Do we read too much into certain Bond films?

13»

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Brady

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with production qualities. It's one thing to say the films look better now, which comes down to personal preference at the end of the day (is Quantum of Solace really considered a better edited film than GoldenEye? Never heard anyone say that before), but it's quite another to argue that that means there is a difference in the subject matter. You're talking about presentation, I'm talking about content. Like I said in my earlier post, all the supposed emotional depth and themes of the Craig films comes down to window dressing for the action, sex, and locations which form the foundation of all 24 Bond adventures in the series. To act otherwise is the true intellectual dishonesty. It's like saying I grow more wise when I smoke a pipe or wear a tie. When you boil it down, Bond is about formula. The formula Cubby scribbled down very early on is to a large extent followed to this very day, and as far as I can see nothing has changed. All that has changed is the packaging. If you remove the packaging, what you're left with is the same - equivalents. Anyone not exposed to our nitpicking, image obsessed culture will see that this is the case, and any veneer of Artfulness one tenure may claim over another is wholly superficial. It's a shell of sophistication that people fall for and invest their time into. In the end, Bond is only as deep as sex, danger, exotic locations, fast cars and evil villains can be.

@Mendes4Lyfe, presentation as you put it is a simplification, but the look of a film isn't just the look, as it ties into the mood, atmosphere and everything else in a film. A picture is worth a thousand words, so moving pictures are exponentially more valuable. That's what I mean. I could've thrown in editing as well, or even sound design especially in the Mendes films for how the Craig movie stand out from just Brosnan's, but I already covered a lot of ground. I also would've added how even the narratives of the latest films differ from the others (I did that in another post on another thread, actually), but you and I have had that same discussion before so I didn't see the point in rehashing an argument when we both know how we feel on it.

I'm just never going to agree with the supposed parity with which you view these films, like nothing ever sets them apart. Speaking of equivalents in any art form is quite illogical, but even more so with film. We're all familiar with the tradition or formula of Bond (we're on a Bond forum), but to attempt to argue that because tradition is kept at any level that then implies that no movie is ever different in other ways is again an oversimplification or at worst an impossibility. It would actually be far easier to argue that more Bond films stand apart from each other than arguing that they are the same.

On just the topic of "artfulness," even going beyond the packaging comment, we can see attempts in just SF to add more to a Bond film that what you would expect in thematic and visual linking to tell the story (certainly more than anything the 90s films you mentioned tried). It's not an accident that Severine's boat is named "Chimera," in SF for example, as the way the woman is dressed and how Berenice plays her ties her to that mythological beast and the other meaning of the word, something you hope for but can't achieve, ties into how Severine craves escape but ends up dead anyway; a play on words and images. It's also not an accident that right after Silva gives Bond a speech about the fall of empires we see Severine tied to a statue that is recreated from the Shelley poem "Ozymandias" that, like Silva, pokes fun at the falling power of ostentatious and imperial civilizations like the current British one. Even more obvious, it's certainly no accident that the poem M reads at her inquiry is one whose lines feed into the entire message of the film, endurance and the power of time.

You can hate the latest films for injecting theme into the mix, arguing that Bond isn't about that, but the thematic content especially in SF is pretty clear and to see it isn't to look too deeply, it's to see what elements are being tied together to form meaning or symbology. Mendes has commented on the presence of these references to art, literature, poetry and more in the film numerous times, ruling out that the production team just accidentally created a statue that accidentally looks like that of Ozymandias, just as it's hard to argue that the many connections that can be made to the use of images or theme in the film just happened without anyone there realizing it. I mean, come on now. The work can be seen to meld those ideas into the film in commentaries and behind the scenes features where all of it is discussed.

On a larger note, comments like these honestly depress me:
    In the end, Bond is only as deep as sex, danger, exotic locations, fast cars and evil villains can be.
    To look at any of these films, even excluding the Craig ones, and see nothing but these very broad, empty and poor representations of what these films are, like they're coming from an ignorant or casual outsider to the series, is quite sad to me. Even going back to Fleming, there's so much to those books that go beyond the women, the sex, the escapism and everything else, where the stories amount to more than what their various parts combine to be. There's meaning to be found in how Fleming paints Bond as jaded by his work, how he fed in very existential concerns of life and love to the stories to make them more than just paperback thrillers, and how Bond's story is a deep and engrossing one that is full of torture, endurance, fatigue, ennui, love won and lost and all the rest. There's a lot of Bond films that have this stuff too, that try to be more than the very hollow qualities or tropes that outsider culture tries to bill them as.

I for one am gratified that I can see more to them and do get more from their sources, stories that are more than just stories. If I were to see them as nothing more an assemblage of tropes that never allowed for any of them to stand out I don't think I'd be able to call myself a fan, and I certainly wouldn't bother devoting an indecent amount of time to conversing about these stories on a forum devoted to them.
  • It is really fascinating to me how many things you think you see in the novels as well as in the Craig movies, and if you wouldn't have the tendency to serve your opinions with quite a hefty dose of condescendence I probably would be at least be a little more sympathetic to your ideas.
    Anyway, I really wonder what you could dream up if you would start to read some "real" spy novels (or some "real"novels at all). You at the very least should give it a try.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Calling @Murdock , we need your wit n perfect delivery on floor five... (and can you explain: does Fleming not write “real” novels? And what is the definition of “real” in this context? Indeed, what is the definition of “novel”? I am so confused. Please help!)...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It is really fascinating to me how many things you think you see in the novels as well as in the Craig movies, and if you wouldn't have the tendency to serve your opinions with quite a hefty dose of condescendence I probably would be at least be a little more sympathetic to your ideas.
    Anyway, I really wonder what you could dream up if you would start to read some "real" spy novels (or some "real"novels at all). You at the very least should give it a try.

2zsuco.jpg
  • peterpeter Toronto
    So good; hitting the nail on the head, @Murdock ! LOL, once again, everything I was thinking encapsulated into a simple picture. You have saved me once again, my friend!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    One rises to meet a challenge, @peter. ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ha!
  • peter wrote: »
    Calling @Murdock , we need your wit n perfect delivery on floor five... (and can you explain: does Fleming not write “real” novels? And what is the definition of “real” in this context? Indeed, what is the definition of “novel”? I am so confused. Please help!)...

Obviously "real" means compared to the Master's of the genre.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited December 2017 Posts: 8,531
    Obviously (my eyeballs ache....)
  • I think TWINE actually has a lot in common with the Craig era and that you can analyse it in the same way if you try. It was one of the films that prompted me to create this thread actually because I've always thought there was a lot going on in that one.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Let's not go ad hominem for the holidays, lads. Starting after New Year's we can go at each other as much as we please, I promise. I'll even throw the first stone and soil my New Year's resolution to be less of a prick. My selflessness knows no bounds.

As for condescension, I don't pull it out all the time to avoid staling it, but in this particular case I was reminded of my writing and communication courses in university. "Know your audience," I think was how the books put it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. Today I'll be taking a break from it all and reading a real novel.

Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays. All the best in the New Year.
    @peter, best to leave the Scrooging to others, as the hollowness of their lives will bite them in the end. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well! As for "real" novels, you can't go wrong with this one:
    610426008.jpg
    One of the deepest character studies I've ever read.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I still don't get it, though @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 . Why is watching Spot run, fun for Spot?

It makes my brain ache just thinking about what the meaning behind all of it is...
    peter wrote: »
    I still don't get it, though @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 . Why is watching Spot run, fun for Spot?

It makes my brain ache just thinking about what the meaning behind all of it is...
    I wrote my literature dissertation on that very subject and question, @peter. I'll have to e-mail it to you. ;)
  • Someone who doesn't understand the importance of See Spot Run or why watching Spot run is fun for Spot has obviously never ran or seen Spot run.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    CountJohn wrote: »
    Someone who doesn't understand the importance of See Spot Run or why watching Spot run is fun for Spot has obviously never ran or seen Spot run.

Spot on.
    Very astute, @CountJohn. I really dug in on that point in my dissertation, and boggled my professor's mind who was as lost as @peter was when I did so. It's a heavy text to get into, but worth it when you absorb it fully.
  • CountJohn wrote: »
    Someone who doesn't understand the importance of See Spot Run or why watching Spot run is fun for Spot has obviously never ran or seen Spot run.

Spot on.

Hmm. Spotty at best.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Now you’re all confusing me... I know it has something to do with Spot as a literal dog, but a figurative one as well... Hmmm, it’s right there... but... I just can’t GET IT...
    @peter, alright, SPOILERS for my paper.

Spot is obviously symbolic for childhood spirit and wonder, and by letting him run around the children are not only sharing in the child-like wonder of their current state, but are also finding a part of themselves in their dog who almost appears as more than an animal to them because of their shared curiosity and energy. With their kinship discovered, Spot understands that running and exploring the world is not only fun for those who get to chase him and share in the adventure, like the kids, but that said adventure can also be just as fun for himself. Spot is finding the humanity in himself despite his animal state, just as the children are learning how to connect with things outside of their species that share human emotional intelligence.

A wonderful tale of human/animal cross discovery and the shared existence open to us all!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

“A wonderful tale of human/animal cross discovery...”

Are you saying this is a Freudian sexual re-awakening? Or is this simply Jung’s Id?
  • I love that this thread is starting to be dominated by a discussion of the literary landmark that is See Spot Run. Good to see us discussing actual literature for once.
    @peter, my god, you've now put so much of my work into question and I'm actively reassessing what I'd once argued. Perhaps See Spot Run goes beyond just a tale of animal and human relation, and instead does connect to a sort of psychological realm, with sexual metaphors in line with Freud (is Spot's running meant to represent male libido and the rigid enthusiasm behind it?) or even his neurological musings, where Spot instead represents the id in his unleashed impulsivity and the children are the representations of the ego attempting to control him?

You've possibly blown the lid off this whole thing and I'm flabbergasted.