Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Depressing to see GF trounced so thoroughly.

Yes, but I don t think it will happen that often.
    TSWLM X2 and by a considerable margin in both cases.

Agreed, although I enjoy the Connery films as well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    TB easily
    TSWLM
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The funny thing is, I find TSWLM incredibly dated and corny.

And yet;
    TSWLM and
    TSWLM.

TB is still the only Bond film I consider borderline boring. And DAF has nothing to go for it but the dialogue. So by a hair's breadth...
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Looks like I'll be the only one choosing DAF. So still no clean sweep
    edited October 2018 Posts: 45,489
    Looks like I'll be the only one choosing DAF. So still no clean sweep

We only had four clean sweeps so far.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TB

TSWLM
    TB
    and
    TSWLM (Am no fan of this or DAF, so toss of a coin time!)
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    TB

and

TSWLM
    TB

&

TSWLM
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    TB
    and
    TSWLM (Am no fan of this or DAF, so toss of a coin time!)

In recent years, TSWLM has dropped severely. At one time I thought it was one of Moore's best.

It's mainly the pacing. It feels long. Padded. And, the finale: I'd rather see Connery Bond and the Ninjas rush Blofeld's cave, than Moore Bond and the 70s sailors defeat Stromberg (although points go to Stromberg's death-- that was a nice and cold kill for Moore).

So DAF vs TSWLM... it was a close call that at certain moments I feel should go to DAF...

However, TSWLM, like GE, should be respected for saving the franchise at a pivotal moment in the James Bond history (but if I was on an island, I would much rather DAF, just to watch Connery... He wipes the floor with Moore, and I do respect Moore; that is the power of King Connery).
    TB
    DAF
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    TSMWLM^2
    I usually predict these accurately, though my vote is often contrary to the result, but this time I am quite surprised that TSWLM is so soundly losing to TB. I was very sure that it would be the other way around.

I thought so as well, but the count isn t in yet.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I usually predict these accurately, though my vote is often contrary to the result, but this time I am quite surprised that TSWLM is so soundly losing to TB. I was very sure that it would be the other way around.

I thought so as well, but the count isn t in yet.
    TB is one of the best, as is TSWLM. It was bound to be a fight between these two. I'd be happy with either as victor for this round. I picked the Moore film this time, but could readily have gone for Connery's fourth if asked a few weeks back.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    TSWLM x2!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    TSWLM both times, uncontested.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    TB
    DAF
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Thunderball over TSWLM, but TSWLM over DAF.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    TB
    &
    TSWLM

The first match up was a real toughie, as I love both TB and TSWLM. But TB just continues to grow in my appreciation. DAF against TSWLM was a much easier choice.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Benny wrote: »
    TB
    &
    TSWLM

The first match up was a real toughie, as I love both TB and TSWLM. But TB just continues to grow in my appreciation. DAF against TSWLM was a much easier choice.

This is easy for me @Benny: Moore, at his best, can never beat Classic Connery. It's just impossible! The way Connery moves-- graceful and dangerous vs knobby-knees and flat-foot Moore...-- it's a mismatch for me. Connery is too strong.
    Connery’s performances in DN, FRWL, GF, and TB are the best Bond performances in the entire series IMO, along with Craig in CR. Connery is just absolutely perfect in his first four.
    There's no question for me that Connery is at the absolute top of his game in TB, which puts him ahead of all of the other actors.

However, I took this is a film ranking (as opposed to an actor ranking) question, and in that regard I gave TSWLM the slight edge (this time).

I must locate the actor performance ranking (in a film) thread again soon and update my choices there, as I'm sure they've changed in the past year.
    Right. I do currently prefer TSWLM over TB, but it’s not by much. Moore is pretty great in TSWLM, but Connery in TB is 11/10. The surrounding elements give TSWLM a tad edge for me, but they’re both definite Top 10 entries to me. The epic, aquatic Bond adventures!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Right. I do currently prefer TSWLM over TB, but it’s not by much. Moore is pretty great in TSWLM, but Connery in TB is 11/10. The surrounding elements give TSWLM a tad edge for me, but they’re both definite Top 10 entries to me. The epic, aquatic Bond adventures!
    Agreed on all counts. Fantastic films, the both of them.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 2018 Posts: 8,498
    Connery carries and elevates TB-- BUT...

There's already an amazing set-up in TB with the hijacking of the plane/bombs-- which I find more interesting and "grounded" than Stromberg's plan of an underwater Utopia (after having east and west annihilate each other, lol).

... On top of that, Connery's masculine, and effortless execution, make his performance, and the the film, more complete than Moore's effort.

It's me, I know, but no matter how good Moore "performs" (and yes, I repeat: Stromberg's kill at the end is a beauty), he just can't match Connery's natural toughness and ease and charm...

Moore had to act "tough", and by his own admission, he didn't like dangerous things... (Meanwhile, at 53, Connery was literally swimming with the sharks for NSNA (and also TB-- inadvertently)).

Connery took an interesting concept in TB and carried it on his broad shoulders to make it another timeless classic from the Golden Era of James Bond. TSWLM, in contrast, was an entertaining, if not bloated film, that-- from the music, to the bellbottoms-- is relegated to a decent 70s flick.

IMHO.
  • GBFGBF
    TSWLM > TB (I guess both films are similar in quality, I used to prefer TB but recently I really enjoyed TSWLM so I give it to Moore's third Bond film instead of
    Connery's fourth

DAF > TSWLM; Spy will win this round anyway. I have always enjoyed DAF more so I give it to it, despite my recent appreciation for TSWLM.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Double header for Spy - TB runs it close-ish. Despite DAF having a resurgence in my own ratings, it gets crushed by the magnificence that is Spy.
    Any more contributions? Moving on early next week.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    TB > TSWLM

TSWLM > DAF
  • DrKaufmanDrKaufman At a health clinic conveniently near a NATO air base
    edited October 2018 Posts: 12
    I'll get the easy one out the way first - TSWLM > DAF; whilst I always have an immensely enjoyable time watching all of DAF, guiltily love Charles Grey as Blofeld, and find it the funniest Bond film ever (both thanks to Tom Mankiewicz's dialogue and production gaffes such as Cai-Cai-Cairo), there's no real contest here.

With TSWLM against TB, they're quite similar in my eyes - both have the best performances and best one-liners from their respective Bonds, both feature some of the most gorgeous cinematography in the series from Renoir and Moore, and they boast two of my favourite Bond scores; plus TB has real sentimental value for me as the first Bond I ever watched, and I think it probably has the most eclectic and creative mix of action and suspense sequences in the franchise, with the chateau fight and Fiona's death being two highlights.

But I can't ignore the fact I probably had my favourite watch of TSWLM recently, feeling that absolutely everything in the first hour or so worked perfectly, with a whole string of wonderful moments outweighing how bloated I've always found the third act. So, simply because of how much I enjoyed watching it last time, with a heavy heart I'm going to say TSWLM > TB