Dubbing 007 - The James Bond films in different languages

124»

Comments

DarthDimi wrote: »
    "Post-release" dubbing? It's performed by hired professionals during post-production and simultaneously sent to theaters along with the original version. Pretty simple.

Okay, I fixed that little detail. ;-)

But hey, fine by me. Again, if people want to watch NTTD, starring Daniel Craig but then without his voice because reading subtitles puts too big a strain on them; if, in other cases, chauvinism prevents people from welcoming a foreign language in their midst, ... whatever the reason, I'll happily let them.

Me too. I've No Time to Die for this. Stubbornness and tantrums are not my thing. I'll rant and then I'll go (good song lyrics, these, btw). Hey, @DarthDimi, let's have a pint elsewhere and discuss the decline of civilisation ;)
    One curious case of dubbing in CR '67 :

When Jean-Paul Belmondo makes his guest appearance as a French Legionaire, in the original version, he speaks french, and has to use a dictionary to translates what he's saying to David Niven. In the french version, he speaks english, and has to translate what he's saying in french to David Niven.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    In Latin American Spanish...

TWINE: "We all have to pay the payper sometine, right Q" is translated as "Es más letal que el flautista de Hamelin, verdad, Q?" (This is more lethal than the Pied Piper of Hamelin). Christmas Jones is literally translated as "Navidad Jones".

AVTAK: "I'm Dick Tracy and you're still under arrest", Dick Tracy is replaced by Cantinflas.

LALD: Mr. Big is known as "El Jefe" (The Boss).

FYEO: St Cyril is literally translated as "San Cirilo".

DAD: The Delectados are dubbed as "Delicados".

QOS: Mathis is given a distinct Italian accent, even though in CR he sounds natural.

TND/Skyfall/SPECTRE: M, Q and C are pronounced in English (instead of "eme", "qu", "ce"). Apparently this was asked by Columbia to the dubbing studio. Strange.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    AVTAK: "I'm Dick Tracy and you're still under arrest", Dick Tracy is replaced by Cantinflas.
    In Spain he was "Inspector Gadget". Much popular then in Spain than Tracy.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    In Spain he was "Inspector Gadget". Much popular then in Spain than Tracy.
    Interesting.

---

Not that I dislike the Spanish title for AVTAK we got in Latin America, but the title you got in Spain is the perfect translation. Very cool.
    Q is also pronounced the english way in all the french dubbed Bond movies I saw.
  • EinoRistoSiniahoEinoRistoSiniaho Oulu, Finland
    Luckily here in Finland they don't dub movies or TV shows apart from kids fare. Also movies are shown in TV uncut - even films which the National Ratings Board had originally cut for cinema or home video release.
    When I was in Czech Republic I caught a glimpse of Pulp Fiction on TV and it was simply bizarre to see Samuel L. Jackson speaking czech.
    Italian westerns and giallo/horror films are only films in which I can stomach obvious dubbing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • GBFGBF
    It is interesting that in the orginal version of Spectre, the female SPECTRE agent (Dr Vogel) reports during the SPECTRE meeting in German. In the German version, she is reporting in another language. I guess it is Hungarian or something. Maybe someone can tell :-)

I must admit that in the German versions the dubbing isn't that bad. Some translations aren't perfect. But mostly it is very good, a very few times even better than in the original. For instance, Stacey Sutton's screaming is not as annoying as it is in the original version in AVTAK. Sometimes translations are just impossible. For instance, when Mayday says: What a view .... (In German "Was für ein Blick.."), Zorin responds in German "für eine große Sache" which means "for a great business". It doesn't make sense but neither does the original.

One must however also mention that many international actors have dubbed their own character in their mother tongue like Carole Bouquet in the French version of FYEO and Gert Fröbe in the German version of Goldfinger, Christoph Waltz in the German verisons of Spectre and No Time to die, Gottfried John in the German version of GoldenEye and many more.

Furthermore, many international actors have also been dubbed in the original version of the Bond films, especially in the 1960s. Hardly anyone complained about that.

• GBFGBF
    edited February 2022 Posts: 3,195
    Luckily here in Finland they don't dub movies or TV shows apart from kids fare. Also movies are shown in TV uncut - even films which the National Ratings Board had originally cut for cinema or home video release.
    When I was in Czech Republic I caught a glimpse of Pulp Fiction on TV and it was simply bizarre to see Samuel L. Jackson speaking czech.
    Italian westerns and giallo/horror films are only films in which I can stomach obvious dubbing.

Well, interestingly these are always people from either northern countries or the Netherlands who criticise dubbing. I guess because they all have no experience with dubbing and get overly confused when they don't see any sub-titles on screen. People might also hate dubbing because they saw a Bond film in English and later on in a dubbed version and got confused. It is all certainly a matter of the experiences.

In Germany, people get confused when they watch Gert Fröbe obviously dubbed in the originla version. French audiences might be surprised seeing Claudine Auger or Carole Bouquet's characters speakig with different voices.

I wonder if those who complain about dubbing also criticise if books are transated in another language. Really wehere is the difference? Of course you cannot always translate everything perfectly but that is part of bringing pop culture to different countries.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Apart from my general preference for undubbed films it is clear to me that this is a simple, purely economical decision by the producers and distributors in order to make the most profit from their movies.

To that end, dubbing for the likes of the German-, French-, Spanish- or Italian-speaking markets makes sense because the respective audiences are large enough, and consequently accustomed for the last more than 90 years to see movies, even foreign ones, in their own language. But that doesn't necessarily apply to smaller countries (or language areas), like the Netherlands plus Flanders with far less than half of the population of the countries above, and especially to the Scandinavian countries where only Sweden passes the ten-million mark (same as Portugal, by the way, regarding the earlier discussions), while the others are only in the five-to-six million range. If there were a sufficient market for Finnish language versions of international movies, they would produce them. But there isn't (exceptions probably notwithstanding).

I've always been saying that the somewhat lower English-language proficiency of Germans (as compared to Dutch or Scandinavian persons, who seem to be naturally fluent in English) is largely influenced by this fact. But if your TV (not to mention cinemas, but they play a minor role, I guess) almost exclusively shows films or other broadcasts in your own language, you don't become fluent in another one. I regret that, but I do not expect the majority of my countrymen and -women to suddenly change course.

And neither do international film producers who have only one goal: Make the most money possible out of a film. If the considerable expenditure for professional (and mostly quite high-quality) dubbing is likely to increase the profit, they will keep on doing that.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GBF wrote: »

Well, interestingly these are always people from either northern countries or the Netherlands who criticise dubbing. I guess because they all have no experience with dubbing and get overly confused when they don't see any sub-titles on screen. People might also hate dubbing because they saw a Bond film in English and later on in a dubbed version and got confused. It is all certainly a matter of the experiences.

In Germany, people get confused when they watch Gert Fröbe obviously dubbed in the originla version. French audiences might be surprised seeing Claudine Auger or Carole Bouquet's characters speakig with different voices.

I wonder if those who complain about dubbing also criticise if books are transated in another language. Really wehere is the difference? Of course you cannot always translate everything perfectly but that is part of bringing pop culture to different countries.

Something always gets lost in translation. But a book and movie are not the same things. Take Sean Connery. He had a distinct voice. Another man's voice doesn't belong in that body. And Bond is 99% of a Bond film; the rest matters less. I don't care if Ursula was dubbed; Connery's perfect voice means a lot more to me. Screwing with that is just terrible.

A book doesn't come with sound. The voice of the author is silent. It's just written words. Translations lose the intended poetic aura of the prose, but that's still not as bad as when some French dude ruins Dalton's or Moore's voice. Even then, I read English books in English.

I'm from Flanders (and thank you, @j_w_pepper, for your high opinion of our English pronunciation ;), that's very kind of you) and I was raised Dutch. Even when I was young, I watched English films in English with Dutch subs; that way, I picked up a lot of English fast. The next step involved watching films without subtitles, which helped me to pick up even more English. And since most films I watch are in English, I now have the advantage of being able to do so without needing any subs or dubs or whatever; the issue has effectively eliminated itself through practice. The only other language I might survive without assistance from subs or dubs is French, but I won't be able to understand everything. Still, I can handle Dutch and Englisch films, books, games, comics, ... with ease; I think I've got a huge chunk of my target catalogue covered that way.

I'm a bit of a Japanophile too, but alas, I need subs. Why no dub? Because the Japanese convey half of their message through how words are spoken, rather than the words themselves. I can easily read English subs while I hear the Japanese being spoken. Years of training and experience got me there. Watching a dubbed film (which isn't the same as watching an original film with a few of the actors' lines dubbed) feels like having an ice cream snack that tastes bitter rather than sweet.

I consider myself at a huge advantage. Those who resort to dubs (often by necessity; I'm not pointing fingers) lose the opportunity to learn a new language. Too bad.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Something always gets lost in translation.

Not to disagree, but I'll never forget the event I witnessed where the speaker exclaimed: "The translation is better than my own words!"

Something always gets lost in translation.

Not to disagree, but I'll never forget the event I witnessed where the speaker exclaimed: "The translation is better than my own words!"

I know people who claim that Jules Verne reads better in English than in French. ;-)
  • GBFGBF
    All valid arguments. But I really wonder whether dubbing may not also lead to greater variety of films that you may experience in the cinema or on TV. My point is that for instance in Germany dubbing leads to the case that films from very different countries find an easier access to the audiences. For most Germans who are going to the cinema or switching on the TV it does not really matter whether the film is from France, Italy, South Korea, the UK or the US. In this regard, dubbing leads to a level playing field. I am pretty sure that otherwise films from English speaking countries would be even more dominant since they are more accessibel to audiences world wide.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I take it as an interesting part of film history, the dubbing and subtitles. I've been in Asian theaters watching English and Korean subtitles on bottom screen, plus Chinese screen right top to bottom. Maybe more. Sometimes overlapping/obscuring each other.

For some Japanese films and others if dubbed and subtitled versions are available, I may watch both.

11c417b935acdfa24d199b9a707cb1b8.jpg
    People can still read though, can't they? Foreign films can be understood with subtitles, can't they? I don't get why we have to culturally insulate ourselves by refusing to hear a foreign language being spoken. We don't dub opera, do we? Did French, German, Italian,... fans of the Beatles dub their songs? Do the English dub Pavarotti? But yes, I agree that dubbed films probably widen the market. I also think the reason behind it is sad. I call it a tragedy that films get dubbed. Most of the dubs I have ever been exposed to sounded horrendously bad. They were a joke, an insult.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    The reason they dubbed Gerd Fröbe in GF was, that he could speak English, but with a heavy German accent, so they felt, that Enlish language movie goers would not understand him. Interestingly though, his English improved duroing shooting, but they setteld for the voice dubbing. Gottfried John said about his character in GE, that the difficulty for him was to speak English with a thick Russian accent, having a German accent himself. Nowadays (probably) all German actors doing English language movies, do dubb their own parts, with the exception, they are available for the dubbing (not shooting another movie at the same time). In THE GAME Armin Müller Stahl was dubbed, for this reason, in all his other English language movies he dubbed himself. Strange thing: Karin Dor as Helga Brandt got another German voice actress (in the oroiginal version it is clearly herself).
  • GBFGBF
    People can still read though, can't they? Foreign films can be understood with subtitles, can't they? I don't get why we have to culturally insulate ourselves by refusing to hear a foreign language being spoken. We don't dub opera, do we? Did French, German, Italian,... fans of the Beatles dub their songs? Do the English dub Pavarotti? But yes, I agree that dubbed films probably widen the market. I also think the reason behind it is sad. I call it a tragedy that films get dubbed. Most of the dubs I have ever been exposed to sounded horrendously bad. They were a joke, an insult.

Well, I think music and films are separate kinds of art. You can listen to music without the need to understand the lyrics entirely. The same applies to opera. With regard to films it is someting completely different. In many cases you need to be able to follow the plot and the dialouge and that can become difficult if you have to read and watch at the same time, especally if you don't understand the language spoken in the film at all. Watching a film with sub-titles is fine if they are just a support and you can mostly understand the characters on screen. However, completely relying on sub-titles make a certain film less popular.

I once read that non English spoken films contribute less than 1% to the American box office. That is very little. I guess, in the UK it is not very different. And I guess in Scandinavian countries or the Netherlands, films in English are also very dominant on TV and in cinema. Or am I wrong?

GBF wrote: »

Well, I think music and films are separate kinds of art. You can listen to music without the need to understand the lyrics entirely. The same applies to opera. With regard to films it is someting completely different. In many cases you need to be able to follow the plot and the dialouge and that can become difficult if you have to read and watch at the same time, especally if you don't understand the language spoken in the film at all. Watching a film with sub-titles is fine if they are just a support and you can mostly understand the characters on screen. However, completely relying on sub-titles make a certain film less popular.

I once read that non English spoken films contribute less than 1% to the American box office. That is very little. I guess, in the UK it is not very different. And I guess in Scandinavian countries or the Netherlands, films in English are also very dominant on TV and in cinema. Or am I wrong?

No, you're absolutely not wrong. Just two things:
    1) I watch Japanese, Chinese, Brazilian, Russian, ... films without any sort of understanding of the languages apart from, perhaps, a few isolated words. Subtitles allow me to follow the plot, dialogue close to 100%. If something gets lost, I'm willing to accept that. Seeing a Japanese film by Kurosawa, Sion Sono, Miike Takashi, ... with Japanese people in a typical Japanese setting but with the powerfully sounding Japanese language replaced by flat English speak means I lose a whole lot more.

2) Again, you are right! :-) From a commercial POV, dubbing is probably the only way you can knife through an entirely domestic film market. If I had to sell a 300 million dollar film to the world, and if dubbing secured many more millions in BO returns, I'd probably have to yield, despite my principal objections.
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Gothenburg, Sweden
    This has probably been addressed before but in swedish ”For Your Eyes Only” is called ”Ur Dödlig Synvinkel” which basically means ”A View To A Kill”. I don’t know if this is just by coincidence or if the translators mixed something up.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Slazenger7 wrote: »
    This has probably been addressed before but in swedish ”For Your Eyes Only” is called ”Ur Dödlig Synvinkel” which basically means ”A View To A Kill”. I don’t know if this is just by coincidence or if the translators mixed something up.

It is because in Sweden the short story collection bore that title. The translator didn t know better, but just copied the title of the book.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,416
    I have couple of Spanish and French movies in my collection.

It is shame i have two animated movies who are official Spanish product but not including original Spanish dub. One of them only is avaible in Dutch dub. The other one (with only Original English and Dutch and Flemish dub) sequel is from Paramount and that include Original Spanish and Original English.

But mabey Spanish version never be plan like there is also German / Dutch animated produced movie who is English and Dutch focused. German version only be made for German speaking country's. Thom Hoffman did English, Dutch and mabey even German voice for his chacter.

With some animated series i have seen there not even exist original dub from country where it is made (Buur en Buurman) or not viewed in my country (Ducktales and a lot of other Disney / Warner things). Some movies i have seen as young child i prefer Dutch versions from 80's (Aristo Cats, Oliver and Co) and some movies i don't have because it not including original Dutch voices from 80's or don't know or it include.

De Smurfen and Kuifje are original French Belgium comic books, but animated series are Dutch/Flemish Belgium produced. In this case Dutch/Flemish voices are original and any other ones dub versions.

In my opnion you have Original English (French, Spanish, Italian, German) and Original Dutch (Dutch/Flemish) for example. Ducktales i count as original Dutch (& English), whyle
    Dutch voice of Shrek as Dub. With The Lion King i prefer English, but count both. Aladdin English.