No Time to Die production thread (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL
    In regards to the action sequences. I think there may be a bit of misdirection in the marketing as far as the prominence of the Matera action sequence given the overall reported screentime of the PTS. It may be the most prominently featured in the promotional materials but I wouldn't be surprised if the Norway chase sequence and invasion of Safin's lair surpass it in scope and screen time. There is A LOT of this movie we haven't even glimpsed yet, which is pretty unusual as the past Craig films could have been pieced together with relatively high detail from start to finish prior to release (largely due to leaks), but even after multiple delays we really only have a general idea of the order of locations visited and pretty vague guesses of plot beats and character motivatons (most of which don't have a ton of strong evidence).

Given the fact that to this point we've seen a lot of the same few sequences in a 2hr 40min film and the push that this is the "mission that changes everything", I've got reason to believe that there is a lot that has been withheld and much of what we have seen may play very differently with context.

Agreed. I really hope this film turns out to be nothing like the trailers (in the best way possible!)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    In regards to the action sequences. I think there may be a bit of misdirection in the marketing as far as the prominence of the Matera action sequence given the overall reported screentime of the PTS. It may be the most prominently featured in the promotional materials but I wouldn't be surprised if the Norway chase sequence and invasion of Safin's lair surpass it in scope and screen time. There is A LOT of this movie we haven't even glimpsed yet, which is pretty unusual as the past Craig films could have been pieced together with relatively high detail from start to finish prior to release (largely due to leaks), but even after multiple delays we really only have a general idea of the order of locations visited and pretty vague guesses of plot beats and character motivatons (most of which don't have a ton of strong evidence).

Given the fact that to this point we've seen a lot of the same few sequences in a 2hr 40min film and the push that this is the "mission that changes everything", I've got reason to believe that there is a lot that has been withheld and much of what we have seen may play very differently with context.

Agreed. I really hope this film turns out to be nothing like the trailers (in the best way possible!)
    Yes. Compared to SPECTRE where the majority of the best moments were revealed in the trailers, I feel the exact opposite is the case for NTTD.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @battleshipgreygt totally agree mate, I think there is a lot of this film we haven't seen yet.
    I really think the Cuba scene as well as that forest sequence we saw in the second trailer is going to be a highlight.
    The thing I've noticed is in a lot of the action in NTTD, it looks like Bond is really being tested and is almost on the back foot, which looks really promising
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

If we're looking at a 20-minute PTS, I'm going to guess that the last 5 of those are the Matera chase sequence, starting with
    the explosion at the cemetery

That leaves about 5 minutes in Norway and 10 minutes to establish Bond and Madeleine arriving in Matera.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    I’m personally looking forward to Bond infiltrating Safin’s lair, all decked out in tactical gear, etc. Looks like it’ll be a very intense and perhaps even emotional part of the film.
    I’m personally looking forward to Bond infiltrating Safin’s lair, all decked out in tactical gear, etc. Looks like it’ll be a very intense and perhaps even emotional part of the film.

And of that: Craig has said that the military sweater has some sort of importance. Can't wait!
  • edited March 16 Posts: 534
    I have absolutely no basis in research, fact, or reality for this, but I have this optimistic hunch that the October release date for NTTD is going to stick. I'm usually more cynical about these things, but my intuition is telling me it's going to happen. Of course, I've been wrong once or twice before in my life...
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @PDJamesBond I hope you're right my friend
    Hopefully we'll have a better idea of how likely that October release date will be, by the summer

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    How is Europe currently doing with the virus? I thought I had read yesterday things weren’t looking too good.
  • edited March 16 Posts: 3,135
    Here in Ireland, numbers skyrocketed after Christmas, another lockdown brought things down, but we have stalled. Plus vaccine rollout has been slow, with problems with supply.
    Theres a real fear that tomorrow, St. Patricks Day, people are going to lose the run of themselves and send us into a fourth wave!
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    How is Europe currently doing with the virus? I thought I had read yesterday things weren’t looking too good.

UK is still racing ahead of schedule, continental Europe hitting a snag with AstraZeneca....
    jake24 wrote: »

Yes. Compared to SPECTRE where the majority of the best moments were revealed in the trailers, I feel the exact opposite is the case for NTTD.
    That would be a first! I think all the "money shots" are in the trailer. The bike jump, the car tilting over in the Norway chase, the exploding boat etc.
    I fear that they must delay it again. America and UK might be ready for this film at its current release schedule. But I don’t think Europe will be able to fully vaccinated by that deadline.
    I fear that they must delay it again. America and UK might be ready for this film at its current release schedule. But I don’t think Europe will be able to fully vaccinated by that deadline.

The way Europe is going Craig will have not only retired from Bond but acting too when they'll be able to show the film.

Most of the core markets should be ready for the film come October - whether at full, 50%, or in some cases limited cinema capacity.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    About the order of the scenes in the film, wasn't there a rumour that the gun barrel
    would not open the film, in order to have the opening and Norway scene completely Bond-less and deliberately feel disjointed?
    so the order would be
    Opening Logos
    Norway Flashback
    Gun Barrel
    Matera
    Title Sequence
    Rest of the Film

Can anyone remember that rumour, or am I completely misremembering this? Or was this just fear that another artsy director would be messing with the gun barrel?
    About the order of the scenes in the film, wasn't there a rumour that the gun barrel
    would not open the film, in order to have the opening and Norway scene completely Bond-less and deliberately feel disjointed?
    so the order would be
    Opening Logos
    Norway Flashback
    Gun Barrel
    Matera
    Title Sequence
    Rest of the Film

Can anyone remember that rumour, or am I completely misremembering this? Or was this just fear that another artsy director would be messing with the gun barrel?

I think it's been discussed several times. Feels a little too gimmicky and it would contradict the Norway lake-to-adult Madeleine transition. Also, SP came so achingly close to a proper traditional opening (save for that completely unnecessary "The dead are alive" reference), that there's no excuse not to have a clean opening come Craig's 5th and final film.

It would not be the first Bond film to have no Bond in the PTS -- please revisit LALD, which not only had no Bond, but it was R Moore's FIRST Bond film, and he didn't even get into the PTS ! However -- it fit the story, and I don't recall any complaints.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Pretty wild to me that he'll have an entire run without one simple, classic gunbarrel to start one of his films.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    so the order would be
    Opening Logos
    Norway Flashback
    Gun Barrel
    Matera
    Title Sequence
    Rest of the Film

I think it's been discussed several times. Feels a little too gimmicky and it would contradict the Norway lake-to-adult Madeleine transition. Also, SP came so achingly close to a proper traditional opening (save for that completely unnecessary "The dead are alive" reference), that there's no excuse not to have a clean opening come Craig's 5th and final film.

I agree with it being gimmicky, and the transition being jarring. Listening to Zimmer's cue, I get the feeling that the music that plays after the Bond theme would fit Norway better than it would fit Matera.
    I really hope they don't mess with it too much.
    Since62 wrote: »
    It would not be the first Bond film to have no Bond in the PTS -- please revisit LALD, which not only had no Bond, but it was R Moore's FIRST Bond film, and he didn't even get into the PTS ! However -- it fit the story, and I don't recall any complaints.

The difference here being that if they would not put the gun barrel at the start, you wouldn't see Bond at all until 5 - 10 minutes into the film, and given the content of the scene, one would get a totally different feeling the moment they'd start watching it - LALD makes sure you know you're watching a Bond film by having the gun barrel despite Bond not being in the PTS.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Pretty wild to me that he'll have an entire run without one simple, classic gunbarrel to start one of his films.

I tried to research where that rumour came from, but couldn't find anything. However, I did find this bit, from Complex:
    Outside, Craig is dressed to the nines in a tuxedo and heavily armed, the sounds of gunfire intermittently ring out as he strolls down a street made to resemble Havana, Cuba, where the inciting incident of No Time To Die, Craig’s last adventure as 007 and the 25th(!) entry in the franchise, takes place. In actuality, we’re 17 miles west of London, on a lot at the famed Pinewood Studios, where Bond movies have filmed for the duration of the franchise. It’s a dreary, late-October Tuesday evening, and the energy on-set is bustling. For Craig, the end comes at the beginning. He’s just filmed the essential gun barrel sequence, the shot in every Bond film that cues up the opening credits, but director Cary Fukunaga is adamant that exterior shooting wrap tonight before a week’s worth of forecasted rain rolls in. Craig’s co-stars Ana de Armas and Lashana Lynch huddle up in parkas between takes. Costume designer Suttirat Anne Larlarb admits she’s only just completed some of the wardrobe the day prior. But if Fukunaga and his crew are feeling down to the wire, they certainly aren’t showing it.

That, combined with the title reveal video being shot in a similar turn-to-the-camera style, makes me think Bond might be in a tuxedo for the gun barrel. While not really traditional in the Connery sense, I think it'd be fun to see Craig in tux for the GB.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think I even spotted that he wasn't wearing one in the Spectre gunbarrel. I think he's looking pretty sharp there.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Why is everyone still debating how the film will open? It’s not that difficult for it to make sense. I can guarantee you it will go like this:

- Universal/MGM/etc. logos
    - Gun barrel opens up on Norway
    - Norway sequence plays out
    - Madeline falls under the ice
    - She emerges from the water in Matera
    - Bond senses something’s off with her

I think we can conclude her being under the water in Matera triggers some PTSD from her incident with Safin.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Why is everyone still debating how the film will open? It’s not that difficult for it to make sense. I can guarantee you it will go like this:

- Universal/MGM/etc. logos
    - Gun barrel opens up on Norway
    - Norway sequence plays out
    - Madeline falls under the ice
    - She emerges from the water in Matera
    - Bond senses something’s off with her

I think we can conclude her being under the water in Matera triggers some PTSD from her incident with Safin.

I would agree with all of this but I don't think Bond and Madeleine are in Matera yet. We will see them drive in to town and arrive at their hotel.
  • edited March 18 Posts: 80
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The SP gunbarrel was pretty traditional in my book, even with the silly 'dead are alive' caption. The first 20 were all pretty similar so I don't mind them experimenting with the sequence if it makes for a more effective opening. It's just the only one (so far) that really works without it is CR.
  • edited March 18 Posts: 14
    I’ve posted my gun barrel before. But anyone with a keen ear can tell that Zimmers gun barrel track takes us into Norway. The track instantly becomes sinister after the barrel portion.

Here it is again. People are too hung up on the length of the pre credits sequence. They will run as short or as long as they need to. It’s the emotional linch pin of the film. So they have to do the relationship justice to make you feel their parting at the train station which will lead into the song.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Looks like Craig will pop up as Bond in a Comic Relief sketch tomorrow night (although presumably only over Zoom as I guess he's stuck in NYC!)

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/daniel-craig-bond-red-nose-day-b1818882.html?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1616058655

newFile-3.jpg?width=640&auto=webp&quality=75

Looks like a pretty good version of the M's office set- is it the real thing I wonder?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited March 18 Posts: 2,485
    mtm wrote: »
    Looks like Craig will pop up as Bond in a Comic Relief sketch tomorrow night (although presumably only over Zoom as I guess he's stuck in NYC!)

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/daniel-craig-bond-red-nose-day-b1818882.html?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1616058655

Looks like a pretty good version of the M's office set- is it the real thing I wonder?

After airing it should be uploaded here I guess, Saturday or Sunday maybe

>> youtube.com/sportrelief/videos (embedding doesn't work, copy and paste)
    We need a Mendes cut of Spectre. It’s time.

Contraband wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

After airing it should be uploaded here I guess, Saturday or Sunday maybe

>> youtube.com/sportrelief/videos (embedding doesn't work, copy and paste)

The first Tate-Craig skit for Comic Relief was fantastic. This should be good.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    edited March 19 Posts: 492
    We need a Mendes cut of Spectre. It’s time.

I have long wanted to see the few minutes which were cut late in the process to have Spectres age rating lowered.