NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• RyanRyan Canada
    Seems like a pretty respectable week so far.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    SP in 2015 grossed almost the double on its first Wednesday and by now its total gross was almost $20 million more.
  • I cried at the end and I'm a bloke.
    Don't worry, so did I, as soon as the strings for "We have all the Time in the World" sounded. Not really pratical with the mask on, but I couldn't help myself.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I know folks are going back to theaters for movies, and that's GREAT as long as safe health precautions are taken. I sure hope it continues. But we still, no matter what, have to factor in the pandemic as being detrimental to Bond films. And all movies. But I do think Bond more affected due to its fan base having so many older fans, who may be reluctant to go to a theater. Which is understandable. Young adults flocking to Venom probably not as cautious; also different genres pull in crowds Bond does not.

So I think NTTD will do very respectably at the box office in the U.S., all things considered. There is no way to compare it fairly to Spectre or Skyfall or other Bond films because of this pandemic. Other things are factors too, of course (genre, 6 yr wait, etc.) but don't discount the pandemic itself as I think it is a big hurdle for a Bond film in particular. I am pleased it is doing as well as it is in the U.S. at the moment and overseas it is doing great. It deserves success, and I hope things shake out very well for this fine Bond movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I personally think it's doing very well at the box office currently, all things considered. I'll be very eager to see what it nets from China and what its overall gross is worldwide.
    Question.......in the US do cinema goers have to wear masks..........don't have to in the UK. In fact if you are worried about Covid just go to a quieter earlier or very late screen time of the film, plus you can select your seat, so you just pick one so you are a few seats away from the next person.
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    Question.......in the US do cinema goers have to wear masks..........don't have to in the UK. In fact if you are worried about Covid just go to a quieter earlier or very late screen time of the film, plus you can select your seat, so you just pick one so you are a few seats away from the next person.

Cinema goers in California have to wear masks. And yes, I was several seats distanced from the other patrons.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    In Ontario it's required, but it can be removed for snacks/drinks. Second to that - only people who show proof of full vaccination are allowed into the theatre at all. Theatres are now operating at full capacity again as a result.
    mepal1 wrote: »

Cinema goers in California have to wear masks. And yes, I was several seats distanced from the other patrons.

I can see why that would put many off going to the theatre, just for one if you wear glasses, they would constantly mist up having to wear a mask.

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Depends on the state. In Oregon it's technically required but how enforced it is depends on the theater. When I saw it at Regal there were several unmasked people, but when I caught a second showing at one of our local independent theaters that requires proof of vaccination to even enter, the audience was all masked.
    Minion wrote: »

Depends on the state. In Oregon it's technically required but how enforced it is depends on the theater. When I saw it at Regal there were several unmasked people, but when I caught a second showing at one of our local independent theaters that requires proof of vaccination to even enter, the audience was all masked.

Thanks for these replies, it explains a lot about covid and cinema going in the US......and it still looks like there is a long way to go before pre-covid days for the film world. In the UK cinema chains actually had to close their theatres as they were losing massive amounts of money, and people were just not going out to the cinema. The cinema chains were desperate for the new Bond film to open, as they knew they could make some big money again, and as far as i know that with NTTD, this is really the first big film in the pandemic era that people have turned out in their droves to watch a film.
  • 9IW9IW
    edited October 2021 Posts: 59
    Minion wrote: »

Thanks for these replies, it explains a lot about covid and cinema going in the US......and it still looks like there is a long way to go before pre-covid days for the film world. In the UK cinema chains actually had to close their theatres as they were losing massive amounts of money, and people were just not going out to the cinema. The cinema chains were desperate for the new Bond film to open, as they knew they could make some big money again, and as far as i know that with NTTD, this is really the first big film in the pandemic era that people have turned out in their droves to watch a film.

In Texas, masks are not required and I saw few wearing them voluntarily. Venom preceded NTTD by a week and drew huge crowds, though it is a big positive that both films are getting big numbers simultaneously.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I watched NTTD the fourth time tonight. The cinema was more packed than I expected. It is a small city and Bond is shown on six screens in this city. There was a better atmosphere as last time (more reactions of the audience). That was great. Bond is a huge thing in Switzerland and every cinema wants to show it.
    I watched NTTD the fourth time tonight. The cinema was more packed than I expected. It is a small city and Bond is shown on six screens in this city. There was a better atmosphere as last time (more reactions of the audience). That was great. Bond is a huge thing in Switzerland and every cinema wants to show it.

Very good........yes Bond is very popular in Switzerland........and in the Alpine area in general. Mind you i suppose you like Bond for getting rid of Blofeld on Piz Gloria?....:)
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 615
    Question.......in the US do cinema goers have to wear masks..........don't have to in the UK.
    I saw the film last Sunday in a theater in Memphis, Tennessee. No vaccine pass needed, but masks had to be worn in the lobby (whether entering the building or exiting the screening room). Mask-wearing was not required once seated.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Northern Virginia-DC area: no masks required.

Theater staff wear masks. Signs on entrances request masking by the un-vaccinated. Patrons are welcome to mask, some do. Most all remove masks when seated to consume snacks and drinks.

My third viewing, I sat next to a tall fit young man who wore a mask the entire film. On the other side, an older couple, the gentleman made quite an effort to make it to his seat,. They wore masks until seated then removed them immediately.

All three viewings for me I entered without a mask, bought popcorn and drink, and weathered through the trailers to get to the film proper.

I'm about to do some traveling to Kentucky, Tennessee, and Texas and can potentially give a report.

• RainyRainy Skyfall
    People are predicting that it'll hit $100mil in NA by the end of the weekend, will be interesting to see if it happens.

Also there are now 5,000+ verified reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and it's sitting at an 88% Audience Rating. That's the second highest of the Craig era, behind CR's 90%, and it's ahead of Skyfall's 86%.
  • 9IW9IW
    With a pretty decent Wednesday box office report now in, I think the domestic total is going to crack $100 million this weekend. Still sticking to my prediction of total domestic/worldwide grosses at 150/700.

Probably looking at a strong opening for Halloween Kills this weekend at around $45 million. Surprisingly, the market for this movie is a little older and a lot more female than you might think. HK should pull heavily from both the Bond and Venom audiences. It is streaming on Peacock as well so that puts the predictions on shaky ground.

Ridley Scott/Matt Damon/Ben Affleck bring a lot of firepower to The Last Duel opening this weekend. That trio carries substantially more weight in the US than Fukanaga/Craig. But its no Bond, not even Bourne. It will dent NTTD, but not by much. $10 million would be a huge number for this film.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Here in New York City, you have to show proof of having gotten the COVID-19 vaccine (or a recent negative test) to enter the theater. You are also required to wear a mask when not eating. Some theaters are also adding a seat "buffer" between parties. For example, if I order three tickets for NTTD online, those seats will be together, but the two seats on either side of us will now be unavailable. (At least that appears to be the policy of the Alamo Drafthouse where I saw NTTD last weekend).

The practical effect, however, is that I was able to take off my mask inside the theater - as I was eating - and only had to wear it when I was away from my seat. In general, I felt very safe.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Rainy wrote: »
    People are predicting that it'll hit $100mil in NA by the end of the weekend, will be interesting to see if it happens.

Also there are now 5,000+ verified reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and it's sitting at an 88% Audience Rating. That's the second highest of the Craig era, behind CR's 90%, and it's ahead of Skyfall's 86%.
    Whoah!

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Just to mention face masks in a cinema. I wear two face masks for work, on public transport, and in the theater. I wear glasses and they are never fogged up. I make sure the metal band I use on the face mask is strong. Here in Japan, seating is every other person (chairs taped over to make sure), and also nobody directly behind me; hand wipes and sanitizer at the door, they do sell food drink but we are warned to keep face masks on at all other times. (Plenty of animated and text warnings up on the screen.) I have only seen 3 people eating of drinking and they did put their masks back on often. Also they take your temperature when you present your ticket to enter.

These are reserved seats. The theater I chose is huge, screen is 2 stories tall, all chairs tiered and I chose the row that is on a plateau, ledge with behind me slanted even higher angle. Great sound, center of screen view - it was fantastic all 3 times I have seen NTTD. All 3 screenings had many people but it is such a humongous theater it was not completely packed. They increased the showings after the first day. I do feel safe enough there. Certainly I have enough air space and audience is respectful of the rules.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    9IW wrote: »
    With a pretty decent Wednesday box office report now in, I think the domestic total is going to crack $100 million this weekend. Still sticking to my prediction of total domestic/worldwide grosses at 150/700.

Yes, and I don’t think Bond is not gonna beat F9 worldwide.
    This October is just too packed anyway.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    My theatre required masks. I wore it in the lobby, but not during the movie. I didn't sit next to anyone though.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    As ‘No Time To Die’ Hits $80M On Home Turf, Will UK Audiences Keep Flocking To Cinemas In Months Ahead?
    https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time-to-die-uk-box-office-dune-venom-1234856318/
  • Big numbers in Germany, where NTTD had only 15% less in its second week.
    It started with 1.2M viewers on the first week and added 1M the second week. Note: there was no other big release from any other studio during NTTD's second week.
    So in the UK NTTD has now grossed almost 2/3 of SP's final total ($124 million).
    Looking at that latest UK figure which is around $79 mil after Wednesday take, means that Bond has been grossing around $2.5 mil average on work days.....so i think by the end of this weekend the take will be around $95 mil.......which is very good.
    Just for the record the highest figure attained by a Bond film at the UK BO is SF with around $161 mil..............only Star Wars the Force Awakens has grossed more than that in the UK.
  • The box-office tail always wags in the UK, it should climb up to $150 mil at least.
    The Hollywoodreporter reckons NTTD will gross somewhere around $25mil this weekend in North America, which is what i thought. The film needs to do well, as after this week the film will start to lose theatres to newer films, so the stronger the daily grosses in the next few days will determine how many theatres the film can hold onto.