No Time to Die production thread (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger San Demonique
    QBranch wrote: »
    Group-18.png?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

...credible sources.

With an icredible taste.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 29 Posts: 2,983
    NTTD won't go to streaming. Disney can afford the risk, EON and MGM can't.
  • edited March 29 Posts: 2,524
    Regardless of what you think of Grace, the fact that the theaters in China once again shut down must give one pause to consider that things may still be in bad shape by November. Move the date or stream, that will be a question for EON.

Considering how bad things are right now, why even wait until it's nearly November to make that decision? Why not consider putting it on streaming beforehand (maybe still during April - please)?

Probably because they've already factored everything in, allocated the marketing spend etc for a November release. Not much point, given the uncertainty, to make that decision so soon - and good for them, having made that move first. Maybe they re evaluate the situation before embarking on actually spending the marketing $$$ and restarting the campaign, which would probably happen in the summer.

Now the big question is, what happens come November. If cinemas don't reopen, I would genuinely think a premium VOD release is seriously on the table. But I think in either case something key to bear in mind is that the likelihood of any film hitting a billion or close to that at the box office when this situation has come and gone is fairly low, things might not get back to normal in that regard until 2021 even.

@Denbigh who said anything about streaming - that's the annoying thing, everyone is immediately assuming if it happens, it would be with an SVOD service... Question is - how long can MGM afford to delay this film's release given they don't have much else? That's equally as much of a risk, I'd argue, as a straight to home drop.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    Regardless of what you think of Grace, the fact that the theaters in China once again shut down must give one pause to consider that things may still be in bad shape by November. Move the date or stream, that will be a question for EON.

Considering how bad things are right now, why even wait until it's nearly November to make that decision? Why not consider putting it on streaming beforehand (maybe still during April - please)?

Probably because they've already factored everything in, allocated the marketing spend etc for a November release. Not much point, given the uncertainty, to make that decision so soon - and good for them, having made that move first. Maybe they re evaluate the situation before embarking on actually spending the marketing $$$ and restarting the campaign, which would probably happen in the summer.

Now the big question is, what happens come November. If cinemas don't reopen, I would genuinely think a premium VOD release is seriously on the table. But I think in either case something key to bear in mind is that the likelihood of any film hitting a billion or close to that at the box office when this situation has come and gone is fairly low, things might not get back to normal in that regard until 2021 even.

@Denbigh who said anything about streaming - that's the annoying thing, everyone is immediately assuming if it happens, it would be with an SVOD service... Question is - how long can MGM afford to delay this film's release given they don't have much else? That's equally as much of a risk, I'd argue, as a straight to home drop.

If the cinemas are still closed by November they can always just bump it back another few months, Fast and Furious 9 got pushed back by an entire year after all.

No matter how one spins it when it comes to a $150-300 million+ blockbuster, there's simply no way to fully recoup all the production and marketing costs via streaming or VOD. It's a very desperate last measure.
  • mtmmtm
    edited March 29 Posts: 2,493
    antovolk wrote: »

If the cinemas are still closed by November they can always just bump it back another few months, Fast and Furious 9 got pushed back by an entire year after all.

No matter how one spins it when it comes to a $150-300 million+ blockbuster, there's simply no way to fully recoup all the production and marketing costs via streaming or VOD. It's a very desperate last measure.

Yeah plus they'll be making another marketing spend on top of the one they started earlier in the year; the film is already down on profit before it's opened as it is.

Oooh, post no. 2,000 :)
    mtm wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »

Yeah plus they'll be making another marketing spend on top of the one they started earlier in the year; the film is already down on profit before it's opened as it is.

That's my thinking. There may be a streaming campaign that starts after the theatrical run, or something, but I just can't imagine a model where you make the kinds of profits through streaming that EON needs to make.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Univex wrote: »
    Why is she so…loud?

Compensation for not having a single worthwhile thing to say.

While you are right about the not having anything to say part. But her loudness is typical of Americans, I think. It's not just a Grace attribute.

Unnecessary.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ocean Club, Bahamas.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    NTTD won't go to streaming. Disney can afford the risk, EON and MGM can't.

Disney postponed everything. They too want the money from theatrical releases.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    echo wrote: »
    Why is she so…loud?

While you are right about the not having anything to say part. But her loudness is typical of Americans, I think. It's not just a Grace attribute.

Unnecessary.

Like most things he comes out with.
    echo wrote: »
    Why is she so…loud?

Unnecessary.

Like most things he comes out with.

You beat me to it.
  • edited March 29 Posts: 11,424
    Does anyone on here have any idea what the financial impact on EON and MGM might be if NTTD's release gets pushed back beyond November? I mean there's the remote possibility the world has returned to relative normality by November but globally I can't see this not impacting on the BO negatively even if it does come out at the end of the year.

Restrictions and fear are going to persist for a long time.

I can easily see them putting back the release even further.

I just don't see cinema attendances returning to normal by November if you think about the number of older fans who go to see Bond. Those people will be staying away en masse until there's a vaccine, which will be 12 to 18 months away.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Red_Snow wrote: »

@Red_Snow, and everybody else in here

Men's Journal: Craig's training for NTTD, pages 85-90

https://docdro.id/MxZTyXr
    Getafix wrote: »
    Does anyone on here have any idea what the financial impact on EON and MGM might be if NTTD's release gets pushed back beyond November? I mean there's the remote possibility the world has returned to relative normality by November but globally I can't see this not impacting on the BO negatively even if it does come out at the end of the year.

I just don't see cinema attendances returning to normal by November if you think about the number of older fans who go to see Bond. Those people will be staying away en masse until there's a vaccine, which will be 12 to 18 months away.

Could be considerable considering their last release was one the biggest failures in recent memory.
  • mtmmtm
    He's 52! There's hope for us yet :)
    delfloria wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

Could be considerable considering their last release was one the biggest failures in recent memory.

you may not like the film-- and many do not on this forum. But an $880 million take from the last film is NOT a failure; it suggests that many, many, many repeat viewers returning accumulated that number.

Insisting, @delfloria, that this release was "one of the biggest failure in recent memory" is quite frankly fake news. It's a lie. It may have not met your standards, and that's fine (Spectre currently ranks 21 out of 24 for me), but to call it "one of the biggest failures in recent memory" is a truth only in your rankings... Box office-wise it was a success and the majority of the audiences that came back time and again on repeat viewings to accumulate that $880 million tally may disagree with your insinuation that this film was a "failure".
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    "Creative misfire" is a term I've enjoyed using to describe it, lately.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    peter wrote: »
    you may not like the film-- and many do not on this forum. But an $880 million take from the last film is NOT a failure; it suggests that many, many, many repeat viewers returning accumulated that number.

Insisting, @delfloria, that this release was "one of the biggest failure in recent memory" is quite frankly fake news. It's a lie. It may have not met your standards, and that's fine (Spectre currently ranks 21 out of 24 for me), but to call it "one of the biggest failures in recent memory" is a truth only in your rankings... Box office-wise it was a success and the majority of the audiences that came back time and again on repeat viewings to accumulate that $880 million tally may disagree with your insinuation that this film was a "failure".
    Yup. Reality.

Separate from that, surely there are financial issues with the current state of the world and recovery from crisis. I expect it will affect box office.

Maybe to the point Daniel Craig comes back for one more mission, to "go out on a high".

@peter and @RichardTheBruce I'm certainly not talking about SPECTRE, EON does not only make 007 films.
    The spy film, "The Rhythm Section" produced by EON earlier this year, was a colossal flop and financial disaster.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe JK ROFLing
    peter wrote: »

Yup. Reality.

Separate from that, surely there are financial issues with the current state of the world and recovery from crisis. I expect it will affect box office.

Maybe to the point Daniel Craig comes back for one more mission, to "go out on a high".

That's been his plan since SP. It isn't working.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Nigeria
    SP wasn't a Box-Office failure, it was a Critical failure....although, am sure EON were thinking it's Box-Office would equal or surpass SF's. Maybe if SP was released after QoS(although, QoS' narrative would have had to change) SP might have made a Billion....considering how long Bond was absent after QoS, although I don't know if it would have been critically successful. It was just unfortunate that SP had to follow SF, Coz fans were looking forward to SP topping SF in all Areas. SP was of course financially successful....or else we won't be expecting NTTD. It just failed to capture that eventful 2012 behemoth feel that SF was able to attain.
    edited March 30 Posts: 2,938
    @peter and @RichardTheBruce I'm certainly not talking about SPECTRE, EON does not only make 007 films.
    The spy film, "The Rhythm Section" produced by EON earlier this year, was a colossal flop and financial disaster.

And this will affect NTTD how exactly? Spectre was the 6th most succesful movie of 2015, right before Inside Out and right after Minions.

@Mendes4Lyfe Trolling par excellence? opinions aren't facts.
  • I'd take this with a BIG grain of salt but there's a leaked overview of NTTD's plot from 4chan. I know we see quite a few of these with every new Bond film, but this is the first one for NTTD that seems to fit with what we do know.
    Safin (Rami Malek) is a former member of SPECTRE. Believing that his extremist methods were dangerous, Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Christoph Waltz) ordered his assassination, but Safin survived, albeit heavily scarred, and disappeared. Over the following 20 years, he built an international criminal empire, relying on groundbreaking gene therapy to prolong his life. He crosses paths with James Bond (Daniel Craig) when he begins assassination SPECTRE's leaders following Blofeld's arrest by the MI6 in order to seize control of the organization.

Safin's plan is to use an algae-based bioweapon to wipe out humanity and repopulate the planet with genetically engineered cloned humans of his design. The Adam & Eve of Safin's Eden will be child clones of himself and Bond's lover Madeline Swann (Lea Seydoux), with whom he has been obsessed since meeting her as a young girl.

In Italy, James Bond (Daniel Craig) and Madeline Swann (Lea Seydoux) are attacked by SPECTRE while visiting the tomb of Vesper Lynd. Bond believes Madeline has betrayed him and they separate. One year later, Bond is living in Jamaica. Felix Leiter (Jeffrey Wright) recruits him to rescue Dr. Valdo Obruchev (David Dencik) from SPECTRE in Cuba. Bond later meets MI6 agent Nomi (Lashana Lynch), who has also been assigned to find Obruchev.

In Cuba, Bond meets Leiter’s protégés Paloma (Ana de Armas) and Ashe (Billy Magnussen). Bond and Paloma infiltrate a SPECTRE outpost and learn that a rival organization is killing SPECTRE’s leaders and stealing their resources. They rescue Obruchev and meet with Leiter in a boat, but are betrayed by Ashe, who is working for the new organization. Ashe kills Leiter and Paloma and kidnaps Obruchev. Bond survives and Nomi rescues Obruchev.

In London, Bond rejoins the MI6 to avenge Leiter and Paloma, and learns they have recruited Madeline as a consultant. Bond interrogates Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Christoph Waltz), who reveals that Safin (Rami Malek), a rogue SPECTRE operative with a secret connection to Madeline, leads the new organization. Nomi learns Safin stole Obruchev’s research on a new algae-based bioweapon.

Madeline reveals that, when she was a child, Safin came to kill her mother. Young Madeline fell into a frozen lake trying to escape, but was rescued by Safin, who abducted her and has been coercing her into helping him in exchange for sparing her mother’s life. Bond and Madeline locate Madeline’s mother in Norway, and she provides a clue to Safin’s whereabouts before Ashe and his men arrive, kill her and abduct Madeline.

Nomi volunteers to help Bond rescue Madeline. Blofeld helps them decipher Madeline’s mother’s clue and locate Safin’s lair in an abandoned diamond mine in Russia, where Madeline learns that Safin is planning to use Obruchev’s weapon to wipe out humanity and repopulate the planet with genetically engineered cloned humans. He has already made a girl based on Madeline’s DNA to be the Eve, and is making a boy based on own DNA to be the Adam of his New Eden.

Bond and Nomi infiltrate Safin’s lair. Bond is captured and brought before Safin, but manages to escape, disable the bioweapon and kill Safin, avenging Leiter and Paloma. Meanwhile, Nomi kills Ashe and rescues Madeline and Eve. The four escape before the facility explodes and reunites at a nearby beach, where Bond and Madeline reconcile and decide to raise Eve together, while Nomi returns to the MI6. Bond assures her that he’s never too far gone if they need his help again.
    My God, that seems legit! :-O
  • mtmmtm
    JamesCraig wrote: »

And this will affect NTTD how exactly? Spectre was the 6th most succesful movie of 2015, right before Inside Out and right after Minions.

He was talking about the financial impact on Eon and MGM, that was the post he was responding to. NTTD being down on profit isn’t going to be great financial news for them after Rhythm Section, that seems reasonable to say.
    Lots of people knee jerking over things they haven’t read properly, come on guys.
    mtm wrote: »

He was talking about the financial impact on Eon and MGM, that was the post he was responding to. NTTD being down on profit isn’t going to be great financial news for them after Rhythm Section, that seems reasonable to say.
    Lots of people knee jerking over things they haven’t read properly, come on guys.

Every big studio has had a flop in recent years.

I have so far not read anything constructive from "Defloria".
  • edited March 30 Posts: 3,985
    A lot doesn't work in that plot synopsis, namely:
    • I believe someone has confirmed that Paloma does not die. I can't imagine they will kill any of the females in a post MeToo Bond film.
    • So Safin got his scars from a failed hit ordered by Blofeld? Odd, because teh trailer pretty much confirms that he got the scars after Madeleine shot him in the face.
    • Also, Safin's whole plot hinges on creating an 'Eden' where him and Madeleine can be children again. However, according to the plot description Safin is a grown man at the lake (who has been prolonging his life). So our lead villain is a peadophile who wishes he was a kid?
    • Bond doesn't meet Logan Ash in Cuba. He meets him in Jamaica. He arrives with Felix. In fact, last month's Total Film even reveals some dialogue that Ash has in the club with Fliex and Bond where he first gets the Cuba mission.
    • Bond and Madeleine raising a clone and calling her 'Eve?' That's even more risible than the CGI paragliding in DAD.

The only reason it seems accurate is because someone has meshed every single rumour and put it into the story. However, not every rumour can be true.
    edited March 30 Posts: 2,938
    • I believe someone has confirmed that Paloma does not die. I can't imagine they will kill any of the females in a post MeToo Bond film.
    • So Safin got his scars from a failed hit ordered by Blofeld? Odd, because teh trailer pretty much confirms that he got the scars after Madeleine shot him in the face.
    • Also, Safin's whole plot hinges on creating an 'Eden' where him and Madeleine can be children again. However, according to the plot description Safin is a grown man at the lake (who has been prolonging his life). So our lead villain is a peadophile who wishes he was a kid?
    • Bond doesn't meet Logan Ash in Cuba. He meets him in Jamaica. He arrives with Felix. In fact, last month's Total Film even reveals some dialogue that Ash has in the club with Fliex and Bond where he first gets the Cuba mission.
    • Bond and Madeleine raising a clone and calling her 'Eve?' That's even more risible than the CGI paragliding in DAD.

The only reason it seems accurate is because someone has meshed every single rumour and put it into the story. However, not every rumour can be true.

"What I believe" not equals fact. Your metoo comment is beyond silly, she was never confirmed to be more than a supporting character.

And if it turns out to be false, it's still pretty close to the actually plot. I think.

"What I believe" not equals fact. Your metoo comment is beyond silly, she was never confirmed to be more than a supporting character.

And if it turns out to be false, it's still pretty close to the actually plot. I think.

As far as I understand, PWB spoke about writing female characters that aren't there to just 'die.' She's spoken so much about the film, so I'll have t hunt for the interview.

source.gif

As far as I understand, PWB spoke about writing female characters that aren't there to just 'die.' She's spoken so much about the film, so I'll have t hunt for the interview.

source.gif

Did she explicitely said that no female characters will die?