Dubbing 007 - The James Bond films in different languages

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    So for the OP's request
    How does each 007 picture differ in languages other than the original languages? The goal of this thread is simple. In order to understand the subtleties and slightly different words (including the meaning of jokes) used on international releases that we who speak English and only English seek to understand, I am creating a spot for each of the 25 films below! Whether you're Norse, Chinese, Japanese, Dutch, French, German, or any other international language, please share the differences here.

The most popular response is (paraphrasing here)
    tumblr_pwgemkpuvI1ytvm9qo1_250.png
    Interesting.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Univex wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    What is the point of coming to a thread dedicated to talking of the dubbing of 007 if you're only going to bash dubbing (no matter how right or wrong you are)? Imagine if a user registered to MI6Community only to bash James Bond. What's the point if it adds literally nothing to the conversation?

I just don't get it. As for dubbing vs subs, the truth is that I've seen many shows which had an awful acting (e.g. Once Upon a Time and The Walking Dead) and I had to watch them dubbed because they were unbearable otherwise, while the dubbing elevated them. I don't care if it's insulting to the actors (they don't even care in the slightest bit about the product since they only do it for they paycheck), I watch shows because I want to be entertained, not because I want to be thrown away from the story by the terrible acting.

That makes absolutely no sense. Really. None.

But, ok, I'll leave the thread. Only, not before thanking @DarthDimi for his lucid post. Thank you.

As for what you said, @Walecs,..., no sense. Total nonsense.

Cheerio.

I was just getting accustomed to your nonsense ;)
    What is the point of coming to a thread dedicated to talking of the dubbing of 007 if you're only going to bash dubbing (no matter how right or wrong you are)? Imagine if a user registered to MI6Community only to bash James Bond. What's the point if it adds literally nothing to the conversation?

I just don't get it. As for dubbing vs subs, the truth is that I've seen many shows which had an awful acting (e.g. Once Upon a Time and The Walking Dead) and I had to watch them dubbed because they were unbearable otherwise, while the dubbing elevated them. I don't care if it's insulting to the actors (they don't even care in the slightest bit about the product since they only do it for they paycheck), I watch shows because I want to be entertained, not because I want to be thrown away from the story by the terrible acting.

That makes absolutely no sense. Really. None.

But, ok, I'll leave the thread. Only, not before thanking @DarthDimi for his lucid post. Thank you.

As for what you said, @Walecs,..., no sense. Total nonsense.

Cheerio.

I was just getting accustomed to your nonsense ;)

?!?

( ;) )
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    The very reason that I have a collection (starting before streaming was introduced, so I'm not into streaming either) of more than 2,000 DVD/Blu-ray (about 3/4 of the latter by now) is that for the first time ever in Germany, I was able to watch movies in their original version regularly, by choosing the original language track. My oldest DVDs are from 2002 (after having ordered English-language VHS for about 7 years before, but that kept me stuck to the original without subtitles, even in the rare cases that I could have used them...no problem with American accents, but Cockney and Irish and Scottish are something different), then I switched to Blu-ray in 2010.

I must say I'm all with the dubbing haters...so much that for instance I have some Italian movies in their original version with only Italian subtitles (Tornatore's Malénacomes to mind)...and I never learned Italian but can identify so much from Latin and French at school, and Spanish for some off-school courses. Still, I prefer the original version so much over the dubbed version that I don't mind not grasping 100 per cent.

Yet this is not the only truth. There are the rare movies or shows where I prefer the German version. Say international movies that have a German location and German characters that are meant to speak German (Valkyrie, which goes to some lengths explaining to their English-language viewers that those people are actually speaking German...as if that weren't obvious anyway) and which seem unintentionally funny by having actors speaking English with a supposedly German accent. That's just ridiculous. Either those characters are meant to be speaking German, then let them speak regular English and let the viewers get the connection themselves, or pretend that for some reason they actually try to speak English...in which case I'd accept a German accent though in fact not everyone has one.

One thing that universal dubbing has taught Germans is that if John Wayne speaks German in a movie means that he is really speaking English - and there is no need to dub him in German with an American accent. In the original High Society, Crosby, Kelly etc. speak normal German. Only Louis Armstrong was dubbed with an American accent in the German words he says. I found that racist long before it became popular to criticize something as racist.

Yet another example: The Persuaders. In the early 70s it became popular to dub some shows not true-to-source, but with a tongue-in-cheek approach. And The Persuaders is indeed an example that is infinitely funnier in German than the original version. Still, I'd like to have a choice. And since most German cinemas and definitely German TV don't offer that, I'll be stuck with discs for years to come.

Nice post, @j_w_pepper! I know a member from "the other place" who had to travel miles and miles in Germany so he could see an original version of SP when it came out in theatres. And he meant miles and miles and miles. I'd be in Spain or in the Pyrenees if I traveled that much to see a film.

And your experience with Italian cinema is similar to mine. I don't care if I loose some of it. I still prefer to listen to Mastroianni with his own voice. I would like to ask @Walecs how he feels when he hears Marcello Mastroianni speaking in perfect english - something he never did in real life, btw. What about a Fellini movie all dubbed by American "voice actors" with east coast accents. Maybe a Boston accent for Sophia Loren. I guess her accent inflexion that tells us immediately that she's from Rome, or when she changes it to make it sound like she's from Naples, don't matter a thing, right? Just make her American, with a southern accent, why don't ya?

Well, that was rant, wasn't it? Anyways, nice post, my friend.

Admittedly I never head those actors dubbed by American voice actors, but really, if someone watched an Italian movie dubbed into English how would that affect my life in the slightest bit? I would still be able to watch my Italian movies in the language I prefer, so who cares?

Saying that people can't enjoy stuff because you can't enjoy it is childish. I don't like Mission: Impossible. I absolutely hate it. So what, shall I go to Mission: Impossible forums and insult people or make them feel bad because they enjoy it? Who cares if they like something I don't, it's not going to affect my life in the slightest bit. Grow up, people. Life is made of troubles already, no need to create more.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 6,677
    1) This is not about the capacity to enjoy something. This is about something being right or wrong. You can happily say it's stupid to use heroin on the basis that it's bad for you. So is dubbing, IMO. It's degrading and dumbifying. And if you're paying attention, it's not just my own personal singular opinion. Many people here have voiced the same. It's not the same as, say, enjoying chocolate or not. This is a disrespectful and damaging practice. The decline of civilisation can be measured by these little things. Why read when you can dub? Why learn a new language when you can dub?...

2) These are forums, we come here to discuss and debate the validity of an array of subjects. It's the nature of the game to discredit, criticise,... I didn't insult you, I insulted a subject that was opened for debate. Not you, @Walecs. I would never. And you know that.

3) Why shouldn't we come to a thread about dubbing Bond films and criticise that practice by voicing that it damages the films, the actors jobs, and the viewer?

4) I had to endure 3 episodes of Poirot, hearing Suchet dubbed in Dutch just the other night while in a mitteleuropean city. Then, Hitchcock's Marnie. Why? Why would you do that? Where is the high pitch voice David Suchet trained so hard to give Poirot his "brain voice"? Where was Connery's Scottish accent and deep voice and slight lisp?

5)
    but really, if someone watched an Italian movie dubbed into English how would that affect my life in the slightest bit? I would still be able to watch my Italian movies in the language I prefer, so who cares?
    - Now that's being plain selfish, wouldn't you say? Someone mentioned chauvinism a few posts ago?

6) About ten years ago, while I was in Rome, they had Stanly Kubrick's Eyes wide Shut dubbed on the telly. I can tell you something. That was not Kubrick's film. That was the same as if they'd chop the editing on it, or had it streamed in black and white, or upside down for that matter. It was not the original film. If you think you're watching the original films when they're dubbed, you're dead wrong. They're versions. Poorer. Manipulated. You might as well cut the sound and just watch the pictures. It'd be a truer experience. I know I eventually did, for Poirot, Marnie and EWS.

7) Dubbing's dumb.
    How did this particular OP become a political-type back and forth.

Dubbing of Bond films exists across the years, in English and otherwise. There's no changing it. Bond films have done that regularly in English up front. When it's done for foreign release in a language other than English, there are notable variations in meaning and context and outright comical unintended outcomes. I enjoy this kind of trivia and cinema history and pop culture relevance. In the same way I enjoy looking back at the literal foreign language translations of Bond film titles. Sometimes funny, sometimes on target in a different way than the original.

Separately and obviously: dubbing will change over time. I leave it to the countries involved and affected citizens to act on that.

If there's a need for an anti-dubbing discussion on its own, that could be interesting. But you'd have to prove it to me.
    If there's a need for an anti-dubbing discussion on its own, that could be interesting. But you'd have to prove it to me.

Oh, we don't need to discuss ad nauseam the surreptitious causes for intelligence decay. We don't need to agitate the status quo of stolidity. We don't need an "anti-dubbing" discussion, as much as we don't need to acknowledge the societal collapse that is occurring as we speak. Yes, there has been dubbing of Bond films across the years, some idiosyncrasies of it are funny as hell. Many are interesting to discuss in a thread made exactly for that purpose - this one. I admit that. But defending dubbing will always be as dumb as defending any other fiend practice that occurs solely for the purpose of giving continuity to the otioseness of the doltish dense.

Univex out.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 13,012
    OP subject. Redirected but hopefully not overcome.
    walter1.thumbnail.jpg
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    00Agent wrote: »
    [quote="00Agent;c

Every country has different methods, for example in Poland, where i originate from, they use one guy to basically talk over the whole damn film as a narrator simply translating the spoken words, in a monotone voice without reenacting the emotions. For that you can still hear the original actors in the background. It sounds weird (and kinda is) but you get used to it.

A weird advantage of that is that polish people have adapted very well to english. They've been hearing it in the background for decades lol.

Yes, I came across this "dubbing" in Poland. At first seems funny, but surely becomes annoying.
    As for the generation of my parents, they would not be able t listen to undubbed movies, in my hometown cinema they do not show the movies in the original version, where I live, they do this with the new blockbuster movies coming up, but then, we have a university here. In provincial areas you can't expect to find such mvie theatres.
    I personally orefer the original version, when I can get it, there is a movie near Stuttgart, that screens the current movies undubbed, but then, the town use d to have a US military camp for ages.

One more thing dubbing screwed up in DAF: The dubbing author and director thought, it might be funny to have Dr Metz speak wuith a Saxonian dialect, which is odd, because in German he sounds ridiculous, when he isn't. ANd Mr Wint and Mr Kidd were dubbed to speak with cliché gay voices. Which also leads them to become more of comic and fun characters.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited August 2019 Posts: 1,690
    I'm an American living in Germany and I've seen one Bond film dubbed. It was horrific.

On the whole, German dubbers are probably the best, but even having said that, in Licence to Kill, there are scenes where characters, and even groups of characters, are clearly laughing, but are undubbed. Their gaping mouths are silent, like Al Pacino at the end of Godfather III. Just bizarre in its laziness. I don't understand how any of it exists.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    1) This is not about the capacity to enjoy something. This is about something being right or wrong. You can happily say it's stupid to use heroin on the basis that it's bad for you. So is dubbing, IMO. It's degrading and dumbifying. And if you're paying attention, it's not just my own personal singular opinion. Many people here have voiced the same. It's not the same as, say, enjoying chocolate or not. This is a disrespectful and damaging practice. The decline of civilisation can be measured by these little things. Why read when you can dub? Why learn a new language when you can dub?...

2) These are forums, we come here to discuss and debate the validity of an array of subjects. It's the nature of the game to discredit, criticise,... I didn't insult you, I insulted a subject that was opened for debate. Not you, @Walecs. I would never. And you know that.

3) Why shouldn't we come to a thread about dubbing Bond films and criticise that practice by voicing that it damages the films, the actors jobs, and the viewer?

4) I had to endure 3 episodes of Poirot, hearing Suchet dubbed in Dutch just the other night while in a mitteleuropean city. Then, Hitchcock's Marnie. Why? Why would you do that? Where is the high pitch voice David Suchet trained so hard to give Poirot his "brain voice"? Where was Connery's Scottish accent and deep voice and slight lisp?

5)
    but really, if someone watched an Italian movie dubbed into English how would that affect my life in the slightest bit? I would still be able to watch my Italian movies in the language I prefer, so who cares?
    - Now that's being plain selfish, wouldn't you say? Someone mentioned chauvinism a few posts ago?

6) About ten years ago, while I was in Rome, they had Stanly Kubrick's Eyes wide Shut dubbed on the telly. I can tell you something. That was not Kubrick's film. That was the same as if they'd chop the editing on it, or had it streamed in black and white, or upside down for that matter. It was not the original film. If you think you're watching the original films when they're dubbed, you're dead wrong. They're versions. Poorer. Manipulated. You might as well cut the sound and just watch the pictures. It'd be a truer experience. I know I eventually did, for Poirot, Marnie and EWS.

7) Dubbing's dumb.

@Univex: As much as I also prefer undubbed movies, you can't expect, that people throughout the world are able to speak, read and understand English fluently, as do native speakers. It's a difference to have learned English at school, even study it at university on the one hand, and be a master in speaking and understanding English, as native speakers (who grew up speaking English) do. And dubbing movies also offers jobs for actors, who can't get big roles in movie franchises, TV series, etc. As you mention Connery, for non-native speakers who are not familiar with Irish or - in Connery's case - Scottish accents, plus Sean's lisp and how he mumbles away his lines. That's his way of speaking, and it's fine for many people, who are familiar with it. But I think, politics should not be an argument pro or against dubbing.

5)

7) Dubbing's dumb.

@Univex: As much as I also prefer undubbed movies, you can't expect, that people throughout the world are able to speak, read and understand English fluently, as do native speakers. It's a difference to have learned English at school, even study it at university on the one hand, and be a master in speaking and understanding English, as native speakers (who grew up speaking English) do. And dubbing movies also offers jobs for actors, who can't get big roles in movie franchises, TV series, etc. As you mention Connery, for non-native speakers who are not familiar with Irish or - in Connery's case - Scottish accents, plus Sean's lisp and how he mumbles away his lines. That's his way of speaking, and it's fine for many people, who are familiar with it. But I think, politics should not be an argument pro or against dubbing.

@DoctorKaufmann, I expect people to read subtitles in their own languages. That's all.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Indeed. Leave the original product intact and supply subs. We don't dub song lyrics or opera, do we? When I watch Russian, Italian, Chinese, ... movies, I use subs. The point is not which language is better understood or whatever, the point is to not screw up other people's work.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

5)

7) Dubbing's dumb.

So I came into this thread expecting people to be talking about the intricacies of the dubbings: how they change metaphors or jokes and perhaps what they tell us about the film that the original English version doesn't tell us. Also how funny it gets when characters change the language/accent they're speaking in the middle of a film and it gets very meta. Instead, I see this comment and can only shake my head in disbelief.

No, @Univex, dubbing is not the end of the world. To say that it's making people stupid is a ridiculous statement. Comparing people's bias towards dubbing to using heroin is absurd and honestly quite dumb. And your point about not learning a new language by dubbing a film is so backwards I had to laugh. Do you really not realize that watching a dub is one of the best ways to familiarize yourself with a new language??? Let's take the example of an English-speaking child in the UK who wants/needs to learn, say, a foreign language such as Portuguese. Do you really expect the child to seek out Portuguese cinema? Where to start would be the first issue. Also the quality of Portuguese productions is weaker than Hollywood's newest blockbusters (great actors leaving the country for the US, paired with much smaller budgets etc). How do you get a child to watch some low-budget film with characters and faces they do not recognize? You simply don't. They're already familiar with the AAA franchises from the US/UK, however. So what you do is get them to watch films at home that you own which have a Portuguese dub and you put English subtitles on. This is a film you know they want to watch. This is far more effective than watching the OV with foreign subtitles because chances are that the kid won't be reading them at all after 3 minutes. Also, hearing a new language is vital for catching intonation/pronunciation. So dubbing a film is a great tool for helping to learn a foreign tongue. Something I'm assuming you've never had to do?

Another point I'd like to make is that dubbing is a necessary marketing strategy to sell your film to foreign markets. If SPECTRE hadn't dubbed the film to death for other countries then you could cross off a few hundred million to the worldwide box office. Audiences, especially the older members, might never have had the chance to learn English and to insult them for not reading subtitles instead is wrong. If people prefer dubbing to subtitles then the distributors have no other choice (an easy choice though) to hire some people for a dub. And to be perfectly honest, dubbing these days isn't half as bad as it used to be. Voice artists stick with actors their whole career and for those countries their voices are somewhat iconic. And the quality as I said is quite good in many countries to the point where emotions in the voice can be heard that are near identical to the OV (rarely as good, but there are exceptions).

I'd like to counter your point about dubbing being damaged art. Yes and no. Sure, many small details are lost in the process no matter how good a dub is, but at the same time you're creating new art and for some films it can actually be better, as somebody on this thread pointed out earlier. Something far worse than dubbing, which changes the film's original state, sometimes is when they provide a different cut to the film for a different region. To this day I'd argue that people in NA aren't actually watching the 'true' Casino Royale. At the very least they're not watching the same film the rest of us are and that is a shame. Releasing a Director's Cut is a further pet peeve of mine. Blade Runner for example is a mess to discuss/review because of it. So dubbing isn't even close to being the worst thing that can happen to a film.

Now I personally always prefer the OV over a dubbing and will gladly sit through a foreign film with subtitles (even if I don't need them). Although I've watched tons of English films in other languages and cannot say that it has ever destroyed a film. (Don't have much experience with foreign films dubbed in English because I choose subtitles like I said.) But I make an exception with Bond films because I've grown so accustomed to everyone's real voices by watching them one thousand times over that I simply refuse to ever hear it dubbed.

P.S. I will add that I do find it ridiculous when people use the excuse of "not wanting to read" in order to watch a dubbed version of a film, because that is laziness, although if they prefer the dubbed voices through their exposure, and have greater access to watch it as such, then I've no issue whatsoever with them choosing the dubbed version.

P.P.S. I utterly loathe the OV dubbing of Lazenby's Bond as Sir Hilary Bray in OHMSS. It was lazy, of bad quality, and worsens the overall film.
    One point about dubbing : it can also be used to recover lost movies and TV shows. Case in point : I presume that everyone here is aware of the purge the BBC did with their archives in the 70s (the reasons for that vandalism being a subject for anoyther thread). A lot of material was lost in those days, and some are still lost today. Everybody has heard about the 97 episodes of Doctor Who still missing. But among those recovered, some had been dubbed either in spanish or arabic. If they hadn't, are we sure that they would havbe been found, restaured (thanks to fans who had recorded the soundtracks when they originally aired), and sold ? And among the shows lost to that purge were episodes of the detective series Paul Temple. Well, thanks to the selling of that series in Germany, these episodes still exists, dubbed in german.

Now, myself, I prefer the original version (and I'm considered an oddity among my relations because of that). But I view dubbing as sort of necessary. A necessary evil, if you will, but certainly less so than pan and scan or colorization. Hwever, I will make an exception for musicals. As much as I enjoy watching translated musicals in the theatre, I'm absolutely opposed to dubbing movie musicals, especially the songs. So there.

And to bring back the thread on the road (sort of), what about differences between versions of the novels ? Case in point : in Casino Royale, when Mathis comes to see Bond, posing as a radio salesman, in the original version, he tells 007 : "You're burned, burned, burned." The french translation gives us a better progression : "Vous êtes brûlé, grillé, carbonisé." (IIRC) (tr. : Youre burned, grilled, carbonized.) IMHO, it gives a better flavour to the dialogue. What do you think ?

5)

7) Dubbing's dumb.

So I came into this thread expecting people to be talking about the intricacies of the dubbings: how they change metaphors or jokes and perhaps what they tell us about the film that the original English version doesn't tell us. Also how funny it gets when characters change the language/accent they're speaking in the middle of a film and it gets very meta. Instead, I see this comment and can only shake my head in disbelief.

No, @Univex, dubbing is not the end of the world. To say that it's making people stupid is a ridiculous statement. Comparing people's bias towards dubbing to using heroin is absurd and honestly quite dumb. And your point about not learning a new language by dubbing a film is so backwards I had to laugh. Do you really not realize that watching a dub is one of the best ways to familiarize yourself with a new language??? Let's take the example of an English-speaking child in the UK who wants/needs to learn, say, a foreign language such as Portuguese. Do you really expect the child to seek out Portuguese cinema? Where to start would be the first issue. Also the quality of Portuguese productions is weaker than Hollywood's newest blockbusters (great actors leaving the country for the US, paired with much smaller budgets etc). How do you get a child to watch some low-budget film with characters and faces they do not recognize? You simply don't. They're already familiar with the AAA franchises from the US/UK, however. So what you do is get them to watch films at home that you own which have a Portuguese dub and you put English subtitles on. This is a film you know they want to watch. This is far more effective than watching the OV with foreign subtitles because chances are that the kid won't be reading them at all after 3 minutes. Also, hearing a new language is vital for catching intonation/pronunciation. So dubbing a film is a great tool for helping to learn a foreign tongue. Something I'm assuming you've never had to do?

Another point I'd like to make is that dubbing is a necessary marketing strategy to sell your film to foreign markets. If SPECTRE hadn't dubbed the film to death for other countries then you could cross off a few hundred million to the worldwide box office. Audiences, especially the older members, might never have had the chance to learn English and to insult them for not reading subtitles instead is wrong. If people prefer dubbing to subtitles then the distributors have no other choice (an easy choice though) to hire some people for a dub. And to be perfectly honest, dubbing these days isn't half as bad as it used to be. Voice artists stick with actors their whole career and for those countries their voices are somewhat iconic. And the quality as I said is quite good in many countries to the point where emotions in the voice can be heard that are near identical to the OV (rarely as good, but there are exceptions).

I'd like to counter your point about dubbing being damaged art. Yes and no. Sure, many small details are lost in the process no matter how good a dub is, but at the same time you're creating new art and for some films it can actually be better, as somebody on this thread pointed out earlier. Something far worse than dubbing, which changes the film's original state, sometimes is when they provide a different cut to the film for a different region. To this day I'd argue that people in NA aren't actually watching the 'true' Casino Royale. At the very least they're not watching the same film the rest of us are and that is a shame. Releasing a Director's Cut is a further pet peeve of mine. Blade Runner for example is a mess to discuss/review because of it. So dubbing isn't even close to being the worst thing that can happen to a film.

Now I personally always prefer the OV over a dubbing and will gladly sit through a foreign film with subtitles (even if I don't need them). Although I've watched tons of English films in other languages and cannot say that it has ever destroyed a film. (Don't have much experience with foreign films dubbed in English because I choose subtitles like I said.) But I make an exception with Bond films because I've grown so accustomed to everyone's real voices by watching them one thousand times over that I simply refuse to ever hear it dubbed.

P.S. I will add that I do find it ridiculous when people use the excuse of "not wanting to read" in order to watch a dubbed version of a film, because that is laziness, although if they prefer the dubbed voices through their exposure, and have greater access to watch it as such, then I've no issue whatsoever with them choosing the dubbed version.

P.P.S. I utterly loathe the OV dubbing of Lazenby's Bond as Sir Hilary Bray in OHMSS. It was lazy, of bad quality, and worsens the overall film.

+100000 Thanks for bringing some sense into this thread. Comparing dubbing, which is a honest way to make money, to heroin, which is an illegal way to kill people, is beyond ridicolous. You may hate dubbing as much as you want, but such statement is really dumb.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Indeed. Leave the original product intact and supply subs. We don't dub song lyrics or opera, do we? When I watch Russian, Italian, Chinese, ... movies, I use subs. The point is not which language is better understood or whatever, the point is to not screw up other people's work.

You do know, that they translate all the musicals into the language of the respective country it's performed? Just saying. And some of these translations are either hideous or hilarious.

@Univex: As I said above, I personally prefer the movies undubbed, at least English language movies. People of may age and younger do prefer undubbed movies, as we/they are more customed to watch those movies/TV series in English. BTW, wuith AVTAK I am grateful they dubbed Tanya Roberts, because her own voice is really annoying, she sounds like Daisy Duck in distress, the German voice is much more pleasant to listen to. Same with Kevin Costner. But, yes, basically I also prefer the undubbed versions.
    BTW, when German TV bought THE PERSUADORS, they decided to go for rather odd and silly jokes, which often did not have any relation to what the characters said. And wiuld you bleive it, whereas THE PERSUADORS were not as succesful ads the producers hoped it to be, in Germany it was a tremendous success. And apparently Curtis and Moore noted this, so they though, the German dubbing authors should write the dailogues for another series (which then would have been translated into English), but -thankfully - this never happened..
    And in the 1960's Sir Christopher Lee appeared in two German Edgar Wallace movies, and he was mot dubbed, he actually spoke German. Apparently he was able to speak and understand German, Okay, the first character was supposed to be Chinese, the other character was Australian. But apart from a slight accent, his German was perfect.
    And Peter Ustinov sometimes dubbed himself in his movies, as he also was able to speak German fluently. So at least it was his own voice.
    And in GF, Gert Fröbe had to be dubbed into English, as his German accent apparently was that heavy, that the producers feared, nobody in the UK and USA would understand a word he was saying.
    I'd like to counter your point about dubbing being damaged art. Yes and no. Sure, many small details are lost in the process no matter how good a dub is, but at the same time you're creating new art and for some films it can actually be better, as somebody on this thread pointed out earlier.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. You may be creating something new alright, but it is not what the people whose names are still all over the film have intended to make. In that sense, it can never be the better film. Even if a silken voice replaces Demi Moore's coarse voice in A Few Good Men, it wouldn't be the film they intended to release and that's what matters to me. How can I judge a movie if I'm not watching that movie?

If I took GF and replaced Connery's lines with my own dubbed lines, it wouldn't be GF anymore, it would be "Darth Dimi's Altered Version Of GF". The famous "Albert R. Broccoli and Harry Saltzman presents" would have to be omitted because those fellas never intended for me to paste my own voice over Connery's. The cast list would have to read "half of Sean Connery as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007".

And before anyone brings George Lucas into the debate, if Mister Star Wars decides to change details and replace faces and add animation about/in/to Star Wars twenty years later, then by all means Mister Star Wars can do so, because he's Mister Star Wars after all. But if chauvinism triumphs and people refuse to watch a movie in any other language than their own, then that's not the same thing.

As with the dubbing in Bond films, e.g. Nikki Van der Zyl, again, if that's the movie that got greenlit by the producers, then that's what I shall accept.

Incidentally, this isn't me worshipping at the altar of the English speaking. Sadly, many Asian movies get dubbed in America as well, from Japanimation to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragen to you-name-it. Looks like that chauvinistic attitude exists everywhere, although much less so here in Flanders. We watch all our movies in their original languages, except when it's a film made for the littles ones and even then, we can still choose between the "OV" and the dubbed version. The incentive is to get people accustomed to watching films in their original language, as they were intended, as soon as possible. That's how I learned a great deal of English in my life, picked up a few Japanese words and so on.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 1,261
    So on that count you would demand, that in GF the dubbed Gert Fröbe (i.e. his voice actor Michael Collins) should have remained undubbed for the German release with subtitles, when every German moviegoer would have noticed, that this was not Gert Fröbe's real voice? In German he dubbed himself, of course. Dubbing hjas long tradition in Germany and France and other European countries, where the majority does not speak English as their first language. In France, they call the computer "ordinateur", also "computer" is Latin, not English.
    And with DVD and Blu-ray, everybody can pick the original language when watching a movie.
    I'd like to counter your point about dubbing being damaged art. Yes and no. Sure, many small details are lost in the process no matter how good a dub is, but at the same time you're creating new art and for some films it can actually be better, as somebody on this thread pointed out earlier.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. You may be creating something new alright, but it is not what the people whose names are still all over the film have intended to make. In that sense, it can never be the better film. Even if a silken voice replaces Demi Moore's coarse voice in A Few Good Men, it wouldn't be the film they intended to release and that's what matters to me. How can I judge a movie if I'm not watching that movie?

If I took GF and replaced Connery's lines with my own dubbed lines, it wouldn't be GF anymore, it would be "Darth Dimi's Altered Version Of GF". The famous "Albert R. Broccoli and Harry Saltzman presents" would have to be omitted because those fellas never intended for me to paste my own voice over Connery's. The cast list would have to read "half of Sean Connery as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007".

As with the dubbing in Bond films, e.g. Nikki Van der Zyl, again, if that's the movie that got greenlit by the producers, then that's what I shall accept.

I don't think Daniel Craig, or anyone else on the production, gives a hoot that people are professionally dubbing over the film. Like I said, it's basically a marketing tactic which is vital for international box office. Without it you can write off around half of SP's final gross.

What is your opinion on different cuts of the same film? Technically if one single frame is missing then the film is not the same and it's not what "they intended". There should only be one cut and therefore many regions of the world wouldn't be able to distribute a film because of censorship laws. What will you do when No Time To Die is released in IMAX and most people are going to non-IMAX theaters and aren't watching the actual film then? Also, the home release version won't be the film that the filmmakers intended because it won't be in the IMAX format either. And don't get me started on the Blu-Ray color grading and corrections. I could go on, but the main point I'm trying to make is that pretty much everything isn't the intended version (whatever the heck that even means) so there's no harm in dubbing over it.

At the end of the day, audiences should be given the choice to watch it in any language they want and not be shamed into seeing the OV when there are other options.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 8,688
    Apologies if someone already said it on the past pages, but Gert Fröbe having been dubbed was just the tip of the iceberg in those times. Practically all female roles (including those played by British actresses) were initially dubbed by Nikki van der Zyl for the original version of the respective movies. And Nikki is the Berlin-born daughter of a German rabbi exiled to London in the 1930s. She even dubbed Jane Seymour in LALD, at least partly.

Robert Rietty (actually, Lucio Rietti) dubbed Strangways in DN, Largo in TB, and Tiger Tanaka in YOLT.

OK, you can always say that this dubbing was done in the original language which the actors had also pretended to speak for the shooting, so the dubbing was not that obvious as opposed to re-voicing with a lack of regard to lip movements. Still, one can tell it is not their original voice (more so than with Fröbe, actually).

But some of the greatest movies ever were created by combining actors from different countries who did NOT speak the same language, so the "original" was heavily dubbed from the beginning. In fact, there were often several "originals" in different languages, just like in the early days of sound movies they filmed the same movie two or three times for different markets. It still is most notable in the probably hundreds of French-Italian co-productions from the 1950s and onward. Take Luchino Visconti's Il gattopardo, definitely a masterpiece. The main protagonist is played by Burt Lancaster, who AFAIK spoke English during filming. The young lover was Alain Delon, acting in his native French. Then there was Claudia Cardinale, who spoke Italian for her character.

But since the movie was released "originally" both in French and Italian, all had to be dubbed at some point, and it took nothing away from the film. In Tornatore's Cinema Paradiso from the 80s the old projectionist was played by Philippe Noiret - originally in French, and the protagonist's girlfriend in later life (only in the the long director's cut) by Brigitte Fossey - also in French. For the Italian "original" (which should probably have been in Siciliian dialect, but we won't go that far, will we?) they had to be dubbed.

Once again, I don't have any desire to see a movie dubbed in a language that doesn't fit the story and location. But let's face it, dubbing as such is not necessarily a disaster or an insult to the movie. It can be a helpful tool in international cooperation and obviously also a money-saving device for the producers. And besides, I can well acknowledge and appreciate that some people do not wish to read subtitles and are distracted from the movie by them. If a majority in Germany did not wish to have dubbing, we wouldn't have had it almost universally for the last 90 years.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I wonder of No Time To Die will be translated for the Germany/Austria/Switzerland release ? It doesn‘t sound right: Keine Zeit zum Sterben. It sounds like someone is currently too busy to die, even more than in English. Any suggestion?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I wonder of No Time To Die will be translated for the Germany/Austria/Switzerland release ? It doesn‘t sound right: Keine Zeit zum Sterben. It sounds like someone is currently too busy to die, even more than in English. Any suggestion?
    My guess it will be Keine Zeit zum Sterben. I see your point that it has a bit of a different ring to it, but it's not as awkward as some other translated titles. Both those that were intentionally altered for some reason (Feuerball, Diamantenfieber, In tödlicher Mission etc.) or those which give a pretense of literal translation (Der Morgen stirbt nie, Stirb an einem anderen Tag, Ein Quantum Trost).
    edited August 2019 Posts: 1,261
    At the end of the day, audiences should be given the choice to watch it in any language they want and not be shamed into seeing the OV when there are other options.

Exact my feelings. I could not have said it better. If you prefer the OV, fine, if you prefer it dubbed in any other language, feel free to do so. I prefer the undubbed versions, but I also like watching it dubbed,
    And I also assume, it will be KEINE ZEIT ZUM STERBEN. It's not verbatim, but KEINE ZEIT ZU STERBEN would be grammatically awkward. And we had worse German titles. DER MORGEN STIRBT NIE being very strange, but then, we know, that the original title was to be TOMORROW NEVER LIES.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 23,544
    So on that count you would demand, that in GF the dubbed Gert Fröbe (i.e. his voice actor Michael Collins) should have remained undubbed for the German release with subtitles, when every German moviegoer would have noticed, that this was not Gert Fröbe's real voice? In German he dubbed himself, of course. Dubbing hjas long tradition in Germany and France and other European countries, where the majority does not speak English as their first language. In France, they call the computer "ordinateur", also "computer" is Latin, not English.
    And with DVD and Blu-ray, everybody can pick the original language when watching a movie.

1) The film as released, which includes a dubbed Fröbe, is the version people should see. It's how the film was made.
    2) Germans may gain an original Fröbe, but they lose pretty much everything else, including the original Connery. A Connery Bond without Connery's voice? That's like watching Metallica perform with Justin Bieber "singing".
    3) English isn't my first language either. So? I watch Das Experiment in German with Dutch or English subtitles (depending on where I bought the DVD); I watch La Grande Vadrouille in French with Dutch or English subtitles. I fail to see the problem. If the word "computer" is used in a film, a French subtitle can say "ordinateur". People might actually learn the meaning of the word "computer" and learning something new is never a bad thing.
    4) I agree about DVD and BR. But tell me this. Not every movie once released can be bought on DVD or BR in our home countries. It goes out of sale or it's simply never released with the proper dubs / subtitles. Well, I don't care. I buy the film on eBay or Amazon and it's possible that it comes with only English subs (or none at all). What's even better is that I have already saved a lot of money by purchasing films on eBay instead of here, in Belgium. Original prints, bought directly from the UK, usually come way cheaper. So, what does someone who cannot handle original versions of a movie do when there's a film he wants to watch but it's only available with English subs (or none at all)?

Anyway, I'm getting a tad tired of this debate so I'm ready to move on. If people want to watch 20 films featuring Samuel Jackson and never know what Sam's voice truly sounds like, fine. If people want to watch Bond films with a different title ("Opération Tonnerre" because something was wrong with "Thunderball"?) and without the legendary voices of Connery, Moore, Dalton, ..., fine. Give me all the examples of B-, C- and Z- characters that were dubbed in the versions I watch; it'll still not make me accept the fact that British secret agent James Bond talks like he was born under the Eifel Tower.
    What is your opinion on different cuts of the same film? Technically if one single frame is missing then the film is not the same and it's not what "they intended". There should only be one cut and therefore many regions of the world wouldn't be able to distribute a film because of censorship laws. What will you do when No Time To Die is released in IMAX and most people are going to non-IMAX theaters and aren't watching the actual film then? Also, the home release version won't be the film that the filmmakers intended because it won't be in the IMAX format either. And don't get me started on the Blu-Ray color grading and corrections. I could go on, but the main point I'm trying to make is that pretty much everything isn't the intended version (whatever the heck that even means) so there's no harm in dubbing over it.

I will concede that that's a very fair point.
    There's a ton to answer here, and I don't have the time right now, unfortunately. And I lack the energy to fight the masses. My opinion is out there. That's all.

I won't spoil the thread continuing to berate dubbing. I still can't see what's the problem with subtitles. And I do defend that these little things are signs of intelectual decadence - the heroin bit was figurative, I thought that was implied.

Well, I mainly agree with @DarthDimi on this subject. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read me and answer. I'll now fully concentrate on how I love the title No Time to Die ;)

Do keep talking about the funny idiosyncrasies of the different dubbing of Bond films throughout the years. That, I think, was the original point of the thread. Sorry if I led it astray.

Cheerio folks.

I don't think Daniel Craig, or anyone else on the production, gives a hoot that people are professionally dubbing over the film. Like I said, it's basically a marketing tactic which is vital for international box office. Without it you can write off around half of SP's final gross.

Agreed. And what about budget constraints? The shark in Jaws was never meant to blow up, does it mean we shouldn't watch the movie because it's not the way it was meant to be? Raiders of the Lost Ark's most famous and hilarious gag was born because Ford was sick, does it mean we shouldn't watch the movie because it wasn't released the way it was envisioned by its authors?
    edited August 2019 Posts: 23,544

Agreed. And what about budget constraints? The shark in Jaws was never meant to blow up, does it mean we shouldn't watch the movie because it's not the way it was meant to be? Raiders of the Lost Ark's most famous and hilarious gag was born because Ford was sick, does it mean we shouldn't watch the movie because it wasn't released the way it was envisioned by its authors?

It's different and you know it. When things happen during production, they influence what the final cut looks like. That's entirely different from watching Pulp Fiction in a language we weren't intended to hear, especially given, in this case, Tarantino's subtle and delicate word choices. The results are tragedies:

- lip syncs are screwed up
    - whoever I'm hearing, it's not Sam Jackson, not even close, and it takes me out of the movie
    - that scene, heavy on wordplays, has lost its entire effect now
    - an American gangster, not shy about dropping S-, F- and MF-bombs, sounds like the very opposite of that

You are trying to find flaws in my reasoning, and I'm not too proud to admit that there are probably many. But scrutinizing over my words by bringing in far-fetched counterexamples will not divert the attention from the fact that dubbing in a foreign language comes with a serious loss of quality.

Let me exemplify this with red wine. I'm saying: you're drinking this wine after overexposing it to heat and sunlight and mixing it with salt; that's how far off you have gone from drinking the wine as it was intended to be drunk. You're saying: but what if the guy who exports the wine has run out of proper glasses and makes us drink the wine through a straw; surely that's not how it was inteded to be drunk either. I'm saying: that's quite different and you know it. ;-)
    "Post-release" dubbing? It's performed by hired professionals during post-production and simultaneously sent to theaters along with the original version. Pretty simple.
    "Post-release" dubbing? It's performed by hired professionals during post-production and simultaneously sent to theaters along with the original version. Pretty simple.

Okay, I fixed that little detail. ;-)

But hey, fine by me. Again, if people want to watch NTTD, starring Daniel Craig but then without his voice because reading subtitles puts too big a strain on them; if, in other cases, chauvinism prevents people from welcoming a foreign language in their midst, ... whatever the reason, I'll happily let them.