Berenice Marlohe

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Getafix wrote:
    it's obvious Eve is going to be Moneypenny so they want it to be kept quiet.

I really hope not. Moneypenny is a secretary, end of. She doesn't need a backstory of her being a field agent. How would they explain it? Maybe she's injured, but would a former field agent really end up working as a secretary? If she was injured, she'd probably have a desk job managing other agents or something.

I also hope she is not. I still have hopes that a certain other british actress, who was cast in a role we know little about and whom we are yet to see in character, ends up being good old Moneypenny! Hope springs eternal.
    Yes, she, who you talk about, would be bloody perfect.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,879
    Everything about HM screams Moneypenny, and for those who say she is too old, and that Moneypenny should be younger- well Moneypenny is supposed to be slightly older than Bond. In reality, she's the same age as Craig, so there's no argument for that.
  • Getafix wrote:

I really hope not. Moneypenny is a secretary, end of. She doesn't need a backstory of her being a field agent. How would they explain it? Maybe she's injured, but would a former field agent really end up working as a secretary? If she was injured, she'd probably have a desk job managing other agents or something.
    Unless the rebooted Moneypenny isn't even a secretary at all. I have serious doubts that Eve will become Moneypenny.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Sandy wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I also hope she is not. I still have hopes that a certain other british actress, who was cast in a role we know little about and whom we are yet to see in character, ends up being good old Moneypenny! Hope springs eternal.

Ah yes. I'd forgotten about her. Very good point. she would be good as well. So the idea that she's a minister is a cover? I hope so!

We have already seen Eve too intimate with Bond for her to end up as a believable Moneypenny.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE. They aren't there just to look pretty.

What for? There aren't any plot spoilers. Just well rehearsed rumors about whether Moneypenny will return and who might play her.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    What for? There aren't any plot spoilers. Just well rehearsed rumors about whether Moneypenny will return and who might play her.

It's a description of who the character is and what her role is. I DON'T WANT TO KNOW THAT.
  • But it's just speculation, we're just guessing. I haven't followed any of the spoilers.
  • Is there going to be a proper heineken advert aswell as the crack the code ones??
  • Is there going to be a proper heineken advert aswell as the crack the code ones??

I think so. There was a description on here somewhere.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    If I was Naomi, I would be pretty pissed. Berenice is everywhere, Naomi nowhere to be seen. I wonder, why they choose to play it like this. Sure, Berenice might be prettier, but both are in the film and both should be featured in the marketing IMO.

Well, for once it looks like I agree with you @Germanlady ;)

I think Naomi is also pretty hot and deserves some attention.

It might have something to do with the character that Naomi is playing. We don't really know everything yet, so perhaps exposing them in this way makes some sense to EON.

I think that it's likely a combination of two things - as said above, they likely want to keep some mystery to Harris' character. But I think that during the filming they realized that Marlohe was a breakout star with huge charisma and presence and decided to capitalize on that.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Is there going to be a proper heineken advert aswell as the crack the code ones??

I think so. There was a description on here somewhere.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=10279

It sounds spot on too, looking at the photos that have been released.
  • Kerim wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Since this was posted by germanlady, I am trying to think if there has ever been a German Bond girl. If not, why not?!

Karin Dor (Helga, YOLT)

Your both forgetting Irma Bunt!!! Well bond did get her into bed ;)
    RyanKint wrote:
    Kerim wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Since this was posted by germanlady, I am trying to think if there has ever been a German Bond girl. If not, why not?!

Karin Dor (Helga, YOLT)

Then she disappeared after OHMSS, another reason DAF is a mess. I know that the actress playing her died, but if we can switch up actors with Bond, Felix and Blofeld, we can do it with Irma so Bond could have gotten revenge on the actual person who killed Tracy.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Am I right in thinking Berenice is of mixed European and Asian heritage? If so, does her character share the same background? She certainly looks a little east Asian in her eyes.

Maybe she's paid a visit to Tanaka and has been Japanesed like Connery was ;)
    RyanKint wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Am I right in thinking Berenice is of mixed European and Asian heritage? If so, does her character share the same background? She certainly looks a little east Asian in her eyes.

Maybe she's paid a visit to Tanaka and has been Japanesed like Connery was ;)

She is part Cambodian, part French. A very interesting combination that really works.
  • RyanKint wrote:
    Kerim wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Karin Dor (Helga, YOLT)

Then she disappeared after OHMSS, another reason DAF is a mess. I know that the actress playing her died, but if we can switch up actors with Bond, Felix and Blofeld, we can do it with Irma so Bond could have gotten revenge on the actual person who killed Tracy.

DAF and DAD. Share the same kind of plot and both at the bottom of the pile.

And having an overweight Connery with a wig even Brucie wouldn't wear, swearing a pink shirt and tie!!!

• Getafix wrote:

I think Helen Mccory should play Moneypenny. An intelligent woman and also a MILF is a winning combination ;)
  • But I think that during the filming they realized that Marlohe was a breakout star with huge charisma and presence and decided to capitalize on that.

Or because she's hot ;)

I wouldn't make big assumptions like that straight away, we don't know how she'll be, we haven't seen much of her. We don't really even know if she can act yet.
    She seems okay from the trailer. I think for a lot of people Eva set a standard others will struggle to follow, particularly because many fans actually enjoyed the fact that it was a real relationship with Vesper. I guess Bond can still have those but his 'armour' is going to be back on!
    Why can't Bond show his emotion, or care for another human being? Without that he is just another hero with a gun, another one-dimensional action icon. That is a bore, and really doesn't suit him well. The reason I love Craig's era so much is because his Bond cares about those around him who put their necks out for him, like Vesper and Mathis, and especially M. I wish the other earlier eras had more of that. Like in LTK, where you see the pain and sadness all over Bond's face when he discovers Della and Felix. Great acting by Tim there, and boy did he sell it. This kind of stuff is really important, and makes the character more relatable than a superman figure, which as I indicated, is boring.
  • Why can't Bond show his emotion, or care for another human being? Without that he is just another hero with a gun, another one-dimensional action icon. That is a bore, and really doesn't suit him well. The reason I love Craig's era so much is because his Bond cares about those around him who put their necks out for him, like Vesper and Mathis, and especially M. I wish the other earlier eras had more of that. Like in LTK, where you see the pain and sadness all over Bond's face when he discovers Della and Felix. Great acting by Tim there, and boy did he sell it. This kind of stuff is really important, and makes the character more relatable than a superman figure, which as I indicated, is boring.

He was the original one dimensional action icon, so I say it suits him fine.

I think it's great for Bond to have the odd film where it shows his more human side, like LTK, OHMSS, CR. But if we had that every film, it would take away the reason the Bond films were/are popular.

Bond isn't normal. The point of the films (books are different), is that we're meant to want to be him, we're not meant to say "wow, I can relate to that!" If Bond fell in love with every girl he shagged and got upset about every death he caused, it'd be crap.

M is Bonds boss. He's meant to care if anything happens to her sure, but he's not meant to act like she's his mum.
    I am not sure, one dimensional would sell that great today. Times change, you know. Ido believe, that even a "feeling" Bond is still not even close to become an ordinary man.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Beautiful. Reminds me of Bond girls of the past.

Funny I thought the exact same thing. Since CR actually, I think all Bond girls have a more classical type of beauty. They would easily fit in the early Connery era.

The quality has definitely improved since DC turned up.

• Bond isn't normal. The point of the films (books are different), is that we're meant to want to be him, we're not meant to say "wow, I can relate to that!" If Bond fell in love with every girl he shagged and got upset about every death he caused, it'd be crap.

Why can't we have both?

A lot of the times we start thinking in purely binary terms, that we must have one thing or the other - and we often describe the things we don't want in a way that pushes them past what is reasonable. Bond doesn't have to fall in love with every girl he shags or get upset about every death that he causes to have an audience relate to him. But beyond that we've never even had that in the series, so why bring that up?

I remember reading an interview with Spielberg where he said that they never wanted Indiana Jones to be a Superman - they wanted a hero that people could look at and say "If I was just a little braver and more resourceful I could be like him!". Even with that people still look up to Indy and want to be him, but because he's still human you care about him more and there's more tension in the films because he's fallible.

I think that early Connery, Dalton, and Craig all fit that description. It's interesting to see these films as someone who is Bond's age now. When I was a skinny, nerdy kid I wanted desperately to be like Bond, and now I've come quite a ways towards being like him. But not like, say, Roger Moore's Bond. At worst he's a caricature and therefore someone I can't get into when watching on the screen. He always has an encyclopedic knowledge of everything, he can win any fight with people half his age and in far better shape than him, he can seduce any woman with a couple of lines, and he always makes jokes in the face of danger so there's no tension - the "Superman" (SuperBond?) that Spielberg spoke of. Because he often doesn't have to "work at" things there's less interest - I'm watching the character and the film instead being involved in it. This isn't true for every scene of every Moore film but I think I make the point.

With, say, Dalton, he's still someone that I admire and want to be like when I grow up (and I'm the same age as his Bond!) but I can relate to him. This makes me care about what happens and get involved in his films more. Even early Connery and Craig are the same way - their confidence is earned by their presence (not just because the scripts tell the other characters to act a certain way around them) so it seems more achievable even though they are much more cool and manly then most men on the planet. Which is great because it makes the characters more relate-able but it also makes them inspiring as well. These versions of Bond have had their human moments but they certainly aren't all angst all the time. So as I said, we can have both a relate-able Bond and a Bond that we want to be.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    well said @thelordflasheart.
  • doubleoego wrote:

Thanks for that!

It's funny, I was just thinking today that because a lot of the heroes I had when I was younger were actually relate-able that probably pushed me more to try to be like them. Whereas if someone like, say, Moore's Bond or a character with "magic powers" (like Superman or The Shadow) was my hero I would have known that I could never be like them so why even try?

But as much as I admired my heroes they were human enough that I thought that I could try to be more like them (even though they were fictional characters; I didn't have any good role models in the real world). So because of them I started exercising and got myself into shape, learned new skills like skiing, riding horses, motorcycles, scuba diving, rock climbing, traveled to interesting places, learned a lot of interesting things so I could have stimulating conversations, and took pride in my appearance including the way that I dressed. None of these things would ever have happened in my life if I hadn't had a "template" that I admired and wanted to achieve - as I said, no one in my life gave me that kind of direction. So as I said, characters can be both relate-able and inspiring at the same time.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I agree with you completely @thelordflasheart, as usual.