James Bond v Ethan Hunt v John Wick v Jason Bourne v Frank Castle

2»

Comments

Nah...no Arnie peeps.....this is one of the 'Bond25 stop the boredom ' threads...
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    I just watched Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation last night

Interesting that it came out in 2015, the same year as SPECTRE, features a shadowy organisation with a vague sort of name, "The Syndicate", while SPECTRE was absorbing "Quantum", lead by a rather innocuous looking soft spoken villain, ditto SPECTRE, and using Morrocco and London as main settings, ditto SPECTRE

Just a coincidence?

I enjoyed both of them, but perhaps because I have unreasonably high expectations of Bond I enjoyed MI-RN more at first, however on reflection they both have their share of the ridiculousness which seems unavoidable in high action movies produced in the age of the Superhero movie

I have been pleased to see MI incrementaly moving back toward having a team, rather than just Tom Cruise as a one man band. MI1 started with a team but by the end had dismantled it, either killed off or found to be traitors, apart from the everpresent Ving Rhames. MI2 had Rhames and some Aussie temp and flirted with the idea of Anthony Hopkins as "The Boss". MI3 brought in Simon Pegg for a dash of humour, MI4 added Jeremy Renner and now they have added Alec Baldwin to play "The Boss"
  • Seve wrote: »
    I have been pleased to see MI incrementaly moving back toward having a team, rather than just Tom Cruise as a one man band. MI1 started with a team but by the end had dismantled it, either killed off or found to be traitors, apart from the everpresent Ving Rhames. MI2 had Rhames and some Aussie temp and flirted with the idea of Anthony Hopkins as "The Boss". MI3 brought in Simon Pegg for a dash of humour, MI4 added Jeremy Renner and now they have added Alec Baldwin to play "The Boss"
    The next one is about who Ethan is though, so it may be less team orientated. Plus it's lost Renner.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, the next one may go a bit deep. It seems to have gained Ilsa though, and I'll take her over Brandt any day.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,686
    According to Tom Cruise himself, the entire 1 month they were in Paris for M:I:6 was entirely spent on filming one massive city-wide motorcycle/car chase (I read that army vehicles were involved too). Which I guess is normal as 2018 will mark 20 years since Ronin also had a fantastic car chase in Paris.
    Bourne Identity and Rush Hour 3 weren't bad either @DaltonCraig007. Paris is renown for excellent chases, so the bar is set very high. I can imagine we'll have some tunnels and driving against traffic (normal for the city).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I agree, @bondjames. It's probably the big Formula 1 fan inside me speaking, but car chases in films are my favorite type of action scenes.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Yes, the next one may go a bit deep. It seems to have gained Ilsa though, and I'll take her over Brandt any day.

They already had Ilsa, we're stuck with Henry Cavill now.
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that this may be the film where Cavill finally delivers. Cruise has a tendency to bring out the best in people and he went with Mr. Plank for a reason. We may be in for a surprise.
  • bondjames wrote: »

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that this may be the film where Cavill finally delivers. Cruise has a tendency to bring out the best in people and he went with Mr. Plank for a reason. We may be in for a surprise.

I think he was hired purely based upon his ability to grow out that sweet 'stache.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

I think he was hired purely based upon his ability to grow out that sweet 'stache.
    That in itself seems to add some charisma to his usually dull screen persona, at least from the photos. Promising.
    Just watched 3/4 of the Bourne Supremacy,which is on SKY Action at the moment,the next 2 films are back to back in a minute.

Tough little s**t isnt he ?
    I can see the links to QOS as well...i still think Bond would take him.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Just watched 3/4 of the Bourne Supremacy,which is on SKY Action at the moment,the next 2 films are back to back in a minute.

QoS borrowed a lot from it indeed. Supremacy is a killer film. The first two are real game changers for the genre imho. The third just amped it all up a notch and made all the money.

QoS borrowed a lot from it indeed. Supremacy is a killer film. The first two are real game changers for the genre imho. The third just amped it all up a notch and made all the money.

Bond takes Bourne ? check-mate ?

I don't know. That fight with Desh in Bourne Ultimatum is something else. Brutal. I don't know if Bond could withstand such an assault.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339

I don't know. That fight with Desh in Bourne Ultimatum is something else. Brutal. I don't know if Bond could withstand such an assault.

Bond can be totally ruthless and damn cold when he needs to be ,as in :

1) breaking the neck of Colonel Jacques Bouvar with a poker,slowly,over his knee ,in TB PTS
    2) Shooting Davidov and Electra without any hesitation in TWINE,it would never get to a fight.
    3) Killing of Obanno ,again breaking his neck,after a brutal fight,CR
    4) Killing of Slate,letting him bleed to death,knife in his artery,again after originally being surprised.

Might be more even than you think...
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883

1) breaking the neck of Colonel Jacques Bouvar with a poker,slowly,over his knee ,in TB PTS
    2) Shooting Davidov and Electra without any hesitation in TWINE,it would never get to a fight.
    4) Killing of Slate,letting him bleed to death,knife in his artery,again after originally being surprised.

Possibly, but Damon's Bourne is just a take no prisoner's bad ass. He's proved it consistently in four films now. It never ends well for the fools on the receiving end, no matter how many they send to take him out. I don't think he's ever been cornered, surprised or knocked out, let alone captured. All these things have happened to Mr. Bond. Ironically, his worst defeat occurred when he lost his memory after being shot in the back.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339

Possibly, but Damon's Bourne is just a take no prisoner's bad ass. He's proved it consistently in four films now. It never ends well for the fools on the receiving end, no matter how many they send to take him out. I don't think he's ever been cornered, surprised or knocked out, let alone captured. All these things have happened to Mr. Bond. Ironically, his worst defeat occurred when he lost his memory after being shot in the back.

Quickly off topic...watching the end of 'Jason Bourne' ,the latest film....pretty much a crock of crap from what i have seen before...end it people...Bond can go OTT,you cant.
    These films are now trying to be an American Bond...it's not going to happen.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    They shouldn't have taken the last one to Vegas. They should have kept it in Europe and smaller scale. More personal. That's what works for Bourne. In his case, it is personal and always has been.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Bond has his ruthless moments but he's nowhere near as skilled a fighter as Bourne. Bourne would destroy Bond in a fight quite easily.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A shot to the head from Bond's PPK would finish Bourne pretty easily. ;)
    35auZC2.gif
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    John Wicks Gun Fu Wins for me
    Anyone think Hunt could beat Bond after seeing Fallout ?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bond would lure Hunt into a room with enough heating to melt the mask clean off his face. He would consider Hunt's motorcycle skills, laugh and recall the days when he free-wheeled a truck through a sea of fire.

Then he would sleep with Hunt's wife and later that night with Ilsa Faust.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,686
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Bond would lure Hunt into a room with enough heating to melt the mask clean off his face. He would consider Hunt's motorcycle skills, laugh and recall the days when he free-wheeled a truck through a sea of fire.

Then he would sleep with Hunt's wife and later that night with Ilsa Faust.

Bond also caught a plane in mid-air after jumping off a cliff with a motorcycle. Take that, Hunt!

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bond would also tell Hunt what he can do with his little finger.
    Hunt would have no comeback at all.
    Bond would offer a scissor and a razor to John Wick for Christmas, and a perfume named Charisma for Hunt.
    Craig, Connery, Bond wins. The rest I'm not so sure.
    Watching MI today i do think Craig’s Bond would be able to kill Ethan Hunt.