Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Choosing between The Living Daylights and Licence To Kill sometimes feels like trying to pick your favourite child. I've always been a fan of both, but TLD always edges ahead. The opening scene in Bratislava with Saunders derived from the pages of Fleming provides one of my all time favourite beginnings to any Bond film. There's a reason John Barry's initials are the same as our favourite spy, because he was born to score the films and his swansong shows us why. Although, John Glenn has never been known for cinematography, Daylights is visually more thrilling then Licence To Kill, IMO. The scene between Bond and Pushkin is unequivocally one of the best moments in the entire franchise. Dalton's intensity in these moments are what made him a favourite of mine. I will say that I think LTK provides us with a better villain. The relationship between Bond and Sanchez is up there with that of Bond and Goldfinger or Largo. The "Problem Eliminator" repartee between the two is brilliant. It's a game of margins, but elements like the lack of Barry score are what makes Licence To Kill the lesser of two great films.

Skyfall over Diamonds Are Forever every day of the week.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited February 2020 Posts: 6,760
    Tough one, that first pair, but I've got to go with TLD.
    Second one is easy, at least for me, DAF might not be great but Mendes' Bond work is not my cup of tea.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    TLD
    SF
  • peterpeter Toronto
    TLD-- it's got a classic Bond film/Fleming feel to it, and the production was quite a slick package (whereas LTK looked like cheap sets being re-used from discarded TV shows; however I think Davi elevates Dalton and the two crackle on the screen; and yes; tanker trucks).
    SF (although I have a major soft spot for DAF-- I recently watched it twice, once by myself, once with my 18 year old son. Both times had me in stitches, and my son really loved the odd and sinister Wint and Kidd (and how they loved to knock off anyone who touches the diamonds), Connery's lines and killer delivery ("provided the collars and cuffs match"; "I'm afraid you've caught me with more than my hands up"), and just the over all bizarre nature of the film; however, he can't believe they followed this up after OHMSS).
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    TLD over LTK

SF over DAF
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Not even one to think about.

TLD (over LTK all the way, Barry's swansong, one of the all time best PTS's of the series, a great debut for Dalton and a fantastic first half, not really a problem competing with one of the most jarring films of he series)

SF (even with Barry's magnificent score, some great humorous moments I can't even put DAF in the same postcode let alone ball park with SF)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TLD

SF
    TLD
    DAF
  • Tough match ups this one..
    LTK
    DAF
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    TLD
    SF
    I do love DAF though
  • infoviseinfovise Ireland
    TLD over LTK

SF over DAF
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    TLD. Cold War atmosphere, fairly faithful Fleming adaptation in its first quarter, more exotic locations, strong chemistry between the new Bond for 1987 and his sweet leading lady(hence my current profile pic) and the music of John Barry cinch it as the better Dalton entry for me even though LTK does have the stronger main villain.

DAF. Underrated fun, quotable dialogue and the music of John Barry. I wonder if the fact my favorite cinematic superspy and my favorite 007 composer share the same initials has any influence on me?
  • TLD - better music, locations, and sense of adventure
    SF - better overall film and cinematic experience
    TLD, such a fun adventure.

DAF with all my heart, I love it from Ca-Ca-Cairo all the way to bombe surprise
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,006
    TLD every time.
    SF every time.

Very easy choice for me. TLD is in my top 5 - simply one of the best overall Bond packages: Dalton is fantastic, great locations and cinematography, strong script, beautiful score. Very Bondian, very Fleming. I predict TLD will only grow stronger with time just like OHMSS.

LTK feels very much a product of its time. It has a very generic brutal 80s action flick feel, with a weird sprinkling of Miami Vice. TLD feels way more timeless.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    LTK: Though these films have flip flopped for me for years
    SF: These two have never flip flopped!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    TLD and SF are both top ten entries for me.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger , at what point do you intend to begin incorporating NTTD? I would suggest holding off a year. My reasoning being that we've seen inflated praise upon initial release of the past two entires, when compared to the more measured evaluations that came once familiarity began to set in. Maybe it will be the reverse trend ala QOS, or maybe it will be another CR which received initial praise and it only got bigger with the passage of time. We don't know, and such time and patience has been put into this thread/survey that it would kind of suck if down the road the ultimate result is evidently skewed or erroneous because of a drastic change once the newness of one wore off.

Big +1 @Birdleson. When I first saw SP my opinion of it was very positively inflated, and now it would lose out to almost every other entry for me. There is a certain honeymoon phase involved and I’d rather vote when more familiar and confident myself.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    @Thunderfinger , at what point do you intend to begin incorporating NTTD? I would suggest holding off a year. My reasoning being that we've seen inflated praise upon initial release of the past two entires, when compared to the more measured evaluations that came once familiarity began to set in. Maybe it will be the reverse trend ala QOS, or maybe it will be another CR which received initial praise and it only got bigger with the passage of time. We don't know, and such time and patience has been put into this thread/survey that it would kind of suck if down the road the ultimate result is evidently skewed or erroneous because of a drastic change once the newness of one wore off.

This is an excellent point.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is a good point, but why can t we just have another regular elimination game next year? Those are fun as well. Besides, the group voting in yet another year will have changed its composition quite a bit more. I can already tell now how some preferences have changed here due to that, and the severe closeness of several results as well as personal preferences not being static. Goes for me, too.

My own preferences this week:

LTK over TLD

SF over DAF
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2020 Posts: 13,882
    TLD vs LTK - This is a mean possition to put me in. Overall it goes to TLD, but if broken down, LTK at least has the better villain.

SF vs DAF - Neither is a Bond i'm likely to watch anytime soon, but SF is the clear lesser of two evils.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    It is a good point, but why can t we just have another regular elimination game next year? Those are fun as well. Besides, the group voting in yet another year will have changed its composition quite a bit more. I can already tell now how some preferences have changed here due to that, and the severe closeness of several results as well as personal preferences not being static. Goes for me, too.

You're right another elimination game would be nice.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    TLD, for now. Classic espionage thriller, plus a Barry score just raises it above the courageous LTK.

SF
    TLD, easy.

DAF, mostly on the strength of the goofiness of it.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,600

Excellent point. I normally don’t include the most recent film in my rankings for two years or more (or until another movie is released) as I need the time and perspective to fully evaluate it in context (i.e. how does it fit in with the rest of the franchise). I think, however, that you could include NTTD in a ranking of Craig’s movies before that (6-12 months?). For now:

TLD. Classic Bond with a great John Barry score….plus…..well you know!
    SF. Easy.

TLD

and

DAF
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

You're right another elimination game would be nice.

I started one here.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    TLD

and

SF
    Dwayne wrote: »

Excellent point. I normally don’t include the most recent film in my rankings for two years or more (or until another movie is released) as I need the time and perspective to fully evaluate it in context (i.e. how does it fit in with the rest of the franchise). I think, however, that you could include NTTD in a ranking of Craig’s movies before that (6-12 months?). For now:

TLD. Classic Bond with a great John Barry score….plus…..well you know!
    SF. Easy.

This thread is meant as a time capsule, and it isn t exact science. The number of participants has varied from 17 to 39, and with all close races (even some draws), that in itself has an effect on the results. It is just a bit of fun, and meant to give an indication of the films relative popularity here.
    Let s see what happens. I have a plan.