Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    FRWL vs. DAD is a no-brainer (imho).

But OHMSS vs. QoS is tough (for me):

Overall atmosphere: OHMSS
    Action sequences: Undecided (both are top notch)
    Story: OHMSS
    Bond Actor: QoS
    Soundtrack: Undecided (to me QoS is Arnold's best)
    Bond girl: Undecided (I just love the Camille character but Tracy also ...)
    Villain: OHMSS
    Best scene: QoS (Tosca)

In the end for me it's Craig vs. Lazenby and Craig wins. In the end this is something I could not really decide upon to be honest

I am a bit confused. Is it OHMSS, or is it a tie? Which is fair enough.

And this round is FRWL vs MR, FRWL vs DAD hasn t been done yet. People were just eager to get worked up in advance over hypothetical future votes. Ha ha, if people slam you for your opinion, just laugh it off. I am prepared for that myself during a few GE rounds to come up later.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    It‘s QoS over OHMSS by a narrow margin for me due to Craig over Lazenby
    And I assume you prefer FRWL over MR as well?
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    And I assume you prefer FRWL over MR as well?

Absolutely.
    Unsurprisingly, yet another beating done by the 60s films, and the biggest yet. Might as well get a few of those out of the way.

FRWL beats MR 28-4

OHMSS beats QOS 29-3

Round 5:

YOLT vs MR

and

OHMSS vs OP
    YOLT over MR - Comfortable win for YOLT here. YOLT isn't a Top 10 entry for me, but I still think it's good and definitely superior to MR, which is right at the bottom of my ranking.

OHMSS over OP - IMO: OP is a good Bond film, but OHMSS is a great one. OHMSS will beat everything except CR for me in this tournament.
  • GBFGBF
    YOLT over MR

OHMSS over OP
    First tricky decision. Both YOLT and MR are so similar in story and style, and they both have some of the same strengths and weaknesses. YOLT wins, by the skin of it's teeth for me. I usually rank it higher and feel I should be consistent, although MR is superior on certain elements like the villain and humor.

The other one is easy of course. OHMSS all the way!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Birdleson wrote: »
    YOLT by a huge margin,
    OHMSS by a very large margin.

Seconded.
    YOLT beats MR easily.
    OHMSS beats OP but OP is one of my favourite Bond films.
    I agree with the rest here.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    YOLT and OHMSS
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    This is a little tougher round than the last one.

YOLT vs MR - tough choice actually. I enjoy both of Gilbert's mega blockbusters. They are both visually incredible and epic in scope and concept. I believe Roger Moore more readily fits into these sort of approaches and films and there are a lot of elements of MR (particularly the humour) that I much prefer to YOLT. The earlier half of both films are incredibly atmospheric and stylish. YOLT by a hair.

OHMSS vs OP - I enjoy both for different reasons, because they are such different types of Bond films. OHMSS takes it for its Fleming plot, beautiful cinematography and 60's vibe, but OP puts up a close fight on account of Roger's performance, the overall charisma/entertainment value of the film, and the great villain roster.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,449
    YOLT vs MR: MR, by a very narrow margin. I know it's blasphemous and all that but there are simply more things in YOLT that trouble me. At least in MR, our James Bond was with us.

OHMSS vs OP: OHMSS, no-brainer.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited December 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Finally a bit of a contest.

YOLT v MR - MR: The most outlandish Connery film v the most outlandish Moore film. It's exceedingly close but if you're going for an outlandish romp then the man you want with his hand on the tiller to guide you effortlessly through is Rog every time. This sort of film really isn't Sean's forte even if he could be arsed and apart from the laser battle I think there is more scientific accuracy in the space shuttles than SPECTRE's re-entry vehicle (not to mention hollowing out a volcano). The first half of YOLT is a bit plodding too (the wedding scene goes on forever) and whilst the last act smashes it out of the park MR has done enough in the first half (staggering PTS, centrifuge, Corinne's death, museum fight) to hang on for all the ludicrousness of the final space denouement (the effects and Barry's score holding off a sustained YOLT attack). They both put it all up on the screen but, whilst Bond probably really shouldn't go into space, MR has the cojones to slap it's cock down on the table and say 'Get a load of that' and you simply have to admire such chutzpah.

OHMSS v OP - OHMSS: A hard decision but I'm not going to one of these 'I am entitled to my opinion' cretins and deliberately be obtuse for the sake of it. I adore OP and for sheer entertainment it really can't be beaten and once Bond arrives in Germany we have a sequence till the bomb is defused to rival anythng in the series. But you can't overlook the fact that OHMSS is purest 100% proof Bond and that's going to be very tough for anyone to beat.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,984
    I actually prefer MR over YOLT. But OHMSS over OP, as much as I like the latter.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    YOLT and OP
    MR and OHMSS.
    MR and OP.

...come and get me you bastards!!11
    MR and OHMSS.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Definitely MR. It was a favorite as a child and while I may not feel quite as strongly about it now, it definitely has the advantage over YOLT, which I struggle with these days to be honest.

OHMSS is the obvious choice here, but I do love me some OP as well.

YOLT v MR - MR: The most outlandish Connery film v the most outlandish Moore film. It's exceedingly close but if you're going for an outlandish romp then the man you want with his hand on the tiller to guide you effortlessly through is Rog every time. This sort of film really isn't Sean's forte even if he could be arsed and apart from the laser battle I think there is more scientific accuracy in the space shuttles than SPECTRE's re-entry vehicle (not to mention hollowing out a volcano). The first half of YOLT is a bit plodding too (the wedding scene goes on forever) and whilst the last act smashes it out of the park MR has done enough in the first half (staggering PTS, centrifuge, Corinne's death, museum fight) to hang on for all the ludicrousness of the final space denouement (the effects and Barry's score holding off a sustained YOLT attack). They both put it all up on the screen but, whilst Bond probably really shouldn't go into space, MR has the cojones to slap it's cock down on the table and say 'Get a load of that' and you simply have to admire such chutzpah.

OHMSS v OP - OHMSS: A hard decision but I'm not going to one of these 'I am entitled to my opinion' cretins and deliberately be obtuse for the sake of it. I adore OP and for sheer entertainment it really can't be beaten and once Bond arrives in Germany we have a sequence till the bomb is defused to rival anythng in the series. But you can't overlook the fact that OHMSS is purest 100% proof Bond and that's going to be very tough for anyone to beat.

This is why @TheWizardOfIce should be in charge of the next Bond production.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    DarthDimi wrote: »

This is why @TheWizardOfIce should be in charge of the next Bond production.

I agree.

For a foreigner, Darth, you are exceptionally cultivated.
    I ... love you?
    As a foreigner, he should be the main villain.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 684
    Tough matches both, but I'll go YOLT and OHMSS. For however much I love the others, these two come from the heyday of the series and despite the two later entries being among the best we got post-1969, they quite understandably fall short of the two earlier ones.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    MR over YOLT. Very easy choice.

OP over OHMSS. This one is a little tougher.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Unsurprisingly, yet another beating done by the 60s films, and the biggest yet. Might as well get a few of those out of the way.

FRWL beats MR 28-4

OHMSS beats QOS 29-3

Happy to see MR fared better than QOS.

Round 5:

YOLT vs MR. Love both. My 2 favorite Bond films as a child. I'm going with MR.

and

OHMSS vs OP. Love both and they both feature 2 of the fastest paced, most exciting 2nd halves in the series but to prevent a total massacre I'm voting for OP.

All 004 of these are in my top 008.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    As a few have already said, this is more of a contest.
    YOLT vs MR

OHMSS vs OP

MR is a lower ranked Bond for me. However there is so much to enjoy in this film. I’ve just never been a fan of Bond in space. MR gets away with it, and it’s an epic film. But YOLT is a film that just grows on me every time I watch it.
    Despite my unconditional love for OP, any Bond fan would find it hard to place Majesty’s below OP.
    For me the 13th Bond film is an underrated gem. OHMSS is a genuine classic and one of the series very best.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger Just musing that along with the averaging our rankings (I think it's been a couple of years since we've done that), this method is probably going to give us the most accurate picture of the Community Zeitgeist.

Yes, that is the idea. Even people who never do a ranking, can contribute here, as everyone usually has a preference when given two options. Also interesting to see who moves against the current in various rounds.