No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Denbigh wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Just for the record... female double 0 agents are already canon in the franchise...

4yohgtc6xba31.png

There is nothing wrong with this. The kicker is that Nomi will be 007 specifically. It’s just weird for me to associate 007 with anyone but Bond. Still, some people are going way too far and being hateful about it in some corners.

+1 this is what people don't get.

But you've taken a step further @007Blofeld by saying its being done because of political influence and @Tuck91 is saying that a black woman as 007 makes him feel physically sick which is ridiculous...

@Denbigh , @Tuck91 's revulsion was simply revolting to anyone with half a brain. Period.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I don't see what the big deal is, Bond has temporarily lost his Double O status a few times. If Bond retired or lost his status permanently then logically someone else would become OO7, in Bond's universe we have had more than one different person as one of the other Double O's, so it's already been established that this can happen. Alas OO7 won't be retired like a football Jersey after Bond is done.

Realistically Bond will get his OO7 status back quickly

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns Will he though we don't know that? I didn't want to double post so this comment is for the thread: We can thank the tabloid garbage for this mess.

If true giving Nomi OO7 status they have IMO set her up to be either a villain or she will be killed or both.
    I don't see what the big deal is, Bond has temporarily lost his Double O status a few times. If Bond retired or lost his status permanently then logically someone else would become OO7, in Bond's universe we have had more than one different person as one of the other Double O's, so it's already been established that this can happen. Alas OO7 won't be retired like a football Jersey after Bond is done.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns Will he though we don't know that? I didn't want to double post so this comment is for the thread: We can thank the tabloid garbage for this mess.

If true giving Nomi OO7 status they have IMO set her up to be either a villain or she will be killed or both.

I believe you’re correct. Surely EON must know having someone other than Bond as 007 by the film’s end is just wrong. I have to say I’m very disappointed by some of the hateful comments I’ve read around lately (mainly other sites than here). Some people really are genuinely ugly about it.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I really think this is garbage the article something seems odd if it's the same person writing the same thing from back then to draw attention with no other sources to confirm it.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ok so just to sum up we have a James Bond film directed by Cary Fukunaga and written by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade with some heavy revisions done by Cary Fukunaga, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Scott Z. Burns, and cinematography by Linus Sandgren. We have a seemingly larger-than-life villain played by Rami Malek, with a possible Hannibal-esque interaction between Waltz' Blofeld and Madeleine Swann, and two new beautiful Bond girls, one of whom is a 00 agent and a mysterious woman played by Ana de Armas, with a plot with heavy stakes. I'm in.

Tried to skim thru comments to find: a) news ... and b) sanity
    So basically yeah this sums it up nicely.
    I'm all in for Bond 25. Looking forward to the trailer very much.
    Not concerned about anything, honestly. Roll on, Cary and crew. B-)

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    FoxRox wrote: »

I believe you’re correct. Surely EON must know having someone other than Bond as 007 by the film’s end is just wrong. I have to say I’m very disappointed by some of the hateful comments I’ve read around lately (mainly other sites than here). Some people really are genuinely ugly about it.

I have not read much to be honest, I don't tend to go on social media. And I skipped 150 comments since I last looked on this thread (this thread fills up with comments quick)

I am quietly confident we will get a good film, though I hope DC does leave after Bond 25 I am close to done with all his films having a connected if badly connected in some cases narrative arc. I don't think they will repeat the DC experiment with the next Bond. [-O<
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I do feel that Bond will be 007 by the end of the film ; but if this is Daniel’s curtain call, I can see M offering him his position back with MI-6 and Nomi graciously offering him the 007 designation. It’s incredibly tempting and he declines both.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm still holding out for a proper villainous femme-fatale but I don't think we're gonna get one.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    to simplify:

James Bond, Agent 007, has been retired for 5 years.

New agent will take over 007 assassin number. That's it-- that's all this means.

What Is. The. Big Deal??

This is still a Bond film and Daniel Craig will be the leading actor, playing the leading role.

This is a wrinkle of freshness that EoN (backed by their big distributor, Universal) throw at this community, and some go bonkers.

These "some", of course, would love the predictability of PTS; Credit Song; M's briefing; Q's briefing... and so on... perfectly clocked in at 2 hours to 2 hours and 10 minutes... with the "oh James" at the end...

But this predicability was killing the franchise in the 80s...

The Brosnan era got more lazy as it went along...

The Craig era may not be to all tastes, but each film has kept things fresh, but rooted in the mythology of James Bond.

If you don't like what you're hearing, then don't put your good money into something you don't believe in. You don't like this era? Or perhaps you did up til certain films? So just stop and get B25 on VOD. Simple as that.

But, sneaking suspicion dictates that most of the negative commentaries will see B25 at least two times, if not more, before it leaves the cinema.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    peter wrote: »
    to simplify:

New agent will take over 007 assassin number. That's it-- that's all this means.

What Is. The. Big Deal??

This is still a Bond film and Daniel Craig will be the leading actor, playing the leading role.

This is a wrinkle of freshness that EoN (backed by their big distributor, Universal) throw at this community, and some go bonkers.

These "some", of course, would love the predictability of PTS; Credit Song; M's briefing; Q's briefing... and so on... perfectly clocked in at 2 hours to 2 hours and 10 minutes... with the "oh James" at the end...

The Craig era may not be to all tastes, but each film has kept things fresh, but rooted in the mythology of James Bond.

If you don't like what you're hearing, then don't put your good money into something you don't believe in. You don't like this era? Or perhaps you did up til certain films? So just stop and get B25 on VOD. Simple as that.

But, sneaking suspicion dictates that most of the negative commentaries will see B25 at least two times, if not more, before it leaves the cinema.

I agree.

Honestly, the big deal is that people are still racist/sexist.

Replace Lynch with Aidan Turner as the new 007 and we wouldn't see the reaction we have today.
    In other news...

IMDB has added the cast member Andrew G. Ogleby as MI6 Worker (Uncredited) :)
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    The real culprit is misleading headlines and normies on social media (who are either racist/sexist or SJW outrage fetishists) not actually reading the articles they have strong opinions about.
    Minion wrote: »
    The real culprit is misleading headlines and normies on social media (who are either racist/sexist or SJW outrage fetishists) not actually reading the articles they have strong opinions about.

Yes. Many don’t even bother to read the articles. Not to mention, most people seem to be on an extreme side of either racist/sexist or SJW/PC rather than looking at it in any objective sense.
    echo wrote: »
    to simplify:

What Is. The. Big Deal??

I agree.

Hold on, let’s not paint with a broad brush; while there may be a small number driven by racism and or sexism, most are motivated by preference not prejudice.
    Now I’m not saying they’re right or wrong but most don’t want any one other than Bond to be 007.
    talos7 wrote: »
    to simplify:

What Is. The. Big Deal??

I agree.

Hold on, let’s not paint with a broad brush; while there may be a small number driven by racism and or sexism, most are motivated by preference not prejudice.
    Now I’m not saying they’re right or wrong but most don’t want any one other than Bond to be 007.

+1
    I have seen a lot of ugly, hateful comments still. Just depends on the individual. I want Bond - a white man as created by Fleming - to be 007. But in theory the experiment may work, as long as it’s done well and Bond is 007 by the end again.
    to simplify:

What Is. The. Big Deal??

I agree.

Replace Lynch with Aidan Turner as the new 007 and we wouldn't see the reaction we have today.

Dismissing all arguments as racist and sexist is the tactic of a mental midget. Shame on you.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Seems like just yesterday this was the most positive thread on MI6. Oh wait. It was yesterday.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    There is much more that can go wrong with this movie than this. Waltz returning is more problematic for the franchise than this little codename change, which might not even be permanent by the end of the film. At least this piece of information got people interested and will probably get way more bums on seats, whereas Waltz returning generated hardly any buzz. People didn't really care.

Yes. This 'Lynch is the new 007' gimmick and how it is handled is really a non-issue compared to how they will handle the return of the big brother Blofeld. That's the thing I'm worried about the most.

In an interview for Deadline in 2015, Sam Mendes said EON will try doing something different with every new film, so we better stop hoping we'll get an old-fashioned 'Bond on a mission' story. I'm not sure I'm liking that, I was kinda hoping to see such a film again, but that's not going to happen any time soon. Not even when a new actor takes over.

Bond temporarily losing his code number could be nothing compared to what awaits us in the years to come.

I will always prefer the Connery films, but let's be honest - making films like that is impossible in the 21st century, so experimenting may be the best thing going forward.

I just hope Bond's past won't play the part after Craig's departure.

There is much more that can go wrong with this movie than this. Waltz returning is more problematic for the franchise than this little codename change, which might not even be permanent by the end of the film. At least this piece of information got people interested and will probably get way more bums on seats, whereas Waltz returning generated hardly any buzz. People didn't really care.

Yes. This 'Lynch is the new 007' gimmick and how it is handled is really a non-issue compared to how they will handle the return of the big brother Blofeld. That's the thing I'm worried about the most.

In an interview for Deadline in 2015, Sam Mendes said EON will try doing something different with every new film, so we better stop hoping we'll get an old-fashioned 'Bond on a mission' story. I'm not sure I'm liking that, I was kinda hoping to see such a film again, but that's not going to happen any time soon. Not even when a new actor takes over.

Bond temporarily losing his code number could be nothing compared to what awaits us in the years to come.

I will always prefer the Connery films, but let's be honest - making films like that is impossible in the 21st century, so experimenting may be the best thing going forward.

I just hope Bond's past won't play the part after Craig's departure.

That's definitely not encouraging news.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126
    to simplify:

What Is. The. Big Deal??

@peter What happens to Bond and the 007 number like the franchise just will really have an identity crisis whether for or against. Things can change but some things need to stay the same or you get a mess. Let's have Bond killed off M gone Q gone and just have Naomi do solo missions by herself and call the Noami or whatever her character name is and call it James Bond 007.
    to simplify:

What Is. The. Big Deal??

@peter What happens to Bond and the 007 number like the franchise just will really have an identity crisis whether for or against.

This very well could be isolated to Craig’s Bond.
    The next incarnation, timeline, will be complete detached from this series of events.

talos7 wrote: »
    to simplify:

What Is. The. Big Deal??

@peter What happens to Bond and the 007 number like the franchise just will really have an identity crisis whether for or against.

This very well could be isolated to Craig’s Bond.
    The next incarnation, timeline, will be complete detached from this series of events.

I hope so
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    c62a6rdfki7k.gif
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 677
    Straying from the formula is no more a guarantee of greatness than sticking with the formula. I commend them for trying but some changes are for the worse (Brothergate). It all comes down to the quality of the writing in the end. A Bond movie can be about "Bond on a mission" while still having surprises in the way the story develops; so I don't really buy that we have to get rid of that, by having him going rogue or retiring or pretending to be dead at the start of every movie. Now that can get old.

I too am ready to stop dwelling on Bond's past. I'm totally for giving him dimension as a character, but to connect the villain to his history in any way is when it starts getting too contrived and I hope Spectre is the last time we see something like that. You can develop him through the events over the course of the film like Casino Royale did.

As for Nomi being 007. Well first of all I'm trepidatious about it's legitimacy, it's from the DailyMail and it isn't Baz. Second, I'm in a wait and see approach, because I can see good conflict and repartee coming from it, but I'm worried it's not going to have the effect they want it to have on the skeptics who think Bond movies are a relic and Bond needs to be played by a woman or POC. I've already read some say this is EON working their way around those criticisms. Let's just say it's gonna be a tricky thing to pull off, because as I've brought up before, it's not gonna be a great look if she is given this designation and then has to hand it over, especially if it's because she messes up on the job like Moneypenny did in SF. An even better question: why get all this chatter started (if it is indeed an intended official thing), if she's just a one and done Bond girl? Again, I don't see the skeptics falling for that.

Straying from the formula is no more a guarantee of greatness than sticking with the formula. I commend them for trying but some changes are for the worse (Brothergate). It all comes down to the quality of the writing in the end. A Bond movie can be about "Bond on a mission" while still having surprises in the way the story develops; so I don't really buy that we have to get rid of that, by having him going rogue or retiring or pretending to be dead at the start of every movie. Now that can get old.

I too am ready to stop dwelling on Bond's past. I'm totally for giving him dimension as a character, but to connect the villain to his history in any way is when it starts getting too contrived and I hope Spectre is the last time we see something like that. You can develop him through the events over the course of the film like Casino Royale did.

As for Nomi being 007. Well first of all I'm trepidatious about it's legitimacy, it's from the DailyMail and it isn't Baz. Second, I'm in a wait and see approach, because I can see good conflict and repartee coming from it, but I'm worried it's not going to have the effect they want it to have on the skeptics who think Bond movies are a relic and Bond needs to be played by a woman or POC. I've already read some say this is EON working their way around those criticisms. Let's just say it's gonna be a tricky thing to pull off, because as I've brought up before, it's not gonna be a great look if she is given this designation and then has to hand it over, especially if it's because she messes up on the job like Moneypenny did in SF.

+1
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d2bee8b78555a5a416b6b90&rid=giphy.gif
    And, just to clarify, don't take my post as an attack on the Craig era. I think Casino Royale and Skyfall were homeruns. But I have my frustrations as any Bond fan does, because in such a long-running franchise with many different iterations who wouldn't have their preferences? Some dislike the Moore era, some dislike the Brozza era, etc. I think some decisions are great and some are just not.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Just gonna leave this here.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Just gonna leave this here.
    You’re going to have to summarize for us, I don’t give YouTubers views.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 23,376
    The bottom line is the publicity machine is cranking up