No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Please no. I love what this cast has done, but if the next Bond is a new incarnation and not a continuation of the Craig universe, an entirely new supporting cast is called for.
    Give the next fella a clean slate.

+1
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 3,164
    Birdleson wrote: »
    A new slate will definitely hamper my loyalty. With every new Bond I've had a hard time keeping that emotional connection, those familiar faces have always helped. A big comfort for me is that there is a continuing cast connection going all the way back to my birth. It is the only dependable continuity we've had. Maybe that's superficial, but those are the type of things that "fandom" is built upon; things that touch us personally and stay with us and are meaningful sometimes just to us.

I get that but I don't think you can have it both ways - aside from maybe M staying on for a future actor's era as a different character (as was the case with Dench's).

Craig's run has firmly established itself as not only a rebooted timeline but a closed one, with its own narrative arc. Keeping anyone from the Craig era for the new guy would, for me anyway, undo what made the Craig run special.

If with the new guy they go back to the way they handled continuity before - just in the cast and broad strokes of Bond's past (eg Tracy etc) - then they can carry things like cast over as there isn't that story connection and narrative building between films. I don't think what you're saying is superficiality at all - ultimately we all have our opinions. but what would be would be great for peeps to let EON see this through properly...it's ultimately their call, their story to tell.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If Craig’s Bond has a definitive ending that would make it unlikely for the next actor to continue that continuity, then it makes sense to recast altogether next time. If it’s open ended though, they’ll probably keep as much of the cast while replacing those who will need.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    jake24 wrote: »
    Ryan wrote: »
    I think leaving Silva out of it and just carrying on from QOS would have been fine. Silva just feels kind of shoehorned in there. Unnecessary retcon, in my opinion, but it doesn't ruin SPECTRE for me.

And I get why it was done, not purely for the sake of making all of Craig's films tie together, but that it partially makes Blofeld responsible for M's death for giving Silva the means to go after her. If I would have made it neater, I'd acknowledge that Silva was more of a gun for hire than a full fledged member of SPECTRE. Blofeld saw that Silva had a huge grudge against the head of MI6, and decided he could be useful in his wanting to kill M.
    It doesn't have to be as black and white as "Silva was a SPECTRE agent", due to the fact that it isn't even explained beyond a mention of his name. What you're saying could very well make sense.

The very nature of Silva's character and his operation always had me convinced of what @MakeshiftPython said above, that's for sure. It makes sense in my head that SPECTRE simply set Silva on the right path, rather than him operating on their instruction. Mutual interests and all that. Though I agree, it's probably an unneccessary addition.

Without mentioning the fact that what happens in SF paves the way to the 9 Eyes Program. Destabilizing the MI6 was key for Blofeld to get the program approved and put C in charge. So I don’t see an unnecessary addition. Plus, knowing that Silva had SPECTRE resources behind his back makes the execution of his plan slightly more believable. The only thing I see is two movies that both benefit from this choice.
    If Craig’s Bond has a definitive ending that would make it unlikely for the next actor to continue that continuity, then it makes sense to recast altogether next time. If it’s open ended though, they’ll probably keep as much of the cast while replacing those who will need.

All the quotes from Barbara and Cary seem to suggest that it will be a pretty definitive ending, in so much that suddenly coming back into the service and pretending things are carrying on as it were would likely betray the approach of the Craig films. Key in “emotionally satisfying’ conclusion.

edited January 2020 Posts: 3,126
    antovolk wrote: »

All the quotes from Barbara and Cary seem to suggest that it will be a pretty definitive ending, in so much that suddenly coming back into the service and pretending things are carrying on as it were would likely betray the approach of the Craig films. Key in “emotionally satisfying’ conclusion.

So your saying things have to continue with all the things that happened with the Craig era because it would be disrespectful to his legency I don't think they care what happens after Craig and it won't be the same they will want to set a new style and path. Or I probably misinterpreted something.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Bringing back Dench was Martin Campbell’s decision. So if the next iteration is a different continuity whoever directs Bond 26 will probably have to make that call regarding bringing back previous actors.
  • I say bring 'em all back. It's all in how they are used in the story told. They're all great actors/actresses.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2020 Posts: 10,588
    I don't know if it would feel right having a 50 year old Naomie Harris flirting with a thirty-something Bond. Call me old fashioned.

I like the current cast a lot but I honestly can't see them returning post-Craig. Like others are saying, his era is a self-contained arc, and that doesn't apply to any other Bond era. Interesting times ahead for sure.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 565
    I don't know if it would feel right having a 50 year old Naomie Harris flirting with a thirty-something Bond. Call me old fashioned.

I like the current cast a lot but I honestly can't see them returning post-Craig. Like others are saying, his era is a self-contained arc, and that doesn't apply to any other Bond era. Interesting times ahead for sure.

Fair point about Naomie, granted it really depends on who the next Bond will be. They've really glammed her down in the Craig Bond films, so undo that and I think it could easily work. A cougar scenario could be an interesting twist (and Naomi has the beauty to easily pull that off).

Beyond Moneypenny, I don't see why any of the others wouldn't work. Granted if you're saying that they won't return because *they* don't want to, that's one thing. But if you're saying they won't because a new era should mean a reboot, respectfully, that's just an OCD Bond fan wet dream.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    antovolk wrote: »

Yes-- and-- yes.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Whatever shape or form the Mi6 team in Bond 26 ends up taking, am hoping they don't join Bond on his missions.....so Bond can retain that 'loner' secret agent feel he always had.

+1 it is for sure yeah I don't see a granny moneypenny again @jake24
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 1,215
    I have really enjoyed each and every member of the "scooby gang" thoroughly and think they've been excellently cast, but I think it's best we leave them in the Craig era. I'm not a fan of the retconning that went on in Spectre, but I think we'll have something very special to look back on once the Craig era is finished. I know a common criticism of his run is that we see an inexperienced, rough around the edges Bond in CR/QoS and an aging, over-the-hill Bond in Skyfall/SP without seeing him truly in his prime, but I think that's what makes this set of films unique.

We have 20 films of Bond in his prime, at the top of his game, it's interesting to be able to see Bond himself go through an arc and evolve from the beginning to the end of his career as a 00 agent, and it looks like in NTTD we'll get a small glimpse of what a post-MI6 Bond looks like as well. As with Bond himself, it's been almost just as exciting to see his environment change over the years, with the torch being handed from Olivia Mansifield's M to Gareth Mallory's M, and the introduction of Q, Moneypenny, M's traditional office, etc. They've been able to chart new narrative territory while reintroducing the familiar elements that we've grown to love in the franchise, and I happen to think they've done a pretty seamless job of that. As much as I love the current iteration of the MI6 team, I think carrying them over into the next actors tenure will undermine what makes Craig's continuity special.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Good point and the fact that supporting cast in this era has also added emotional weight to Craig's bond can create another problem. Moneypenny worked in field in SF and return to desk in SP happened first time in history. Although, Naomie looks pretty good for a woman in her 40s.
  • Entered. That would be a real treat.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Entered. That would be a real treat.

If entering is a treat, you should attempt re-entry as well.
  • Entered. That would be a real treat.

Re-entry requires a fee. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Just a penny.

Just a penny.

Every penny of it. =))
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2020 Posts: 2,541

The treasury has agreed to stake you in the game ;)
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Valhalla up close

• GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified

The treasury has agreed to stake you in the game ;)

I’ve never seen so much go out the door so quickly...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Alright that’s enough. [-X
    Children ;)
    DC and RM at the Lincoln Center American Songbook Gala held at Broadway Theatre in New York City wednesday evening

iCwqfYu.jpg
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Lashana getting make-up fixed today in London, make-up guy tagging post with Bond. Photo session apparently according to Lashana.

In the makeup chair today; makeup all done, @earlsimms2 puts the finishing touches to @lashanalynch’s hair. 🖤LOVE🖤 painting this face 🖤🤍🖤🤍 #lashanalynch #jamesbond007 #jamesbond #notimetodie #007 #bts #inthemakeupchair

Some new pics of Rami

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,979
    talos7 wrote: »
    Please no. I love what this cast has done, but if the next Bond is a new incarnation and not a continuation of the Craig universe, an entirely new supporting cast is called for.
    Give the next fella a clean slate.

If it's a reboot and especially if the next Bond is a lot younger, sure, I think they need to recast the entire supporting cast. (I can see the rationale for keeping Dench because she's that great an actress, but there's no need to do that again.). They kept the same M, Q, and Moneypenny for so long in the first 25 films because it was the same Bond character (and the same M and Moneypenny, until Dench).

If it's not a reboot, I don't see why we can't have the same M, Q, and Moneypenny, just as we did when we went from Connery-Lazenby.

I hope B26 is not a reboot. Having sat through one too many Spiderman films, I am sick of seeing the same origins storyline repeated over and over again, with minor variations. And even if they do it differently with a reboot, say, a typical office scene at the beginning of B26: "Hi, I'm Bond." "Hi, I'm Moneypenny," it would just feel like been there, done that. Show me something new.

I think B26 should carry on with the Craig continuity and mention the past only when the story warrants it (Vesper, although it's overdone lately; Blofeld, etc.). No need to hit the Brothergate note again--only we obsessive fans will remember that anyway.

Going forward, Eon should just ignore what didn't ultimately work from CR-SP, just as they did with Sylvia Trench.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    They should just reboot but not bother with origins just start it with Bond knowing M, Q and Moneypenny, start the next era as we are dropping in on an established Bond like Dr No started.

I just don't think carrying on this timeline after DC is gone is a good idea, although I feel this will be a full stop, so they'll have no choice.