No Time to Die production thread

Comments

The screen character has been evolving for years. Nothing new there.
    So...nothing new about the filming of Bond25...right?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126
    Getafix wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Bond wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »
    Bond wrote: »
    It also incontrovertibly puts to bed the codename theory. 007 is a number that can be assigned to anyone but James Bond is not a code name.
    Well technically all it does is decouple 007 from James Bond, it doesn't mean James Bond isn't still a codename. It's a pretty generic name after all, and you still have to account for how 6 different actors have portrayed the identically-named person spanning the 1960s to the 2020s.

They are actors playing a part in a movie.

So we just ignore the timeline issue? The Bond living in 1962 and surrounded by its signifying elements is the same person as the Bond living in 2020?

Bond is the same character but in a different world. Look I'm for change but sometimes change goes too far for my liking and certain things need to stay the same or things fall apart.

If you want to go down that road you can go back to LTK and Bond "going rogue" the first time.

Cubby was quite clearly generally happy to keep on ploughing the same field endlessly. MGW had wanted to do an origins Bond and reboot since at least TLD. It's frankly not surprising Cubby's kids wanted to mess with the formula. Anyone else would as well.

The Brosnan era was a creative dead end. I don't like a lot of what they've done with the Craig era but it's a lot better than the dreary sub-Moore parody we had between 95 and 02. Yes they could reinvent in a much more intelligent way but their desire to mix things up is very understandable.

@Getafix there is one difference they took the license away but never delve into mentioning someone taking it or what would happen to keep things "neutral" so they wouldn't have a marketing nightmare and be able to keep the story as is.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Depends how they depict Bond himself on screen. But think back to Dalton in LTK in 89 and even Brosnan was a million light years away from that characterisation. Brosnan's Bond was the archetypal metrosexual 90s male and yet people thing Craig is the bland PC Bond?
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Can we have a discussion page for the people who are excited about everything they're doing with Bond 25?

The Bond25 echo chamber thread? ;)
    If that's what it takes. I'm all for alternative opinions but this beyond just an opinion. This has gotten to the point where people are presenting opinions as facts. People seemed to have already decided Nomi being 007 for a whoever much of the film will not work and is just a gimmick before they've even seen the film and seen the idea in context.

Welcome to the world where everyone has different opinions. Whether you agree with them or not.
    I'm very used to it but when someone who compares the use of a black actress as the new 007 to a cheap, over-the-top stunt in a crappy James Bond film, that doesn't feel like an opinion, just more of an insult.

There is much more that can go wrong with this movie than this. Waltz returning is more problematic for the franchise than this little codename change, which might not even be permanent by the end of the film. At least this piece of information got people interested and will probably get way more bums on seats, whereas Waltz returning generated hardly any buzz. People didn't really care.

@Denbigh Because maybe that it is a gimmick people can have different opinions
    ...but what people aren't seeing is that in modern film industry, James Bond isn't as important to the general public.

The film industry is a business so of course they're gonna make these kind of decisions, but is that unbelievable to think that the producers and writers worked in harmony to create something that felt good for the story and also appealing to audiences that may not have necessarily gone to see Bond 25 in the first place. The more successful this film is, the more Bond films they can make. Just because you're turned of by it, you're still gonna see the film and maybe others will to, and who knows you might enjoy the idea in context.

I'm always up for people's opinions, but this stuff regarding the 007 codename being given to a black woman for ONE movie, is really not enough to write off the film already.

@Denbigh aren't we the ones that fill their pockets and if it's not important why keep making movies sell the thing to Disney or Universal then.
    Because the things still make money and are important to a lot of people, but as the film industry changes, the Bond franchise interest levels with people has dropped and are not doing as well as more popular franchises. Yes, Skyfall was really successful but that was in 2012 only two years after the proper start to the MCU and the industry has changed massively since then.

But also If you compare casting news of a Bond film to a Marvel or DC film, the latter will always gather a bigger interest because its not just huge Marvel/DC fans, its the general public.

So the Bond franchise needs to practise what it preaches and change with the times. ONCE AGAIN if a 00 agent quits in a modern-day world, specifically 2019/2020, the new replacement has an equal chance of being a man or a woman, and if when writing the script and considering changing the franchise, it makes sense that the new 007 would be a woman then bloody well do it and create some buzz and interesting character motivations and dynamics.

If they wanna get people to watch, they can't keep doing the same stuff. Spectre was 2 hours of homage, so why not make the follow-up as original as possible.

@Denbigh can't they think of anything creative then use politics to sell tickets no imagination like there are better ways like create a new secret agent to try to out duel Bond like the whole 009 thing from Spectre.
    I'm sorry to get all political myself but you can't just say a woman can't play this part because of "politics", because it's giving in to the SJW blah blah blah.

That's like saying "You shouldn't make Black Panther because of politics. You're just making a black superhero film because you're just trying to introduce more black characters into film so that you can sell tickets." It's not politics, the inclusion of a different nationality and culture in a film doesn't have to be considered politics.

"Oh no this woman can't play a role that narratively any gender could play because that's just the effect of SJW's and people wanting a black/female James Bond. Again, using politics to sell tickets." It's not politics, the inclusion of a different nationality and gender in a film doesn't have to be politics.

How are we meant to progress and move forward if people don't make decisions that are going to help progress and move forward whether you like it or not.

@Denbigh if you want progress change change all the genders of characters like and race and see how you much sense is left.

That's not even an argument for what you're trying to say. You're just ridiculously hypothesising.

James Bond without the codename is still James Bond.

Nothing about him as a person changes when you remove his codename.

@Denbigh you talked about black panther what if we made Black panther white oh that's not right is it I guess it is or let's make wonder women a man now men are relevant. Thanks for trying to trick me and change things up didn't work.
    But that doesn't apply. This isn't changing the gender of well-known character. James Bond isn't going to be a black woman in this film. He's going to be a muscled, blonde man called Daniel Craig. Nomi is her own character and has just gotten a realistic promotion into an empty position, and I'm not trying to trick you, I'm just using evidence of other properties to show that not everything has to be a "bad idea with a political agenda".

@Denbigh I know what you did and your cover up is to not bring it up pretty classic. ok so since you run the show we getting a new Bond logo 009 008 how we printing things or is Bond just out of the franchise and Naomi is the new agent how we go from here Ian Fleming doesn't matter too us anymore are taking his number and replacing him for the future of spy work. screw Bond we don't need him anymore.😉

Ok we're done now @007Blofeld because you're not even bothering to make realistic arguments :)

@Denbigh good because on my end you don't make any sense either and I'm not alone. 😊
    The code number (and it's just the code number, at least for a few minutes) is apparently something nobody should be allowed to toy away with.
    You've got that right. Like Spielberg's E.T. is a little cute being who wants to go home, and not every other alien who visits the planet.

Personally I am fine with the gimmick. Especially if she fails as a 00. It belongs to Bond.

But I think there are larger things at play here. It seems like there's a huge crowd screaming for the next Bond to be other than a white heterosexual male. So this is a way to test how it will pan out if they toy with the idea of having a black woman take center stage for a chunk of B25.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    The code number (and it's just the code number, at least for a few minutes) is apparently something nobody should be allowed to toy away with.
    You've got that right. Like Spielberg's E.T. is a little cute being who wants to go home, and not every other alien who visits the planet.

Personally I am fine with the gimmick. Especially if she fails as a 00. It belongs to Bond.

But I think there are larger things at play here. It seems like there's a huge crowd screaming for the next Bond to be other than a white heterosexual male. So this is a way to test how it will pan out if they toy with the idea of having a black woman take center stage for a chunk of B25.

@Zekidk bingo you hit the nail on the head. That's why it's a pointless gimmick that they should just avoid. +1
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,869
    So for the idea to work you have to make it redundant and more pointless than it could have been.

The second black Bond girl with Jamaican descent to fail as an agent. It's a great look. It worked the first time but doing it again just seems like you're asking for it.
    Univex wrote: »
    So...nothing new about the filming of Bond25...right?

I guess not
    This sounds like she's just going to be a new 00 and that Bond will be retired.

What I don't want is for Bond to be a supporting character. It's called a Bond movie.
    So for the idea to work you have to make it redundant and more pointless than it could have been.
    The second black Bond girl with Jamaican descent to fail as an agent. It's a great look.
    Yes, women, even white, working with Bond in the field, usually die, fail or end up kissing him seconds before the endtitles.

The second black Bond girl with Jamaican descent to fail as an agent. It's a great look. It worked the first time but doing it again just seems like you're asking for it.

Good point.

I don't know if it's been discussed here but is it possible Nomi dies on a mission and this is why Bond is brought back?

. Just because you're turned of by it, you're still gonna see the film and maybe others will to, and who knows you might enjoy the idea in context..

Watch me.

Disney thought that about Star Wars fans, on their way to a box office bomb in Solo and lower than expected attendance at their multi-billion dollar boondoggle theme park upgrades.

Frankly, I think Eon is just one more company in need of a rude awakening. Treating your fans like paypigs who will buy anything you make is a good way to go broke.

• DenbighDenbigh UK

Good point.

I don't know if it's been discussed here but is it possible Nomi dies on a mission and this is why Bond is brought back?
    That won't happen. Nomi has been sold as quite a large role in the film and feels like the main Bond girl, and they won't kill her that early in the story.

Good point.

That won't happen. Nomi has been sold as quite a large role in the film and feels like the main Bond girl, and they won't kill her that early in the story.

Fair enough. Is Bond going to be 007 again at the end of the film?
    echo wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the Twitter reactions? My god people are dense.

The user loanerbrain does have a fair point:
    "They are laying down the ground work so all the SJW's can push for James Bond to be replaced by whoever is not a straight white male."

Overblown.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0426/1045790-bond-producer-says-007-will-always-be-male/

Yep, Babs has said she's never going to make Bond a woman, so I think this is just going to be a one film thing given the special plot circumstances of Craig's last film and we'll be starting with a new guy next time.

Good point.

That's why you've gotta go see the movie. It's Craig's last one, so IDK if he's going to go back into retirement, return as 007, or even die.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    CountJohn wrote: »

Good point.

That's why you've gotta go see the movie. It's Craig's last one, so IDK if he's going to go back into retirement, return as 007, or even die.

My money’s on Bond is back as 007 at the end of the movie.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    MooreFun wrote: »

. Just because you're turned of by it, you're still gonna see the film and maybe others will to, and who knows you might enjoy the idea in context..

Watch me.

Disney thought that about Star Wars fans, on their way to a box office bomb in Solo and lower than expected attendance at their multi-billion dollar boondoggle theme park upgrades.

Frankly, I think Eon is just one more company in need of a rude awakening. Treating your fans like paypigs who will buy anything you make is a good way to go broke.

Exactly. EON sometimes need a course correction. Something which forces them to re-evaluate and remember what made the series great to begin with, because them seem on a tangent right now.
    They've given too much power to Craig IMO
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    CountJohn wrote: »

Good point.

With a slate of non-bond flops, Craig will sign up for just one more...i think he'll go when the 'holy grail' director is signed up for his 'last movie', yes we are talking Chris Nolan, it's going to happen.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343

Watch me.

Let's wait B25 box-office numbers.

For now, EoN last two Bond movies made such great numbers the franchise had never seen since Golfinger and Thunderball. Those are facts.

Regarding 25, they just found a potentially thrilling way - perfectly in line with the end of the previous movie - to put the hero of the story, JAMES BOND, in a situation he never had the chance to face in 50+ years of stories. That alone should be exciting.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No it won't. =))
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Five movies in 14 years time... In the Connery days we got five movies in 5 years time.
    How are we being treated as paypigs again?
    They should have just ended the run at Spectre and started over. 5 years is enough to cast a new Bond and write up a story.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    "They should have just sold the franchise to Disney in order have a Bond movie every two years" comments in 1, 2, 3...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Right, this thread has gone to shit.
    Right, this thread has gone to shit.

Predictably after the recent news though. Check out James Bond Reddit - it’s 100 times worse over there.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Five movies in 14 years time... In the Connery days we got five movies in 5 years time.
    How are we being treated as paypigs again?

I have no problem with quality content. The thinking of “we can do whatever we want, not care about pleasing our fanbase, and they’ll turn up anyway” is what I’m against.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Ok so just to sum up we have a James Bond film directed by Cary Fukunaga and written by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade with some heavy revisions done by Cary Fukunaga, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Scott Z. Burns, and cinematography by Linus Sandgren. We have a seemingly larger-than-life villain played by Rami Malek, with a possible Hannibal-esque interaction between Waltz' Blofeld and Madeleine Swann, and two new beautiful Bond girls, one of whom is a 00 agent and a mysterious woman played by Ana de Armas, with a plot with heavy stakes. I'm in.