The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 38 deadline: Sun 19 May 14:30 UK time!*

Comments

• FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    All the so-called experts are doing badly in FPL this year. Nobody knows really who to pick ... too much variance.
    Not a fan of the yellow Arsenal kit ...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Not much of a template this season, much of FPL is luck I think.

All Villa in the early stages.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    What a goal by Villa.
    That was a great team goal, ripped arsenal to pieces.
    Wow, what a goal!

Bailey looking great again!
    Arteta looking glum ...
    Emery will be extremely motivated to win this.
    Unai Emery is also from the Basque region of Spain.

They're taking over!

Someone give Xabi Alonso a call, also Basque ....
    In theory, Arsenal should match up very well against a high line ...
    Arsenal severely at risk of Bailey running riot on Zinchenko. Already on a yellow ...
    I expect Arsenal will lose this game. One of the most difficult fixtures this season, this…
    Arsenal will score, Villa inviting too much pressure.
    Martinez on Odegaard, reminding me of that save near the end of extra time in the WC final ...
    Martinez .... jeez, just gotta luv/hate him!
    edited December 2023 Posts: 735
    "1 - nil to the Villa ..."

Tony Adams just said on TV.
    As expected. With tough fixtures ahead, I fear Arsenal will struggle keeping up with City, Liverpool – and by the looks of it, Villa. They are simply not good enough when it matters the most.
    No Haaland at all tomorrow, apparently....
    Feyador wrote: »

Seeing rumours of this from FPL people on Twitter. Any certainty to this rumour, do we think?

Seeing rumours of this from FPL people on Twitter. Any certainty to this rumour, do we think?

Don't know, probably seeing the same thing as you ...

... and Son, not Salah, is my vice captain.
    I picked Salah as my vice, so I can't be disappointed should Haaland not play. Expect Spurs will see an opportunity trying to keep up with the teams ahead of them, so Spurs-Newcastle can be an interesting game. I can see goals for both teams!
    I picked Salah as my vice, so I can't be disappointed should Haaland not play. Expect Spurs will see an opportunity trying to keep up with the teams ahead of them, so Spurs-Newcastle can be an interesting game. I can see goals for both teams!

Apparently Son may be injured ...

... this game used to be easier, I think.
    If Postecoglou's comment is anything to go by, I expect Son will be fine.

FPL did use to be easier, that's for sure. There are more and more people playing, all of whom – if they want it – have access to a lot of useful content which makes it easier to do well in FPL. Even veterans of the game, who are used to top 100k finishes or better, are also not finding the game as easy anymore. We also see variance playing a big part too. You might target the right set of players, but you might miss out on picking that one player who gets a streak of good scores, which sets you back x amount of points behind your rivals.

Just looking through the teams in another league I'm in, the guy leading the league has 8 of the same players as I do, but benefitted from Gordon's hauls in gameweek 13 and 14, whereas I brought him in afterwards. He got Maguire's 5 points last gameweek off the bench for Tsimikas, whereas I got Kaboré's 0 points off the bench, etc. Small differences, but all of these points can lead to a strong lead.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,364
    Aston Villa v. Arsenal should be good!

I may as well watch it despite my utter disdain for my team, I have paid for it after all lol I hope Arsenal win, Liverpool must not win the league.

You made a spelling mistake.....
    Liverpool must win the league :)>-

But why do you hate Liverpool so much.. ?? ;)

FPL did use to be easier, that's for sure. There are more and more people playing, all of whom – if they want it – have access to a lot of useful content which makes it easier to do well in FPL. Even veterans of the game, who are used to top 100k finishes or better, are also not finding the game as easy anymore. We also see variance playing a big part too. You might target the right set of players, but you might miss out on picking that one player who gets a streak of good scores, which sets you back x amount of points behind your rivals.

Just looking through the teams in another league I'm in, the guy leading the league has 8 of the same players as I do, but benefitted from Gordon's hauls in gameweek 13 and 14, whereas I brought him in afterwards. He got Maguire's 5 points last gameweek off the bench for Tsimikas, whereas I got Kaboré's 0 points off the bench, etc. Small differences, but all of these points can lead to a strong lead.

It's still early in the season so maybe FPL will be easier, luckier ? later on ?
    The public FPL experts all inevitably influence each other, who in turn influence everyone else, which creates the template that's hard to break away from without risk of rank drop ... so we all end with the same players mostly, while chasing points from previous game weeks.

I've got Newcastle players including Gordon but his team badly ran out of gas last week against Everton. They're wasted ... and a crucial game next week in Champions League may require holding back against Spurs on Sunday.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 735
    One thing I almost never hear anymore from pundits is that such and such a [real] football manager "doesn't know his best eleven."

That's because players on elite teams play so many games, often internationally, and at such high intensity that they get tired and injured and necessarily rotated like never before. So managers ideally now have to rely on their entire squads ... not a "best eleven."

And that makes predictability both in the real game and in FPL a less likely outcome.

Not a bad thing of course for the sheer enjoyment of watching games and the title race. This Premier League season has been a lot of fun ... VAR notwithstanding.

It's still early in the season so maybe FPL will be easier, luckier ? later on ?

The first half of the season is certainly a bit unpredictable. Navigating blank gameweeks and finding potential great weeks to play chips is where managers who have played some seasons of the game might have an advantage.
    The public FPL experts all inevitably influence each other, who in turn influence everyone else, which creates the template that's hard to break away from without risk of rank drop ... so we all end with the same players mostly, while chasing points from previous game weeks.

I've got Newcastle players including Gordon but his team badly ran out of gas last week against Everton. They're wasted ... and a crucial game next week in Champions League may require holding back against Spurs on Sunday.

Indeed, you see it on Twitter all the time, where teams are incredibly similar. If the "Twitter template" works, you're seeing high ranks, and if it doesn't – which looks to be the case now, you're seeing the opposite.

I got Gordon more for flexibility more than anything. I'm certainly not expecting many points – which the transfer he makes possible will have to do…
    One thing I almost never hear anymore from pundits is that such and such a [real] football manager "doesn't know his best eleven."

That's because players on elite teams play so many games, often internationally, and at such high intensity that they get tired and injured and necessarily rotated like never before. So managers ideally now have to rely on their entire squads ... not a "best eleven."

And that makes predictability both in the real game and in FPL a less likely outcome.

Not a bad thing of course for the sheer enjoyment of watching games and the title race. This Premier League season has been a lot of fun ... VAR notwithstanding.

Very true. I don't think Arsenal have started the expected best eleven yet this season, for example, with injuries keeping them from doing so.

As you mention, the hectic schedule the teams face affects the predictability of FPL. There aren't that many "rotation proof" players these days. Where you before might have the cheapest possible, next to non-playing bench, you now have to cover for most situations.

The first half of the season is certainly a bit unpredictable. Navigating blank gameweeks and finding potential great weeks to play chips is where managers who have played some seasons of the game might have an advantage.

Indeed, you see it on Twitter all the time, where teams are incredibly similar. If the "Twitter template" works, you're seeing high ranks, and if it doesn't – which looks to be the case now, you're seeing the opposite.

I got Gordon more for flexibility more than anything. I'm certainly not expecting many points – which the transfer he makes possible will have to do…

Very true. I don't think Arsenal have started the expected best eleven yet this season, for example, with injuries keeping them from doing so.

As you mention, the hectic schedule the teams face affects the predictability of FPL. There aren't that many "rotation proof" players these days. Where you before might have the cheapest possible, next to non-playing bench, you now have to cover for most situations.

Erling's injury came out of nowhere this gw and could be out next gw ?
    I don't know why they kept it a secret ?
    The FIFA Club World Cup is coming up too.
    We can only hope we get news by the Friday deadline! Not sure I'd want to transfer out Haaland if it's a minor injury. On the other hand, any replacement might score some much needed points in the meantime…