NTTD Gun Barrel Sequence OOO O O O

2456722

Comments

  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Posts: 544
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    IMO, the Bonds should always open with the gunbarrel unless you're watching NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN.
    If Eon were to continue to remove it, I'd be surprised they don't get rid of the title sequence tradition and theme song as well.
    If I want a film that doesn't have the gunbarrel, and other traditional elements I can always watch a DIE HARD movie or something.

    Eeeeeeeeeeexactly!
  • Posts: 5,863
    Absolutely, the gunbarrel should always be at the beginning. I can accept otherwise in the very particular case of CR, but QoS and SF should've started with it.

    After watching a video the other day (I believe it was posted in another thread), I'm convinced QoS would've started very effectively with the gunbarrel sequence, only set to the ominous Time to Get Out music, rather than the Bond theme. That would've been a much more reasonable break from tradition than not starting with the gunbarrel at all, and it would've flowed seamlessly into the car chase. Would've been a very easy change to make.



    Mendes' excuse for Skyfall not opening with the gunbarrel has always sounded absurd to me. "We didn't begin with the gunbarrel because it didn't fit with my opening shot." Well, how about adjusting your opening shot to fit the gunbarrel? They could've done that and omitted the dramatic Bond entrance on the hallway. By allowing enough time to pass between the end of the gunbarrel, and the beginning of the action in earnest, the scene would've flowed nicely. A few more seconds of out of focus, crossfaded, silhouette shots of Bond in the hallway would've served as the perfect bridge between the gunbarrel and the scene with Ronson.

    Spectre's gunbarrel sequence was a substantial improvement. It's not perfect and there are some breaks from tradition I don't care for, but it's still a kickass opening. One change I do love is having the lights go down after Bond fires. Great stuff.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 14,781
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Absolutely, the gunbarrel should always be at the beginning. I can accept otherwise in the very particular case of CR, but QoS and SF should've started with it.

    After watching a video the other day (I believe it was posted in another thread), I'm convinced QoS would've started very effectively with the gunbarrel sequence, only set to the ominous Time to Get Out music, rather than the Bond theme. That would've been a much more reasonable break from tradition than not starting with the gunbarrel at all, and it would've flowed seamlessly into the car chase. Would've been a very easy change to make.



    Mendes' excuse for Skyfall not opening with the gunbarrel has always sounded absurd to me. "We didn't begin with the gunbarrel because it didn't fit with my opening shot." Well, how about adjusting your opening shot to fit the gunbarrel? They could've done that and omitted the dramatic Bond entrance on the hallway. By allowing enough time to pass between the end of the gunbarrel, and the beginning of the action in earnest, the scene would've flowed nicely. A few more seconds of out of focus, crossfaded, silhouette shots of Bond in the hallway would've served as the perfect bridge between the gunbarrel and the scene with Ronson.

    Spectre's gunbarrel sequence was a substantial improvement. It's not perfect and there are some breaks from tradition I don't care for, but it's still a kickass opening. One change I do love is having the lights go down after Bond fires. Great stuff.

    Well said. Another pet peeve of mine I'd love corrected in B25 is the look of the gunbarrel graphic. I thought Kleinman did a wonderful job giving the image that three-dimensional texture for the Brosnan films. Although updated, it maintained the iconic look. What happened? In both QoS and SF it looks like something you'd see on a Saturday Night Live Bond parody skit rather than the real thing. I cannot believe SF's version was designed by the same man who did Brosnan's.
    Marginally better in SP if not too flat looking. I'll say I did quite like the blood hue in SP, though. I also liked the dimming lights, but would have preferred some swaying rather than the complete freeze and fade.
  • Posts: 416
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I must admit one of my highlights of the film was the gun barrel being back at the start but it opened onto a fade to black just felt underwhelming after Skyfall and even QOS opening shots

    I found QOS the worst opening. Skyfall was great, but i really liked it in spectre. It made sence and I liked to wording of the dead are alive. It made scene to fade with them going with that.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 4,043
    The fade to black is rubbish and just Mendes wanting to be arty and clever when his first and foremost thought should be I'm making a Bond film not an artistic statement.

    I'll take QOS and SF beginnings over SP's great then disappointing gun barrel, the opening of QOS gives me goosebumps as does SF, I'm afraid SPECTRE doesn't.

  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Posts: 544
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Absolutely, the gunbarrel should always be at the beginning. I can accept otherwise in the very particular case of CR, but QoS and SF should've started with it.

    After watching a video the other day (I believe it was posted in another thread), I'm convinced QoS would've started very effectively with the gunbarrel sequence, only set to the ominous Time to Get Out music, rather than the Bond theme. That would've been a much more reasonable break from tradition than not starting with the gunbarrel at all, and it would've flowed seamlessly into the car chase. Would've been a very easy change to make.



    Mendes' excuse for Skyfall not opening with the gunbarrel has always sounded absurd to me. "We didn't begin with the gunbarrel because it didn't fit with my opening shot." Well, how about adjusting your opening shot to fit the gunbarrel? They could've done that and omitted the dramatic Bond entrance on the hallway. By allowing enough time to pass between the end of the gunbarrel, and the beginning of the action in earnest, the scene would've flowed nicely. A few more seconds of out of focus, crossfaded, silhouette shots of Bond in the hallway would've served as the perfect bridge between the gunbarrel and the scene with Ronson.

    Spectre's gunbarrel sequence was a substantial improvement. It's not perfect and there are some breaks from tradition I don't care for, but it's still a kickass opening. One change I do love is having the lights go down after Bond fires. Great stuff.

    Well said. Another pet peeve of mine I'd love corrected in B25 is the look of the gunbarrel graphic. I thought Kleinman did a wonderful job giving the image that three-dimensional texture for the Brosnan films. Although updated, it maintained the iconic look. What happened? In both QoS and SF it looks like something you'd see on a Saturday Night Live Bond parody skit rather than the real thing. I cannot believe SF's version was designed by the same man who did Brosnan's.
    Marginally better in SP if not too flat looking. I'll say I did quite like the blood hue in SP, though. I also liked the dimming lights, but would have preferred some swaying rather than the complete freeze and fade.

    Apparently, they made a minimalistic gunbarrel design for QOS and SF because it was meant for the end. Hell, I was disappointed with the closing gunbarrel in SF, mainly after we had two posters prominently using the classic gunbarrel design.

    And I agree with Mendes' excuse being silly. His artsy soul came out and he forgot for a while he was making an official James Bond film, and that official James Bond films start with the gunbarrel.
  • Posts: 14,781

    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Absolutely, the gunbarrel should always be at the beginning. I can accept otherwise in the very particular case of CR, but QoS and SF should've started with it.

    After watching a video the other day (I believe it was posted in another thread), I'm convinced QoS would've started very effectively with the gunbarrel sequence, only set to the ominous Time to Get Out music, rather than the Bond theme. That would've been a much more reasonable break from tradition than not starting with the gunbarrel at all, and it would've flowed seamlessly into the car chase. Would've been a very easy change to make.



    Mendes' excuse for Skyfall not opening with the gunbarrel has always sounded absurd to me. "We didn't begin with the gunbarrel because it didn't fit with my opening shot." Well, how about adjusting your opening shot to fit the gunbarrel? They could've done that and omitted the dramatic Bond entrance on the hallway. By allowing enough time to pass between the end of the gunbarrel, and the beginning of the action in earnest, the scene would've flowed nicely. A few more seconds of out of focus, crossfaded, silhouette shots of Bond in the hallway would've served as the perfect bridge between the gunbarrel and the scene with Ronson.

    Spectre's gunbarrel sequence was a substantial improvement. It's not perfect and there are some breaks from tradition I don't care for, but it's still a kickass opening. One change I do love is having the lights go down after Bond fires. Great stuff.

    Well said. Another pet peeve of mine I'd love corrected in B25 is the look of the gunbarrel graphic. I thought Kleinman did a wonderful job giving the image that three-dimensional texture for the Brosnan films. Although updated, it maintained the iconic look. What happened? In both QoS and SF it looks like something you'd see on a Saturday Night Live Bond parody skit rather than the real thing. I cannot believe SF's version was designed by the same man who did Brosnan's.
    Marginally better in SP if not too flat looking. I'll say I did quite like the blood hue in SP, though. I also liked the dimming lights, but would have preferred some swaying rather than the complete freeze and fade.

    Apparently, they made a minimalistic gunbarrel design for QOS and SF because it was meant for the end. Hell, I was disappointed with the closing gunbarrel in SF, mainly after we had two posters prominently using the classic gunbarrel design.

    And I agree with Mendes' excuse being silly. His artsy soul came out and he forgot for a while he was making an official James Bond film, and that official James Bond films start with the gunbarrel.

    Pity the design didn't look like the poster version. I quite liked that rendition.
    I must admit Mendes' opening shot for SF that he sacrificed the gunbarrel for is my least favorite opening shot in the series. It's nowhere near as exciting to me as, say AVTAK's shot of Iceland and dot opening on the helicopter.

    Personally I find the blatant disregard for the gunbarrel in the Craig films disrespectful.
    At risk of sounding melodramatic I feel it's like spitting on Maurice Binder's grave.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Posts: 544
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Absolutely, the gunbarrel should always be at the beginning. I can accept otherwise in the very particular case of CR, but QoS and SF should've started with it.

    After watching a video the other day (I believe it was posted in another thread), I'm convinced QoS would've started very effectively with the gunbarrel sequence, only set to the ominous Time to Get Out music, rather than the Bond theme. That would've been a much more reasonable break from tradition than not starting with the gunbarrel at all, and it would've flowed seamlessly into the car chase. Would've been a very easy change to make.



    Mendes' excuse for Skyfall not opening with the gunbarrel has always sounded absurd to me. "We didn't begin with the gunbarrel because it didn't fit with my opening shot." Well, how about adjusting your opening shot to fit the gunbarrel? They could've done that and omitted the dramatic Bond entrance on the hallway. By allowing enough time to pass between the end of the gunbarrel, and the beginning of the action in earnest, the scene would've flowed nicely. A few more seconds of out of focus, crossfaded, silhouette shots of Bond in the hallway would've served as the perfect bridge between the gunbarrel and the scene with Ronson.

    Spectre's gunbarrel sequence was a substantial improvement. It's not perfect and there are some breaks from tradition I don't care for, but it's still a kickass opening. One change I do love is having the lights go down after Bond fires. Great stuff.

    Well said. Another pet peeve of mine I'd love corrected in B25 is the look of the gunbarrel graphic. I thought Kleinman did a wonderful job giving the image that three-dimensional texture for the Brosnan films. Although updated, it maintained the iconic look. What happened? In both QoS and SF it looks like something you'd see on a Saturday Night Live Bond parody skit rather than the real thing. I cannot believe SF's version was designed by the same man who did Brosnan's.
    Marginally better in SP if not too flat looking. I'll say I did quite like the blood hue in SP, though. I also liked the dimming lights, but would have preferred some swaying rather than the complete freeze and fade.

    Apparently, they made a minimalistic gunbarrel design for QOS and SF because it was meant for the end. Hell, I was disappointed with the closing gunbarrel in SF, mainly after we had two posters prominently using the classic gunbarrel design.

    And I agree with Mendes' excuse being silly. His artsy soul came out and he forgot for a while he was making an official James Bond film, and that official James Bond films start with the gunbarrel.

    Pity the design didn't look like the poster version. I quite liked that rendition.
    I must admit Mendes' opening shot for SF that he sacrificed the gunbarrel for is my least favorite opening shot in the series. It's nowhere near as exciting to me as, say AVTAK's shot of Iceland and dot opening on the helicopter.

    Personally I find the blatant disregard for the gunbarrel in the Craig films disrespectful.
    At risk of sounding melodramatic I feel it's like spitting on Maurice Binder's grave.

    You're not alone on that one!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 4,043
    As much as I like them, the gun barrel does not make it a better film.

  • Posts: 3,333
    The GB might not make it a better film but it sure gets the audience pumped and in the right mood when it appears at the beginning.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 13,042
    There's nothing like the feeling of seeing those scrolling dots and thinking to oneself, "Wow, I'm about to watch a new Bond film's end credits!"
  • Posts: 19,339
    QBranch wrote: »
    There's nothing like the feeling of seeing those scrolling dots and thinking to oneself, "Wow, I'm about to watch a new Bond film's end credits!"

    Yep ....total arrogance and disrespect for a 50 year film series.
  • Posts: 14,781
    bondsum wrote: »
    The GB might not make it a better film but it sure gets the audience pumped and in the right mood when it appears at the beginning.

    Right. Perhaps not a better film, but a better overall Bondian experience.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 13,042
    barryt007 wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »
    There's nothing like the feeling of seeing those scrolling dots and thinking to oneself, "Wow, I'm about to watch a new Bond film's end credits!"
    Yep ....total arrogance and disrespect for a 50 year film series.
    I wouldn't go that far. I don't mind it at the end of QOS, but not twice in a row.

    Anyway, I'm really hoping for what I mentioned earlier, with the scrolling dots to pause in the centre and give us a producers credit, since it might be MGW's last.
  • Posts: 5,863
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Absolutely, the gunbarrel should always be at the beginning. I can accept otherwise in the very particular case of CR, but QoS and SF should've started with it.

    After watching a video the other day (I believe it was posted in another thread), I'm convinced QoS would've started very effectively with the gunbarrel sequence, only set to the ominous Time to Get Out music, rather than the Bond theme. That would've been a much more reasonable break from tradition than not starting with the gunbarrel at all, and it would've flowed seamlessly into the car chase. Would've been a very easy change to make.



    Mendes' excuse for Skyfall not opening with the gunbarrel has always sounded absurd to me. "We didn't begin with the gunbarrel because it didn't fit with my opening shot." Well, how about adjusting your opening shot to fit the gunbarrel? They could've done that and omitted the dramatic Bond entrance on the hallway. By allowing enough time to pass between the end of the gunbarrel, and the beginning of the action in earnest, the scene would've flowed nicely. A few more seconds of out of focus, crossfaded, silhouette shots of Bond in the hallway would've served as the perfect bridge between the gunbarrel and the scene with Ronson.

    Spectre's gunbarrel sequence was a substantial improvement. It's not perfect and there are some breaks from tradition I don't care for, but it's still a kickass opening. One change I do love is having the lights go down after Bond fires. Great stuff.

    Well said. Another pet peeve of mine I'd love corrected in B25 is the look of the gunbarrel graphic. I thought Kleinman did a wonderful job giving the image that three-dimensional texture for the Brosnan films. Although updated, it maintained the iconic look. What happened? In both QoS and SF it looks like something you'd see on a Saturday Night Live Bond parody skit rather than the real thing. I cannot believe SF's version was designed by the same man who did Brosnan's.
    Marginally better in SP if not too flat looking. I'll say I did quite like the blood hue in SP, though. I also liked the dimming lights, but would have preferred some swaying rather than the complete freeze and fade.

    Personally, I like the look of the Spectre gunbarrel much, much better than QoS and SF's. It's very close to the original gunbarrels, and much more interesting to look at than the previous two gunbarrels. I agree that they have an "unofficial" quality to them. Generic-looking, not distinctive like the traditional ones. But Kleinman isn't necessarily the sole person to blame. Everybody answers to somebody, including him. Maybe he was asked to ditch the classic look.

    I love the Brosnan gunbarrel as well. Those blacks and whites dancing along the surface as Bond walks are great to look at.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Posts: 544
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I love the Brosnan gunbarrel as well. Those blacks and whites dancing along the surface as Bond walks are great to look at.

    My all time favourite gunbarrel sequence.

  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2019 Posts: 4,184
    In English there always said Theatrical release, so what about Theatrical gunbarrel...
    the blood going up insteed of going down like a theater curtain.

    https://streamable.com/zig5c
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Posts: 1,768
    I would love to see a Pierce style gunbarrel for Bond 25. Both in the way it looks and the slow swagger Daniel has doing it, hopefully he has the swagger he had during the Spectre PTS
  • everything_bondeverything_bond Station C
    Posts: 4


    What if they did this for Bond 25 or even to introduce the Daniel's replacement in Bond 26..... 2022 for the 60th perhaps?
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 19,339


    What if they did this for Bond 25 or even to introduce the Daniel's replacement in Bond 26..... 2022 for the 60th perhaps?

    In this day and age it would be laughed out of the cinema and ruin the film before it even started.
    You would expect Bond to roll across the screen in an ice cream van and fire a ‘99 ice cream at the screen.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,487


    What if they did this for Bond 25 or even to introduce the Daniel's replacement in Bond 26..... 2022 for the 60th perhaps?

    Awesome. Both of those first two are lovely.
  • Posts: 14,781


    What if they did this for Bond 25 or even to introduce the Daniel's replacement in Bond 26..... 2022 for the 60th perhaps?

    Cool seeing the Brosnan versions with the classic Binder design.
    I really would love to see the gunbarrel presented in it's full glory of the next film. Untampered with in any way with a solid rendition of the Bond theme to accompany it.
  • Posts: 104
    So, with the rumour of 007 being (I put it in spoiler-tags, altough it's merely speculation at this point), who do we think the gunbarrel stars in B25? Is the person in the middle Bond or 007? CR set the definition of having the 00-status gained, QOS fucked with that concept and SF just did something else. While SP returned to the classic meaning of the GB as indicating the start of a new 007 movie, I won't be surprised if we'll be surprised once more. Altough I don't want anything else than a prober GB at the start, artistically it would make sense to show
    Nomi
    in it. I don't think they'll do it, as it would spoil a better/funnier reveal in the PTS. So where will we see it? In the middle of the movie, when Bond is back?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Posts: 3,157
    mattjoes wrote: »
    This is brilliant.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,333
    Station_Z wrote: »
    So, with the rumour of 007 being (I put it in spoiler-tags, altough it's merely speculation at this point), who do we think the gunbarrel stars in B25? Is the person in the middle Bond or 007? CR set the definition of having the 00-status gained, QOS fucked with that concept and SF just did something else. While SP returned to the classic meaning of the GB as indicating the start of a new 007 movie, I won't be surprised if we'll be surprised once more. Altough I don't want anything else than a prober GB at the start, artistically it would make sense to show
    Nomi
    in it. I don't think they'll do it, as it would spoil a better/funnier reveal in the PTS. So where will we see it? In the middle of the movie, when Bond is back?
    I should imagine it'll have Nomi firing down the gunbarrel instead of Bond to gain it's full woke points. Seriously, if B25 has Nomi as 007 at the beginning of this movie then I'm giving this one a huge miss. And that'll be the first Bond movie I haven't seen upon release at the cinema starting with OHMSS right up to SP. Go woke, go broke.
  • Posts: 14,781

    bondsum wrote: »
    Station_Z wrote: »
    So, with the rumour of 007 being (I put it in spoiler-tags, altough it's merely speculation at this point), who do we think the gunbarrel stars in B25? Is the person in the middle Bond or 007? CR set the definition of having the 00-status gained, QOS fucked with that concept and SF just did something else. While SP returned to the classic meaning of the GB as indicating the start of a new 007 movie, I won't be surprised if we'll be surprised once more. Altough I don't want anything else than a prober GB at the start, artistically it would make sense to show
    Nomi
    in it. I don't think they'll do it, as it would spoil a better/funnier reveal in the PTS. So where will we see it? In the middle of the movie, when Bond is back?
    I should imagine it'll have Nomi firing down the gunbarrel instead of Bond to gain it's full woke points. Seriously, if B25 has Nomi as 007 at the beginning of this movie then I'm giving this one a huge miss. And that'll be the first Bond movie I haven't seen upon release at the cinema starting with OHMSS right up to SP. Go woke, go broke.

    I think the reverse is more likely. That would actually happen at the end of the film with Bond once again leaving the service. Then the gunbarrel could end the film in true effed up Craig era style with Nomi doing the honors. We could look forward to the next reboot actually being a Nomi- agent 007 series rather than Michael and Barbara having to go through the trouble of recasting Bond himself.
    Wouldn't that be annoying, if especially Eon made 25 Nomi films afterwards, and miraculously went back to the old 1-2 year schedule?
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 19,339
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    Station_Z wrote: »
    So, with the rumour of 007 being (I put it in spoiler-tags, altough it's merely speculation at this point), who do we think the gunbarrel stars in B25? Is the person in the middle Bond or 007? CR set the definition of having the 00-status gained, QOS fucked with that concept and SF just did something else. While SP returned to the classic meaning of the GB as indicating the start of a new 007 movie, I won't be surprised if we'll be surprised once more. Altough I don't want anything else than a prober GB at the start, artistically it would make sense to show
    Nomi
    in it. I don't think they'll do it, as it would spoil a better/funnier reveal in the PTS. So where will we see it? In the middle of the movie, when Bond is back?
    I should imagine it'll have Nomi firing down the gunbarrel instead of Bond to gain it's full woke points. Seriously, if B25 has Nomi as 007 at the beginning of this movie then I'm giving this one a huge miss. And that'll be the first Bond movie I haven't seen upon release at the cinema starting with OHMSS right up to SP. Go woke, go broke.

    I think the reverse is more likely. That would actually happen at the end of the film with Bond once again leaving the service. Then the gunbarrel could end the film in true effed up Craig era style with Nomi doing the honors. We could look forward to the next reboot actually being a Nomi- agent 007 series rather than Michael and Barbara having to go through the trouble of recasting Bond himself.
    Wouldn't that be annoying, if especially Eon made 25 Nomi films afterwards, and miraculously went back to the old 1-2 year schedule?

    If that happens then that's me done with the series.
    I will stick with Sean,George,Roger,Tim,and Pierce,and sometimes Craig.
  • Posts: 14,781
    barryt007 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    Station_Z wrote: »
    So, with the rumour of 007 being (I put it in spoiler-tags, altough it's merely speculation at this point), who do we think the gunbarrel stars in B25? Is the person in the middle Bond or 007? CR set the definition of having the 00-status gained, QOS fucked with that concept and SF just did something else. While SP returned to the classic meaning of the GB as indicating the start of a new 007 movie, I won't be surprised if we'll be surprised once more. Altough I don't want anything else than a prober GB at the start, artistically it would make sense to show
    Nomi
    in it. I don't think they'll do it, as it would spoil a better/funnier reveal in the PTS. So where will we see it? In the middle of the movie, when Bond is back?
    I should imagine it'll have Nomi firing down the gunbarrel instead of Bond to gain it's full woke points. Seriously, if B25 has Nomi as 007 at the beginning of this movie then I'm giving this one a huge miss. And that'll be the first Bond movie I haven't seen upon release at the cinema starting with OHMSS right up to SP. Go woke, go broke.

    I think the reverse is more likely. That would actually happen at the end of the film with Bond once again leaving the service. Then the gunbarrel could end the film in true effed up Craig era style with Nomi doing the honors. We could look forward to the next reboot actually being a Nomi- agent 007 series rather than Michael and Barbara having to go through the trouble of recasting Bond himself.
    Wouldn't that be annoying, if especially Eon made 25 Nomi films afterwards, and miraculously went back to the old 1-2 year schedule?

    If that happens then that's me done with the series.
    I will stick with Sean,George,Roger,Tim,and Pierce,and sometimes Craig.

    I doubt a Nomi- Agent 007 franchise would actually last but one film (if that). Audiences want to see Bond.

    The concept of Nomi appearing in the opening gunbarrel instead Bond might actually pi$$ me off enough to wait for the red-box DVD release instead of catching this one in cinemas. I said DVD as I doubt I'd find the film worth spending the extra dollar for the Blu-ray version by that point.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Moderator
    Posts: 13,103
    How about putting the gun barrel at the beginning, whether Bond is 007 or not? No more gimmicks. It's one of the most iconic elements in a series with no shortage of iconic elements.

    I didn't see SP on the big screen, as I didn't like what I was seeing in the run up to its release. I did it once before, I could do it again, if I get that same sinking feeling coming back.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 1,187
    I'm probably in the minority here (but I probably speak for the general moviegoing public) in saying that it's really not important to me where the gunbarrel is. I don't take issue with the placement of the Skyfall one, as I actually agree with Mendes. Skyfall's opening shot is so beautiful striking on it's own and having the gunbarrel play before it would have been repetitive and lessened its effect.

    What I DIDN'T like, was QOS gunbarrel. Not only was the design awful, but the idea of putting it at the end as a marker of him finally becoming Bond diminishes the whole notion of Casino Royale's ending.

    If it's back to the beginning for Bond 25 then I'll be happy to see it, if the filmmakers feel there's a better way to open the film, I'm there for it as well.
Sign In or Register to comment.