Birding Bond

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Fascinating. Don t forget the Swann.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Good idea. mud-LEEN!maxresdefault.jpg
    edited March 2017 Posts: 12,916
    The namesake of the Bond Girl in SPECTRE, Madeleine Swann. Who knows her birds, by the way.

In Western culture, symbols of love and fidelity. The children's fable "The Ugly Duckling" by Hans Christian Anderson remains well-known, serving up the lesson for how a false view of proposed ugliness (modern example, Daniel Craig described as having a "face like a slapped a**") plays out where the one-time target of derision for being different becomes recognized and well-loved for his natural charm and good looks (witness: People Magazine, "2008's Sexiest Men Alive"). Operas Lohengrin and Parsifal focus on swans.
    41ZK8Y9BKBL.jpghello_my_name_is_craig_mug.jpg?width=225&height=225&Filters=%5B%7B%22name%22%3A%22background%22%2C%22value%22%3A%22F2F2F2%22%2C%22sequence%22%3A2%7D%5D

In Greek myth, a union of Zeus (in disguise as a swan) and Leda, Queen of Sparta, conceived Helen of Troy. In sarcasm, Juvenal's comment of a good woman as a "rare bird, as rare on earth as a black swan", produced the Latin rara avis, or rare bird. There is the idea a mute swan, silent in life, will sing beautifully upon its death--the swan song. The mute swan is a sacred bird of Apollo, as a symbol of light and the swan song, and his chariot is drawn by a swan or swans as he ascends to Delos.
    klaztet.jpg?w=573&h=300nakedapollo2.jpg?w=809

The 1906 Fabergé jeweled Easter egg (Russian: Яйца Фаберже́; yaytsa faberzhe), created by the House of Fabergé, is the Swan. Made for Russian tsars as Easter gifts for wives and mothers, destined to become the property of a lady you could say.
    yhst-70046357739354_2243_11423963
    Swan, in English (and variations in German, Dutch, Swedish) is derived from Indo-European root swen, means to sing. A group is a bevy on land, a wedge when flying. Their young are swanlings or cygnets. Old French cigne or cisne, Latin cygnus, variants of cycnus "swan" related to the Greek κύκνος kýknos. Male is a cob (Middle English cobbe, or group leader), female is a pen.

The largest waterfowl. Northern Hemisphere: pure white. Southern Hemisphere (southern South America, Australia, New Zealand): black and white or all black. Absent in central and southern Asia, all of Africa.

Mostly herbivores. Toothless, but with serrated edges on beaks that act in that purpose. Monogamous, different from other waterfowl the male helps build the nest and incubate the eggs. Fierce protectors of nests.

Whooper swan (Cygnus cygnus), Iceland, subarctic Europe and Asia
    Whooper%20Swan%20m17-73-216_V.jpg?itok=NhBIQx6M
    Whooper_Swan_p25-3-116_l_1.jpg
    Bewick's swan (Cygnus (columbianus) bewickii), Arctic Russia, western Europe, Eastern Asia
    BLV-in-Latvia.jpg
    Trumpeter swan (Cygnus buccinator), North America
    8-TRUS-profile.jpg
    Tundra swan (Cygnus columbianus), North American tundra and US
    blogtundra01.jpg
    Tundra_Swan_m17-67-824_l_1.jpg
    Whistling swan (Cygnus (columbianus) columbianus), North America
    tundra+swan+and+baby.jpg
    Black-necked swan (Cygnus melancoryphus), South America
    blacknecked.jpg
    Black swan (Cygnus atratus), Australia and New Zealand
    black-swan.jpg
    1b22ab4f23f76bb3122828152170e755.jpg
    Trick question.

Martin Campbell directed his second Bond film in 2006.

What comes next?
    Forster's Tern.

Forster%2527s%2520Tern%2520m17-67-271_l.jpg

Sterna forsteri, from the tern family. Sterna as in Old English "stearn" or "tern"; forsteri to recognize Johann Reinhold Forster, naturalist. Small, grey-white coloring. Red legs and bill (with a black tip). In winter: white forehead, black-eye mask (also juvenile appearance). Breeding: a black cap.

North American breeder in marshes, where colonies gather. Wintering in the Caribbean and north Central America, also rare (but regular) for western Europe, sometimes Ireland, Great Britain. (No European tern winters that north in winter.)

A (shallow) plunge-diver feeding on fish, also hawks insects in flight. Males offer fish in courtship displays. Fierce defenders of nests--the colony itself may wage defense against predators. Other waterfowl can benefit from this justified mob rule. Noisy defense calls can be recognized by non-terns (so-called information parasitism).

Forster's tern
    forsterstern4.jpg
    Forster%27s%20Tern%20Hunting%20web.jpg
    zzForster%27sTern2.jpg
    fote_500.jpg
    27784547145_829904688c_b.jpg
    Forsters-Tern_660x440-660x440.jpg
    Where Milos Columbo in FOR YOUR EYES ONLY has his chosen symbol, it should come as no surprise Columba is Latin for dove. (And Milos meaning lover of glory is also fitting.)
    007-FYEO_TheDove.jpgWhite doves, a form of the rock dove, are commonly used in magic acts (very trainable) and as release birds at events like weddings or remembrance ceremonies (usually end...not well).
    magic.jpg
    Pigeon-Beautiful-Best-HD-Wallpaper.jpg?format=2500w
    white_dove_photographed_against_blue_summer_sky_by_pelvidge-d8hypft.jpg
    Common symbol for peace in Western culture (usually with an olive leaf or branch), symbol for divinity in religion. The use of Pablo Picasso's "Dove of Peace" by the First International Peace Conference (Paris, 1949) further popularized the peace association.
    dove-of-peace.jpg
    Picasso refined the image to be even more iconic.
    golubka-picasso.jpg
    Columba is also a constellation designated in the 16th Century, south of Canis Major, Lepus.
    35163.jpg
    Celestial_photograph_of_Bootes.jpgimage1-e1439180152469.jpg
    The 1950s peace group Paix et Liberté created the poster La colombe qui fait BOUM (the dove that goes BOOM) as a strike against Communism. Take that, Silva.
    3hgf0101z.jpg
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I love this thread so much!
    Goose: addendum.
    down-and-feather-hero.jpg
    goose (ɡo͞os/) noun
    1. large waterfowl, with long neck and short legs, feet webbed, short broad bill (as compared to ducks)
    2. foolish person (a silly goose)

Have a gander: take a careful look at or surveille. What's good for the goose (female) is good for the gander (male). When a person is confronted with certain failure, their goose is cooked. A wild goose chase (looking for oil in the Bolivian desert, for example) is an exercise in futility, a lost cause. Don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. A helpful old lady known as Mother Goose presented many lessons like these as fables.
    stavisky_04.gif
    Goose breeds include Adler Goose (Адлерская), African Goose, Alsatian Goose (Oie d'Alsace), American Buff Goose, Amorstream Goose, Anhui Goose, Aonghus Goose, Arzamas Goose (Арзамасская), Austrian Landrace (Österreichische landgans), Balien Eu Goose, Bavarian Landrace (Bayerische Landgans), Benkov Goose (Бяла Бенковска гъска), Bilgorey Goose, Bogdanovski Goose (= Javakhetian Goose), Bourbon Goose, (Oie du Bourbonnais, Blanche de Bourbonnais), Brecon Buff Goose, Buff Back Goose, Celle Goose (Celler Gans), Changle Goose, Chinese Goose, Co Goose, Cotton Patch Goose, Curly breasted Sebastopol Goose, Czech Goose (Česká husa), Czech crested Goose (Česká chocholatá hus), Danish, Landrace (Danske gæs: grå, gråbroget), Daoxian Goose, Diepholz Goose (Diepholzer Gans), Drava Goose (Dravska guska), Emden Goose (Emdener Gans), Emporda Goose (Emporda-Gans), English Saddleback Goose (→Buff Back Goose), Euskal Antzara Goose, Faroese Goose (Færøske gæs), Fighting Goose (= Steinbacher Goose), Flemish Goose (Oie flamande), Franconian Goose (Fränkische Landgans), Garbonosa Goose, German Laying Goose (Deutsche Legegans), Gorki Goose (Горьковская or Линдовская), Gorkowska Goose, Greyback Goose, Han Tah Pra Goose, Hungarian Goose, Huoyan Goose, Hwo Goose, Italian Goose (→Tufted Roman Goose), Javakhetian Goose, Kaluga Goose, Kangan Goose, Kartuzy Landrace (Kartuska), Kholmogory Goose (Холмогорская), Kielce Landrace (Kielecka), Koean Goose, Krasnozerskoye Goose (Краснозёрская, Krasnozy, Skoye), Kuban Goose (Кубанская), Landes Goose (Oie des Landes), Large Grey Goose, Leine Goose (Leinegans), Lingzian Goose, Likewu Goose, Lionhead Goose, Lippe Goose (Lippegans), Local Geese of Karal and Massakory, Local Goose of Mandelia, Lubelska Goose, Mongolian Local Geese, Normandy Goose (Oie normande; including Crested Normandy Goose), Norwegian White Goose (Norsk hvit gås), Nungan Mieu Goose, Obroshino Goose (Оброшинская), Öland Goose (Ölandsgås), Padans Goose (Oca Padovana), Pereyaslav Goose (Переяславская), Philippine domestic Goose, Pilgrim Goose, Podkarpacka Goose, Poitou Goose (Oie du Poitou, Blanche de Poitou), Pomeranian Goose (including Pomeranian Saddleback), Pskov Bald Goose, (Псковская)Qingyang Goose, Rhenish Goose, Rhineland Laying Goose, (Rheinische Legegans, extinct breed), Romanic Goose (Romaanse gans), Roman Tufted Goose (Oca Italiano), Romny Goose, Russian Goose, Rypinska Goose, Rung Goose, Scania Goose (Skånegås), Sebastopol Goose (Lockengans), Shadrin Goose (→Ural Goose), Shetland Goose, Shitou Goose, Sichuan White Goose, Skanegas, Slovak White Goose (Slovenská hus), Smålen Goose (Smålensgås), Solnechnogorsk Goose, Steinbacher Goose (Steinbacher Kampfgans), Subcarpathian Goose (Podkarpacka), Suwalska Goose (Suwałska), Suchovy Goose (Suchovská hus), Synthetic, Ukrainian Goose, Taihu Goose, Tame Goose, Toulouse Goose (including Light Toulouse), Touraine Goose (Oie de Touraine), Tufted Roman Goose (Oca Italiano), Tula Goose (Tульская бойцовая), Turkish Goose, Twente Landrace (Twentse landgans), Ural Goose or Shadrin Goose (Уральская or Шадринская), Venetian Goose (Oca Pezzata Veneta), Vishtines Goose (Vištinės žąsys), Vladimir Clay Goose (Владимирская глинистая), Wanxi White Goose, West of England Goose (including Crested Goose), White Hungarian Goose, White Italian Goose (→Tufted Roman Goose), White Norman Goose, Wugang Goose, Wulong Goose, Wuzhong Goose, Xupu Goose, Yanguiang Goose, Yan Goose, Yili Goose, Yong Kang Grey Gosse, Zatory Landrace (Zatorska), Zhedong Goose, Zhejiang White Goose, Zie Goose. Some highlights follow.

Danish
    d18c20a6e094875f9f086e916a6b6211.jpg
    Fighting goose
    Tula-Goose-61.jpg
    Large grey goose
    grey-goose-vx-vodka_1.jpg
    Lippe goose
    Dortmund_-_Zoo_-_Lippegans_03_ies.jpg
    Tula goose
    ae723c17391619121015766d563ed9fe.jpg
    West of England goose
    2014-west-of-england-goose-5.jpg
    West-of-England-Goose-Thumb.jpg

"Cubby used to say, 'This is the goose that laid the golden egg, keep it safe'." So recalled his daughter Barbara Broccoli, current co-producer. "One of the things he said was we're temporary people making permanent decisions. When you have a franchise, and you're invested in it as emotionally as we are, you make decisions based on the health of the franchise going forward."
    iStock_000016343997XSmall.jpg
    goose (ɡo͞os/) verb
    1. to boost or invigorate, increase
    2. to poke the buttocks
    margaret-nolan-gif-4.jpg

It is educational and fun.

Also, Bond according to Fleming always was drawn to the "bird with a wing down".
    Also, Bond according to Fleming always was drawn to the "bird with a wing down".
    I have a friend who's partial to that kind of bird-watching.

And another whose pasttime is what he calls birdwatching: spotting and identifying military aircraft.
    So the term really becomes mixed in meaning.
    2822482091_09eebd1c06.jpg
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

It is educational and fun.

Seconded! I'm loving this thread!
  • Also, Bond according to Fleming always was drawn to the "bird with a wing down".
    I have a friend who's partial to that kind of bird-watching.

And another whose pasttime is what he calls birdwatching: spotting and identifying military aircraft.
    So the term really becomes mixed in meaning.
    2822482091_09eebd1c06.jpg

In the words of Roger Moore: "A little of both would be ideal."
    DAD mentions ...quails.
    Mr. Chang: The lobster`s good, with quails` eggs and sliced seaweed.
    butter-poached-lobster-on-a-bed-of-garlic-spinach-topped-with-a-poached-quail-egg-and-beurre-blanc.jpg
    Quail - kwāl/ - noun
    1. Old World (Phasianidae): game bird, small, short tail, similar to the partridge, brown camouflage coloring.
    2. New World (Odontophoridae) - game bird, small to medium-sized, male face with markings.

Ground-dwellers. Capable of flight, but more likely to scurry into hiding. Whether as sport or farm-raised, common quail and Japanese quail are popular birds for eating, includes eggs.

Coturnism: when common quail migrate, ingestion of poison seeds (likely hemlock) causes them no problem but can in turn poison people who dine on them.

California quail male
    small_0029%20adult.jpg
    California quail female
    450-509407620-female-california-quail.jpg
    California quail male, female
    california_quail_pair_sim.jpg

New World: Mountain quail, Scaled quail (blue quail), Elegant quail, California quail, Gambel's quail, Banded quail, Northern bobwhite, Black-throated bobwhite, Spot-bellied bobwhite, Crested bobwhite, Marbled wood quail, Spot-winged wood quail, Black-eared wood quail, Rufous-fronted wood quail, Black-fronted wood quail, Chestnut wood quail, Dark-backed wood quail, Rufous-breasted wood quail, Tacarcuna wood quail, Gorgeted wood quail, Venezuelan wood quail, Black-breasted wood quail, Stripe-faced wood quail, Starred wood quail, Spotted wood quail, Singing quail, Montezuma quail, Ocellated quail,
    Tawny-faced quail,

Old World: Common quail, Japanese quail, Stubble quail, New Zealand quail (extinct), Rain quail, Harlequin quail, Canary Islands quail, Brown quail, Blue quail, King quail, Snow Mountain quail, Jungle bush quail, Rock bush quail, Painted bush quail, Manipur bush quail, Himalayan quail (maybe extinct).

Japanese quail
    japonica.jpg

Harlequin quail
    species_info_page_quail.jpg

Jungle bush quail
    IMG_2393.jpg?itok=CnJVhg_x

Stubble quail
    Stubble%20Quail%20Werribee.jpg

Quail - kwāl/ - verb
    1. to overpower: “Quail, crush, conclude, and quell!” (Shakespeare, A Midsummer-Night's Dream)

Common quail's call is aptly called "wet my lips".
    Common+Quail_3375.jpg

Gather in groups known as flocks, bevies, coveys.
    [A "bevy" is also used for groups of people, especially beautiful women.]
    event_bond_girls_oslo_2015a.jpg
    THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN. Scaramanga's Funhouse. His little... golden... gun. In the craw of a medium-to-large sized black bird (that is not a blackbird.) Difficult to ID, as viewed on screen.

Here is one still photo catching the bird in profile to consider.
    mwgg_funhouse1.png

There are three likely suspects.

Crow - krō / noun
    1. medium large bird, black feathers and beak, noisy
    2. negative term for an unwanted woman, as plain or old, maybe ugly, or simply not as good
    (e.g. "I liked KD Lang's song better")
    3. the constellation (Corvus)
    nocr_01-vapa-vabc-2013-02-23-web.jpgd63d331b8e9d8ede857e2bb26f4acb8e.jpg
    article-1279622-09A641AE000005DC-777_634x590.jpg

Raven - ˈrāvən / noun
    1. large bird, black, thicker beak
    2. the constellation (Corvus)
    adjective
    1. jet-black, glossy (hair, or in this case feathers)
    CommonRavenJB1.jpg

Rook - roo k / noun
    1. European crow, black, gregarious; white skin usually above thinner beak
    2. a hustler, as at card games or dice
    verb
    3. to cheat; fleece; swindle
    (e.g. "I'm standing on it"; "it's all... in the wrist"; "the cards say WE WILL BE LOVERS")
    rook_thumb1.jpg?imgmax=800
    165932.jpg

Confusion between the birds is understandable.
    article-1027121-017EBDBB00000578-598_468x505.jpg

The verdict? Another still gives detail to the beak. Smaller than a raven, thicker than a rook.
    600px-Mwtgg-gold1.jpg
    So, a crow.bird-flight-black-crow-white-background-clipart-tribal-50414219.jpg

MI0001756012.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
    Crow. Sheryl Crow.
    I couldn't find an image of her with a gun in her mouth. Go figure.
    The whole score is based around Surrender if you listen closely to TND's score.
    What do you have on guano?
    Sure, let me get back to you on that.
    GuanoAd1866Newspaper_blog.jpg?itok=Am8UhyS6
    Part of my response will be "No". If that makes sense.
    Gua is Chinese for doctor.
  • That Crow is smoking!
    Sheryl, I hope.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 12,916
    Guano - ˈɡwä nō/ - noun
    1. fertilizer sourced from dried excrement, usually seabirds, bats
    2. fertilizer from fish
    3. euphemism for excrement or ****
    also
    1. undesirable condition ("this is bird*****") or situation ("that is bat**** crazy!")

Bat guano (from caves) may be more popular today, there are also markets for bird guano and seal guano.
    Large quantities of bird guano are literally mined for sale as fertilizer with high nitrogen, phosphates, potassium.
    03_03a_lg.jpg
    guano-islands-mining-728x436.jpg

The word can be sourced to Andean language and culture, likely they have collected guano from islands off the coast of Peru for more than 1,500 years. Colonists from Spain in South America reported Incans valued guano, greatly controlled it to the point a disturbance of the birds could receive a death sentence. By the 1800s, the guano trade helped modernize farming and led to humans inhabiting what had been islands exclusively for the birds. Outright wars between nations (includes the Chincha Islands War between Spain and Chile, 1864–1866) have been fought over the control of guano. In our 21st Century, guano is a favorite used for organic farming. The guano business is also responsible for early conservation efforts.

Prime guano producers include the Guanay cormorant foremost, then the Peruvian pelican and Peruvian booby.
    Of course many more contribute, like the Inca Tern.

Guanay cormorant
    Guanay-Cormorant.jpg
    Fig-9-Kinsley1.jpg

Peruvian pelican
    chiloe_pelican1.jpg
    pelicano-peruano-peruvian-pelican-0000004711_1000.jpg

Peruvian booby
    3p8a5853_peruvian_booby_dpp_n30_8_10_p.jpg?itok=buLa_VqC
    860-285404.jpg

Inca tern
    Larosterna_inca_%28Inca_Tern_-_Inkaseeschwalbe%29_Weltvogelpark_Walsrode_2012-012.jpg
    inca-tern-82.jpg?imgmax=800
    So guano is no joke.
    Ian Fleming:
    The Chief of Staff slapped the file shut. He said, "Well, this is the story as we passed it to Strangways on January 20th. He acknowledged receipt, but after that we heard nothing from him." The Chief of Staff sat back in his chair. He looked at Bond. "It seems there's a bird called a Roseate Spoonbill. There's a coloured photograph of it in here. Looks like a sort of pink stork with an ugly flat bill which it uses for digging for food in the mud. Not many years ago these birds were dying out. Just before the war there were only a few hundred left in the world, mostly in Florida and thereabouts. Then somebody reported a colony of them on an island called Crab Key between Jamaica and Cuba. It's British territory-a dependency of Jamaica. Used to be a guano island, but the quality of the guano was too low for the cost of digging it. When the birds were found there, it had been uninhabited for about fifty years. The Audubon people went there and ended up by leasing a corner as a sanctuary for these spoonbills. Put two wardens in charge and persuaded the airlines to stop flying over the island and disturbing the birds. The birds flourished and at the last count there were about five thousand of them on the island. Then came the war. The price of guano went up and some bright chap had the idea of buying the island and starting to work it again. He negotiated with the Jamaican Government and bought the place for ten thousand pounds with the condition that he didn't disturb the lease of the sanctuary. That was in 1943. Well, this man imported plenty of cheap labour and soon had the place working at a profit and it's gone on making a profit until recently. Then the price of guano took a dip and it's thought that he must be having a hard time making both ends meet."

"Who is this man?"

"Chinaman, or rather half Chinese and half German. Got a daft name.
    Calls himself Doctor No--Doctor Julius No."
    %7B6AFBCD30-15D5-4CFC-87F4-4D80E42A9FEC%7DImg100.jpg

Roseate spoonbill (Platalea ajaja): a large wading bird that feeds in shallow water usually on the coast. Found from the US southeast through the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, Mexico, Central and South America east of the Andes. Its bill, swung left and right, is a sifter through muddy water to gather marine life from shellfish to bugs to amphibians and small fish. Ingesting food with carotenoid pigment gives the striking color from pink to magenta, varies by age, location. A group of spoonbill is called a bowl.

Roseate spoonbill
    02_-_roseate_spoonbill.jpg
    10425.jpg
    Roseate_Spoonbill_06.jpg
    6a010535647bf3970b017ee9dffa8f970d-500wi
    4179214-the-roseate-spoonbill.jpg
  • Sheryl, I hope.

Her too!
    The Spanish word flamenco, which is a dance, has two meanings. The first is Fleming, meaning someone from the Belgian province of Flandern. The second is flamingo, the bird.
    Bgz9xm8CIAMpSXC.jpg
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    ianfleming.jpg
    edited May 2017 Posts: 12,916
    ggl007 wrote: »
    IAN FLEMING PUBLICATIONS LIMITED.
    ian_fleming_business_card.jpg
    Ian Fleming Publications Limited is the successor to Glidrose, publisher of the original Bond novels in the 1950s and 1960s. The name Glidrose is a combination of its founders John Gliddon and Norman Rose. Fleming bought the company in 1952. Today it's operated by the Fleming family.

The company logo (above) uses the image of a doctor bird, the national bird of Jamaica.
    c82df6b56314c8e74700ac7d9a0edad0.jpg

Fleming describes the doctor bird in the opening passage to his story "For Your Eyes Only".
    The most beautiful bird in Jamaica, and some say the most beautiful bird in the world, is the streamer-tail or doctor humming-bird. The cock bird is about nine inches long, but seven inches of it are tail — two long black feathers that curve and cross each other and whose inner edges are in a form of scalloped design. The head and crest are black, the wings dark green, the long bill is scarlet, and the eyes, bright and confiding, are black. The body is emerald green, so dazzling that when the sun is on the breast you see the brightest green thing in nature. In Jamaica, birds that are loved are given nicknames. Trochilus polytmus is called 'doctor bird' because his two black streamers remind people of the black tail-coat of the old-time physician.
    for-your-eyes-only.jpg
    I can only add the bird is known as the Doctor bird (Trochilus polytmus) but also as the Red-billed streamertail, scissor-tail or scissors tail hummingbird. Only the male has the signature tail. It is endemic to (lives only in) Jamaica.

Doctor bird
    c0fa1bfc7b5427ddba6c89e17467a21d.jpg
    offset_37699.jpg
    Doctor bird female
    the-doctor-bird-jamaica-national-bird.jpg
    The Spanish word flamenco, which is a dance, has two meanings. The first is Fleming, meaning someone from the Belgian province of Flandern. The second is flamingo, the bird.
    In his book Doctor No, Fleming reported flamingos on the east end of Crab Key.

In the novel Diamonds Are Forever, Bond gets acquainted with Las Vegas and the famous Flamingo Hotel and Casino. You can find flamingos kept in the courtyard there.
    "On ya right, The Flamingo," said Ernie Cureo as they passed a low-lying modernistic hotel with a huge tower of neon, now dead, outside it. "Bugsy Siegel built that back in 1946. He came over to Vegas from the coast one day and took a look round. Had a lot of hot money looking for investment. Vegas was goin' great guns. Town wide open. Gambling. Legalized cat-shops. Nice set-up. It didn't take long for Bugsy to catch on. He saw the possibilities."
    87c11c_fae7810e3e2bb71eccde928ab5344205.jpg_srz_808_497_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER filming location: the intersection of Flamingo and Las Vegas Boulevard.
    56761927_T11bba77CkERRVKWS31hqTsmPd3-dDwJQYULuF8wlvI.jpg

As identified by @Birdleson in the excellent MI6 discussion Bond Film Statistics Page 6 - THE ANIMALS OF BOND Part I, a papier mâché flamingo appears in the Junkanoo celebration, THUNDERBALL.

Flamingo - fləˈ MING ɡō/ - noun
    1. large wading bird, pink or scarlet red coloring, long legs, long neck
    2. the letter "O", on fire

More on the name: Portuguese or Spanish flamengo means "flame-colored", also consider flama ("flame") and the Germanic suffix (-ing). So its Latin name Phoenicopterus (Greek: φοινικόπτερος phoinikopteros) has the literal meaning "blood red-feathered".

Flamingo (Phoenicopterus): known to stand on one leg for some unknown reason. Take on a pink to red coloring from the carotene pigment picked up in their diet (pale or white appearance indicates malnourished). When feeding, bills are held upside down in muddy water to sift algae and brine shrimp. Colonies may number in the thousands, other words for a group include a flamboyance or pat, stand, regiment.

Greater flamingo (Phoenicopterus roseus); Africa, Southern Europe, South Asia
    greater-flamingo1.jpg

Lesser flamingo (Phoeniconaias minor); Africa, India
    lesser-flamingo5.jpg

Chilean flamingo (Phoenicopterus chilensis); South America
    dsc06131_flamenco_austral-adulto-silvia_vitale-ibc.jpg

James's flamingo (Phoenicoparrus jamesi); South America
    james-flamingo5.jpg

Andean flamingo (Phoenicoparrus andinus); South America
    215256602.jpg?img1440737921794

American flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber); Caribbean, Mexico, Belize, Galapagos islands
    image_gallery?uuid=72a92426-a987-4304-a63c-a24f875a1dae&groupId=11003
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Since we've had the "crane" from CR, Madeleine "Swan(n)", a "Brandt" goose...let's not forget the franchise's most prominent duck:
    1280px-Citroen_2CV_%284669619073%29.jpg
    (This image was originally posted to Flickr by dave_7 at http://flickr.com/photos/21612624@N00/4669619073 and is licensed under the terms of the cc-by-2.0.)

The Citroën 2CV was first called „de lelijke eend“ (the ugly duckling) by a Dutch journalist upon its introduction in 1948. The name quickly caught on, mostly in Germany where the initial "hässliches Entlein" (again, ugly duckling) was quickly and permanently reduced to "Ente" (duck), which contributed to it becoming a cult vehicle. Citroën later adopted that and named special models for sale in Germany "Charleston-Ente", "Dolly-Ente", or for that matter, "James-Bond-Ente". Hopelessly outdated in spite of its "cult" status, the car was finally discontinued in 1990.