guy was framed by Mathias and he got busted by the police / hotel security. Did you happen to notice that the patsy was Michael G Wilson? I thought that was fun.
  • Another great line from CR that killed everyone in the theatre - because it was funny but also because it showed how cool Bond was - was when Bond won the DB5 in Nassau. His little dig at Dimitrios - "Oh, and the valet slip..." was priceless.

I saw CR three times in the theatre - twice (in different cities) within the first month and then again in a second run theatre. All three audiences laughed at all of the things that have been mentioned above so when someone says that there's no humour in the Craig films I think it's a) willful blindness or b) they mean to say "humour that wasn't to my own personal tastes even though other people enjoy it".
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Bond re-entering the poker game - "Oh, I'm sorry. That last hand ... almost killed me." - which is quite possibly the funniest moment for Craig to date. It's just the way he deadpans every punchline (like when he upgrades his hotel in QUANTUM OF SOLACE) that I like about his humour. It's really dry, as if he's equal parts amused and bored by it.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,399
    I saw CR three times in the theatre - twice (in different cities) within the first month and then again in a second run theatre. All three audiences laughed at all of the things that have been mentioned above so when someone says that there's no humour in the Craig films I think it's a) willful blindness or b) they mean to say "humour that wasn't to my own personal tastes even though other people enjoy it".

thats how i see it now... willful blindness... and lets be honest, we all do it to things we don't like - but to generalize it, and say it in a way that comes off as everyone feels the same way, because thats how i feel, is a little narcissistic IMO... i get and understand that there are people here on this board who don't like Craig, even hate him - and will refuse to see anything positive he does in the role - people are people and they have their opinions, thats fine... but to generalize a statement by saying "there is no humor in Craig's Bond films"... sorry, but that couldn't be further from the truth.... he may not deliver it with a wink and smile like Sean, or lob it in like a softball pitch to get smashed like Roger, or do it with a tie straighten and gargle of the throat like Pierce - but it's there.. very dry, but it's there.... i guess with some, they just don't understand his delivery...

QOS had far more humorous bits than CR did easily - but the chosen few just chose not to see it... and they have their reasons.... and i guess that makes them intellectually superior to us. lol.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 4,619
    CR is full of humorous moments. I find it really sad if someone can't notice that.
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Bond re-entering the poker game - "Oh, I'm sorry. That last hand ... almost killed me."

It was mentioned at least twice in this thread before you...

The scene where the guy with the SUV that Bond crashed recognizes Bond at the bar always gets me. Also "we wouldn't want that would we" is a great moment
    "A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood."

not a laugher of a line - but a nice comeback... one of my favorites.
    HASEROT wrote:

Totally Agree With the whole comment.