24 (2001 - 14) / 24: Legacy (2017) / Designated Survivor (2016 - 19)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    ... well bad news for me. They took 24 off of Netflix, I was only on episode 8 of season 7! ~X(

Amazon, man. They did an exclusivity thing for streaming rights.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    That's providing you're UK based of course.

I live in America.
    You can't actually rent it where you are? We have tons of video rental stores still here in Japan.

There use to be a bunch of rental stores in the city I live in but they all closed down because of Redbox and Netflix. One opened up a couple years back but last I checked they don't carry any of the seasons of 24.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    You can't actually rent it where you are? We have tons of video rental stores still here in Japan.

There use to be a bunch of rental stores in the city I live in but they all closed down because of Redbox and Netflix. One opened up a couple years back but last I checked they don't carry any of the seasons of 24.

The DVDs aren't exactly expensive online.

Pretty much all the good rental places have been driven out of business by Redbox, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video... There's one about a mile away from my house that only carries brand new stuff and stuff from ten years ago.
    Yet another trailer, this one extremely badass.

Yet another trailer, this one extremely badass.

Oh yes!!! Jeez I so cannot wait to see this back on the box! Will be avoiding this thread once it starts!
    Watching my favorite season, Season 4, to prepare for the upcoming Live Another Day. Hard to believe it's a little under three weeks away.
    Has anybody else watched the opening two episodes of this yet? I'm just catching up on SKY Go. 1st episode just finished.
    I need to re-watch them. I was watching them, but the family was talking and having a fun time, so while I did get the gist of both episodes, I do need to re-watch them to get the whole story.
    I've never watched 24 but thought,as this series is in London i will have a look.
    I watched 10 mins of it and didnt have a clue what was going on.

Luckily SKY have 'catch up box sets' which are free so i have gone back to series one and watched the first 2 episodes last night.

I must say its pretty impressive,and as Keifer Sutherland is a born Brit,he is obviously doing a good job !! ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah just finished the first two episodes. It's going quite well, even if Chloe's emo look is ridiculous.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I watched the first two yesterday and it's... well it's 24. Nothing really new but still great! Looking forward to the rest.
    Yes that was my impression of it too.

The show ended 4 years ago because the creators said they took it as far as they could and it was going stale.

They've brought it back, and apart from shortening it to 12 episodes, absolutely nothing else has changed.

Shame really. I'm still enjoying it but I was hoping for something different this time.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I haven't seen it yet but will try to very soon.

I loved the first 24, and I love London - so even if the format is the same (although they have different time elements now, which I think is good) I still hope to enjoy it. A lot. I don't mind if it is very similar to the first show, because the first series was so excellent.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    That was a great start

The show ended 4 years ago because the creators said they took it as far as they could and it was going stale.

They've brought it back, and apart from shortening it to 12 episodes, absolutely nothing else has changed.

Shame really. I'm still enjoying it but I was hoping for something different this time.

SHORTENING it to 12 episodes ? ..i'm only on episode 4 of the first series and that is 12 episodes,how many does it go up to ???!!!

barryt007 wrote:

SHORTENING it to 12 episodes ? ..i'm only on episode 4 of the first series and that is 12 episodes,how many does it go up to ???!!!

24 episodes per series. Each episode represents one hour,
    sod that then...i dont have time to sit through all that.
    barryt007 wrote:
    sod that then...i dont have time to sit through all that.

That's the spirit! ;-)
    he he ....i will stick to Hannibal being my latest American guilty pleasure methinks..
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    barryt007 wrote:
    he he ....i will stick to Hannibal being my latest American guilty pleasure methinks..

It's well worth sitting through the 24 episodes. Especially for the first few seasons.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Watched the first two episodes last night. The first one was brilliant, Jack at his most badass. The second was pretty good too, although not as good as the first. I'm really enjoying it so far though and I can't wait for the next one.

One thing I like about it is that it captures the London I grew up in. I expected your standard big budget film portrayal of London, lots of shots of big office blocks and all the iconic landmarks (the trailer didn't help my expectations, a black cab with a union jack on it AND a red phonebox AND a London bus AND the gherkin, really? We get that it's set in London, we're not stupid). But then the first bit of the episode has Jack escaping through an East End market and one of the villains is hiding out on a council estate.
    Watched the first two episodes last night. The first one was brilliant, Jack at his most badass. The second was pretty good too, although not as good as the first. I'm really enjoying it so far though and I can't wait for the next one.

One thing I like about it is that it captures the London I grew up in. I expected your standard big budget film portrayal of London, lots of shots of big office blocks and all the iconic landmarks (the trailer didn't help my expectations, a black cab with a union jack on it AND a red phonebox AND a London bus AND the gherkin, really? We get that it's set in London, we're not stupid). But then the first bit of the episode has Jack escaping through an East End market and one of the villains is hiding out on a council estate.

Or the "Projects" as the Americans call it. ;-)

I'm currently re-working my way back through Season 1. Haven't watched it in a number of years.
    The first season is my favourite just because it was the first one I saw and I loved the whole idea of it. I haven't rewatched any of the seasons since I first started watching the show in 2011 (I did try to watch the first one in a day once but I got bored after a few episodes). I might rewatch them once Live Another Day is finished actually.

Are they going to do more series' after this one? Or is this the last one again? If it's the last one I hope that Jack manages to redeem himself or at least we get proper closure (like he dies or something). I didn't like the ending to season 8. I get what they were trying to do (after all the shit he goes through, Jack's labelled a terrorist and is forced to go on the run, he can't even see his kid again, it is a tragic ending), but it was too ambiguous for me. He goes on the run and, then what? He just lays low for the rest of his life? Or do the goverment track him down? etc. That's why I'm really happy that this season got made.
    I think it all depends on the success of this series. I imagine they'll stick within a time frame of 12 episodes per series if they decide to continue.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Yeah probably, and I don't blame them. While I loved the whole 24 hour concept it must have been a real pain in the arse for the writers, having to stretch out one main story across 24 episodes.

While I wasn't a fan of the idea at first, now I think that the whole 12 episode idea could benefit the show; make it seem much more focused, much less dragged out.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,350
    The first episodes are following the structure as per normal, so there may only be one, 12 hour, time jump, halfway through the series. In that time, everyone sleeps. ;) Hardly a new concept when all is said and done. Skipping every other hour would have been more interesting to see and write, I bet. So far, to me, this is the same old 24, bland adventure number nine.

If it's a success, more series will be made. Just don't expect one every year is what we've been told.
    Sure, maybe these first two hours have been full of the 24 cliches (I just got around to finally watching them), but holy shit, that was incredible. Easily two of the best episodes (if not the two outright best; between seasons 6 - 8 it doesn't exactly have much competition) 24 has had since at least the fifth season finished.
    Watched the first two episodes - LOVED it! So happy this series is back.
    My partner watched 24 Season 1 for the first time over the last couple of days.
    He was stunned when Nina was revealed to be the mole. He assumed it was Mason. Just like everyone else when it was first shown. :-)
    Yes, the first season was awesome! Stunning is the word. It was extremely well written and so well acted, by everybody involved. It was such a different kind of show for that time. I was blown away when I first saw it.