Any non-Bond film.....Comments while you watch...

Comments

Nearing the climax.................Dracula goes to kill Renfield for ratting him out and betraying him.
    Langella is great here as he snaps Renfield's neck.

This is by far my favorite Renfield death scene.
    RENNNNNNNNNNN FIELD
    Dracula has to run back to the castle carrying Lucy in his arms.
    Great score here.
    The chase is on............and the music is very Indiana Jones here.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 15,808
    The Count is aboard a ship back to Rumania.
    Van Helsing and the ineffectual Harker catch up to the ship in feeble attempt to stake the Count.
    As much as I'm making fun of the wimpy Harker here, I love Trevor Eve's performance. Completely memorable, and unlike SOME Harkers, he speaks with a true English accent.

Dracula just staked Van Helsing....................and is about to snap Harker's neck.

When the dying Van Helsing releases a hook into the Counts back.......................

and he is hoisted up into the sunlight.
    Dracula ages and the skin peels from his face.

His cape looks like black crepe paper.
    and he flies off .............................

Lucy smiles..........................

THE END.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    DRACULA (1979)

Frank Langella!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my favorite versions.

Langella has entered the scene and is about to enjoy some dinner.

He's just removed a beautiful velvet cape with a deep burgundy lining. Hard to see the lining here, because this is the de-saturated version.
    I love that part. What really makes it work is the contrast between Dracula's supremely confident behavior and Sylvester McCoy's hesitant, befuddled reaction to him, as if there was something superhuman and inscrutable about the man.

I've only seen the desaturated version. I rather like it. The lack of color without going into full B&W gives the film an oppresive atmosphere. Though I've read the original version is beautiful as well.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm not keen on that version. Very stylish, but.... it lacks bite. My top 3 are the 1931 film, the Dan Curtis one with Palance as Dracula, and the Nosferatu remake. I would follow those up with some of the Hammer films, starting with The Satanic Rites Of Dracula.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    DRACULA (1979)

Frank Langella!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my favorite versions.

Langella has entered the scene and is about to enjoy some dinner.

He's just removed a beautiful velvet cape with a deep burgundy lining. Hard to see the lining here, because this is the de-saturated version.
    I love that part. What really makes it work is the contrast between Dracula's supremely confident behavior and Sylvester McCoy's hesitant, befuddled reaction to him, as if there was something superhuman and inscrutable about the man.

I've only seen the desaturated version. I rather like it. The lack of color without going into full B&W gives the film an oppresive atmosphere. Though I've read the original version is beautiful as well.

What I find interesting, is the various VHS editions looked different regardless. The very earliest transfers had a deep bluish hue throughout. Then I had one copy that had a yellowish hue. I gave that copy to a friend who described it as if someone had pissed all over it.

The 1984 VHS release however, is the one I remember looking closest to the cinema. A very warm golden look throughout with rich colors and deep flesh tones. Beautiful and striking, especially for the castle sequences.

When Badham went to re-color the film for the laser disc edition, he had said John Huston's coloring for MOBY DICK was an inspiration. It's a pity the Blu-ray didn't provide a theatrical version as well as the "director's" edition.
    @MajorDSmythe
    I love those versions as well, especially the Dan Curtis Jack Palance Dracula. I'll probably pop it in and comment on it sometime soon. That's one I need to get the blu-ray of, as it has the European theatrical version. The DVD used the regular television cut.

Nice to see some appreciation for SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA. I'm a big Hammer fan and felt that one was underrated.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe
    I love those versions as well, especially the Dan Curtis Jack Palance Dracula. I'll probably pop it in and comment on it sometime soon. That's one I need to get the blu-ray of, as it has the European theatrical version. The DVD used the regular television cut.

I don't know about the BR, but I have the R1 DVD (before it became available in the UK) that comes with two retrospective interviews, one with Palance and one with Curtis. Worth seeking out if the BR doesn't have them. In the Palance one, he reveals that he had offers to reprise the role, but turned them down out of fear of the role. We could have had more Palance:Dracula films.
    Nice to see some appreciation for SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA. I'm a big Hammer fan and felt that one was underrated.

I understand why it isn't liked that much. But personally, I love the mix of a contemporary Dracula film, and a spy thriller. Though from what I gather, Lee was being emotionally blackmailed into making them by this point.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    What did you guys think of The Brides of Dracula? I'm a Hammer fan myself and I always thought that film was underrated.
    Remington wrote: »
    What did you guys think of The Brides of Dracula? I'm a Hammer fan myself and I always thought that film was underrated.

The Brides Of Dracula... I don't watch that one unless I am watching all the Hammer films. That said, I wouldn't dare say it is one of the worst Dracula films, there have been some atrocious films made featuring the count.
    Remington wrote: »

It's pretty cool as a spin-off. I like Baron Meinster's character. Different to Lee's Count with the pale blue/gray cloak and blond locks. MOTHER!!!! COME HERE..........

The one element that I'm nit picky about is that it lacks a James Bernard score.
    Got a little bit of time now I'm off work so here goes..........

SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN (1951)
    1950's B movie sci fi at it's best especially in the titles.
    Image of George Reeves in space later to be used on the television series.
    WELCOME TO SILSBY

Small town in anywhere USA. Workers are digging a huge hole.
    Reporters Clark Kent and Lois Lane (PHYLLIS COATES) arrive to cover the story. Deepest oil well of all time- 6 miles down.
    Nice miniature of the oil well tower..............and they arrive climbing up from beneath the earth.
    The munchkin cast of THE WIZARD OF OZ dresses as little furry creatures.
    I believe this was shot on the Mayberry set at RKO's 40 Acres lot.

The oil well groundskeeper just kicked the bucket.

Clark and Lois discover his body as the mystery unfolds.

Lois spots a mole man peaking thru the window and screams. Phyllis Coates had a GREAT scream.

Clark rushes to help. Unlike other Clark Kents, George Reeves was a tough determined bad ass reporter.
    Lot of B movie character actors appeared on ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN. This film was essentially the pilot that sold the series (even though it took 2 years to get a sponsor).
    George Reeves remains my favorite Kent/Superman. I love the film noir and sci fi look of the black and white shows. This film is a combination of both.
    George wore the same style blue/gray double breast suit throughout the 6 year run.

He's about 37 here.

They're investigating the radio active contamination the Mole Men bring to the earth's surface.
    The Mole Men climb thru the bedroom window of a young BEVERLY WASHBURN, so memorable years later in a classic LEAVE IT TO BEAVER episode as Wally's Blind Date.
    The town locals are about to start a search for the Mole Men a'la FRANKENSTEIN.

George Reeves tells them to chill out.