Danny Boyle Film Club

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I watched A Life Less Ordinary tonight.
    I'm still a little nervous about Boyle's digital cinematography. I found this forum online which raises similar concerns:
    http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=75922

Tell me which you prefer:

post-69480-0-40516800-1511885064.jpg
    post-69480-0-42082500-1511887035.jpg

It has a unusual digital sheen which gives it an odd greeny tinge.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I'm still a little nervous about Boyle's digital cinematography. I found this forum online which raises similar concerns:

Is he using the patented SP Pissfilter™?

Maybe that's what impressed EON? He also plans to pointlessly blow up half the budget and ruin one of Fleming's iconic characters.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,241

Is he using the patented SP Pissfilter™?

Maybe that's what impressed EON? He also plans to pointlessly blow up half the budget and ruin one of Fleming's iconic characters.

:))
    SP is incredibly yellow, isn't it. «This need more yellow. Someone take a leak on this lens before we start shooting!» In comparison, those shots from T2(?) looks like have been washed with Listerine. Can't say I like it at all.
    I watched Millions last night.

Millions.jpg

I rather enjoyed it. It’s certainly an interesting detour for Boyle, as it’s an unabashed family/kid’s film. However, don’t let that deter you, Millions is thoroughly charming and heartwarming.

Boyle’s optimistic and sunny energy shines throughout the film. I have to say, I’m a bit of an old cynic, so the positive twee cuteness of the whole affair did alienate me during the first half. Also, I also didn’t anticipate quite for Christian the film would be. It’s surprising to see a British film so openly embrace such a religious and charitable message. However, I found the message to often be ham-fisted and awkwardly woven into the plot.

However, the latter half of the film is much more energetic and endearing. Boyle is much more comfortable with the ‘thriller’ elements of the story, than the more mawkish qualities.

The film has great pace and the children prove to be wonderful company. Boyle’s filmmaking quirks are on hand to keep the story energetic and is use of colour really makes the whole affair come to life with an exuberant childlike wonder. The photography and style of the film embrace the magic-realism and sunny hues of the story (despite the Xmas setting). Though the deliberately unstarry nature of the production can make it feel a bit BBC TV movie.

Nonetheless, it’s a minor work from Boyle but a thoroughly charming and well-made exercise that eventually won me over. I enjoyed it thoroughly (I may have even got a bit teary at one point)

4/5
    Cool video about Boyle's use of dutch angles:

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the dutch angle in general. However, Boyle's sparse use and implementation is very effective and visually impressive. When he does it, I like it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm not big on the dutch angle, either. It can be quite jarring, but I didn't mind it in too much in 28 Days Later. Still got to get around to checking out the Trainspotting movies.
    Trainspotting was the must see movie of that year. All my pals and workmates were talking about it. It doesn't quite hold up today and I can't say I personally like much of Boyles output since. Hated A Life Less Ordinary and Slumdog Millionaire. The Beach didn't too much for me either! Haven't seen 127 Hours, but Trance is entertaining! I'm still not sure he's a match for Bond. Mind you I knew of Marc Fosters previous films and wouldn't have had him on the list and I love what he did with QOS so I'm hoping for the best with Bond 25!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Trainspotting was the must see movie of that year. All my pals and workmates were talking about it. It doesn't quite hold up today and I can't say I personally like much of Boyles output since. Hated A Life Less Ordinary and Slumdog Millionaire. The Beach didn't too much for me either! Haven't seen 127 Hours, but Trance is entertaining! I'm still not sure he's a match for Bond. Mind you I knew of Marc Fosters previous films and wouldn't have had him on the list and I love what he did with QOS so I'm hoping for the best with Bond 25!

Trainspotting doesn't hold up today? Nonsense.

It's a great film that's expertly made. It has an anarchic, irreverent spirit. It's creatively daring and full to the brim with energy. It's a brilliant film that has signalled the arrival of a genuinely singular filmmaker. Beyond that the characters are pitched perfectly.

I don't think Boyle has made a better film since.

However, his filmmaking style has changed greatly. Despite this, his films are undeniably 'Danny Boyle' films. His style and editing is very particular to him and when others imitate it, I can hardly stand it. But Boyle makes it work.

His use of cinematography is far less 'artful' as Sam Mendes (the high benchmark of the series) but it's much more experimental and unique

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Going through the Boyle films one by one, in random order, and really enjoying it so far.
    I was quite happy when he announced he is in the running, because i knew he has a remarkable filmography, which i only've seen a fraction of.
    So far on my Boyleathon i have seen:

Sunshine;
    That Movie was on my to do list for years i just never found the time or right mood. I am a huge sci fi fan, maybe my favorite genre, and i love astrology/space travel, so this was a no brainer for me to start with.
    The movie itself is probably the most tense he has ever done. You can feel that stakes at every corner, ever little mistake can end humanity. It's very well done, has a great ensemble cast and definitly worth seeing.

28 Days Later;
    I have seen that movie a couple of times, but not in years.
    I think it is overall very good with a tense story, but it is not as pleasant to look at due to the low budget, which of course was a deliberate decision to make it feel as real as possible, taking some possible inspiration from found footage movies. All in all a good movie but not something i will re-watch in the forseeable future.

Trance;
    The cast is very good. The story is well thought out (at least thats my opinion) it flows very well and keeps you engaged. Only problem here, as with 28 Days later, again is that it often looks like a TV Movie. Not sure what the budget was, but it must have been low. But i know from Boyle that he usually prefers smaller budgets, so... Again, the movie, acting and story is very good overall. It definitly is a Boyle movie, has a lot of twists, and deals with some rather dark and intense stuff by the end.

Slumdog Millionaire;
    I literally just finished watching that movie. Damn, that was good.
    Easily his best work so far and a good indicator of how his Bond movie could at least look. Here the Budget is used wisely. I have to compliment the cinematographer, who is able to make the worst of indias slums looks somewhat vibrant and colorful. The scope and visuals are all there, after all the cinematographer rightfully won an oscar for his work here. And what a crowdpleaser of an ending, no wonder this movie got 8 oscars.

Next up i will probably continue with The Beach and then 127 Hours.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm not big on the dutch angle, either. It can be quite jarring, but I didn't mind it in too much in 28 Days Later. Still got to get around to checking out the Trainspotting movies.
    I agree. Though it's interesting to note that when Boyle shot his Bond piece for 2012 Olympics, he avoided using Dutch angles and instead went for the more traditionalist approach. Maybe he'll be more traditional shooting B25 as well? That is, if he indeed gets the gig.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I agree. Though it's interesting to note that when Boyle shot his Bond piece for 2012 Olympics, he avoided using Dutch angles and instead went for the more traditionalist approach. Maybe he'll be more traditional shooting B25 as well? That is, if he indeed gets the gig.

He kept it to a minimum in his first episode of Trust, as well as in Steve Jobs.
    In Slumdog Millionaire i barely noticed them to be honest. They were well used.
    Who do we anticipate Danny Boyle will get to be his DP? He tends to work with the same people.

He has worked with the following:

1. Brian Tufano: He only shot Boyle's early films, so can likely be discounted.
    2. Darius Khondji: I would adore it if Boyle picked him. However, they worked together once 20 years ago. Also, he may have been someone mandated by the studio.
    3. Alwin H. Küchler: I like this suggestion. I don't love it. He'd be very appropriate for Bond.
    4. Anthony Dod Mantle: I'm both excited and a little scared by this choice. He has a strong and inventive visual style. But it can be a little hyper-stylised and digital for my tastes. He does have Oscar clout though. Hopefully, it will be more 'Slumdog' than 'T2'.
    5. Christopher Ross: Boyle's most recent collaborator. Also, I feel he is least likely as he's the most inexperienced.

I don't think someone like Hoytema or Deakins is suited to Boyle's visual style. They compose more elegant and filmic frames. Whilst Danny goes for more realism and kinetic vibrancy. The only thing that frightens me is that Boyle can shoot things at times that feel a little like a BBC TV film.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    I am hoping for Anthony Dod Mantle, I absolutely loved Slumdog Millionaire and it's look in particular. Same with 127 Hours. That dude got an Oscar for a reason.
    Oh and he also worked on Dredd which is a big favorite of mine.
    From that list he is easily my favorite choice by a long shot.
    One thing I've noticed about Boyle's cinematography is his use of space.

He isn't a director to overuse close-ups or mid-shots. He likes to grab a lot of the environment in a frame and have his characters exist in that space. It creates rather startling and beautiful frames. It's a fairly simple technique, but very effective in practise. It gives the frame a certain grandiosity, which smaller pictures often lack.

DUBnOJzW0AIwSSs.jpg

127-1024x554.jpg

trance-1-1024x426.jpg

DXkN8m4XUAAyfvE.jpg

DXoeT_MXkAAabr8.jpg

DZOnLLEXkAI2pLu.jpg

Dd8LqqZVwAAfF6x.jpg

DYhQ9IsW4AArkig.jpg
    The Beach is free on Comcast now. Should I give it a watch?
    The Beach is free on Comcast now. Should I give it a watch?

Yes.
    It is not perfect and pretty much falls apart in the last third but the cinematography is great and Boyle really sells the Paradise aspect of the island that they are stranded on. It is a beautiful movie to look at. The cast is mostly good too.
    I watched The Beach. Can we discuss that video game scene =))
    I watched The Beach. Can we discuss that video game scene =))

It’s corny.

That’s a bit a problem with Boyle’s style. It dates very quickly…
    I wonder if he'll use Franklin Gothic Heavy for Bond 25.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited June 2018 Posts: 2,721
    The Beach has two central problems.

One is Di Caprio's character is unlikeable and Boyle has been forthright in admitting that he and Hodge got halfway through filming when they realised they didn't actually like their lead character.

The second reason is that the adaptation of the novel isn't Hodge's finest hour. It's not bad, it's just that the third act fizzles out and doesn't have a strong enough climax worthy of the insidious paradise lost idea at its heart.

And on a side note I remember that The Beach fell right in the middle of the five year gap between 1997 and 2002 which was about the worst time to cast Di Caprio. Both in his sometimes awkward film choices at that point and his ubiquitous tabloid media presence (he was insanely hot property after Romeo and Juliet and Titanic) it wasn't until he did the double whammy of Speilberg and Scorsese in 2002 and 2003 that he started to really control the direction of his career (and he hasn't looked back.)

One is Di Caprio's character is unlikeable and Boyle has been forthright in admitting that he and Hodge got halfway through filming when they realised they didn't actually like their lead character.

The second reason is that the adaptation of the novel isn't Hodge's finest hour. It's not bad, it's just that the third act fizzles out and doesn't have a strong enough climax worthy of the insidious paradise lost idea at its heart.

And on a side note I remember that The Beach fell right in the middle of the five year gap between 1997 and 2002 which was about the worst time to cast Di Caprio. Both in his sometimes awkward film choices at that point and his ubiquitous tabloid media presence (he was insanely hot property after Romeo and Juliet and Titanic) it wasn't until he did the double whammy of Speilberg and Scorsese in 2002 and 2003 that he started to really control the direction of his career (and he hasn't looked back.)

Was The Beach among his odd choices? He wasn't really likeable in there, no.
    Anyone concerned about Boyle's ability to stage action should watch this clip from T2.

The fight scene between Renton and Sick Boy is beautifully scrappy, feral and alive. Boyle's trademark style is on show, but there is an honest and ugly feel to the fight which gives it a real authentic flavour. It doesn't feel like "movie violence"; it feels real. In this sense, it reminds me a lot of Bob Simmons' action scenes in the 60's bond movies

I got T2 Trainspotting as a gift a few days ago. I was planning on getting my hands on it soon, so it was a nice surprise. I watched it and really liked it. I later dug out my old copy of the original Trainspotting and watched it for the first time in several years. Although I had forgotten several details of the story, and some of the supporting characters (Swanney, Tommy, Mikey Forrester), I remembered greatly enjoying it, and on revisiting it, it definitely held up. And with my refreshed knowledge on Trainspotting, I went ahead and watched T2 again, having seen it just two days before. Let me just say I rarely ever feel compelled to do this. But now, with both films fresh on my mind, I understood T2 better and liked it even more.

I'll just say both movies tap into something universal to the human condition, and they do so in a most unique way. They're terrific.

So anyway, I'm now looking forward to Bond 25 quite a bit more than before!
    Danny seems like a great bloke. I know it has little to do with his filmmaking career, but he gives a brief and heartfelt speech about the NHS

• edited August 2018 Posts: 4,400
    There seems to be this general impression online that Danny Boyle is a 'genius filmmaker'.
    a332c637449bc1c00419f4d907acfb8f.gif
    However, I'm not entirely convinced quite how true this statement is. He made a huge wave in the 90's as his kinetic and hyper-visual style presented a breath of fresh air. He had the trademarks of a maverick who adopted the sensibilities of the zeitgeist. His films felt like they were made by someone who was young and alive.

However, I always felt that Boyle's style has now got a little stale. His films instantly date and many of his creative decisions seem a little dodgy once time goes by. For example, shooting 28 Days Later on early digital camera may have felt like a genius idea for a zombie film at the time, but visually that film is now difficult to watch. Also some of the slow-mo sequences in Slumdog haven't aged well and many of the scene transitions in Millions are truly difficult to sit through. There are also moments in The Beach with the videogame scenes that are horrendous.

T2 was an entertaining distraction, but hardly on par with the work in the original. Steve Jobs was expertly directed but you can't help but sigh a little thinking what David Fincher would have done. Trance was generally derided on release.

Wasn't Boyle always on a downward slope? Clearly he had lost that edge that made him such a maverick in the 90's. (It probably happened around the time he stopped taking MDMA and going to warehouse parties.)

Personally, I always thought his style wasn't apt for Craig's finale. However, there is a deeper issue concerning his suitability. I just don't think he's a compelling enough storyteller with a voice that has much relevance these days. He was an edgy filmmaker in the 90s. But I think we’re all a bit over glowsticks and Underworld soundtracks….

I found Yann Demange to be a far more dynamic and exciting choice. I’m a little gutted that EON had to go back to plundering the depths of the A-list again.

I see Danny Boyle as an old raver who is still at the party long after the point he should have gone home. I think he needed a creative rebrand, sadly it won't be Bond 25.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 4,400
    I know that he may no longer be directing Bond 25, but I thought I'd continue looking over Danny Boyle's filmography. I was able to re-watch 28 Days Later last night and, boy, is it terrific.

ShockingLeafyKilldeer-small.gif

Aside from being a more than satisfying genre film, 28 Days Later is able to explore an interesting political allegory whilst reflecting seriously on the fragility of modern civilisation. Danny Boyle has produced a visceral film that is grim and anxiety-inducing.

The film is rather clearly split into three parts. The first section is set in a desolate London. It'll never not be haunting seeing the typical postcard images of the Thames, Westminster Bridge and St. Paul's Cathedral take on a funereal glow. It's made more prescient when considering the film was released a year after 9/11. There is something very strange about seeing these familiar locations in such quiet disarray (those who also live in London will acknowledge this - especially with the 2011 riots in mind). For example, just look at the moment at the Statue of Eros, it feels feasibly real. At the time of release in 2002, there was a real anxiety and fear of being in big cities and this is expertly channeled into 28 Days Later.

This is a film where Boyle's usual tics and kineticism is restrained and instead he has made a nihilistic and (at times) depressingly grim movie. Nonetheless, the second part of the film, which is effectively a road movie, is equally as terrific and gives Boyle a chance to inject some optimism, albeit caveated. There is a loose quality to this section which allows the characters a chance to breathe and develop. They feel real and you build genuine affection for them. This portion is more playful and the shards of hope weaved into the story makes the story more arresting.

tumblr_ouu7tuYJis1ut1d6co2_500.gif

The final element is the most dubious. It's clear the story was running out of juice but the 'haunted house' finale is perfectly staged by Boyle. The vulgarity of human nature is nicely explored with the soldiers who are truly terrifying in how quickly they have freed themselves from the shackles of their own humanity and become something more carnal.

The finale is sharp and the editing is riddled with tension. It's a pure sensory overload and a muscular and alive piece of filmmaking. Boyle is a terrific director at inducing anxiety in his audience and bringing them closer to the edge of their seats in chase sequences. He is ably assisted by the fantastic score by John Murphy.

I also thought I was going to hate the early digital cinematography, however, it works perfectly. It gives the film edgy and an immediate feel. This is a post-apocalyptic movie that feels it survived and has vulgarly been retrofitted for VHS consumption. also, DP Antony Dod Mantle gives the film a surprising grungy beauty and many of the shoots are masterfully composed. It was a bold and brave choice to use DV and it works.

I really loved this film. It's a proper 5* affair and shows Boyle can do low-budget smart genre thrills.
    Cillian Murphy would be a great Bond villain or maybe Bond himself imo
  • LeChiffre wrote: »
    Cillian Murphy would be a great Bond villain or maybe Bond himself imo

@LeChiffre He'd make a great Bond

cillian-m-4-752x501.png
    It'll be interesting to see how the remake of The Beach shapes up. Garland broke the news during a reddit AMA (via The Playlist), where he revealed that “someone very talented” is currently working on “a possible adaptation,” adding that he’s ‘really interested to see what they write.” I wonder who Garland was referring to?