The MI6 Community Religion and Faith Discussion Space (for members of all faiths - and none!)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Risico, mate, give it up. It’s embarrassing.
    Women can be deluded too. And such "conversions" as Paul's are not unheard of even nowadays, IF the alleged events in Act of the Apostles are true in any way. Mussolini was a Communist before becoming a fascist. But nobody needs to lie, only be convinced that their delusion is true. Heck, prove me Caligula was not a living god. Lots of people in Rome believed it. I mean would they have followed and obeyed a liar?
    RC7 wrote: »

For you yes for me I have only begun to fight
    Risico007 wrote: »

LOL.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

47a08f3a5cdec702db2130daa0450a78.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Caligula was recognized as a god by the Roman senate. While alive. Today only a small sect remains and they are heavily persecuted. Shouldn t they be allowed asylum here?
    Somebody proves me Caligula was NOT a god.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Somebody proves me Caligula was NOT a god.

I knew you were a part of that sect. Well, more power to you. Just don t push it on us.
    Again I can some up each of your pedantic arguments as such

Wizard “ well clearly all of this is rubbish... I am basing my beliefs on what my 7th grade science teacher tough me as a lad of course I could do research but nah I think I am right there for I am”
    Lud “ I just want evidence not any or the archalogical or historical evidence that has been discovered over the last 2000 years mind you and if you bring any of that she uff I will laugh it off no what I want is evidence that I claim is evidence”
    Rc7 “ well anyone who believes is an idiot I can say this because I have done no research whatsoever”
    Darth “look if god came down from Heaven I might believe but beyond that my days of searching for the truth are behind me. I am far more comfortable sitting in my chair and utilizing things I learned a few decades ago to keep the faithful away in spite of those things might not be as accurate as they were”
    Jake24 “wait people take this seriously hahahaha man that is funny especially like my brethren I have done no research whatsoever, I mean who the bell has heard of books anyways”

Did I leave anyone out again this isn’t a debate it’s a Ritz Brothers comedy hour

Wizard “ well clearly all of this is rubbish... I am basing my beliefs on what my 7th grade science teacher tough me as a lad of course I could do research but nah I think I am right there for I am”
    Lud “ I just want evidence not any or the archalogical or historical evidence that has been discovered over the last 2000 years mind you and if you bring any of that she uff I will laugh it off no what I want is evidence that I claim is evidence”
    Rc7 “ well anyone who believes is an idiot I can say this because I have done no research whatsoever”
    Darth “look if god came down from Heaven I might believe but beyond that my days of searching for the truth are behind me. I am far more comfortable sitting in my chair and utilizing things I learned a few decades ago to keep the faithful away in spite of those things might not be as accurate as they were”
    Jake24 “wait people take this seriously hahahaha man that is funny especially like my brethren I have done no research whatsoever, I mean who the bell has heard of books anyways”

Did I leave anyone out again this isn’t a debate it’s a Ritz Brothers comedy hour

That was funny. Now do me.

Your argument are so poor that you must build a straw man for each and everyone of us? I'd say when you're in a hole don't dig but that's taking things too mildly with you. So please, when you're in a hole, at least don't dig using an excavator.

@DarthDimi that last picture... it nearly killed me.
    Again I posted a ton of videos from prominent scientists and historians and you al said yeah no we won’t talk about what they say because uhm look no one can be raised from the dead

Lud me thinks you protest too much
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I feel like watching DOGMA now.

300px-Buddy_christ.jpg
  • RC7RC7
    ‘I done posted a videeo. Did you no wotch my videeo?’
    Again I posted a ton of videos from prominent scientists and historians and you al said yeah no we won’t talk about what they say because uhm look no one can be raised from the dead

You post videos like you spout words. Without rhyme or reason, hoping one will stick to defend your faith.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117

DarthDimi wrote: »

Lovely stuff.

image_e710049d3.jpg
    'I didn't come to rescue Risico007 from you. I came here to rescue you from him.'

If you're going to 'some up' (sic) my 'pedantic arguments' by putting your own speculative words in my mouth at least make them coherent. I know you are happy to ride roughshod over the rules of logic but could we at least agree that correct English is a matter of fact and not faith?

I think we all had a blast reading that. Epic Sir, simply epic. Please keep it coming.

Yeah I'm with you there. Luds is putting it all on just to fit in with the cool kids when he really thinks that people are raised from the dead on a daily basis. I mean, like, uhm!

And rather than just continually bombarding us with videos about the possibility of Christ existing (something we have all acknowledged numerous times as being highly probable) any chance you can unearth some videos about how why God decided to give babies cancer or cause earthquakes or the big one - how he made talking snakes?
    Yeah you've sent us this stuff before. Here's the link you sent last time: https://iands.org/about/about-iands27/leadership.html (see we do click on your links and read them) of the board members which you claimed were all prominent doctors and scientists when actually even the most cursory research reveals them to be cranks, people with books to plug and in one case, if I recall correctly, a coffee shop worker.

I find it curious that unverifiable hallucinations in the subconscious of people who were clinically dead with their brains temporarily starved of oxygen constitutes cast iron proof of God for you, yet the consensus of the global scientific community counts for cock all.

Anyway although we're all having a riotous time it's actually getting rather pathetic to watch now to be honest. It's got to the point where your corner really should throw in the towel as everyone is starting to fear for your safety such is the pummeling you're continually taking.
    Other religious members have lost interest in this thread, either because they understand that they can't win some of these more fact-or-no-fact debates, or because even they aren't willing to adhere to the notion of a dead man walking again.
    This is an interesting point. Say what you like about @Risico007 (and we all do, frequently) but at least he turns up for the battle. The only other defender of religion in this thread is @Dragonpol (although he tends to scarper and hide in a ditch somewhere the moment it starts getting a bit tasty) which I find rather odd.

This is a global forum and a quick wiki states that the global breakdown by religion is:
    Christian 31%
    Muslim 24%
    None 16%
    Hindu 15%
    Buddhism 7%

So how come the 16% is so massively overrepresented on here?

Two hypotheses spring to mind:
    1. Religious people are not, by and large, Bond fans. This makes sense as Bond enjoys plenty of sex (outside the sanctity of marriage), gambling, drinking and generally hedonistic living and not too much in the way of praying, coffee mornings and condemning homosexuals. Although to be fair Bond films do feature plenty of violence which most religious groups are partial to.

2. There are more than the two known believers of @Risico007 and @Dragonpol on here but they, for some reason, prefer to remain silent and do not wish to defend the most important and fundamental thing in their life. I mean if someone came on here slagging off OHMSS I wouldn't rest until I'd demolished their arguments, but OHMSS doesn't represent my philosophy for life (unless you count only eating Belgua from the north of the Caspian) and my eternal soul isn't at stake so where are all the fellow believers helping out @Risico007 and Draggers (and I think we can all say they are in direst need of your help)?

Why so timid believers? Surely you couldn't make a worse fist of defending God than @Risico007?
    The insanity card is always a safe one to pull. Same as the racist card, you just can t go wrong.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 14,831
    Tomorrow there's a very important anniversary for me and many Canadians, especially Quebecers: the ruling of the Supreme Court against prayers at city councils of Saguenay. I come from Saguenay and its ex mayor Jean Tremblay, a Catholic fundamentalist and bona fide idiot, is everything I loathe in a politician: autocratic, religiously devout and a bully to those who disagree with him. The judgment was the beginning of the end for him and a great victory for a more secular society. More about it here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouvement_laïque_québécois_v_Saguenay_(City)
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 1,533

Lovely stuff.

image_e710049d3.jpg
    'I didn't come to rescue Risico007 from you. I came here to rescue you from him.'

If you're going to 'some up' (sic) my 'pedantic arguments' by putting your own speculative words in my mouth at least make them coherent. I know you are happy to ride roughshod over the rules of logic but could we at least agree that correct English is a matter of fact and not faith?

I think we all had a blast reading that. Epic Sir, simply epic. Please keep it coming.

Yeah I'm with you there. Luds is putting it all on just to fit in with the cool kids when he really thinks that people are raised from the dead on a daily basis. I mean, like, uhm!

And rather than just continually bombarding us with videos about the possibility of Christ existing (something we have all acknowledged numerous times as being highly probable) any chance you can unearth some videos about how why God decided to give babies cancer or cause earthquakes or the big one - how he made talking snakes?
    Yeah you've sent us this stuff before. Here's the link you sent last time: https://iands.org/about/about-iands27/leadership.html (see we do click on your links and read them) of the board members which you claimed were all prominent doctors and scientists when actually even the most cursory research reveals them to be cranks, people with books to plug and in one case, if I recall correctly, a coffee shop worker.

I find it curious that unverifiable hallucinations in the subconscious of people who were clinically dead with their brains temporarily starved of oxygen constitutes cast iron proof of God for you, yet the consensus of the global scientific community counts for cock all.

Anyway although we're all having a riotous time it's actually getting rather pathetic to watch now to be honest. It's got to the point where your corner really should throw in the towel as everyone is starting to fear for your safety such is the pummeling you're continually taking.
    Other religious members have lost interest in this thread, either because they understand that they can't win some of these more fact-or-no-fact debates, or because even they aren't willing to adhere to the notion of a dead man walking again.
    This is an interesting point. Say what you like about @Risico007 (and we all do, frequently) but at least he turns up for the battle. The only other defender of religion in this thread is @Dragonpol (although he tends to scarper and hide in a ditch somewhere the moment it starts getting a bit tasty) which I find rather odd.

This is a global forum and a quick wiki states that the global breakdown by religion is:
    Christian 31%
    Muslim 24%
    None 16%
    Hindu 15%
    Buddhism 7%

So how come the 16% is so massively overrepresented on here?

Two hypotheses spring to mind:
    1. Religious people are not, by and large, Bond fans. This makes sense as Bond enjoys plenty of sex (outside the sanctity of marriage), gambling, drinking and generally hedonistic living and not too much in the way of praying, coffee mornings and condemning homosexuals. Although to be fair Bond films do feature plenty of violence which most religious groups are partial to.

2. There are more than the two known believers of @Risico007 and @Dragonpol on here but they, for some reason, prefer to remain silent and do not wish to defend the most important and fundamental thing in their life. I mean if someone came on here slagging off OHMSS I wouldn't rest until I'd demolished their arguments, but OHMSS doesn't represent my philosophy for life (unless you count only eating Belgua from the north of the Caspian) and my eternal soul isn't at stake so where are all the fellow believers helping out @Risico007 and Draggers (and I think we can all say they are in direst need of your help)?

Why so timid believers? Surely you couldn't make a worse fist of defending God than @Risico007?

1. Interesting theory but I think it's false. I just did a survey on twenty of my friends who are also Christians. Fifteen are Bond fans. The other five just haven't seen them. I know this doesn't mean anything but just found it somewhat interesting after reading this.

2. Well Wiz, if I'm ever in the mood to get mocked for my beliefs, especially by you lol, I'll be the first one here. As our mutual friend @barryt007 said at the beginning of this thread, you'd need a sword and suit of armor to survive in this snakepit of a thread. Personally, I try to avoid snakepits lol. Sounds like @Risico007 has more balls than me on the subject.

Carry on.
    Hallucinating things creates accurate predictions hmm might have to take lsd the next time I want to play the lotto

Again let’s look at these stories for a split second

The neurologist whose video I posted first and foremost pointed out that is was scientifically impossible for him to have hallucinated his experience but ignoring that because in Thunderfingers parallel world we live in god doesn’t exist and Wizard knows more about neuroscience then a neurologist but moving on he had no idea he had a sister untill he met her in the afterlife and hen found out later that surprise surpise the woman he meet in the afterlife was his half sister who died 3 years earlier... again science it’s not just for skeptics anymore
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2018 Posts: 17,806
    Women can be deluded too. And such "conversions" as Paul's are not unheard of even nowadays, IF the alleged events in Act of the Apostles are true in any way. Mussolini was a Communist before becoming a fascist. But nobody needs to lie, only be convinced that their delusion is true. Heck, prove me Caligula was not a living god. Lots of people in Rome believed it. I mean would they have followed and obeyed a liar?

Mussolini was a socialist, before he championed Italy's entry into the Great War and later invented Fascism, but he was never a communist. There is a difference between the two.
    Risico, you may have misunderstood my post about insanity. I was being sarcastic.
    Hallucinating things creates accurate predictions hmm might have to take lsd the next time I want to play the lotto

The neurologist whose video I posted first and foremost pointed out that is was scientifically impossible for him to have hallucinated his experience but ignoring that because in Thunderfingers parallel world we live in god doesn’t exist and Wizard knows more about neuroscience then a neurologist but moving on he had no idea he had a sister untill he met her in the afterlife and hen found out later that surprise surpise the woman he meet in the afterlife was his half sister who died 3 years earlier... again science it’s not just for skeptics anymore

What kind of prophecy you are referring to? What was said what event was accurately predicted?

And who cares about these videos you post? Some neurologist claims one thing or another so what? I've heard a Muslim telling me the story of a man whose body froze to death but somehow survived and he then converted to Islam for whatever reason. Does that mean Allah is the one true god?

@Dragonpol My mistake about Mussolini. Either way, he went from an extreme to another and was wrong both times. Although I'd say he was more wrong and dangerous as a fascist.
    No worries, @Ludovico. I did a dissertation on Mussolini for my History degree.

In February 1924 Fascist Italy was the first country to recognise the USSR as a state, however. So there is that.
    To be fair communists often labelled themselves as socialists as it was the most socially (excuse the pun, totally accidental by the way) accepted term. Anyway my point remains: one can radically change ideology, or idea. Many atheists were former Fundamentalist Christians for instance. I was not a fundy but certainly a devout Catholic.
    To be fair communists often labelled themselves as socialists as it was the most socially (excuse the pun, totally accidental by the way) accepted term. Anyway my point remains: one can radically change ideology, or idea. Many atheists were former Fundamentalist Christians for instance. I was not a fundy but certainly a devout Catholic.

Yes, they are on the same spectrum and I agree socialism is more socially acceptable than communism. And that's true too. To rail against something, you often have to be that thing first of all. I suppose it stands to reason really. It also helps to explain the passion many atheists go on to express about religion and faith.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Risico, you may have misunderstood my post about insanity. I was being sarcastic.
    Perhaps it was a typo and you meant 'inanity'?

Regarding your desperation to prove an out of body experience as proof of heaven:
    http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1655632,00.html

Then compare this: https://ki.se/en/about/startpage which is the homepage of the institute doing the above research and the one for your esteemed body: https://iands.org/

A few quotes from their websites:

The Karolinska Insititute: 'Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s foremost medical universities.
    As a university, KI is Sweden’s single largest centre of medical academic research and offers the country’s widest range of medical courses and programmes.

Since 1901 the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet has selected the Nobel laureates in Physiology or Medicine.
    '

IANDS: 'Don't NDEs prove that there is life after death?
    Certainly this is a very popular interpretation, although there is no "proof" in a statistical sense and no consensus of opinion. A more cautious explanation is that NDEs suggest that some aspect of human consciousness may continue after physical death.
    '

I let the reader make up their own mind as to which is the more credible organisation.
    Remington wrote: »

1. Interesting theory but I think it's false. I just did a survey on twenty of my friends who are also Christians. Fifteen are Bond fans. The other five just haven't seen them. I know this doesn't mean anything but just found it somewhat interesting after reading this.
    Very good of you to do some impromptu research and despite the small sample concentrated on only Christians that does seem to disprove that theory and suggest that the religious (or at least Christian westerners) are more than happy to be Bond fans.
    Remington wrote: »
    2. Well Wiz, if I'm ever in the mood to get mocked for my beliefs, especially by you lol, I'll be the first one here. As our mutual friend @barryt007 said at the beginning of this thread, you'd need a sword and suit of armor to survive in this snakepit of a thread. Personally, I try to avoid snakepits lol. Sounds like @Risico007 has more balls than me on the subject.
    Well I think this thread is very fair in that we only mock people who hold ridiculous beliefs sans any discernible proof. If your beliefs fall under this description then sorry old boy but yes you are fair game. There's no sword or armor required to survive in this thread, merely logic and reason.

If we are to give your small survey some credence though then there should be plenty of believers on these boards but they never pipe up in this thread. Now I'm not saying you speak for everyone but it says a lot about the religious that they keep quiet for fear of ridicule. Where's your faith guys? The apostles were happy to die for their belief in God but you are worried about a bit of piss taking from some infidels? How's it going to look when you face St Pete at the pearly gates and he says 'What did you do when people were ridiculing the Lord? Why did you not speak up?'

Personally I'd counter with 'That's a bit rich coming from the bloke who kept denying his faith until the cock crowed mate. Now open up.'
    Sorry,why are my ears burning and i am being mentioned several times,peeps ?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Sorry,why are my ears burning and i am being mentioned several times,peeps ?

I think because you predicted the outcome of the thread very well in the first post it received!
This discussion has been closed.