What and when was your first experience of 007 ?

Comments

Back in the early 70s I saw GF and LALD on the telly. I distinctly remember the scene where Jill was covered in gold paint, and I remember the green snake being used to murder the British agent in LALD.

Not certain which I saw first. Goldfinger could have conceivably have been as early as 1970, but was probably later than that. Obviously, LALD could not have been before 1974.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    it was somewhere around 1997. I was 6 years old and I had just got an N64 with Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye. Then a few months later I saw the movie and it changed my life forever. I was introduced to the world of James Bond, and I loved what I saw.
    We were university students in late 1950s and read the Bond novels, the writing was different and there was something in Fleming's writing that attracted us. One of my university friends purchased "From Russia with Love" in 1958, and we read it in turn and soon "Dr NO" etc..

Cool!

Goldfinger, 1964 Chinese theatre Hollywood Ca, then read the novels and then saw the re-release of FWL and DR. Hooked for life.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    @delfloria, I take it you're an original! If so, please add your views to this thread:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3341/for-original-fans-1962-1972-skyfall-reviews/p31#Item_918

It's always a great read for those of us who weren't around.
    My Dad took my brother and I to see a Bond Double-Feature back in 1974 or '75. The films were "Live and Let Die" and "The Man With The Golden Gun". So I'm guessing that it might have been late '74, early '75.
    Anyway, the speedboat chase in LALD was fantastic, and by the time Roger Moore flicked the bezel on his Rolex to cut the ropes off his wrists, I was hooked on both Bond and wristwatches.
    My brother bought the movie tie-in version of "Live and Let Die" and I read it a few years later, thinking how different it was to the film. I must have been about twelve or thirteen. This is way before the world got all PC and touchy-feely.
    A few years after that, I bought "Dr No" and later read all of the Fleming novels and watched all of the Bond films as they came up on TV and at the cinema.
    And I haven't looked back since.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    I remember being about 6 and I was watching Thunderball for the first time and then I remember seeing Bond in his hotel room and a blonde haired man with dark glasses on and him saying "Well hello 007" and getting punched in the groin or stomach and laughing my head off as I was 6 ( I do know this is Felix Leiter) Also watching TND as My first film also being 6 my dad had to skip the scene with the Prof. (Awkward) and then I remember watching them all and LTK a helpless guy (Leiter) getting lowered into a shark pool and Bond seeing Della dead and Sanchez getting burned to death also getting confused with OHMSS & FYEO. Also falling asleep in YOLT because I watched it like 3 times in 2 days because I remember seeing Blofeld with a scar on his face and thinking it was awesome.
    GE64 was my first Bond experience.
    TWINE was my first film, on VHS. DAD was my first in the theater.
    FRWL was my first Bond novel

I was no older than 4 when I first played GE64, I was 7 when I saw TWINE and DAD, and I was probably 10 when I read FRWL.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned

I was no older than 4 when I first played GE64, I was 7 when I saw TWINE and DAD, and I was probably 10 when I read FRWL.

TND game is how I got into Bond in the first place.
  • A TB/YOLT double feature in 1968, age 7. Saw all the movies by 1970 and then read the books before the Moore era started. Ditto @delfloria, hooked for life.

TND game is how I got into Bond in the first place.

Ooh, my condolences. I remember having that game as a kid (I got it, I think, for my 8th birthday actually) just after I'd seen the film and had, by this point, seen about half of the movies. And even back then, as a little kid who took pretty much any video game as at least "enjoyable", I really thought it was crap. Glad you stuck to the series, but if that was your introduction to the whole thing, I wouldn't blame you for never returning to it lol
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Back in the early 70s I saw GF and LALD on the telly. I distinctly remember the scene where Jill was covered in gold paint, and I remember the green snake being used to murder the British agent in LALD.

Not certain which I saw first. Goldfinger could have conceivably have been as early as 1970, but was probably later than that. Obviously, LALD could not have been before 1974.

US TV Premiere: 17th September 1972, ABC
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/movies/gf.php3
    It was the first Bond film to show on the small-screen. It was a big deal at the time. Bond on TV.

My first experience of Bond was DAF in cinema as a boy. The movie posters looked exciting, but the actual experience was even better. The film blew me away.
    Dad, I think thought it might be safe for kids, but quickly realized shortly into the film that it was adult fare, but too late, me and my pals,after that opening pts, were already wide-eyed and bouncing in our seats. We weren't going anywhere.
    It was all I could think about for weeks, and it wasn't Connery that got me, it was the whole 007 escapist/danger vibe. I was hooked on all things Bond from that point.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 169
    I was 9 years old. My younger brother & I went to see our first "grown up" movie without a parent and it was LALD during its original run in 1973! We already knew Roger Moore from reruns of "The Saint" on TV and were excited to see him on the big screen. I was a Bond fan from then on & even though I now rank LALD towards the bottom it still has that sentimental connection for me 40 years later.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,929
    I saw my first Bond films in 1994 at age 11. It was a Friday night TV double feature of FYEO and Spy. The following night, FRWL was on. Besides liking the sound of the films as described in the TV guide, I found it interesting that there was more than one actor to play the role, so I decided to check them out. That was the best decision I've ever made. :-bd

Films in order of viewing (approx) - Year of first viewing - Media first viewed on

FYEO/TSWLM - 1994 - TV (double feature)
    FRWL - 1994 - TV

YOLT - 1996/7 - VHS
    LALD - 1996/7 - VHS
    TLD - 1996/7 - VHS
    OP - 1996/7 - VHS
    GF - 1996/7 - VHS
    DN - 1996/7 - VHS
    GE - 1996/7 - VHS
    TMWTGG - 1996/7 - VHS
    DAF - 1996/7 - VHS
    OHMSS - 1996/7 - VHS
    LTK - 1996/7 - VHS
    MR - 1996/7 - VHS

TB - 1997 - VHS
    TND - 1997 - cinema

NSNA - 1998/9 - TV

TWINE - 1999 - cinema

AVTAK - 2001/2 - VHS

DAD - 2002 - cinema
    CR - 2006 - cinema
    QOS - 2008 - cinema
    CR'67 - 2008/9 - TV
    SF - 2012 - cinema
  • New user, first post.
    My first 007 experience was Goldeneye 007. The N64 game however, not the movie. I came across that, and the whole Bond universe later.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    My very first Bond experience was in theatre in 1997 watching TND. I was 7. Since then I've been in cinema for each outing.

The first DVD I had was also TND. Before receiving the collector box of 2006.

The first novel I read was Carte Blanche...
  • timmer wrote:

US TV Premiere: 17th September 1972, ABC
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/movies/gf.php3
    It was the first Bond film to show on the small-screen. It was a big deal at the time. Bond on TV.

My first experience of Bond was DAF in cinema as a boy. The movie posters looked exciting, but the actual experience was even better. The film blew me away.
    Dad, I think thought it might be safe for kids, but quickly realized shortly into the film that it was adult fare, but too late, me and my pals,after that opening pts, were already wide-eyed and bouncing in our seats. We weren't going anywhere.
    It was all I could think about for weeks, and it wasn't Connery that got me, it was the whole 007 escapist/danger vibe. I was hooked on all things Bond from that point.

Thanks, timmer. September 17, 1972 was my dad's 29th birthday. Now I know how he celebrated it!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    A TB/YOLT double feature in 1968, age 7.
    You beat me to Bond by three years! I had memories of having seen Goldfinger on TV prior to seeing DAF in the theatre, but I guess that's not possible. So, Diamonds Are Forever, winter of 1971 at the United Artist Meadowbrook theatre on Hempstead Tpk, Long Island NY was my first Bond experience!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I guess it was some time in the early 1990s seeing a Roger Moore film like LALD and TMWTGG and Sean Connery with GF and DAF on TV.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I read a James Bond Agent 007 comic magazine in the early 70s, RIVER OF DEATH. I might have been 4 years old, it belonged to my dad. On page two there was a picture from the latest film, OHMSS that looked really cool. George Lazenby in a car threatened with a knife by Draco s thug.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 97
    The very first was in 2000, I guess; my family had a VHS Rental store and was watching TWINE when I wondered why Elektra was only wearing an earring with Bond in the bed. I was around 9 at that time. Technically, CR is my first serious Bond watching and the film made me interested in all the Bond movies.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Welll my first Expirience with Bond was with Die another day and im so glad it was in theaters.

I was in high school and i remeber loving the ice Palace and the invisible car. I was really Blown away with that place.

I also loved Pierce as Bond so i was really sad when i knew he was gonna be replaced by the next film.

Anyway since Die Another day i watched all the latter Bond movies in theaters except Quantum since for some reasons I didn't get the chance.

Now i became a true Bond fan this year since i watched all the Bond films i never watched before and all because of The November man.

That film( The November man) reminded me to first to watch the 3 films with Pierce i didn't see before then i felt i should check Quantum and then went with the whole franchise.
    My first visual experience of Bond, was being taken to the cinema as a young lad, probably early 1972, to see DAF.........i remember thinking it was a very good film, but i did think that Bond looked older than what i had expected him to be like.
    I also remember Wint & Kidd.........i thought they were a funny pair of guys, walking around together, holding hands.
    The scenes that really stuck in my memory, were the scorpion down the back of the neck, and being cremated alive.........nasty!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 162
    My first experience with Bond was kind of unfortunate. My parents had rented TWINE and we're watching it, while I was in and out of the room. I guess I was 13 or 14. I remember thinking it was ridiculous, especially the buzz saw helicopter at the end. I even remember telling someone who said they were a Bond fan at school that they were dumb action films. It was actually that same year that a friend convinced me that I would like some of them, and he showed me TLD. That time I was sold. TLD is still my favorite and TWINE is still my least!
    My father was suppose to take me to a Disney movie and I got to see Goldfinger. I was 5 or 6. I remember the Aston Martin DB5. We would ride in my dad's car and it had a center console. I always thought I would see 2 rows of switches when I would open it. My first date was to Live and Let Die. Since Goldfinger, I have seen every Bond movie on opening night. College forward, each has been a dinner date.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sounds terrific. Respect.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    1995's GoldenEye. I watched the other Brosnan films and I believe I bought the ultimate DVD collection to watch the rest.
  • DesmondBoothroydDesmondBoothroyd New England, USA
    Dr. No in 1962, which cemented Sean Connery as Bond in my mind. Having read the book before the film was released, it also introduced me to how different a scene in a film was, when compared to the novel. In this case, the scene where Bond makes his way through the pipes of varying temperatures, rushing water, etc., when escaping his cell. Fleming's depiction of that scene was so detailed, and so much more menacing than what was captured on film. To this day, it is a very rare exception when a film equals or exceeds the novel on which it is based. Still, it began a lifetime being a Bond fan, most recently adding both Spectre and Trigger Mortis to the list this year, and enjoying them both very much.
    GoldenEye 64.

My friend and I rented it one night not knowing what it was when we went to Blockbuster one night with his mother. The next day my mom asked how it went and what we did and upon telling her how much I loved the game, she was like "If you loved the game, you'd probably love the movies too" and to my shock I said "THERE ARE MOVIES!?"

That night, my mom took me to Blockbuster and rented Goldfinger and GoldenEye for me and my love of the franchise began.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    My first Bond memory was seeing the TWINE poster at a furniture store when I was three.
    Then mine would have to be buying the Dr. No comic in 1962.