The MI6 Community Religion and Faith Discussion Space (for members of all faiths - and none!)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Catholic guilt. Isn't it wonderful? It truly is a mystery on its own.
    The child abuse, the suffering.

All in the name of something that doesn't exist.

Crazy people... and all of them working from The Bible. The Holy Book. The Truth.

Evolution is working too slowly.
    One of my favorite quotes from Guillermo was in his Golden Globe acceptance speech when he said, "Since childhood I've been faithful to monsters; I have been saved and absolved by them..."

He went to say other interesting stuff. Very sad to see he was choked out by religion in his youth. A lot of kids have suffered rough childhood because of religion. I think everyone should have the choice of whether or not to follow a religion, and it must not negatively affect others.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Crazy people... and all of them working from The Bible. The Holy Book. The Truth.

Child abuse is only one part of it. I grew up a Catholic. Never was abused by a priest, but brainwashed for sure. It's the influence that is at the crux of it, the illegitimate influence of godly men who pass their superstitious ignorance as some kind of virtue.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Our ally Turkey has now declared jihad on the Kurds in Syria.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Aren't they meant to be a secular state in Turkey?
    Dragonpol wrote: »

In theory. Erdogan however is an Islamist and wants to change that. If he hasn't succeeded already.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,906
    Ludovico wrote: »

In theory. Erdogan however is an Islamist and wants to change that. If he hasn't succeeded already.

Yes, I'd heard that in radio news reports. It all rather flies in the face of the father of modern Turkey, Mustafa Kemal (Attaturk), however.
    Ataturk realized that islam was destroying his countrymen.

Looking at the modern world, he was no doubt correct in his view.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

You can't say that about the religion of peace in modern Britain. Next thing you'll be saying you like birds with big tits and then, I'm afraid, I will have to call the police.

You can't say that about the religion of peace in modern Britain. Next thing you'll be saying you like birds with big tits and then, I'm afraid, I will have to call the police.

You know me. I'll say it anyway, come what may.
    Islam sure sucks.
    One thing I never want to take for granted about America is that we can choose or not choose any given religion without being tortured or killed for it (usually; if it happens, it’s unlawful obviously). Many places still have a disturbing iron grip on their nations via religion.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    One thing I never want to take for granted about America is that we can choose or not choose any given religion without being tortured or killed for it (usually; if it happens, it’s unlawful obviously). Many places still have a disturbing iron grip on their nations via religion.

The same is true of the UK of course.
    That’s good. I assumed it was one of the more advanced countries in that way.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I don't think Erdogan is an Islamist. He's just a would-be dictator having the right hunch about what to exploit in his countrymen to achieve his goals. Just like the hypocrite Christian politicians in the U.S. using their constituents' belief in that middle-eastern fairy-tale collection to line their pockets and secretly do everything that's forbidden according to that book.

No we are just as much in thrall to religion as anywhere else.

Can’t be as bad as certain Middle Eastern countries. You can be potentially executed for being gay in some.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Can’t be as bad as certain Middle Eastern countries. You can be potentially executed for being gay in some.

It's not been so long since homosexuality was a crime in places like Germany either, though not punishable by execution since the death penalty was abolished after the war. Still, it's a question of degree and should allow only limited finger-pointing.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

It's not been so long since homosexuality was a crime in places like Germany either, though not punishable by execution since the death penalty was abolished after the war. Still, it's a question of degree and should allow only limited finger-pointing.

It is a question of degree, but it can be quite significant obviously depending on the country. And homosexuality is just one aspect you can look at when it comes to religious laws.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

It is a question of degree, but it can be quite significant obviously depending on the country. And homosexuality is just one aspect you can look at when it comes to religious laws.

The oppressive nature of Christianity and its many Churches is still there. Like I said their attitude towards Islam is one of penis envy.

Child abuse is only one part of it. I grew up a Catholic. Never was abused by a priest, but brainwashed for sure. It's the influence that is at the crux of it, the illegitimate influence of godly men who pass their superstitious ignorance as some kind of virtue.

Sorry to hear it.

For years I was raised a Christian, but for the better part of the last few years I have had doubts and opinion changes. It’s hard though when people very close to you are strong believers and may not take things well about how I have changed. I harbor no ill will towards them because they are still good people and never abused me. That’s why I’m not a real hater or follower of religion, but I certainly recognize the evils and wrongs of organized religion. I don’t like getting personal often but I know here many will understand this.

Sorry to hear it.

For years I was raised a Christian, but for the better part of the last few years I have had doubts and opinion changes. It’s hard though when people very close to you are strong believers and may not take things well about how I have changed. I harbor no ill will towards them because they are still good people and never abused me. That’s why I’m not a real hater or follower of religion, but I certainly recognize the evils and wrongs of organized religion. I don’t like getting personal often but I know here many will understand this.

Don't feel sorry. My background is not different in that regard than any man or woman of my generation in Quebec. Separation of Church and State is a long, slow work in progress.

Sorry to hear it.

Don't feel sorry. My background is not different in that regard than any man or woman of my generation in Quebec. Separation of Church and State is a long, slow work in progress.

It’s definitely hard to be 100% at peace with the transition. It’s very difficult when you’ve had a faith since you can remember. But my heart just hasn’t been there for months now.

Sorry to hear it.

It’s definitely hard to be 100% at peace with the transition. It’s very difficult when you’ve had a faith since you can remember. But my heart just hasn’t been there for months now.

I can understand it's hard going against everything you've ever known and possibly your family as well but the thing is you clearly already realise you've outgrown religion so making the next step isn't that difficult and once you've done it you won't regret it.

I imagine it's a lot like a gay person coming out and I've never heard of anyone who didn't say it was like having a huge weight lifted off them and they wished they'd done it years ago.

Sorry to hear it.

I can understand it's hard going against everything you've ever known and possibly your family as well but the thing is you clearly already realise you've outgrown religion so making the next step isn't that difficult and once you've done it you won't regret it.

I imagine it's a lot like a gay person coming out and I've never heard of anyone who didn't say it was like having a huge weight lifted off them and they wished they'd done it years ago.

I’m not gay but I imagine it is indeed similar in coming out to religious people. I don’t think the ones I would come out to would disown me, but they would feel let down and probably not fully understand. My father certainly wouldn’t, but fortunately he’s out of the picture.
    Be glad you come from a religion that is fairly easy to leave. If you were a muslim, it would be slightly harder.
    do_detectives_think__icon4_.jpg

Sorry to hear it.

I’m not gay but I imagine it is indeed similar in coming out to religious people. I don’t think the ones I would come out to would disown me, but they would feel let down and probably not fully understand. My father certainly wouldn’t, but fortunately he’s out of the picture.

Jen Peeples from The Atheist Experience said that it was easier for her to come out as gay to her family than come out as an atheist. I was lucky enough to be in a non religious family to begin with and my parents were unconscious atheists anyway.
    I’m now agnostic. Most commenting here seem to be of an atheist affiliation.

Anyway, coming out won’t be easy at all. I don’t know when or how I should do it. I love my family, and I dearly hope my spiritual change won’t lessen their love for me. It’s uncharted territory.
This discussion has been closed.