No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Paul Haggis pitched that idea Vesper would have had a child she was protecting rather than an Algerian boyfriend, and EON rejected it.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 440
    007Blofeld wrote: »

I will bet you good money that at least one if not all three of those non-NTTD movies will move.

Godzilla vs Kong: This movie had rumours of poor test screenings last year, was already moved back even before the virus, and since the first Godzilla movie in this franchise underperformed and the second underperformed even more...

The Eternals: Given that the MCU's schedule now has quite a few gaps thanks to all movie/tv production shutting down, I could see this being pushed back to 2021 to help fill some space. Also, the fact that they may not be able to do reshoots or a lot of actual post-production until the quarantine ends could also lead to a delay.

Raya and the Last Dragon: I could see the argument for this being pushed back or staying where it is. As an animated musical children's film it would make for good counterprogramming against all the other movies but on the other hand, it may not get finished in time because of the quarantine.

NTTD: Seems the least likely to move given that unlike every other film here it's A- already done and B- the biggest movie in the entire month with a ton of hype already built up.

I actually think both Bond and Godzilla vs Kong will stay where they are and the others will move.

There's nearly two weeks between the above mentioned films which is ideal for them both and I don't think any film, Marvel or not, will want to be sandwiched in between them.

I do think there's a very good chance you could be right in as much WB might decide not to move GVK and essentially let it be crushed by Marvel and or Bond.

However, it's certainly not going to be a box office threat to either The Eternals or NTTD if they do come out in November. Since it's the direct sequel to a movie that made $386 million on a $200 million budget. [A flop to the tune of at least 50-100 million dollars.]

Of course, the other option, which I foolishly forgot about, is that Disney moves Black Widow into the Eternals slot in which case NTTD does have a little bit of real competition.

Or perhaps they all move, everything is still so in flux right now.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    New poster of Nomi spied on an Omega shop

EUQ9kgSXsAECQwM?format=jpg&name=medium
    Funny, I just see Naomi Harris in that picture.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,957

I will bet you good money that at least one if not all three of those non-NTTD movies will move.

Godzilla vs Kong: This movie had rumours of poor test screenings last year, was already moved back even before the virus, and since the first Godzilla movie in this franchise underperformed and the second underperformed even more...

The Eternals: Given that the MCU's schedule now has quite a few gaps thanks to all movie/tv production shutting down, I could see this being pushed back to 2021 to help fill some space. Also, the fact that they may not be able to do reshoots or a lot of actual post-production until the quarantine ends could also lead to a delay.

Raya and the Last Dragon: I could see the argument for this being pushed back or staying where it is. As an animated musical children's film it would make for good counterprogramming against all the other movies but on the other hand, it may not get finished in time because of the quarantine.

NTTD: Seems the least likely to move given that unlike every other film here it's A- already done and B- the biggest movie in the entire month with a ton of hype already built up.

I actually think both Bond and Godzilla vs Kong will stay where they are and the others will move.

I need to see Bond and Godzilla vs. Kong ! When's it out???

:D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

EUQ9kgSXsAECQwM?format=jpg&name=medium

Scroll left a bit.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    At the end of the day, no matter what the plot turns out to be, I’ll just be happy to see Craig play Bond one more time so I’ll try not to be so critical.

If the supposed leaked plot is true, hopefully it’s executed properly.
    00Heaven wrote: »
    With that supposed leak... Does anyone else get this vibe?
    Wasn't Quantum of Solace supposed to feature Vesper's kid or something and it got scrapped? Or was that just a rumour too?
    I think the point of contention was not the child in and of itself but that Bond left the child in an orphanage. I think it seemed inhumane or dispassionate to BB.
    Burgess wrote: »
    00Heaven wrote: »
    With that supposed leak... Does anyone else get this vibe?
    Wasn't Quantum of Solace supposed to feature Vesper's kid or something and it got scrapped? Or was that just a rumour too?
    I think the point of contention was not the child in and of itself but that Bond left the child in an orphanage. I think it seemed inhumane or dispassionate to BB.

Then perhaps this ending would make more sense. Bond and Madeleine raising a child who is obviously an orphan, being a clone.
    Paul Haggis pitched that idea Vesper would have had a child she was protecting rather than an Algerian boyfriend, and EON rejected it.

Yeah. Who would want to protect an algerian boyfriend.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    I like that plot but it is a bit fan fiction at the end. But Craig returning at all was a mistake, its going to be very difficult to write an ending which feels natural and "where things were heading" since technically the story was already completed when Bond and Madeline rode off together at the end of SP.

Same here think they are just pushing now.
    delfloria wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    @peter and @RichardTheBruce I'm certainly not talking about SPECTRE, EON does not only make 007 films.
    The spy film, "The Rhythm Section" produced by EON earlier this year, was a colossal flop and financial disaster.

And this will affect NTTD how exactly? Spectre was the 6th most succesful movie of 2015, right before Inside Out and right after Minions.

He was talking about the financial impact on Eon and MGM, that was the post he was responding to. NTTD being down on profit isn’t going to be great financial news for them after Rhythm Section, that seems reasonable to say.
    Lots of people knee jerking over things they haven’t read properly, come on guys.

Every big studio has had a flop in recent years.

I have so far not read anything constructive from "Defloria".

Regardless of the studio, EON itself obviously took a hit with the historic failure of "The Rhythm Section" and cannot be happy about NTTD's situation. I just wish they would focus exclusively on Bond. Dang, there I go being nonconstructive again. I'll try better in the future.

Yeah agree here too much stuff going on in the background. Hopefully Bond 26 will go back to simple plots.
    In B26; Bond goes rogue and will be working for the Chinese government... :-?

rAB3UU2.jpg

Bond doesn't work for communists.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    I'd take this with a BIG grain of salt but there's a leaked overview of NTTD's plot from 4chan. I know we see quite a few of these with every new Bond film, but this is the first one for NTTD that seems to fit with what we do know.
    Safin (Rami Malek) is a former member of SPECTRE. Believing that his extremist methods were dangerous, Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Christoph Waltz) ordered his assassination, but Safin survived, albeit heavily scarred, and disappeared. Over the following 20 years, he built an international criminal empire, relying on groundbreaking gene therapy to prolong his life. He crosses paths with James Bond (Daniel Craig) when he begins assassination SPECTRE's leaders following Blofeld's arrest by the MI6 in order to seize control of the organization.

Safin's plan is to use an algae-based bioweapon to wipe out humanity and repopulate the planet with genetically engineered cloned humans of his design. The Adam & Eve of Safin's Eden will be child clones of himself and Bond's lover Madeline Swann (Lea Seydoux), with whom he has been obsessed since meeting her as a young girl.

In Italy, James Bond (Daniel Craig) and Madeline Swann (Lea Seydoux) are attacked by SPECTRE while visiting the tomb of Vesper Lynd. Bond believes Madeline has betrayed him and they separate. One year later, Bond is living in Jamaica. Felix Leiter (Jeffrey Wright) recruits him to rescue Dr. Valdo Obruchev (David Dencik) from SPECTRE in Cuba. Bond later meets MI6 agent Nomi (Lashana Lynch), who has also been assigned to find Obruchev.

In Cuba, Bond meets Leiter’s protégés Paloma (Ana de Armas) and Ashe (Billy Magnussen). Bond and Paloma infiltrate a SPECTRE outpost and learn that a rival organization is killing SPECTRE’s leaders and stealing their resources. They rescue Obruchev and meet with Leiter in a boat, but are betrayed by Ashe, who is working for the new organization. Ashe kills Leiter and Paloma and kidnaps Obruchev. Bond survives and Nomi rescues Obruchev.

In London, Bond rejoins the MI6 to avenge Leiter and Paloma, and learns they have recruited Madeline as a consultant. Bond interrogates Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Christoph Waltz), who reveals that Safin (Rami Malek), a rogue SPECTRE operative with a secret connection to Madeline, leads the new organization. Nomi learns Safin stole Obruchev’s research on a new algae-based bioweapon.

Madeline reveals that, when she was a child, Safin came to kill her mother. Young Madeline fell into a frozen lake trying to escape, but was rescued by Safin, who abducted her and has been coercing her into helping him in exchange for sparing her mother’s life. Bond and Madeline locate Madeline’s mother in Norway, and she provides a clue to Safin’s whereabouts before Ashe and his men arrive, kill her and abduct Madeline.

Nomi volunteers to help Bond rescue Madeline. Blofeld helps them decipher Madeline’s mother’s clue and locate Safin’s lair in an abandoned diamond mine in Russia, where Madeline learns that Safin is planning to use Obruchev’s weapon to wipe out humanity and repopulate the planet with genetically engineered cloned humans. He has already made a girl based on Madeline’s DNA to be the Eve, and is making a boy based on own DNA to be the Adam of his New Eden.

Bond and Nomi infiltrate Safin’s lair. Bond is captured and brought before Safin, but manages to escape, disable the bioweapon and kill Safin, avenging Leiter and Paloma. Meanwhile, Nomi kills Ashe and rescues Madeline and Eve. The four escape before the facility explodes and reunites at a nearby beach, where Bond and Madeline reconcile and decide to raise Eve together, while Nomi returns to the MI6. Bond assures her that he’s never too far gone if they need his help again.

Darn. If that's not legit, then I don't know what is.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Ghostbusters and Morbius now join NTTD and a whole other set of films in delaying.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sony-delays-release-morbius-ghostbusters-due-coronavirus-1285759
    Ghostbusters and Morbius now join NTTD and a whole other set of films in delaying.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sony-delays-release-morbius-ghostbusters-due-coronavirus-1285759

Every day that goes by makes EON and MGM look smarter and smarter for their move.

With Tenet and Top Gun now squarely in the crosshairs, could you imagine if they delay as well and WW moves again?

After that initial blow of being the first to delay, NTTD could conceivably end up as the first 2020 blockbuster we actually see!
  • A round of applause for Eons insight and bravery. Is it really a Bond film if it isn't released in November?
    /s ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Soul, Tenet, Top Gun 2, Wonder Woman 1984, Jungle Cruise, Candyman, The Purge 5 and Free Guy will most likely be the next films to be delayed.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Scroll left a bit.
    To each his or her own.

Being that the movie will most likely deal with cloning, I think an interesting discussion to have on this forum would be the possibility that cloning is or is not a reality for today’s day and age. I’m guessing the writers did their research, so perhaps cloning isn’t as far fetched as it sounds. I’m no science expert, but I’m sure the technology exists.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    I like that plot but it is a bit fan fiction at the end. But Craig returning at all was a mistake, its going to be very difficult to write an ending which feels natural and "where things were heading" since technically the story was already completed when Bond and Madeline rode off together at the end of SP.

Same here think they are just pushing now.
    @peter and @RichardTheBruce I'm certainly not talking about SPECTRE, EON does not only make 007 films.
    The spy film, "The Rhythm Section" produced by EON earlier this year, was a colossal flop and financial disaster.

And this will affect NTTD how exactly? Spectre was the 6th most succesful movie of 2015, right before Inside Out and right after Minions.

He was talking about the financial impact on Eon and MGM, that was the post he was responding to. NTTD being down on profit isn’t going to be great financial news for them after Rhythm Section, that seems reasonable to say.
    Lots of people knee jerking over things they haven’t read properly, come on guys.

Every big studio has had a flop in recent years.

I have so far not read anything constructive from "Defloria".

Regardless of the studio, EON itself obviously took a hit with the historic failure of "The Rhythm Section" and cannot be happy about NTTD's situation. I just wish they would focus exclusively on Bond. Dang, there I go being nonconstructive again. I'll try better in the future.

Yeah agree here too much stuff going on in the background. Hopefully Bond 26 will go back to simple plots.
    In B26; Bond goes rogue and will be working for the Chinese government... :-?

rAB3UU2.jpg

Bond doesn't work for communists.

That was a joke.
  • DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Being that the movie will most likely deal with cloning, I think an interesting discussion to have on this forum would be the possibility that cloning is or is not a reality for today’s day and age. I’m guessing the writers did their research, so perhaps cloning isn’t as far fetched as it sounds. I’m no science expert, but I’m sure the technology exists.

If they could clone a sheep back in 1997 ...
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

If they could clone a sheep back in 1997 ...

Tomorrow Never Clones.
  • Physical (not social) distancing could have been practiced in cinemas - limit the amount of people in one showing and make sure that people are spaced far apart from each other - that's what happened when my mum went to see Emma just 4 days before cinemas shut in the UK.

I hope those of you who wanted NTTD and some of these other films to be delayed in the first place are happy. I know that, realistically, a vaccine is probably 12 - 18 months away but if you constantly think about the worst possible scenarios than they usually happen - self-fullfilling prophecy and all that. In terms of these new films being pushed back, a message is sent saying essentially 'Don't expect anything to go to back to normal anytime soon' - you can't even get some escapism from everything at the cinema! Who knows, things might be much better in the summer - I'd like to hope so! Pushing things, even somewhat trivial things as films back, affects people's outlook and gives no sense of hope to this situation - the world might as well just switch off now completely until 2021 at this point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,957
    Physical (not social) distancing could have been practiced in cinemas - limit the amount of people in one showing and make sure that people are spaced far apart from each other - that's what happened when my mum went to see Emma just 4 days before cinemas shut in the UK.

I hope those of you who wanted NTTD and some of these other films to be delayed in the first place are happy. I know that, realistically, a vaccine is probably 12 - 18 months away but if you constantly think about the worst possible scenarios than they usually happen - self-fullfilling prophecy and all that. In terms of these new films being pushed back, a message is sent saying essentially 'Don't expect anything to go to back to normal anytime soon' - you can't even get some escapism from everything at the cinema! Who knows, things might be much better in the summer - I'd like to hope so! Pushing things, even somewhat trivial things as films back, affects people's outlook and gives no sense of hope to this situation - the world might as well just switch off now completely until 2021 at this point.

It's all about priorities though. Yes it would be nice to give folks more hope etc. but when it comes to a choice between 'people feeling happy' and 'staying alive', the staying alive one trumps it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,034
    Physical (not social) distancing could have been practiced in cinemas - limit the amount of people in one showing and make sure that people are spaced far apart from each other - that's what happened when my mum went to see Emma just 4 days before cinemas shut in the UK.

I am the happiest that is possible under the circumstances, yes. As a lifelong fan, I'm not driven solely by a need to watch the film immediately, I want to see the film do as well as it can at the box office - especially if it's as good as it looks. If the change in date is necessary for that, I'm fine with it.

There are 24 other Bond films to watch in the meantime, as well as thousands of other films with which you can escape.

Films might be trivial to you, but its an industry that supports people, workers, their families. If big budget flicks were released and all of them bombed because of the current situation (which they would, even one in four seats were filled), studios would be forced to tighten their belts further and many more people would be affected by that over the next year while the industry got back on its feet.

I've felt this pinch personally already in the last month. So no, not a self fulfilling prophecy. It's just reality for those of us who wish to have perspective about why it's being done. Grow up.
    Can we put this whole streaming and delaying to 2021 "discussion" to an end now please?

This movie has had it's fair share of pointless drama on these boards, but now it's not even funny anymore.
  • Films are not trivial to me, the cinema is one of the few things that I leave my house for. I meant that as in, they are trivial compared to lots of other things in this world, but they are very important to people - especially in times like this.
    It's just reality for those of us who wish to have perspective about why it's being done. Grow up.

I do have perspective about why's it being done. Doesn't mean I don't have the right to feel angry, annoyed or depressed about it.

Some people on here (and especially some Bond YouTubers) who are trying to look on the bright side and say 'its now 7 more months of hype for the film!' - you do realise that that there isn't going to be 7 months of marketing between now and when the film comes out. The magazine articles and interviews are only coming out still because they were written and printed in advance of the film coming out in April - it will dry out soon and there will be very little marketing or new tidbits for months to come, if any at all. The Billie Eilish song has already plummeted down the charts and no longer seems to be played on Radio 1 in the UK - probably because it's a sad song during a sad time but still. Casual audiences will probably forget about the film for a while, and it will take a long while when the marketing does start up again to revive their interest in seeing it (that is, if the film actually does come out in November).

If it were up to me, I would release the film on streaming in the summer - give people some hope and something to look forward to in the summer - especially if this lockdown goes on for months.
    Can we put this whole streaming and delaying to 2021 "discussion" to an end now please?

This movie has had it's fair share of pointless drama on these boards, but now it's not even funny anymore.

I agree.........

Deadline: Plans to release Mulan and Black Widow online are 'hogwash.'
    https://deadline.com/2020/03/mulan-box-office-drive-in-theaters-coronavirus-dumbo-disney-1202895175/

Looks like it was just nonsense being pedalled by Grace Randolph. Though she is sticking to her word. She also things Disney are broke for some reason. Sure, they are having a very bad quarter, but 'broke?'

It's disconcerting that Sony have pretty much vacated their entire 2020 slate and moved into early 2021.

I'm fully expecting Top Gun 2 and Tenet to now move. Top Gun could play well in the same slot that Bad Boys 3 had this year. Meanwhile, Tenet could be a great Xmas blockbuster and Oscar player.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Films are not trivial to me, the cinema is one of the few things that I leave my house for. I meant that as in, they are trivial compared to lots of other things in this world, but they are very important to people - especially in times like this.
    It's just reality for those of us who wish to have perspective about why it's being done. Grow up.

I do have perspective about why's it being done. Doesn't mean I don't have the right to feel angry, annoyed or depressed about it.

Some people on here (and especially some Bond YouTubers) who are trying to look on the bright side and say 'its now 7 more months of hype for the film!' - you do realise that that there isn't going to be 7 months of marketing between now and when the film comes out. The magazine articles and interviews are only coming out still because they were written and printed in advance of the film coming out in April - it will dry out soon and there will be very little marketing or new tidbits for months to come, if any at all. The Billie Eilish song has already plummeted down the charts and no longer seems to be played on Radio 1 in the UK - probably because it's a sad song during a sad time but still. Casual audiences will probably forget about the film for a while, and it will take a long while when the marketing does start up again to revive their interest in seeing it (that is, if the film actually does come out in November).

If it were up to me, I would release the film on streaming in the summer - give people some hope and something to look forward to in the summer - especially if this lockdown goes on for months.

This is a waste of time.
  • Well I don't see you coming up with any positive or productive suggestions - you seem to be the most cynical and negative person on here.

I just thought on a James Bond forum of all places that there might be some people who understood or agreed with my feelings about this whole bloody situation.
    Films are not trivial to me, the cinema is one of the few things that I leave my house for. I meant that as in, they are trivial compared to lots of other things in this world, but they are very important to people - especially in times like this.

This is a waste of time.

Don't bother, son. [-X