24 (2001 - 14) / 24: Legacy (2017) / Designated Survivor (2016 - 19)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Not sure if I like the new 12 episode deal but we'll see how it plays out I suppose.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    (as I think Bond is just as much America's/the worlds)

Think that all you want but at the end of the day it's the Union Jack on his parachute, it's Britain that gave him to the world and it's the UK where he's most popular.
    Bond is for everyone, don't be shallow. Bond films wouldn't be around today if the whole world didn't embrace him. Members of all the world's countries both near and far go and see these films and share that experience that helps to keep Bond alive. He is exclusive to nobody and owned by all.
    Think that all you want but at the end of the day it's the Union Jack on his parachute, it's Britain that gave him to the world and it's the UK where he's most popular.

That's like saying Star Wars, or MARVEL, or Jack Bauer is mostly America's because the men who made those are American. All of them are the worlds if the world will have them. If you are a fan then they are yours, if you're not then move along.

Well said sir
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @Samuel001 It didn't always work but I thought it was a big part of what made the show unique. Although it's still in real time so it shouldn't be that big a deal.

That's like saying Star Wars, or MARVEL, or Jack Bauer is mostly America's because the men who made those are American. All of them are the worlds if the world will have them. If you are a fan then they are yours, if you're not then move along.

Well yeah, those things are American.

I'm not saying Americans can't be fans but they're fans of a British franchise. All around the world people enjoy the films but it doesn't change the fact that the character is British.

If you asked somebody on the street "is James Bond English?" anybody with any vague knowledge of the franchise would answer yes.

Although the films could be considered partly American actually, because of the producers.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837

Yes, the title is lame, lame, lame. And this new series will be set several years after the last one... Isn't Jack Bauer supposed to be elderly now? I mean they jumped forward two or three years in season 3, jumped don't know how many years afterwards.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes, the title is lame, lame, lame. And this new series will be set several years after the last one... Isn't Jack Bauer supposed to be elderly now? I mean they jumped forward two or three years in season 3, jumped don't know how many years afterwards.

I actually like the title. It's Bondish and it's fitting for a show about an entire day.

Isn't Bond supposed to be 80 or 90 now? It all just in good fun and entertainment.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Ludovico wrote:

I actually like the title. It's Bondish and it's fitting for a show about an entire day.

Isn't Bond supposed to be 80 or 90 now? It all just in good fun and entertainment.

The difference there being that Bond isn't an established grandfather right now.
    I meant the thread title as it's not a movie now.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I was simply talking about the age thing.
    Could they not come up with something new???
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    SaintMark wrote:

I think this is perfectly valid in its existence. The show didn't get a proper ending and that's something that needs to be rectified.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I meant the thread title as it's not a movie now.

lol oh. I think since I made the thread I can change it. Hmmm... what do I change the title to? How about "24"?!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Or 24: Live Another Day? Either works.
    Ludovico wrote:

The difference there being that Bond isn't an established grandfather right now.

Here it is. Bond was always pictured in the movies as somewhat ageless, like serial heroes and superheroes. Jack Bauer is already, in continuity, a father and a grandfather.
    SaintMark wrote:

I think this is perfectly valid in its existence. The show didn't get a proper ending and that's something that needs to be rectified.

Fair enough, I never enjoyed this show much. I never made it past halfway Series 1 so I am the last person to critize another series. I was just curious, hence my remark.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Fair enough, I never enjoyed this show much. I never made it past halfway Series 1 so I am the last person to critize another series. I was just curious, hence my remark.

What turned you off it? Was it just not your thing? :)
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/23553216

Wonder where they got the inspiration for that title!

I thought 24 had long run it's course some years back, but ya never know, might be worth a watch.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,809
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/23553216

Wonder where they got the inspiration for that title!

I thought 24 had long run it's course some years back, but ya never know, might be worth a watch.

That name is something of an albatross around its neck, even at this early stage, I fear. It certainly does not bode well, in any event.
    Ah thanks. I did have a search for one but couldn't see it. Seems the news I posted is old anyway.
    Do not have high hopes at all for Live Another Day. The show ended on a whimper with its three worst seasons aired back-to-back. Season 6 is quite possibly the worst season of television I've ever watched, and it certainly is the worst season of any show in my top ten, twenty even.

I have an interesting little thought for you guys, and it's an opinion I've always held, especially since the season that followed Day 5 was, as I said, horrible:

24 should've ended on a downer with the fifth season, with Jack Bauer being kidnapped by the Chinese, his fate left unknown, unresolved. After spending five days with this man and watching him save the world, investing that level of attachment to Jack Bauer and rooting for him the whole way through, with Bauer sacrificing everything - Teri, his relationship with Kim, his friends - in order to save the United States from destruction, for him to be abducted by the Chinese government. Could he be abandoned? Will he be rescued? Will he die in a Chinese prison cell, alone and broken?

I think if 24 was just the first five seasons, it would be the greatest TV show of all time, save for The Wire. Those five seasons were some of the best ever aired, the first and last especially. Am I dead wrong here or does anyone agree it should've ended that way?
    "24"

This is why I couldn't find this thread. Typed in 24 and all it brought up was reference to Bond 24! X_X

And kudos to you @StirredNotShaken for your mutual love of The Wire. A show I am currently watching again for the however-many-times it is. :-)
    The Wire is the best thing ever made by humanity. The scary thing is that that statement is not an over-exaggeration.
    Agreed, although Sopranos pushes it mightily close.

Often referred to by many critics as the "closest thing to a televised novel". It's hard to disagree. Every character is brilliantly written. Every performance is knockout and the story?, it's just layer upon layer upon layer upon layer upon layer.

I'm gushing I know, but everyone who watches The Wire will be too.
    I know. I've told countless people about it with that level of enthusiasm and they're all like "Oh fuck off already, there's no way it's that good." and my response is just "Watch the first six episodes. If you aren't in love with this show after that your head is screwed on wrong."
    McNulty, Freaman, Rawls, Bunk, Omar, Stringer, Marlo, Michael, Dukie, Carver, Greggs, Avon, The Greek, Prop Joe, Snoop, Bodie...

The list of great characters goes on and on and on.
    I tried making a top twenty characters list. The Mission: Impossible theme started playing in the background. Though I don't know if I would call Snoop one of the best characters. All of her development was in one scene.

Also, you're forgetting some of the docks characters (yes, I'm a fan of the second season). Frank Sobotka was one of the best things about the whole show. And though Ziggy was an annoying little bastard, he grows on you, he was fantastically written and acted, and his character arc was perfect. I really enjoyed Nick as well.
    Double post
    Yes I was going to mention Frank, Nick etc but quite honestly I had to stop at some point or i'd have gone on till i mentioned them all ;-)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I am really looking forward to the new series! I loved the first series of 24. Some seasons rocked, some didn't but it was a solid good show with actors I really enjoyed. I am willing to give them a chance for sure. I definitely want to see it. Happy to have Keifer back on tv in this particular role.